Guns and Shit

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mbasic

Re: Guns and Shit

Post by mbasic » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:14 pm

aurelius wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:02 am https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/20/us/sout ... index.html

People are carrying on pontoon boats. Did I miss a memo? I would not describe a leisure lake as a high crime area.
brah? ... The "High Seas" of Lake Keowee? apparently pirates and what not .

For anyone that doesn't want to clicking on the link or whatever, this one's a wild story....I'll copy-paste below.
A person being shot by another person is the very LEAST unusual/uncommon detail in this story. fuck
South Carolina prosecutors decided not to file charges in a case where a man who fell off a recreational watercraft was fatally shot by his rescuer, according to the Oconee County Sheriff's Office.
Prosecutors ruled the shooting self-defense, the sheriff's office said in a statement.

The incident occurred Tuesday afternoon, when a man and woman -- neither wearing life jackets -- fell off a Jet Ski into Lake Keowee, the sheriff's office said in an earlier news release, citing the information and evidence gathered in the investigation.
A couple on a nearby pontoon boat saw the man and woman "in distress in the water" and brought them on board, the sheriff's office said, as the Jet Ski continued doing circles in the lake.

"The man, who had been rescued, became agitated and began assaulting the couple on the pontoon," the statement said. "Investigators have been told that the man may have wanted to get back to the Jet Ski."
The rescued woman tried to de-escalate the situation by pushing the agitated man back into the water, the statement said. The couple then helped him back in the boat a second time.
Another confrontation occurred, the sheriff's office said, and the man on the pontoon boat "shot the man fearing for his and his wife's life while being assaulted."
The man died on the pontoon boat, per the sheriff's office.
Ultimately, 10th Circuit Solicitor David Wagner found the shooting was done in self-defense, per the sheriff's office, after investigators met with the solicitor's office this week to present evidence in the case.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:32 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:14 pm
aurelius wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:02 am https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/20/us/sout ... index.html

People are carrying on pontoon boats. Did I miss a memo? I would not describe a leisure lake as a high crime area.
brah? ... The "High Seas" of Lake Keowee? apparently pirates and what not .

For anyone that doesn't want to clicking on the link or whatever, this one's a wild story....I'll copy-paste below.
A person being shot by another person is the very LEAST unusual/uncommon detail in this story. fuck
South Carolina prosecutors decided not to file charges in a case where a man who fell off a recreational watercraft was fatally shot by his rescuer, according to the Oconee County Sheriff's Office.
Prosecutors ruled the shooting self-defense, the sheriff's office said in a statement.

The incident occurred Tuesday afternoon, when a man and woman -- neither wearing life jackets -- fell off a Jet Ski into Lake Keowee, the sheriff's office said in an earlier news release, citing the information and evidence gathered in the investigation.
A couple on a nearby pontoon boat saw the man and woman "in distress in the water" and brought them on board, the sheriff's office said, as the Jet Ski continued doing circles in the lake.

"The man, who had been rescued, became agitated and began assaulting the couple on the pontoon," the statement said. "Investigators have been told that the man may have wanted to get back to the Jet Ski."
The rescued woman tried to de-escalate the situation by pushing the agitated man back into the water, the statement said. The couple then helped him back in the boat a second time.
Another confrontation occurred, the sheriff's office said, and the man on the pontoon boat "shot the man fearing for his and his wife's life while being assaulted."
The man died on the pontoon boat, per the sheriff's office.
Ultimately, 10th Circuit Solicitor David Wagner found the shooting was done in self-defense, per the sheriff's office, after investigators met with the solicitor's office this week to present evidence in the case.
Riding a Jetski with no PFD while drunk or high is likely to kill you. Apparently this remains true even if a nearby boat picks you up before you drown.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:53 pm

I'm guessing the Captain (lolz) of the Pontoon , didn't want to take the fallen jet skier back to the ghost-riding jet ski....if memory serves me correct, the steering automatically goes to one side and the throttle just idles down and they'll just barely spin in a circle a slow rate. I remember getting back on a small one (small jet ski, Artic Cat brand) in the lake and it wasn't terrible. One person getting on a JetSki that is set up as a two-person ski shouldn't be THAT bad .... Ususally getting two people on one is bad. You could probably 'loan' him a PFD and take him to go retrieve it himself.

...but alas, its obvious at this point the guy is probably drunk....so then you're responsible if he dies on the 2nd go 'round I suppose.

...and then I guess, you've thrown down some kind of gauntlet, or insulting his JetSkimanship skills in front of his Lady by not taking him back to retake command of his ship!

