The Story of The Bodybuilding Powerlifter

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

DCR

Re: Update

Post by DCR » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:20 pm

MailmanMuscle wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:43 pmSide note: I think my wife and I are going to get some mileage out of the joke that came from me telling her about how since she didn’t go with me, I ended up half naked in a room with two women I’d just met, and one of them had her 👆🏾 in my 🍑
Fantastic. I would have said exactly that to my girlfriend and would be trotting it out for weeks.
MailmanMuscle wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:43 pmSmith Machine High Incline Press - the Žydrūnas Savickas hypertrophy hack (seriously, it is)
Do tell?

MailmanMuscle

Re: The Story of The Bodybuilding Powerlifter

Post by MailmanMuscle » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:34 pm

MailmanMuscle wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:43 pmSide note: I think my wife and I are going to get some mileage out of the joke that came from me telling her about how since she didn’t go with me, I ended up half naked in a room with two women I’d just met, and one of them had her 👆🏾 in my 🍑
MarkKO wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:51 pmAny rear related complaints are ripe for humour.
Absolutely. The best jokes often write themselves.
DCR wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:20 pm Fantastic. I would have said exactly that to my girlfriend and would be trotting it out for weeks.
My man.
DCR wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:20 pm
MailmanMuscle wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:43 pmSmith Machine High Incline Press - the Žydrūnas Savickas hypertrophy hack (seriously, it is)
Do tell?
Sometime during my first Powerlifting At Planet Fitness Experiment, I had read a defense of the smith machine (can’t remember the source) that included the revelation that Big Z uses it for high incline presses as part of his shoulder hypertrophy work. I checked around to confirm it and found out that it’s legit. I figured if it’s good enough for him, then 1) the smith machine could indeed be useful, and 2) it’s an exercise worth trying. They’ve been part of my playbook ever since.

Here’s a video from his channel. He doesn’t go in depth on the why about anything, but is sharing his shoulder training program. At 0:55 he hits the smith machine.

Here’s a random short of him repping some out.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:37 pm

MailmanMuscle wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:43 pm ... thumbs wrapped around the bar, which is something I never do for any pulls except competition deadlifts, and maybe snatch grip deadlift variations.
Took up thumbless pull-ups years ago, and don't even remember why. Been playing around with using my thumbs more lately, as unnatural as it feels now.

I'm curious as to your reason(s) for rowing (and other pulling movements) sans thumbs.

Also, hope the butt stuff isn't something too serious beyond too much Tony Chachere's.

MailmanMuscle

Post by MailmanMuscle » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:31 pm

Renascent wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:37 pm
MailmanMuscle wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:43 pm ... thumbs wrapped around the bar, which is something I never do for any pulls except competition deadlifts, and maybe snatch grip deadlift variations.
Took up thumbless pull-ups years ago, and don't even remember why. Been playing around with using my thumbs more lately, as unnatural as it feels now.

I'm curious as to your reason(s) for rowing (and other pulling movements) sans thumbs.

Also, hope the butt stuff isn't something too serious beyond too much Tony Chachere's.
I had to look up Tony Chachere’s, and after finding out what it is, I’m tempted to order some or look for it in Walmart. Then again, if it comes to mind as a possible culprit for whatever I’m dealing with, then maybe I should pass. 😁

Once I started using Versa Gripps several years ago, grip became a non-factor in any lift that I didn’t want it to factor into. They are an exceptional grip aid IMO. As a powerlifter, the only lift for which I cared about grip strength was the deadlift. Any other pull or row was being done for the purpose of building muscle, and I found that I could concentrate on feeling the muscles working more if I wasn’t squeezing the bar/handle, even with the Versa Gripps on. FWIW to date, I have never missed a deadlift in competition due to a lack of grip strength. I’ve missed some due to overall strength, but that’s another story.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:23 am

I think there's a lot to be said for straps and grip aids for precisely the reasons you set out. I now just need to listen to that wisdom, because I rarely use straps.

My grip isn't great. It isn't terrible, but it isn't great and part of me is convinced that I need to make my grip work every chance I get.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:01 am

MailmanMuscle wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:31 pm
Renascent wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:37 pm Also, hope the butt stuff isn't something too serious beyond too much Tony Chachere's.
I had to look up Tony Chachere’s, and after finding out what it is, I’m tempted to order some or look for it in Walmart. Then again, if it comes to mind as a possible culprit for whatever I’m dealing with, then maybe I should pass. 😁
One spice to rule them all.
one spice defined them,
One spice to use for all,
that there’s none more fine than.

I use it on nearly everything I eat.

MailmanMuscle

Back To Normal? 🤞🏾

Post by MailmanMuscle » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:16 pm

platypus wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:01 am
MailmanMuscle wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:31 pm I had to look up Tony Chachere’s, and after finding out what it is, I’m tempted to order some or look for it in Walmart. Then again, if it comes to mind as a possible culprit for whatever I’m dealing with, then maybe I should pass. 😁
One spice to rule them all.
one spice defined them,
One spice to use for all,
that there’s none more fine than.

I use it on nearly everything I eat.
That settles it. I’ll get some ASAP.
MarkKO wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:23 am I think there's a lot to be said for straps and grip aids for precisely the reasons you set out. I now just need to listen to that wisdom, because I rarely use straps.

My grip isn't great. It isn't terrible, but it isn't great and part of me is convinced that I need to make my grip work every chance I get.
I saw a new plate loaded grip/forearm machine in the gym tonight. I’ve never seen anything like it, but it seems like such a simple an effective idea for a machine. It seems that when I take photos with my phone, they’re too large to attach them here, but if I can find a way I’ll post it.

