A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Fossil

Re: Re:

Post by Fossil » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:11 pm

DCR wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:38 am
Fossil wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:20 pm
DCR wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:42 pm
Here for all the purposes. I had horrific experiences on full shrooms but microdosing has been fantastic. I take them in pill form. The best way that I can describe the feeling on them is “grateful.” There is an enhancement of an otherwise good experience - say a night out with friends, from, “This is fun,” to, “I’m fortunate and glad that I’m here having this fun.”
I'm glad I'm not the only one around here who praises the value of psilocybin!
After having a reasonably noticeable reaction from 0.2 grams (and even less) I have a hard time understanding how 16-year-old me was able to casually do 2+ grams week in and week out lol. I've never really had a bad experience but I think this time around, when I do take a full dose it will be on the low end of what constitutes a "full dose."
@Hanley is the psilocybin prophet. Perhaps he'll weigh in on his recent experiences.
Ahh, so there is another.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:14 pm

Farmers Walk:
55 L/R x 50m (4.5 laps)
80 L/R x 100m (6, 3 and 1 laps)

Didn't really go as planned. Figured I'd at least match last session but I don't really mind as my form was much, much better this session. Lats and all the small back muscles feel really great and my left shoulder feels a lot more mobile, so I may not have hit the numbers I had planned but made up for it in terms of quality.
The grip gives out so quickly with my left hand so it's probably for the best I'm getting some lighter volume with the lighter warmup laps. They definitely primed my back, which kept everything rigid.

Somehow managed to completely forget about this until after I was done with the farmers walks...

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Heels feeling way less ache-y, so the non-weighted rope is the way to go for the time being. It's so strange to me that that inch or two can be much more of an impact on my body but that seems to be the case. Hoping to ease back into the weighted rope. Might have to work up in minutes, starting at one then adding a minute each week or so, slowly replacing the regular rope warmups with the weighted rope.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:57 pm

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Front Squat:
100 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 5
175 x 5
205 x 3

This weekend I felt like I was coming down with something: cough, sneezing etc. but today I was feeling better. Still didn't feel as strong as I figured I should have today but all good.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:21 pm

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

One-Arm Overhead Press:
25 x 5 L/R
35 x 5 L/R
40 x 5 L/R
50 x 5 L/R
57 x 4 L/R

Last set on the left was really ugly. Wanted to do something today to keep on schedule (and because I wanted to lift) but my ow back was fatigued from front squats yesterday so, shouldn't have expected much. Gotta reign in these changes - too many too soon is not going to do me any favors, I know that much. And after months of being on the same program (I think it was 4-5 when I started the twice a week 5x5 thing) and all of a sudden I make a slight alteration and think a million more won't do any harm.
Just have to remember to re-read this before next session lol.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:16 pm

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Farmers Walk:
55 L/R x 50m (4.5 laps)
80 L/R x 100m (6 and 3 laps)

Wrapping the thumb around the index finger seems to help a lot. Only figured that out when I was putting everything away...

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:04 pm

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Front Squat:
100 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 5
175 x 5
205 x 4

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:59 pm

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

One-Arm Overhead Press:
25 x 5 L/R
35 x 5 L/R
40 x 5 L/R
50 x 5 L/R
57 x 5 L/R

Felt great. Figured out how to use my left thumb to actually create some tension and not press with relaxed hands. Much stronger.
The tendon they "restrung" to make my new thumb affects the elbow, which greatly affects the shoulder - actively using my left fingers and thumb to grip released every part of my left shoulder in a way I've never felt.

Been tinkering with the idea of hitting "total reps" on the last set via rest-pause until eight consecutive reps are completed (after two ramp up sets.) I'd rather do more reps with the top weight than ramp up with submax weights. That doesn't do much for me. I might wait a bit on that though... haven't really decided, but numbers wise, the rest-pause thing comes out with slightly more tonnage in fewer sets.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:02 pm

Skipped the jump rope. Came down with a mild case of epididymitis. It sucks, but it's 1/10th as bad as the bout I had about a decade ago. I fear jump rope might tip that fraction; not worth the risk.

