Guns and Shit

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Re: Guns and Shit

Post by aurelius » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:07 am

mouse wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:56 amIf Queen Andy Jr signs all the shit that they're cooking up?

Licensing to own/purchase/sell any/all semi-automatic rifles, bumping the age from 18 to 21 for semi-automatics, body armor bans, microstamping (huge eye roll), expanded red flag powers, and creating a whole new AG dept for policing Tik Tok posts to name a few...
I like the raising the age limit proposals to own semi-autos. I don’t think 21 is enough. Medical science points to 25 as the age the brain is ‘fully’ formed. Example: Insurance companies reflect this by offering lower rates once someone reaches 25.

Just considering school shootings if that is the goal:
raising the age to own semi-autos to 25 would target all school shootings to date.
Under 25 accounts for about 25% of all mass shootings.

Of course this would require actual enforcement including enforcement of existing laws.

Culican

Post by Culican » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:42 pm

It's interesting that 25 was chosen as the minimum age for a member of the House of Representatives before this science existed.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:45 pm

aurelius wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:07 amI like the raising the age limit proposals to own semi-autos. I don’t think 21 is enough. Medical science points to 25 as the age the brain is ‘fully’ formed. Example: Insurance companies reflect this by offering lower rates once someone reaches 25.
Agree.
Just considering school shootings if that is the goal:
raising the age to own semi-autos to 25 would target all school shootings to date.
Sill agree, although, I can name several off the top of my head where shooter's gun was nominally owned by the parents.
Under 25 accounts for about 25% of all mass shootings.
Yeah but like 90% of mass shootings aren't done with rifles anyway.

Because most 'mass shootings' are not psychos killing random strangers but criminals killing specific targets (often other criminals) for Reasons. And when you want to shoot someone who probably has an inkling you would like to do so, you have to get close enough without them knowing it and the requires a concealed handgun; coincidentally the weapon used in about 90% of all gun murders.
Of course this would require actual enforcement including enforcement of existing laws.
If we have to include caveats like "assuming the government almost kinda does its job" we're gonna be here all day.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:55 pm

mikeylikey wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:45 pmI can name several off the top of my head where shooter's gun was nominally owned by the parents.
Firearm ownership is a right but that does not negate the responsibility of firearm ownership. Anyone that owns a firearm should be responsible for it. That includes preventing access to the firearm for unauthorized people. Reasonable steps like locking up firearms should be expected and enforced. Pretty one of the Spiderman movies covered this.

I'm not looking to add more people to jail unless there are mitigating circumstances. [those parents of that one school shooting 100% need to go to jail] But if people fail to properly own firearms and/or allow unauthorized persons access, they should lose the right to own firearms. It could be an increasing scale of severity (think driving infractions). First offense the right is suspended for a defined term up to permanent ban.
mikeylikey wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:45 pmYeah but like 90% of mass shootings aren't done with rifles anyway.

Because most 'mass shootings' are not psychos killing random strangers but criminals killing specific targets (often other criminals) for Reasons. And when you want to shoot someone who probably has an inkling you would like to do so, you have to get close enough without them knowing it and the requires a concealed handgun; coincidentally the weapon used in about 90% of all gun murders.
Agreed the 'organized' criminal element is harder to address. Even though I think this would have a positive impact. I'm not looking for perfect. How do we make things like active shooter drills in elementary schools a thing of the past?

Virtually all mass shootings are done with semi-automatics (I suppose Doc Holiday could reload a six shooter fast enough). I propose banning gun ownership for semi-automatic firearms for anyone under the age of 25. I do not think limiting it to rifles would have a significant impact. In a confined space is a Glock 9mm with 20 round mag significantly less lethal than an AR-15? Probably not.
mikeylikey wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:45 pmIf we have to include caveats like "assuming the government almost kinda does its job" we're gonna be here all day.
That is true of everything. More of referring to Republicans passing something then immediately defunding the enforcement mechanism and claiming it doesn't work (one of their go to tactics).

Age is easy. Age targets a specific issue (school shootings) we all agree needs to end while likely having 'positive' impacts on gun culture in general. It isn't subject to a government official making a subjective call (red flag laws). And it is kind of weird the US won't let someone drink at 18 because we don't trust their judgement. But if they wanted to open carry a weapon of mass destruction go right ahead!

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:24 am

I find it weird the pushback by some people to bump ownership up to 21 (where its currently 18) in some areas.

I'd sign off on 25 for the semi-autos (pistols and/or rifles and/or shotguns).

==============

When I was a kid, in my state for pistols it was age 21 ...rifle/shotgun was 18.

