2024 POTUS ELECTON

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mbasic

2024 POTUS ELECTON

Post by mbasic » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:22 pm

Damn, that South Park "Douche and Turd" episode was what? ..... 2004?

How do the dems come to terms with putting Biden up for re-election/in the primaries? How ever that works?

Has the incumbent president even been NOT just automatically anointed as that party's choice in history before?

Dude just said he cured cancer.

Trump is still being thrown around as a possibility?

Densantis is a nut.

R.F.fucking K. ? come on? really?

who ya got?

Bearnie's year finally?

mouse

Re: 2024 POTUS ELECTON

Post by mouse » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:16 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:22 pm How ever that works?
Ever see Weekend at Bernie's?

Speaking of...
mbasic wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:22 pmBearnie's year finally?
LOLz nah...

I'm still in stitches how that con-artist got a shit ton of kids in college debt to give him their money and then straight up peaced out and told them to vote for Hillary... and they did!

Stan was right...

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:46 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:22 pm Damn, that South Park "Douche and Turd" episode was what? ..... 2004?

How do the dems come to terms with putting Biden up for re-election/in the primaries? How ever that works?

Has the incumbent president even been NOT just automatically anointed as that party's choice in history before?
It is rare. Most recently, and the only example that comes to mind: LBJ, who didn't lose per se but did not seek reelection under threat of being primary'd out. By RFK Jr.'s dad actually.

Because in 'Murica, you get 3 political families to choose from. Other shithole countries only get one.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:39 am

Most Likely: Trump wins the Republican ticket through a plurality and loses the general election*.

Wild Card: Conservative States (as defined by having a Republican controlled legislature) throw the whole country into chaos once they realize Trump won't win. See 2020 election. See Alabama defying SCOTUS.

*Trump has had two nationwide elections and failed to win the majority both times. Fuzzy electoral math won it for Trump the first time. I don't believe that will happen again.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:46 am

RFK Jr talking a whole bunch of smack about US involvement in the Ukraine war and about the govt covid response, as a Democratic presidential candidate (and a Kennedy (a real Kennedy, not one of those fake ones)), is tremendous.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:16 pm

BostonRugger wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:46 amRFK Jr talking a whole bunch of smack about US involvement in the Ukraine war and about the govt covid response, as a Democratic presidential candidate (and a Kennedy (a real Kennedy, not one of those fake ones)), is tremendous.
Define tremendous.

My perception is this guy is kind of a joke whose 'candidacy' started and ended with "I'm a Kennedy." Realizing no one gives a shit and that his cadidacy is dead on arrival, RFK is trying to cater to the Right's base to restart it?

*He's not actually trying to become President. RFK is doing this for $$$.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:51 pm

aurelius wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:16 pm
BostonRugger wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:46 amRFK Jr talking a whole bunch of smack about US involvement in the Ukraine war and about the govt covid response, as a Democratic presidential candidate (and a Kennedy (a real Kennedy, not one of those fake ones)), is tremendous.
Define tremendous.

My perception is this guy is kind of a joke whose 'candidacy' started and ended with "I'm a Kennedy." Realizing no one gives a shit and that his candidacy is dead on arrival, RFK is trying to cater to the Right's base to restart it?

you sure on this? ^

who else is coming out of the dem's camp?

I think RFK beats out Biden the Senile.

As you said, Trump lost the popular vote twice already, and gets too hot to handle with each subsequent election.

Dare I say .... I think its a slam dunk for RFK if he plays it right.

-------------------------

Ukraine and the Vaccine/COVID lockdown aftermath ? .... both those things are aging like fine milk.

hector

Post by hector » Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:10 pm

BostonRugger wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:46 am RFK Jr talking a whole bunch of smack about US involvement in the Ukraine war and about the govt covid response, as a Democratic presidential candidate (and a Kennedy (a real Kennedy, not one of those fake ones)), is tremendous.
By default I’m going to like anyone who has spoken up and acted out for environmental causes in a sane way.

But anti-war, or even questioning-war, has not been the position of any president this century.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:27 pm

I dunno… Trump was pretty much anti-war in action and policy. One of his few redeeming qualities.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:30 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:51 pmyou sure on this? ^
Biden will run again. The Democratic party controls who the nominee will be. I don't see the power brokers of the Democratic party supporting another candidate. Especially if Trump is the Republican nominee. And who beats Trump in the Republican primaries?

RFK's 'campaign' :lol: is floundering. Makes Desantis look like a front runner. Think about it: the left won't vote for him (he is also an anti-vaxxer). And the Right won't vote for him as he is a Democrat.

He is doing it for the public attention. Politico has an article on it. RFK is taking the Margarie Green/Lisa Boebert model of performative politics to raise his profile. Just saying a bunch of crazy shit to get media coverage with plans to profit from his heightened fame. It's a scam.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... n-00105442

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:18 pm

But I just can't see Biden again....for more 4 years.

No way he sticks this out mentally. He slipping fast.

The Dems don't have another viable option?

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:31 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:18 pm But I just can't see Biden again....for more 4 years.

