Fossil

Post by Fossil » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:17 pm

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Front Squat:
135 x 5
155 x 3
190 x 6

Last rep was faster than last time. Been sick for a few days, so I'll take it.

1-Arm DB OHP:
35 x 10 L/R
56 x 5 L/R

Fifth rep with the left arm was a fight.
Right arm was easy though.

Pull-Up:
BW x 3 + 2*

Wow these are awful. The third rep was hard, got mad and rested ten or fifteen seconds and tried a thumbless grip, which felt like it involved my arms a lot more and less of my fingers so I'll be using that.
Did the reps with my legs straight which immediately engaged my midsection.
Even after those crappy reps, the entire front of my torso was lit up.

I have a lot of work to do one these... and to think, almost exactly a year ago I did a party trick I used to pull out when the opportunity presented itself:
the middle finger pull-up. I really doubt I could do that now if sets of 3-5 with all my fingers is difficult lol.

DCR

Re:

Post by DCR » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:04 am

Fossil wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:17 pm Pull-Up:
BW x 3 + 2*

Wow these are awful. The third rep was hard, got mad and rested ten or fifteen seconds and tried a thumbless grip, which felt like it involved my arms a lot more and less of my fingers so I'll be using that.
Did the reps with my legs straight which immediately engaged my midsection.
Even after those crappy reps, the entire front of my torso was lit up.
Few things light up my core more than pullups in which I refuse to let myself go into anterior pelvic tilt.
Fossil wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:17 pmI have a lot of work to do one these... and to think, almost exactly a year ago I did a party trick I used to pull out when the opportunity presented itself:
the middle finger pull-up. I really doubt I could do that now if sets of 3-5 with all my fingers is difficult lol.
Tried to picture you whipping that out at random places and lol’d.

Fossil

Re: Re:

Post by Fossil » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:28 pm

DCR wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:04 am
Tried to picture you whipping that out at random places and lol’d.
Lol it always starts as a "watch this" and I put up my middle fingers and in some way motion towards the pull-up bar/staircase/beam etc and wait until I'm met with disbelief, then do a rep or three. Invariably, everyone starts doing (or attempting) drunken pull-ups for a few minutes.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:47 pm

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Pull-Up:
BW x 5

Felt stronger doing these first. Might keep it that way - will save me a trip down to the fitness center if I jump rope then do the pull-ups right after.

Front Squat:
135 x 5
155 x 3
190 x 7

While I can use a full grip rack, today I used a finger-tips-only rack and part of my wants to say it forced me to brace harder so the reps felt stronger in the hole. Hard to say since the pull-ups beforehand also activated my midsection.

1-Arm DB OHP:
35 x 10 L/R
56 x 6 L/R

Went back to a thumbless grip for pressing - just wanted to see if the bottom position was any easier, and it was. Overall I don't think it added much but it does keep my wrist in better alignment. I lifted with a thumbless grip for many years. I probably should've never changed that lol.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:09 pm

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Dropping the last 10ish pounds I've needed to lose for time immemorial so pull-ups might go up while everything else goes down. I do have two other "programs" that involve the "control variations" and one suited to high reps that I might use if the "main-main" lifts stall out. The high rep variations I've never really ran, outside of a few test reps that felt great, but the primary lifts would be landmine press, hip belt squat and ideally, neutral-grip pull-ups but the ancient "fitness center" at my place doesn't have anything with parallel handles so might have to get creative.

Pull-Up:
BW x 5

Front Squat:
135 x 5
155 x 3
190 x 7

Much better form, and held throughout the set. It's not weight on the bar, but it's very noticeable [to me] improvement. I'll gladly take it.

1-Arm DB OHP:
35 x 10 L/R
57 x 4 L/R

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:38 pm

Did this today since I have stuff to do tomorrow and don't really like lifting on Saturdays.
Update on the "fuck vegetables" thing I started doing awhile ago: still awesome. I feel great all the time and sleep better than I have in years. Never hungry either. It's a shame that all these online folks have turned the "no processed food" into an absolute cult. Once or twice a week I'll eat whatever, usually at some kind of social event.
For example: Last night I had a bunch of Whole Foods roast and squash for lunch, then about four hours later, had some olives, cured meats and three beers at a weekly work thing, and that was my dinner lol. After I got home I saw I needed a few thousand more steps to hit my "mandated" 10k so I spent 20 minutes on the treadmill reading then went to bed about an hour later. Didn't go to sleep hungry and didn't wake up hungry.
I never liked eating more than twice a day but generally I drink a glass of milk before work and when I work from home I'll eat around 10 or 11 and then eat once more around 8 or 9. Rarely anything in between.

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Pull-Up:
BW x 5

Tried for a sixth rep and got halfway up but I only count full reps so it was a good effort but no dice.
Figured out the grip that works best; Same width as a barbell overhead press.

Front Squat:
135 x 5
155 x 3
190 x 8

Every rep was pretty fast. Last one was difficult, but mores so from a "systemic" perspective.
Cool quad pump afterwards, too.
This lift is finally doing what I want it to do in terms of how it feels and looks. My quads just needed to adapt because they loved to exit the party and while I could still hit reps, they'd be pretty loopy and often bent a bit too far forward.
Not so much anymore - when things get heavy, my legs and torso just start moving slower.
The most satisfying part of this "invisible" progress is that both of my legs are finally contributing equally.

