Strapping deadlifts to mitigate fatigue?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

CaptainAwesome

Strapping deadlifts to mitigate fatigue?

Post by CaptainAwesome » Sat May 20, 2023 8:39 am

So, I've been reading in some spots that people claim a lot of the lasting fatigue they get from deadlifting is reduced if they use straps for it. Has anyone experienced this personally?

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Strapping deadlifts to mitigate fatigue?

Post by Wilhelm » Sat May 20, 2023 9:39 am

Could help with perceived fatigue, or training readiness for your next DL session, since if your hands are beat up, it's less fun to train.
If you pull hook grip for competition or for your heavy singles, there is no good reason not to use straps imo.
Hook for reps is pretty pointless.

CaptainAwesome

Post by CaptainAwesome » Sat May 20, 2023 9:57 am

I'm more talking about what is commonly called "CNS Fatigue" (whether or not it is actually CNS fatigue I'm not looking to debate, this is just what it's commonly called). Where the lift can cause weird lasting mood effects, and other overtraining type stuff for a while afterward. My hands themselves, though they feel it in the moment when hook gripping heavy deadlifts, don't really feel beat up or anything.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat May 20, 2023 11:00 am

I doubt it matters much. People claiming it does something regarding CNS fatigue are likely experiencing placebo effects.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat May 20, 2023 11:24 am

CaptainAwesome wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:57 am I'm more talking about what is commonly called "CNS Fatigue" (whether or not it is actually CNS fatigue I'm not looking to debate, this is just what it's commonly called). Where the lift can cause weird lasting mood effects, and other overtraining type stuff for a while afterward. My hands themselves, though they feel it in the moment when hook gripping heavy deadlifts, don't really feel beat up or anything.
"My CNS is fried"
Drive me just a little crazy.

All the kids are saying it. :D

https://mennohenselmans.com/cns-fatigue/

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat May 20, 2023 11:37 am

CaptainAwesome wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:39 am So, I've been reading in some spots that people claim a lot of the lasting fatigue they get from deadlifting is reduced if they use straps for it. Has anyone experienced this personally?
No. The opposite actually. I can do a lot more damage when using straps because the limiting factor is always the grip giving up the ghost by the end of the session. With straps, I can tuck in and go til I puke.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat May 20, 2023 12:08 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:24 am
CaptainAwesome wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:57 am I'm more talking about what is commonly called "CNS Fatigue" (whether or not it is actually CNS fatigue I'm not looking to debate, this is just what it's commonly called). Where the lift can cause weird lasting mood effects, and other overtraining type stuff for a while afterward. My hands themselves, though they feel it in the moment when hook gripping heavy deadlifts, don't really feel beat up or anything.
"My CNS is fried"

Yeah, interesting how the CNS stuff is coming back around after 7-10 years of not having to hear about it.

CaptainAwesome

Post by CaptainAwesome » Sat May 20, 2023 12:12 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:24 am "My CNS is fried"

I'm aware of the debate, and have even read that link already. I'm not saying it is actually fatigue of the CNS, I am saying it is something that is happening, and the only name I've found attached to it really is "CNS Fatigue".
Hardartery wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:37 am No. The opposite actually. I can do a lot more damage when using straps because the limiting factor is always the grip giving up the ghost by the end of the session. With straps, I can tuck in and go til I puke.
This was a useful response, thank you.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat May 20, 2023 12:15 pm

CaptainAwesome wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:12 pm I'm aware of the debate, and have even read that link already. I'm not saying it is actually fatigue of the CNS, I am saying it is something that is happening, and the only name I've found attached to it really is "CNS Fatigue".
It has seemed to me over the past year or so that the pendulum has swung way too far from “CNS fatigue is a definite thing” to “it is not a thing by any name and it’s all in your head,” which is bullshit.

CaptainAwesome

Post by CaptainAwesome » Sat May 20, 2023 12:29 pm

DCR wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:15 pm It has seemed to me over the past year or so that the pendulum has swung way too far from “CNS fatigue is a definite thing” to “it is not a thing by any name and it’s all in your head,” which is bullshit.
I can't say for sure what the mechanism is. But something is wrong. I go into a workout feeling fine, and in the process I become irritable and depressed, despite the only thing getting worked harder than an RPE of 7 being isolation calf work or something. No reps missed, no rational reason for me to feel shitty or tired. Thought maybe deadlifts were the culprit, this is the first time I've really been training them consistently for multiple sets across.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat May 20, 2023 12:38 pm

CaptainAwesome wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:12 pm

I'm aware of the debate, and have even read that link already. I'm not saying it is actually fatigue of the CNS, I am saying it is something that is happening, and the only name I've found attached to it really is "CNS Fatigue".
I read your post.