Farmers Walk:
55 L/R x 50m (2.5 laps)
80 L/R x 100m (4 + 1 trips)

Altered the "course" I take to minimize the number of turns I have to do. It's a big L-shape now vs the back and forth on a straight path.
Was so surprised at how well everything felt I kind of forgot I was planning on rest-pausing everything. Still, I didn't take more than 30-40 seconds between the initial four trips and the final one.

The + denotes 5-10 deep breaths, which times out to ~20-40 seconds.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:07 pm

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

One-Arm Overhead Press:
35 x 8 L/R
45 x 8 L/R
57 x 7 L/R

Front Squat:
135 x 8
175 x 8
205 x 5

Pretty quickly realized rest-pause would probably be a cop-out for me, so decided to go all out like the last rep was going to be *the last rep*, and it was.
Had it in my head that I would go to complete positive failure on the last set of front squats but as soon as the fifth rep locked out it wasn't even a consideration to descend into another rep lol.
Really good pump though. I pushed the pace a bit too hard so I had to wait to do the last set of squats. Start to finish was a little over 25 minutes.
Form never faltered on the tops sets.

Pretty enjoyable session and really not a departure from what I was doing in terms of reps - the plan would be to stick with 3-8 reps until the top end range is hit.
Might stick with this since I'm only doing the main lifts once a week so going all-out isn't as dreadful as doing it multiple times a week.
I do think me working fast took a little out of me, but that just means my base level of conditioning is terrible. It usually comes back quickly, though.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:30 pm

Brother made an last-minute trip to visit, so I've been eating out a lot, watching movies and not prioritizing this session.
The other night, on a whim, I decided to mess around with the barbell belt squat setup I've seen online. In theory I love the belt squat but there's almost no reliable way to do it without specialized equipment - although that has come a long way in terms of simplicity and affordability.
Long story short, I tried the barbell version I've seen online and it allows a complete ATG range of motion and is obviously much more conducive to high reps. It also takes no time to set up and I've got all the equipment I need. I even have a really, really old tow strap I knotted u about a decade ago and just kept around thinking if I ever needed to attach weight to myself, it makes a perfectly-sized, indestructible belt.
Thinking of running a 50-in-20 thing at the beginning of the year with belt squats, landmine presses and farmers walks. Sort of a "prehab" / movement pattern deload thing for a month or two. Maybe, maybe not. Will see how things go into next year.

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Farmers Walk:
55 L/R x 50m (2.5 laps)
80 L/R x 100m (3.5 +1.5 trips)

The full 100m distance, when done as one set, lasts i the neighborhood of a minute and a half. I can't remember the last time I did anything that had my person loaded for over a minute lol.
Just way too much turning in these indoor setups. The only way to make that easier is to get a stronger grip...

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:20 pm

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

One-Arm Overhead Press:
35 x 8 L/R
45 x 8 L/R
57 x 5 L/R
Okay never mind fuck this lol.
58 x 3 L/R

Looks like we're going back to the regularly scheduled programming lol.

This happens every time I push intensity really, really hard. Every time. I never ease into it because in theory [in my head...] it's a self-governing model of progression - you stop when you're done and the work you did should raise the ceiling of your strength.
I think it could work if I started weeks earlier with higher reps to begin with; a top set of as many as possible with the goal of 8... instead of trying to make a 5 rep max into an 8 rep max.
I have a really good press groove that I think would be smart to maintain and push as far as I can with 3-5s.

No big deal. The "real" top set felt great and the front squat reps are still on track to move up, I just won't go all out next session.

EDIT

About 11pm I did this, since I don't knwo what to do with this lift:

Farmer's Walk:
90 L/R x 40 yards, one re-grip.

I think I've convinced myself that heavier for less distance is better, given my space and grip limitations.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:36 pm

Was supposed to do this two days ago but work and social engagements got in the way.

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Front Squat:
105 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 5
210 x 3

Farmer's Walk:
90 L/R x 40 yards

Chalked up this time. Felt really good. Intentionally slowed down on the last lap to push the grip and lats under a bit more stress since this time around things were pretty easy.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:49 pm

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Jumps feel good. Figured out why my Achilles had been aching for so many weeks and corrected things. Turns out I wasn't really staying on the balls of my feet but instead using my heels too much like a slack spring.