Ronny was senile his last 4 years. Many think his wife made a bunch of decisions… McConell just had a press conference that consisted of him standing at the podium looking lost for about 30 seconds before an aide led him away. Trump ain’t your either. And he never made much sense but some of his recent live responses are not reassuring. Don’t know what to tell you. There is precedent in US politics. If Biden wants to run no one will stop him.

hector

Post by hector » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:47 pm

mgil wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:27 pm I dunno… Trump was pretty much anti-war in action and policy. One of his few redeeming qualities.
Trump did not start new wars. And he negotiated a withdrawal. So compared to every other president this century, you’re right.

I should have written more precisely. Compared to actual anti-war candidates (like Cornel West, maybe RFK), I would not say Trump is anti-war.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:32 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:16 pm
Define tremendous.

My perception is this guy is kind of a joke whose 'candidacy' started and ended with "I'm a Kennedy." Realizing no one gives a shit and that his cadidacy is dead on arrival, RFK is trying to cater to the Right's base to restart it?

He wouldn't become president even if he were trying. The DNC chooses. Expanding that side of the conversation from a contest about who wants to send Ukraine the most weapons and funding into a debate of for vs against is a good thing. Tremendous even.

ETA: Since this thread involves discussion of old men in possible elder abuse situations, and who probably deserve it in some way, you guys see McConnell?

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:45 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:18 pm But I just can't see Biden again....for more 4 years.

He doesn't have to make it 4 years. He just has to stay reasonably ambulatory, intelligible, and alive, until 1/6/25. From the standpoint of the DNC, after that who cares. Kamala is unpopular? So was Hillary. As long as there is a D in the White House, mission accomplished as far as the party is concerned. I believe the calculus for democrat party leadership is simply who is most likely to beat Trump. Biden is a known quantity.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:46 am

BostonRugger wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:32 amHe wouldn't become president even if he were trying. The DNC chooses. Expanding that side of the conversation from a contest about who wants to send Ukraine the most weapons and funding into a debate of for vs against is a good thing. Tremendous even.
We don't agree on the US meeting its obligations to UKR per the Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances. But that has already been discussed in the UKR thread.
BostonRugger wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:32 amETA: Since this thread involves discussion of old men in possible elder abuse situations, and who probably deserve it in some way, you guys see McConnell?
I watched it to get a good laugh. It wasn't funny. It was just sad. I felt bad for McConnell. I don't like McConnell but he is an elder statesman that disserves to retire with dignity. Bad. Just bad. I left out Feinstein from my previous post. She has clearly been a walking vegetable for a few years.

The staffs of these elderly politicians wield an extraordinary amount of influence as the elected official's mental capacity declines. And largely these individuals keep at it at the behest of their staffs... :lol: at elder abuse. Which probably isn't far from the truth.

The other problem is neither party developed leadership within its ranks. They have to hold on to these aging power players because there would be a power vacuum if they left. We saw a near Republican civil war when choosing their Speaker of the House. McConnell has stabilized the Senate for Republicans for 2 decades or more. You don't get the Republican dominance of the Federal courts and legislation without McConnell. So who steps up? Ted Cruz? :lol: Also, see Democrats and Pelosi.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:13 am

aurelius wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:46 am
BostonRugger wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:32 amHe wouldn't become president even if he were trying. The DNC chooses. Expanding that side of the conversation from a contest about who wants to send Ukraine the most weapons and funding into a debate of for vs against is a good thing. Tremendous even.
We don't agree on the US meeting its obligations to UKR per the Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances. But that has already been discussed in the UKR thread.
BostonRugger wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:32 amETA: Since this thread involves discussion of old men in possible elder abuse situations, and who probably deserve it in some way, you guys see McConnell?
I don't like McConnell but he is an elder statesman that disserves to retire with dignity.
That was my first thought. Then I had a thought to the contrary. Still mulling.

The staffs of these elderly politicians wield an extraordinary amount of influence as the elected official's mental capacity declines. And largely these individuals keep at it at the behest of their staffs... :lol: at elder abuse. Which probably isn't far from the truth.

ETA: Giving our politicians entirely too much credit with this reference.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:08 am

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66314075
The US presidential campaign of Ron DeSantis has fired an aide who shared online a clip featuring a symbol that was adopted by the Nazis.

Nate Hochman, a speechwriter, posted the 68-second video from a pro-DeSantis account on social media over the weekend before quickly deleting it.

The clip shows Mr DeSantis superimposed on a sonnenrad, or sun-wheel.
Silly DeSantis staffer probably thought this would get him billions in weapons and funding.

quikky

Post by quikky » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:39 am

BostonRugger wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:08 am https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66314075
The US presidential campaign of Ron DeSantis has fired an aide who shared online a clip featuring a symbol that was adopted by the Nazis.

Nate Hochman, a speechwriter, posted the 68-second video from a pro-DeSantis account on social media over the weekend before quickly deleting it.

Silly DeSantis staffer probably thought this would get him billions in weapons and funding.
Good one, Comrade Solovyov.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:54 am

quikky wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:39 am
BostonRugger wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:08 am https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66314075

Good one, Comrade Solovyov.
if negative opinion on UKR funding:
accuse("Russian Propagandist")