Hypertrophy clusters

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Tommy1507

Hypertrophy clusters

Post by Tommy1507 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:17 am

Just came around this on instagram. Had to laugh several times when scrolling through the feed.

1/2 reps, 2x sets

mbasic

Re: Hypertrophy clusters

Post by mbasic » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:06 am

Tommy1507 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:17 am Just came around this on instagram. Had to laugh several times when scrolling through the feed.

1/2 reps, 2x sets

little background on that guy:

The crafter of the 'hypo clusters' thing is Jake Turra.

I remember him from the forums back in egypt, he tried to promote that black magic stuff where you rub/massage your head, back ribs, etc a certain way and it increases glute activation (and other muscles). I didn't know what it was called back then, but I believe he was advocating RPR ...Reflexive Performance Reset..... IMO, is a crock of shit OR better said, commercialized placebo effect. If you can imagine a mix of in accupucture (w/o the needles), massage, and chakras and scientology's, or something. The whole RPR community actually has certification courses, etc.... Level1, Level2, etc There's a lot of coaches and trainers that buy into it. They have whole football teams doing before practice, etc.

Anyways, when he started to espouse that RPR stuff over at SS, he was quickly shouted down by Austin and others .... as is the custom.

https://startingstrength.com/resources/ ... ost1478225

Now Jake is some kind self proclaimed tendon expert or something. The hypertrophy clusters thing is his latest thing (scam?).

@mgil ...post 3 in that thread ! lolz

Tommy1507

Post by Tommy1507 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:16 am

Ah interesting. Have to read through that SS-thread later. But his first claim, that the glutes are 10 times stronger after his massage is a good starting point.

I don't know how i came across this on insta. He sells a programm for 47$. I just found it interesting bc i often time read here instead of doing 4x8 just split the the reps in half and double the sets. Which seems to be the main theme of the program

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:02 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:06 am Anyways, when he started to espouse that RPR stuff over at SS, he was quickly shouted down by Austin and others .... as is the custom.

Now Jake is some kind self proclaimed tendon expert or something. The hypertrophy clusters thing is his latest thing (scam?).

I could’ve skimmed that thread, seen “JL Holdsworth,” and stopped right there. The man who wrote this: https://www.elitefts.com/education/the- ... ing-it-up/

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:33 am

DCR wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:02 am
mbasic wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:06 am Anyways, when he started to espouse that RPR stuff over at SS, he was quickly shouted down by Austin and others .... as is the custom.

I could’ve skimmed that thread, seen “JL Holdsworth,” and stopped right there. The man who wrote this: https://www.elitefts.com/education/the- ... ing-it-up/
What point is he trying to make ? I don't get it.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:56 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:33 am
DCR wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:02 am

You didn’t find it to be “one of the biggest revelations in the sports performance industry,” or a “mind-blowing discovery”?

Seriously who fucking knows what he’s on about.

asdf

Post by asdf » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:20 am

DCR wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:02 am I could’ve skimmed that thread, seen “JL Holdsworth,” and stopped right there. The man who wrote this: https://www.elitefts.com/education/the- ... ing-it-up/
My interpretation based on a quick skim:

That depth of squat is not best measured by hip position relative to knee, but rather by amount of knee flexion. If one has a near vertical shin at the bottom of the squat, then yes, they'll need to get hips parallel or below knee to achieve approximately 90 degrees of knee flexion. But if one has a more knees-forward position, then the same amount of knee flexion can be obtained without getting the hips near parallel with knee (at least for some lifters).

DCR

Post by DCR » Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:48 am

asdf wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:20 am
DCR wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:02 am I could’ve skimmed that thread, seen “JL Holdsworth,” and stopped right there. The man who wrote this: https://www.elitefts.com/education/the- ... ing-it-up/
My interpretation based on a quick skim:

That depth of squat is not best measured by hip position relative to knee, but rather by amount of knee flexion. If one has a near vertical shin at the bottom of the squat, then yes, they'll need to get hips parallel or below knee to achieve approximately 90 degrees of knee flexion. But if one has a more knees-forward position, then the same amount of knee flexion can be obtained without getting the hips near parallel with knee (at least for some lifters).
Right, now imagine how far up your own ass you’d have to be to think that this was an amazing discovery that would CHANGE THE WORLD FOREVER. I pictured him drawing stick figures, slapping himself in the forehead when this revelation dropped, and racing outside to tell random people in the street.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:19 pm

@asdf OK, that makes sense, thanks for the concise explanation.

@DCR He's changing the world with MS Paint, one stick figure at a time.

Now the thing is, if his goal is training athletes (which in this context means non powerlifters I guess), why is depth so important ? I mean it's not like theres a magic angle outside of which the squat will have no effect on improving sports performance. Also, if we are willing to accept that there is a magic squat angle, what's the likelihood that this magic angle is the same for all sports ? Probably none.

This is why whenever I hear coaches talking about "athletic performance" (without explaining which sport they are interested in) I tend to be suspicious.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:36 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:19 pm @asdf OK, that makes sense, thanks for the concise explanation.

Now the thing is, if his goal is training athletes (which in this context means non powerlifters I guess), why is depth so important ? I mean it's not like theres a magic angle outside of which the squat will have no effect on improving sports performance. Also, if we are willing to accept that there is a magic squat angle, what's the likelihood that this magic angle is the same for all sports ? Probably none.

This is why whenever I hear coaches talking about "athletic performance" (without explaining which sport they are interested in) I tend to be suspicious.
I agree. I also see why the full ROM would have beneficial carryover in ways that he is not addressing. Like, maybe it doesn't directly make me explosive to go ATG, but it will provide me strength and support from muscles that aren't tapped in 1/4 squats. So maybe it improves my sprint time but not my vertical. I know that the more fully you stretch the muscle in eccentric the greater the training effect. Training with only one aspect in mind might improve that one thing, but at what expense to other things?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:57 am

Hardartery wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:36 am
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:19 pm @asdf OK, that makes sense, thanks for the concise explanation.

I agree. I also see why the full ROM would have beneficial carryover in ways that he is not addressing. Like, maybe it doesn't directly make me explosive to go ATG, but it will provide me strength and support from muscles that aren't tapped in 1/4 squats. So maybe it improves my sprint time but not my vertical. I know that the more fully you stretch the muscle in eccentric the greater the training effect. Training with only one aspect in mind might improve that one thing, but at what expense to other things?
This is not 100% universal, but what I see "in general" in that whole S&C/Exercise Science realm ....

.... the trend is to use more full ROM exercises in the off season (e.g. full depth squats), and then to shift to more partial ROM toward or in the competitive season (e.g. box squats or 1/4 squats).

The benefits of full ROM are recognized from a hypertrophy POV .... joint health, mobility improvements, etc.

Partial ROM is geared toward specificity of sport movement, and reducing fatigue. And the latter here might be what causes the former....not so much the joint angle specificity business.

And I would agree with most of this.