One-Arm Overhead Press:
30 x 5 L/R
35 x 5 L/R
40 x 5 L/R
50 x 5 L/R
58 x 4 L/R

Just to remind myself, I went back to a "rearward" grip with the dumbbell and found I had less control on the ascent so went back to a choked-up grip, towards the front of the plates; closest to your shoulder if you're imaging the "rack" position.

Farmer's Walk:
95 L/R x 40 yards

Slowed the final stretch down a lot since grip wasn't an issue; I wanted to really hammer my back.
Heavier feels so much better from a development standpoint - it's not my fingers giving out that's limiting me anymore.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:17 pm

Rough day. Very worn out, mentally and physically.

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Front Squat:
105 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 5
210 x 4

I need to widen my rack position grip a bit. I always err on the side of a little narrower because it feels better, but it really doesn't put my upper back where it should be and puts the bar slightly forward so if a rep slows, I'm having to push more than I think I should with my hands.
Might have to hang out with this top weight but so be it - It's not like there are any front squat competitions around the corner...

Farmer's Walk:
100 L/R x 40 yards

All lats at this weight. Exactly what I was going for when I started doing these.

Been a very long stretch of solid progress - no aches or pains, consistently gaining mobility, I don't have to think about anything to do the lifts I'm doing and this way of eating I've adopted has made my life significantly more streamlined to the point where it's a non issue and I'm finally leaning out without being the least bit hungry.

(I hope I didn't just jinx everything...)

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:35 pm

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

One-Arm Overhead Press:
30 x 5 L/R
35 x 5 L/R
40 x 5 L/R
50 x 5 L/R
58 x 4 L/R

Probably had five on the left and definitely had it on the right but was feeling a little run down so stopped at four. Felt good though.

Farmer's Walk:
105 L/R x 40 yards

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:32 pm

Weighted Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Front Squat:
105 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 5
210 x 3

Now comes the immediate regret from changing things lol. I don't think I need to take a wider grip at all, just need to dial in my positions before unracking. Net week is going to be compressed since I'm traveling so I'll get to revisit this session in a few days.

Farmer's Walk:
110 L/R x 40 yards, one re-grip

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:22 pm

Heathenish weekend, sore throat and illness symptoms, nine hour road trip yesterday [location scout for a directing job I'm doing], sparse dietary choices because of a broken dishwasher + sink and OT at work... but hey, the show must go on...

Weighted Jump Rope:
5 minutes

One-Arm Overhead Press:
30 x 5 L/R
35 x 5 L/R
40 x 5 L/R
50 x 5 L/R
58 x 5 L/R

Left was a fight on that last rep. So was the right.

Farmer's Walk:
110 L/R x 40 yards, one re-grip

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:30 pm

Did this tonight since I'll be out of town for the next five days.

Weighted Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Front Squat:
105 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 5
210 x 3

The set at 185 was so bad I almost cut things short right there. I didn't anticipate back-to-back sessions affecting me but it's been so long since I've done anything like that I probably should've accounted for the fatigue. Rack position was great though, so that's back to normal.
Not super happy about the last set matching the backwards progress (lol) from last week, but at last my rack position feels good again.

Farmer's Walk:
110 L/R x 40 yards

To my surprise, these felt great.
Changed the kinds of plates I had on the farmer handles and I think switching to two 45s and a 10 make a big difference. With a bunch of change plates, the balance is way off with these handles.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:41 pm

At my parents place, a few days ago...

Front Foot Elevated Split Squat:
BW x 10 L/R
8 x 10 L/R
20 x 10 L/R

One Arm Military Press:
20 x 12 L/R
40 x 12 L/R

Suitcase Carry:
40 x 100 steps L/R

I really like the suitcase carries.
This was sort of a trial run using most of the lifts I plan to cycle in at some point. The split squats were done as the traveling / minimal equipment alternative to paused front squats.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:10 pm

Got back from visiting my family a few days ago but just did not feel like doing any lifting so put it off until tonight.
My brother said I could have a jump rope he never uses anymore and rarely ever did.
It's really nice and has a great spin since it uses bearings in the handles.

1/2lb Jump Rope:
5 minutes

One-Arm Overhead Press:
30 x 5 L/R
35 x 5 L/R
40 x 5 L/R
52 x 5 L/R
59 x 3 L/R

Top set was surprisingly easy. Thanks holiday calories.

Farmer's Walk:
115 L/R x 40 yards four re-grips

Those FWs were rough...