Thus my reference to "all the kids"

Somehow i knew it wouldn't be enough though.

*This was not an attack *
^^^^^^^ Flashing lights, etc...

*Sigh, the internet*

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat May 20, 2023 12:45 pm

mgil wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:08 pm Yeah, interesting how the CNS stuff is coming back around after 7-10 years of not having to hear about it.
I'm active enough other places with new lifters that i am getting my fill of it recently.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sat May 20, 2023 12:45 pm

Although CNS fatigue when performing heavy deadlifts might not be a thing (as in your brain and your spinal chord being fatigued, which apparently only happens with endurance exercise, not strength training), I firmly believe that "central fatigue" is absolutely a thing, and to parrot Greg Nuckols, is probably mostly due to movements that load the spine and make heavy use of the erector muscles, because protecting your spine has a very high priority to ensure your survival, so it makes sense that your body reacts to this stimulus pretty drastically. I think anyone who's done a heavy deadlift session with more volume than they are used to will know the feeling of "central fatigue".

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Sat May 20, 2023 1:02 pm

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:45 pm Although CNS fatigue when performing heavy deadlifts might not be a thing (as in your brain and your spinal chord being fatigued, which apparently only happens with endurance exercise, not strength training), I firmly believe that "central fatigue" is absolutely a thing, and to parrot Greg Nuckols, is probably mostly due to movements that load the spine and make heavy use of the erector muscles, because protecting your spine has a very high priority to ensure your survival, so it makes sense that your body reacts to this stimulus pretty drastically. I think anyone who's done a heavy deadlift session with more volume than they are used to will know the feeling of "central fatigue".
This is why I like the way Israetel categorizes axial loading fatigue as its own thing - it definitely seems to be both somewhat separate from other types of fatigue, and it’s really uniquely disruptive to the rest of your training.

As far as straps, I think they’ll only reduce or help mitigate local fatigue in your grip. Otherwise, they’ll just help mask systemic fatigue manifesting as grip weakness and let you dig a deeper hole.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sat May 20, 2023 1:07 pm

I like straps very much though, I pull all my deadlifts with them, because I'm not a powerlifter. I just think that deadlifts are very unique in terms of how they impact recovery, so that you have to program with that in mind.

But with good work capacity and intelligent programming I think they're an awesome, high fatigue high stimulus exercise Like I can do a few sets of deadlifts and my whole back is destroyed (in a good way).

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Sat May 20, 2023 1:24 pm

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:07 pm I like straps very much though, I pull all my deadlifts with them, because I'm not a powerlifter. I just think that deadlifts are very unique in terms of how they impact recovery, so that you have to program with that in mind.

But with good work capacity and intelligent programming I think they're an awesome, high fatigue high stimulus exercise Like I can do a few sets of deadlifts and my whole back is destroyed (in a good way).
Agree, I’ve transitioned completely to straps for all working sets after years of mixed grip. I don’t see a compelling reason not to do this as a non-competitive lifter, and my DOH grip strength has actually improved since then too.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat May 20, 2023 1:33 pm

Just use a trap bar with neutral grip. Win win

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Sat May 20, 2023 1:35 pm

mgil wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:33 pm Just use a trap bar with neutral grip. Win win
but it tips forward and back in my hands, which hurts my feelings

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat May 20, 2023 2:07 pm

janoycresva wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:35 pm
mgil wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:33 pm Just use a trap bar with neutral grip. Win win
but it tips forward and back in my hands, which hurts my feelings
lol

“muh sagittarius plains”

hector

Post by hector » Sat May 20, 2023 3:43 pm

If your grip is the weak link and you go hard on deads then I can absolutely imagine feeling fried after, since your grip is central to so many other exercises. Try to do lat pull-down, chin ups, or t bar rows after Deads when your grip is already fried? It will be rough, exhausting for your hand and forearms.

But in terms of CNS exhaustion? Yeah, I think the Isratel stuff makes a lot of sense.