1-Arm DB OHP:
35 x 10 L/R
57 x 3 L/R

Straight up forgot to do this because I superset cooking dinner with lifting sometimes lol.
Came back two hours later after running some errands and thinking since I was fed and rested, it would be a decent lift.
Nope.
The few pounds of body weight I've lost show their effects in pressing stuff first. Could also be that the side hand tends to have much less consistency in the bottom / start position of the lift since there are fewer fingers and less surface area.
Last edited by Fossil on Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:20 pm

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Pull-Up:
BW x 5

those first three reps just flew but then things slowed... weird how that goes, but again, progress is progress.

Front Squat:
135 x 5
165 x 3
195 x 6

1-Arm DB OHP:
35 x 10 L/R
57 x 5 L/R

Last time was a skill issue. This time I paid more attention to where I grabbed the bell when I picked it up; the choked-up-on-the-handle grip basically prevents any mis-grooves.

DCR

Re:

Post by DCR » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:08 am

Fossil wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:38 pm This lift is finally doing what I want it to do in terms of how it feels and looks. My quads just needed to adapt because they loved to just exit the party and while I could still hit reps, they'd be pretty loop and often bent a bit too far forward.
Not so much anymore - when things get heavy, my legs and torso just start moving slower.
The most satisfying part of this "invisible" progress is that both of my legs are finally contributing equally.
That is precisely what I spent two (three?) months working out with my squat. I knew what I wanted it to look like, and made it so.

Fossil

Re: Re:

Post by Fossil » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:46 pm

DCR wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:08 am

That is precisely what I spent two (three?) months working out with my squat. I knew what I wanted it to look like, and made it so.
I think what benefited me the most was doing reps. It lets you "reset" each rep as though it were a single.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:52 pm

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Pull-Up:
BW x 5

Went back to using a "regular" grip on these.

Front Squat:
135 x 5
165 x 3
195 x 7

1-Arm DB OHP:
35 x 10 L/R
57 x 5 L/R

These felt great. Also went back to a full grip lol. Only lift that doesn't benefit - and seems to negatively affect - is the front squat.
Going to true failure on the left and while they aren't reps to add, the point of failure changes from week to week in that when earlier it was almost a non-starting rep is now a half rep.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:19 pm

Life and apathy turned this into a single-session week. Not super happy about that but not going to dwell on it either.

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Pull-Up:
BW x 4 + 1 + 1*

*Rest-pause
Might move these back to the end or something... weird to not be adding any reps.

Front Squat:
135 x 5
165 x 3
195 x 5

Went about as expected.

1-Arm DB OHP:
35 x 10 L/R
57 x 5 L/R

Surprisingly, these felt decent.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:52 pm

Tired today and I think from being stressed the past week+
Got home late and attempted to use the DIY belt squat rig abut after using a plate+20lbs, the tow strap I had dug into me way too much to be usable so I went back to my regularly scheduled programming, which is too bad because just from the one warm-up and several reps with more weight, I felt it more in my lower body than any squat variation I've ever done.

Front Squat:
135 x 5
165 x 3
195 x 3

Belt squat nonsense...

Then, using my old bent up bar:
135 x 3
185 x 3
205 x 2

1-Arm DB OHP:
35 x 10 L/R
57 x 2 L/R

Cleaned up my stance but it forces the shoulder girdle to work harder. Didn't expect such a dramatic drop in reps but here we are.

Pull-Up:
BW x 6

Was none to happy about how everything had gone so I just jumped onto the pull-up bar and started yanking. Helps that I've lost several pounds since last session - it doesn't help that most of that was water and I'm fairly certain I'm dehydrated.

Time to change to goalposts again and switch to something else...
Was exhausted today but still, I am burnt out on these lifts.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:57 pm

Front Squat:
135 x 5
165 x 3
195 x 6 + 2*

*rest-pause
Wanted to test something that ended up feeling pretty good.
Part of what didn't feel so great was the first set - jumping rope beforehand really is the best low-impact way to get everything warmed up.
No more skipping [no pun intended.]

1-Arm DB OHP:
35 x 10 L/R
57 x 3 L/R

Not what I wanted but this new form allows for less lean so it's really what I should've been using all along; Not trying to do a side press.

Pull-Up:
BW x 5

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:12 pm

Good session.
Glad I didn't switch things.
My intention was to start rest-pausing stuff but I'm not sure I wanna do that just yet since progress does seem like it's inching forward.

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Front Squat:
135 x 5
165 x 3
195 x 8

1-Arm DB OHP:
35 x 10 L/R
57 x 5 L/R

Pull-Up:
BW x 6

DCR

Re: Fossil's Training Log

Post by DCR » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:30 pm

Fossil wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:12 pm Good session.
My intention was to start rest-pausing stuff but I'm not sure I wanna do that just yet since progress does seem like it's inching forward.
Smart. I continue to asmire your perseverence and patience. I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen someone program hop less.

Fossil

Re: Fossil's Training Log

Post by Fossil » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:32 pm

DCR wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:30 pm
Fossil wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:12 pm Good session.
Smart. I continue to asmire your perseverence and patience. I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen someone program hop less.
I think it comes from the fact that my day-to-day life involves a lot of thinking and problem solving and the last thing I want to do is spend a lot of time analyzing the nuances of lifting heavy circles up and down lol.

Fossil

Post by Fossil » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:16 pm

Jump Rope:
5 minutes

Front Squat:
135 x 5
165 x 3
200 x 5

1-Arm DB OHP:
35 x 10 L/R
57 x 6 L/R

/\/\/\ Bout time for both \/ \/ \/

Pull-Up:
BW x 7

Narrowed my grip a little; I just reached up hard and that's where my grip ended up. Trying to get comfortable with the ranges I have to push so that I no longer have to.