2023 Shaw Classic

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

Hardartery

2023 Shaw Classic

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:14 pm

It's streaming now. I am too cheap to pay for it, but there are multiple live watch parties on Youtube. Sounds like it's going well for Hooper, T Stoltman is having his usual choke session that seems to happen everywhere except WSM - he has zeroed the Log Lift after a fail on the heavy log and not enough left in the tank to get the light one. Hooper and Trey Mitchell have hit the heavy so far, I don't know final rep counts.

Hardartery

Re: 2023 Shaw Classic

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:32 pm

Trey Mitchell 1st
Bobby Thompson 2nd
Mitchell Hooper 3rd
Brian Shaw 4th
Novikov in 9th, 5 zeroes on Log, split times in the good lifts dictated placings.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:10 pm

https://strongmanarchives.com/viewContest.php?id=1370

After the Medly, Hooper is in first, Maxime is in second, Shaw is third, Singleton is up to 4th. L Stoltman is not having a good contest. At all. Two events down.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:46 pm

After 4 events, Hooper 1st, Shaw 2nd by 1/2 a point, Trey Mitchell 3rd. Singleton 4th T Stoltman up to 5th after Stones. Novikov uncharacteristically down the table in 10th atm. Not a great Stones run by the looks of things.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:28 pm

I also am very cheap so will wait for it to come onto YT for free.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:41 pm

Bishop has withrdawn, don't know why - I wasn't actually paying attention and just wandered in to turn on the listen party. They are doing Max DL right now. It will probably take a while.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:51 pm

T Stoltman won the Max DL with 499kg, 5 way tie for second at 476kg. Apparently Alexei missed, and then came out and hit the 499kg after the event was over. So, it doesn't count for points but he did it. I don't get it, but whatever. He moved up 3 places to 7th and is within a few points of the next 3 guys. The order is now Hooper 1st, Shaw 2nd, Mitchell 3rd, T Stoltman 4th. Maxime tanked the event, Singleton went out light and made what would be considered a tactical error. He should have passed the weight he failed and waited for the next higher one, the next weight was 4 tires which changes the mechanics and makes it actually a little easier than the one he tried.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:20 pm

Shaw won the press machine thingie, Evans second, 4 way tie for third which puts Shaw in first, Hooper in second, Mitchell third. Didn't see it live, looked like a stupid event to me designed to favour Shaw. It's his contest, so fine, but it still looks like a stupid event. I am currently losing interest in this, probably checking out and just looking at the results at the end. Glad I didn't pay to see it, really seems like a waste of a contest to be honest.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:48 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:20 pm Shaw won the press machine thingie, Evans second, 4 way tie for third which puts Shaw in first, Hooper in second, Mitchell third. Didn't see it live, looked like a stupid event to me designed to favour Shaw. It's his contest, so fine, but it still looks like a stupid event. I am currently losing interest in this, probably checking out and just looking at the results at the end. Glad I didn't pay to see it, really seems like a waste of a contest to be honest.
Like that leg press last year? I thought that was kind of silly.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:20 pm

MarkKO wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:48 pm
Hardartery wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:20 pm Shaw won the press machine thingie, Evans second, 4 way tie for third which puts Shaw in first, Hooper in second, Mitchell third. Didn't see it live, looked like a stupid event to me designed to favour Shaw. It's his contest, so fine, but it still looks like a stupid event. I am currently losing interest in this, probably checking out and just looking at the results at the end. Glad I didn't pay to see it, really seems like a waste of a contest to be honest.
They had the leg press again, and added the "Chest Press", similar contraption, just as silly.
I am thoroughly unimpressed with the whole thing, I could barely muster the interest to update the results page tonight, and frankly lost even more interest after did. The only event worth a damn would be the Hummer Tire DL, and that is not unique to this contest.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:24 am

Hardartery wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:20 pm
MarkKO wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:48 pm
They had the leg press again, and added the "Chest Press", similar contraption, just as silly.
I am thoroughly unimpressed with the whole thing, I could barely muster the interest to update the results page tonight, and frankly lost even more interest after did. The only event worth a damn would be the Hummer Tire DL, and that is not unique to this contest.
Catering to a market I guess 🤷‍♂️

I want to watch the Magnus Classic this year, I really enjoyed the last one.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:19 am

brian shaw yesterday

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:46 am

rjharris wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:19 am brian shaw yesterday

You aren't wrong. First time I have ever lost interest in a SM contest and did something else.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:42 pm

Hardartery wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:46 am You aren't wrong. First time I have ever lost interest in a SM contest and did something else.
i normally pay loose attention to big shows that i don't happen to watch, but i just couldn't be assed this year. doubling down on the stupid leg press with a chest press thing kind of broke whatever interest i had. i get they're trying to do new things but ... eh.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:01 pm

rjharris wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:42 pm
Hardartery wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:46 am You aren't wrong. First time I have ever lost interest in a SM contest and did something else.
i normally pay loose attention to big shows that i don't happen to watch, but i just couldn't be assed this year. doubling down on the stupid leg press with a chest press thing kind of broke whatever interest i had. i get they're trying to do new things but ... eh.
The Leg Press thing was tried, at WSM, a long time ago. It sucked, it didn't happen again. Insert comment on repeating history here. Dude, more of a stupid event doesn't suddenly make it great and he needs to stop listening to fanbois. There was a whole crew of sycophants at WSM in SC this year, all completely delusional about his chances of winning. He didn't have a lacklustre final because of the stone off with Rauno, it was because that's what happens. He had a great career, move on already.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:17 am

Hardartery wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:01 pm He had a great career, move on already.
I think that's probably it for him... maybe I'm wrong... he's got enough brands going now that he can probably be pretty comfy without having to compete...

The big goofy machine lifts are hilarious... because while I appreciate the effort has strongman really dried up the well so much that we have to gussy up gym bro stuff?

Shaw 2024 should have a gigantic max lat pull down or something...