At age 18 or 19, I bought a used AT-9 Feather ....POS but it looked cool/like an Uzi at the time (1990?) and was cheap so I got it.
It had a 16-1/2" barrel, was technically a rifle, but shot 9mm.
Gun stores would not sell me 9mm ammo because it was "pistol ammo" and "you're only 18".....but yet, they sold me the gun.
(I think the mom-&-pop sporting goods store sold me the gun and ammo, but later on, Walmart, globo-Sporting-goods store, etc would not sell me the ammo).
I had my friend's brother buy it for me and reimbursed him.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:17 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:24 am I find it weird the pushback by some people to bump ownership up to 21 (where its currently 18) in some areas.

At the risk of picking nits, do you mean handguns in general, or magazine fed autoloaders. I.E. could <25 own revolvers?

Your parentheses implied an order of operations that I wasn't sure if you intended.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:15 pm

It should be noted, you already have to be 21 to buy a handgun.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:00 pm

mikeylikey wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:17 pm
mbasic wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:24 am I find it weird the pushback by some people to bump ownership up to 21 (where its currently 18) in some areas.

At the risk of picking nits, do you mean handguns in general, or magazine fed autoloaders. I.E. could <25 own revolvers?

Your parentheses implied an order of operations that I wasn't sure if you intended.
semiauto rifles, pistols, and autoloading shotguns 25. Permit required

All other pistols 21. I'll say a 6 to 8 shot revolver isn't much of a mass shooting threat, due to the reloading issue. A guy/gal would have to TRAIN with speed reloaders ....lolz, the pussy-fuck-potentional shooter is going to do the math on that, and know he'll get bumrushed while fumbling around with a revolver. (unless in Ulvalde)
Fuck it. ALL other firearms at age 21.

Exceptions made for manual action hunting rifles and shotguns, for ages 14-21 ...ONLY WITH completion of extensive hunter/firearm safety coarse outlined in my previous post. Cost of the permits to own these guns, pay for courses and admin.

I'm so pissed now.

=======================

Get ready to lock up a bunch of non-compliers, and low level criminals/gang-bangers caught with guns.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:03 pm

aurelius wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:15 pm It should be noted, you already have to be 21 to buy a handgun.
Is that everywhere though? Alaska, Texas, the south, Utah, etc?

Fuck, that whole (stupid as fuck) argument that a 18 y.o. kid can go to war with an AR15 aand kill people but can't (say if we raise the min. age) buy an AR15 in his country is kinda moot then.

Why Yes, we already say he can't own a pistol. WTF

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:53 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:03 pm
aurelius wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:15 pm It should be noted, you already have to be 21 to buy a handgun.

Fuck, that whole (stupid as fuck) argument that a 18 y.o. kid can go to war with an AR15 aand kill people but can't (say if we raise the min. age) buy an AR15 in his country is kinda moot then.

Maybe 18 is too young to go to war.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:04 am

In Michigan you can purchase a pistol from a private seller at 18 by 1st going to the appropriate sheriff's office, obtaining a License to Purchase a Pistol permit (some will claim they cannot issue it to you, afaik any state police office OR the police responsible for your home residence can (after several hours of calling around to many different local police departments every single one denied having jurisdiction over my prior house) but ymmv), then purchase from a private seller, then fill out a RI-060 form within the appropriate time frame and file it.*

As I was over 21 I found it easier to get a CPL which eliminates the 1st license to purchase part and merely requires a post-sale RI-060 filing (failure to do so is a misdemeanor).

*Also, remembering that MI's concealed carry laws are very strict and it's hard to technically comply with them without having a CPL, so if you are 18/19/20 and can't have a CPL you should probably not be carrying your technically legal pistol anywhere, and driving only to/from the range with it appropriately stored in the back and all documentation on you ymmv/not your lawyer/seek legal advice before being fucked.
Last edited by 5hout on Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:19 am

mikeylikey wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:53 am

Maybe 18 is too young to go to war.
probably, lets do 21 !

--------------------------------------------

Another thing: kids that "go to war" (join the military for free college), are actually training to quite a degree to handle, shoot, etc firearms.
We are not requiring that of 18y.o.non-military kids buying AR15s whatsoever.

Sure, that training (say in the case of a civilian being required to take class/pass a training course) might not directly assess mental health, character, etc .... but its SOMETHING that sorta acts as a barrier to entry or a filter.
IOW: requiring SOMEKIND of training or commitment to but a firearm/AR15 .... I bet a lot of your whackjobs would get filtered out thru this training/class.

I guess a funny (not funny) trade off is making a whackjob who 'scoots' thru the program/system,more proficient at firearms use. :?