I think I would pay $2 ....no $3 !!! for a fly-on-the-wall video of this whole interaction, up to and right before the gunshot.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:14 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:53 pm I'm guessing the Captain (lolz) of the Pontoon , didn't want to take the fallen jet skier back to the ghost-riding jet ski....if memory serves me correct, the steering automatically goes to one side and the throttle just idles down and they'll just barely spin in a circle a slow rate. I remember getting back on a small one (small jet ski, Artic Cat brand) in the lake and it wasn't terrible. One person getting on a JetSki that is set up as a two-person ski shouldn't be THAT bad .... Ususally getting two people on one is bad. You could probably 'loan' him a PFD and take him to go retrieve it himself.

...but alas, its obvious at this point the guy is probably drunk....so then you're responsible if he dies on the 2nd go 'round I suppose.

...and then I guess, you've thrown down some kind of gauntlet, or insulting his JetSkimanship skills in front of his Lady by not taking him back to retake command of his ship!

I think I would pay $2 ....no $3 !!! for a fly-on-the-wall video of this whole interaction, up to and right before the gunshot.
Exactly. It is a no win situation for Captain Pontoon from the moment he sees the two jet ski riders in the water.
Can't leave him there, duty to rescue on the water
Can't put him back on his own craft, responsible for whoever he kills with his drunken antics.
Can't keep him on the boat, he attacks .
In hindsight, the best chance for de-escalation would have been giving him a flotation device the second time he was in the water, and leaving him there.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:59 pm

Philbert wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:32 pm
Riding a Jetski with no PFD while drunk or high is likely to kill you. Apparently this remains true even if a nearby boat picks you up before you drown.
Probably good to have a wetsuit over your butt as well.

https://surgicalcasereports.springerope ... 20-00993-9

"Douche injury is a rare consequence of water recreation activities. Generally, this type of trauma occurs when people fall into the water in a sitting position during high-speed activities such as using a personal watercraft (PWC). Here, we report a rare case of anorectal injury caused by water jets from a PWC during sudden acceleration from rest."

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:07 pm

Jumrobe wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:49 pm I've gone down the AR rabbit hole the last two years. What started as one build to scratch the itch has turned into 4 builds, each successive build with better components than the last, and a fifth in process.

Latest build is going to be an 18" SPR with a Criterion barrel, ADM billet upper and lower, and Trijicon Credo 1-8x28. I'll be curious to see how this shoots compared to by current 16" REECE build with a Rosco barrel, M4E1 Upper, and Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10x24. That gun shoots 1-1.5 MOA all day with match ammo on 9 shot groups.
How do you like the Credo? Thinking of the 1-6 on a new 16" BCM.

Jumrobe

Post by Jumrobe » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:55 pm

BostonRugger wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:07 pm
It’s pretty nice. The 1-8 has both green and red illumination, and they’re both true daylight bright on 4/5. The segmented circle with the MRAD marked duplex is fast up close, but useable at long range. 8x eye box is more forgiving than the other LPVOs I’ve had with that top end.

Which reticle are you thinking for the 1-6?

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:29 am

Jumrobe wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:55 pm
BostonRugger wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:07 pm
It’s pretty nice. The 1-8 has both green and red illumination, and they’re both true daylight bright on 4/5. The segmented circle with the MRAD marked duplex is fast up close, but useable at long range. 8x eye box is more forgiving than the other LPVOs I’ve had with that top end.

Which reticle are you thinking for the 1-6?
I got the red BDC segmented circle on the 1-6. It, along with many other items, is currently in ground transit hell. Pray for my rifle, u guise

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:05 am

BostonRugger wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:29 am It, along with many other items, is currently in ground transit hell. Pray for my rifle, u guise
Thoughts and prayers

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:27 pm

Went to the range this afternoon. After ~250rds, I want to take a nap more than I want to lift.

5hout wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:05 am
BostonRugger wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:29 am It, along with many other items, is currently in ground transit hell. Pray for my rifle, u guise
Thoughts and prayers
Everything to make it go bang arrived safely (blessed). Needs a pin&weld bc MA, but then it’s good to go.

Jumrobe

Post by Jumrobe » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:23 pm

BostonRugger wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:27 pm Went to the range this afternoon. After ~250rds, I want to take a nap more than I want to lift.

Everything to make it go bang arrived safely (blessed). Needs a pin&weld bc MA, but then it’s good to go.
What did you think of the Credo?

