Re-Thinking The Rack Choice

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Michiganian

Re-Thinking The Rack Choice

Post by Michiganian » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:01 am

Eventually (hopefully sooner, rather than later) I'll be acquiring either a power rack or squat rack. Planned use is squats, RDLs, and chest presses.

Basement ceiling height is only seven feet (84 in.), so a chin-up/pull-up bar is inconsequential, as I wouldn't be able to use it, anyway. Mainly only need enough height to comfortably start squats with my 6' 4" frame :)

I'd been thinking the Fitness Reality 810XLT Super Max Power Rack ($235 on Amazon). But, upon reflection, that rack doesn't seem particularly substantial. If I have to set down/drop the bar quickly, I don't want anything moving anywhere.

In the interest of safety, now I'm leaning towards either the Rep Fitness PR-1000 Power Rack, Rep Fitness PR-1100 Power Rack, or Titan Fitness T-2 Series Power Rack. Probably the PR-1000 or T-2 Series, for their 2-in. hole spacing.

Westside spacing through the chest-height area with a bench would be great, but, I think I'm going to have to forgo that to stay within my
±$400 budget, unless anybody has any suggestions?

James

Re: Re-Thinking The Rack Choice

Post by James » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:38 am

Either the rep or titan racks should be fine. I have an off brand rack I got off Amazon with close to the same design and the safety pin hole for bench is at the right height for a rogue flat bench. Just above my neck and below my chest when arched.

sera310

Post by sera310 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:19 am

I started with a light, inexpensive rack I bought used, to see if I would stick with a home gym and if so, what I liked & didn't without making a big investment. Pro: It was very inexpensive. Cons: it was light & wasn't bolted down, so on a vigorous re-rack, it would slide on the floor. There were almost no attachments for it. The 2-inch hole spacing was more of a hassle than I expected. I gave that one away and bought a heavier rack with lots of available attachments, with Westside spacing, that is bolted to the floor. IMO the difference is night & day, if you can afford it. I'd look for a used, good one rather than a new, inadequate one.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:45 am

My SML-1 has been butted up against the baseboards for 6 years, so the not being bolted down part is a non issue.
Actually having it free to move in that plane means less stress overall for the re racks.

Stand and spotter arms are rated for 1,000+ pounds.
I've set down 400+ pound squats on the safeties with no issue.

70" tall, but no pullup bar.
I have a separate pullup bar in another area.
So $595 with spotter arms before shipping.
https://www.roguefitness.com/sml-1-rogu ... quat-stand

Even before i had my platform figured out, just having it butted up againsl the baseboard worked perfectly well.
It never did drift laterally.

This is my heaviest squat in it.

James

Post by James » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:18 am

Like Wilhelm my rack is against a wall so I've never had it slide. I can get it to rock back a bit if I'm being particularly aggressive but the top of the rack would hit the wall before anything happened no matter how hard I pushed.

2x2 racks have a bunch of attachments now too the market kind of exploded.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:42 am

I've kind of given up on the rack idea. Being tall I need a lot of rack height, but, my ceiling being low (a skosh less than seven feet), just the right amount of height. Otherwise I'd end-up banging my head on cross-members getting in and out of the thing.

So I've decided to go in the direction of a squat stand, instead. Currently leaning toward the Rogue S-1 Squat Stand 2.0 and Infinity Spotter Arms or Titan Fitness T-3 Series Short Squat Stand and T-3 Series Spotter Arms if I want to save a buck or two.

Thanks for the comments, everybody!

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:17 am

Sounds like a good plan. It should fit your needs very well.
Looking forward to pictures once you get everything and have it set up. ;)

sera310

Post by sera310 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:41 am

Wilhelm & James make good points about butting a squat stand or light rack against a wall; due to space limitations, I have my rack away from the walls in my garage. If you can put it against a wall or brace it against a wall, you could eliminate that issue.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:25 pm

I have the fitness reality rack and it’s wedged against the joists in my unfinished basement. Kind of a pain to move with the ceiling clearance, but it’s pretty solid when I use it. I do pull-ups on it, and my head goes between the joists.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:02 pm

Update

Employing the "Buy once, cry once" principle, I was going to go for the Rogue S-1, but, when Rogue wanted to tack-on some $80 in shipping, atop their already premium price, I thought "The hell you say!" and went with the Titan X3. The X3 has 3x3 posts, rather than the T3's 2x3 posts.

The thing is a beast and will be more than adequate for my modest needs. Been using it for several months & I'm thoroughly pleased with my choice.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:17 pm

Michiganian wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:02 pm Update

Employing the "Buy once, cry once" principle, I was going to go for the Rogue S-1, but, when Rogue wanted to tack-on some $80 in shipping, atop their already premium price, I thought "The hell you say!" and went with the Titan X3. The X3 has 3x3 posts, rather than the T3's 2x3 posts.

The thing is a beast and will be more than adequate for my modest needs. Been using it for several months & I'm thoroughly pleased with my choice.
The rack is cute and all...

But that cable machine...
*smacks lips*
...is nice.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:43 pm

Renascent wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:17 pm
Michiganian wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:02 pm Update

The rack is cute and all...

But that cable machine...
*smacks lips*
...is nice.
Everybody is ogling the rack and Renascent is checking out the booty in the background. LOL.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:29 am

Hardartery wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:43 pm Everybody is ogling the rack and Renascent is checking out the booty in the background. LOL.
For Renascent's benefit, then... Image

That was right after I'd acquired it, and before either the the wall storage or squat rack.

Between the two photos one can see how what was once The Bar is slowly becoming more and more The Gym :)

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:46 pm

Gah. If only I had the space...

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:45 am

Renascent wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:46 pm Gah. If only I had the space...
Ever the home-gym-builder's lament.

I just added a Rogue Echo Bike to the gym and now I'm definitely topped-out for equipment. I'm already spending an inordinate amount of time during a workout moving stuff around.

Not complaining, though. I feel blessed to have what I have :)