===============================

Prediction: no one will do jack shit, and this problem will get kick down the road for another 10 years

Cellist

Post by Cellist » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:46 am

In “another” investigation, the FBI shows that the Colt 45 examined after being taken from the hands of Trump double A. Baldwin can not have been fired without him pulling the trigger. In an interview with the fallen cable news anchor Chris Cuomo, the ignorant actor arrogantly continues to claim it would be possible if the hammer was pulled back far enough and that this is how “fanning” works with a revolver. Sure, it was supposed to be loaded with dummies, but even if you call it a work place accident, it’s bothersome to see how he finds it a necessary part of his defense strategy to publicly claim he had no fault whatsoever in the face of such evidence.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:04 am

Cellist wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:46 am In “another” investigation, the FBI shows that the Colt 45 examined after being taken from the hands of Trump double A. Baldwin can not have been fired without him pulling the trigger. In an interview with the fallen cable news anchor Chris Cuomo, the ignorant actor arrogantly continues to claim it would be possible if the hammer was pulled back far enough and that this is how “fanning” works with a revolver. Sure, it was supposed to be loaded with dummies, but even if you call it a work place accident, it’s bothersome to see how he finds it a necessary part of his defense strategy to publicly claim he had no fault whatsoever in the face of such evidence.
Another disconnect:
Baldwin’s attorney said in April that the OSHA investigation “exonerates” The Cooler Oscar nominee. It concluded that Rust Movie Productions LLC’s management “knew that firearm safety procedures were not being followed on set and demonstrated plain indifference to employee safety by failing to review work practices and take corrective action” when the tragedy happened.
It kinda made my head spin for a minute, as Baldwin (i think) is Producing the movie, so Baldwin is at fault for running a reckless movie set.

I guess Baldwin the person/actor isn't responsible, but Rust LLC is now? and Baldwin is a part owner of that?
So i guess the plan is to get his entity to take the fall rather him the person which is SOP and the whole purpose for the LLC.

Cellist

Post by Cellist » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:00 pm

To be clear, this is shitposting. Yeah, so he‘s taken the victimhood angle too the limit:

Alec Baldwin Feared Trump Supporters Would Kill Him After ‘Rust’ Shooting: I Was ‘1000% Nervous’

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/alec ... 235345679/

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:14 am

Cellist wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:00 pm To be clear, this is shitposting. Yeah, so he‘s taken the victimhood angle too the limit:

Alec Baldwin Feared Trump Supporters Would Kill Him After ‘Rust’ Shooting: I Was ‘1000% Nervous’

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/alec ... 235345679/
Are celebrities mentally ill before they become celebrities, or do they become mentally ill because they became celebrities?

Chicken or the egg...

Week and a half away from mom/pop gun shops de facto getting shut down in NYS... Sept 1 begins the requirements for licenses to buy semi-auto rifles+shotguns and conduct state background checks for all ammunition purchases... shockingly their isn't an infrastructure or guidance on how to do either!
Just pass the laws and let God sort em out!

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:01 am

TIL that (most all) dummy rounds used on movie sets have the primers removed (and stay removed), and powder replaced by two ball bearings so that rounds rattle. You can visually see that there's no primer and/or Helen fucking Keller could feel them rattle within her hands.

Cellist

Post by Cellist » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:16 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:01 am TIL that (most all) dummy rounds used on movie sets have the primers removed (and stay removed), and powder replaced by two ball bearings so that rounds rattle. You can visually see that there's no primer and/or Helen fucking Keller could feel them rattle within her hands.
BBs, not ball bearings as:
It has become ubiquitous to refer to any steel ball, such as a BB, as a "ball bearing". However, BBs should not be confused with a ball bearing, which is a mechanical component using small internal rolling balls to reduce friction between moving parts of machines

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:04 pm

Cellist wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:16 am
mbasic wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:01 am TIL that (most all) dummy rounds used on movie sets have the primers removed (and stay removed), and powder replaced by two ball bearings so that rounds rattle. You can visually see that there's no primer and/or Helen fucking Keller could feel them rattle within her hands.
BBs, not ball bearings as:
It has become ubiquitous to refer to any steel ball, such as a BB, as a "ball bearing". However, BBs should not be confused with a ball bearing, which is a mechanical component using small internal rolling balls to reduce friction between moving parts of machines
I was thinking that had to be wrong ("BBs"), cuz recalling in my mind what the case head of a typical pistol/rifle round looks like the primer dia is a lot of larger than a BB. But alas, googling it a bit .... there's a secondary hole up inside the brass case smaller than the face of the primer
(that's smaller than a "BB").

So BB it is.

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:14 pm

All this chatter about ball bearings is inviting more traffic from North Central Texas, guys.