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:26 am

My brother asks me to look into stuff for him(not internet savvy at all) and he needs a new gun belt(ie belt to hold his pistol holster). Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:55 am

hsilman wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:26 am My brother asks me to look into stuff for him(not internet savvy at all) and he needs a new gun belt(ie belt to hold his pistol holster). Any recommendations that won't break the bank?
I recently purchased a belt from https://www.hanksbelts.com/ . I purchased their steel core belt, this is a somewhat smaller belt top to bottom (and is slightly thicker than most as a result) with a spring steel core running through most the belt. It is somewhat hard to put holster on, because of the thickness. Once on they feel rock solid, no wobble and no movement at all when drawing.

The fit and finish of the "seconds" belt I purchased (sold cheap b/c of damage) was about equal to a normal belt from a nice store. It may have been atypical, and their seconds are normally worse, but I was very pleased. If I buy another gun belt (which I may, the steel core is interesting, but has some downsides (i.e. is so stiff switching pants is a process, so basically must be installed on a pant and left there) I will go straight to Hanks again. With a semi-good holster (2 strap Alien IWB) it holds a Gov sized 1911 on one hip and a mag holder on the other hip with no problem or flexing.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:04 am

Jumrobe wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:23 pm
BostonRugger wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:27 pm Went to the range this afternoon. After ~250rds, I want to take a nap more than I want to lift.

What did you think of the Credo?
I didn't get it out to the range yet. Massachusetts upholds a version of the old AWB laws so for a rifle with removable magazine capable of BLAH BLAH BLAH, you can't have a flash hider. If it has a threaded barrel, you need a non-flash hider muzzle device pinned on so you couldn't even THINK about attaching a super killy, evil flash hider. For the health and safety of my (figurative) dog, I'm gonna take it to the gunsmith before I take it to the range.

hsilman wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:26 am My brother asks me to look into stuff for him(not internet savvy at all) and he needs a new gun belt(ie belt to hold his pistol holster). Any recommendations that won't break the bank?
https://www.bluealphabelts.com/product- ... edc-belts/

I have the "EDC Belt" and I really like it. The nylon webbing is very stiff. The design is such that there are three layers of it overlapped in front at 12-1 o'clock where I wear my gun. Also, using velcro instead of traditional belt holes means you have infinitely fine adjustment, allowing wearer to make it exactly tight enough to hold the gun up, but not so tight that it will dig into you. Got a little fatter or decided to get less fat? No problem, fine adjustment keeps the gun riding properly.

The "low profile" option appears to be the same thing with a different buckle. $42+shipping.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:08 am

Thinking about it, I wondered if Pioneer started making their gun belt with the "pioneer cut." They do.

Because niche forum is niche:

https://generalleathercraft.com/product ... ork-belts/

Patented design by our very own @TwoFoursStrohm. I don't have one of these, but it covers the fine adjustment thing and is available in Pioneer's leather options.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:26 am

BostonRugger wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:08 am Thinking about it, I wondered if Pioneer started making their gun belt with the "pioneer cut." They do.

Because niche forum is niche:

https://generalleathercraft.com/product ... ork-belts/

Patented design by our very own @TwoFoursStrohm. I don't have one of these, but it covers the fine adjustment thing and is available in Pioneer's leather options.
Holy shit I didn't know that! I had actually thought of cutting a blank belt b/c I want the fine adjustment. Ordering right now.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Mon May 09, 2022 3:41 pm

Would be interesting to see opinions here on the army apparently moving back to a relatively big heavy rifle shooting a big heavy bullet.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Mon May 09, 2022 9:39 pm

mikeylikey wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:41 pm Would be interesting to see opinions here on the army apparently moving back to a relatively big heavy rifle shooting a big heavy bullet.
The battle rifle! About time. 6.8mm in da house!!!!

Army had concerns over Russian and Chinese body armor reducing the effectiveness of the 5.56mm. Also, this is a weapons system complete with suppression and optics. Modern optics has improved the effectiveness of single fire in basic combat troops.

I’d be less confident if the Army didn’t have 20 years of recent infantry combat to base this ‘improved’ rifle on.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 10, 2022 5:45 am

Late on the belt answer but these are the best around in my totally valuable opinion... I've had mine for 7+ years now, worn everyday for the most part, still great...

https://www.originalsoegear.com/collect ... ofile-belt

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 10, 2022 5:48 am

mikeylikey wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:41 pm Would be interesting to see opinions here on the army apparently moving back to a relatively big heavy rifle shooting a big heavy bullet.
Will it make 5.56 more bountiful/cheaper? If so I'm all in...