I saw my primary care provider today. She told me to take a laxative, start taking a probiotic, and stop taking NSAIDs until we figure out what caused the bleeding. Also, even if I don’t go to the bathroom, if I’m passing gas (I hadn’t been) then that’s good. If my belly becomes distended and I can’t pass gas, then I need to go to the hospital because that’s a sign I have a bowel obstruction.

Coincidentally, after the appointment I went to the bathroom (win #1) and didn’t see any blood (win #2). I’m not declaring victory just yet, because my lab results haven’t come back yet. But I feel a bit of relief - no pun intended - for the first time all week.

Friday 2/16/24: 3,400 steps, 1.2 miles, 7 floors climbed

Lower #1, Gold’s Gym

Standing Calf Raise
100 lbs/12 reps (1:00)
drop set: 140/10 (1:00) + 100/10 (0:42)

Hyperextension - this one is way sturdier and more stable than the one at Planet Fitness
bodyweight/10 reps
+25/12 (1:09)
drop set: +25/10 (0:54) + BW/10 (0:43)

Vertical Leg Press - I had not done these in a month (since 1/15).
sled/11 reps
90+ lbs/10 reps
180+/10 (0:47)
180+/10 (0:52)

Wide Platform Leg Press - I used this one for the first time 2 weeks ago.
270+ lbs/6 reps
450+/6 - this was my top weight last time; felt like I could do more tonight
rest-pause set: 540+/10 (0:49) + 3 (0:20)

Prone Leg Curl
90 lbs/10 reps
rest-pause set: 140/14 (0:37) + 8 (0:22) - those final 2 reps were really partials

Seated Lateral Raise Machine - Clearly this isn’t lower body. My wife was on pec deck, and I didn’t hit side delts on Wednesday.
John Meadows warmup: 6 reps each at 30, 50, 70, and 90 lbs, no rest
drop set: 130/5 + 110/5 + 90/5 + 70/10 + 50/10

The 130 and 110 rounds were partials, by design. Heavy side lateral partials on the lateral raise is another nugget I picked up from the dearly departed Mr. Meadows. Fortunately, his family is still running his YouTube channel, Mountaindog1.

“Super Abs” Machine
145 lbs/20 left + 10 right + 10 right + 5 middle + 10 middle + 5 middle

I should have taken a full rest after left side reps, then right side reps. I didn’t gain anything by trying to do them nonstop.

Posing clinic tomorrow! I hope to get some professional feedback from the instructor I worked with last time. Last time, my wife and I were in the same session. This time, mine is at 1pm and hers is at 2pm. Hopefully this means we’ll both be able to record one another and get better video footage from this one. We couldn’t set the tripods up too well last time, so the angles weren’t the best.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:54 pm

I love a good machine.

Good news from your primary care doc. I'm guessing that's what I'd call a general practitioner?

MailmanMuscle

Post by MailmanMuscle » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:01 pm

MarkKO wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:54 pm I love a good machine.

Good news from your primary care doc. I'm guessing that's what I'd call a general practitioner?
Yes, and people here still say that sometimes. I’m pretty sure that “primary care doctor/provider” is from the health insurance industry, and decades of conditioning has everyone using it now.

The posing clinic today went well. Apparently, I’ve made better progress than I thought. The practice at home and in the Gold’s posing room must be paying off. In addition to getting better at the presentation part of this, I can see some physique changes from the first clinic on January 6. I posted some screenshots side by side on Instagram. The first slide is today’s countdown post from the event’s page. If you swipe through, in each slide the photo on the left is from today, and the photo on the right is from 1/6. The final photo is from today.

@platypus @Renascent After the clinic, I got some Tony Chachere’s after the clinic, and put it on the food I had for dinner. Where has this been all my life? 😁

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:55 pm

You're looking good. From what I know, solid place to be in 12 weeks out.

MailmanMuscle

Back To Work

Post by MailmanMuscle » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:11 pm

MarkKO wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:55 pm You're looking good. From what I know, solid place to be in 12 weeks out.
Thank you sir! I’m pretty sure that I lost a week with everything going on internally. But I think I still have enough time to get where I want to go.

Speaking of which, one thing that I thought I noticed a few weeks ago was confirmed at the clinic: I don’t have a left leg, at least from the side. From the front, they look like the same size, and the left may even have a bit more detail. But from the side, it’s like these legs aren’t attached to the same body. For what it’s worth, the entire left side of my body feels “off” anyway, and has for some time. In addition to being right side dominant, tearing a labrum in my left shoulder 13 years ago certainly didn’t help, even with my lower body. I’ve been able to tell that there’s a difference from one leg to the other when squatting for a long time. I don’t expect to make up years worth of imbalance in 12 weeks, but I have to try to do something. Last night, I added some left leg work to an upper body day. Depending on how I can recover and be ready to hit the streets plus train lower body, I might keep this up for a while.

Monday 2/19/24: 3,604 steps, 1.3 miles, 3 floors climbed

Upper #2 (+ Left Leg & Calves), Planet Fitness

Note: I didn’t record any of this session, so I don’t know how long these sets were.

Leg Press - left leg only
Sled/10
90+ lbs/12 reps
140+/10
140+/11
140+/9

All of these sets except the last one wear done with my foot low on the platform, and just about shoulder width. For the last one, I tried it with my foot high and wide.

Calf Press - on the leg press
140+/12

I was already there. Plus if I had been at Gold’s, I probably would have hit the standing calf raise that’s right outside of the locker room anyway.

Arnold Press - weights are per hand
25 lbs/12 reps
40/7
55/6
drop set: 65/10 + 55/5 + 40/6

Seated Lateral Raise - weights are per hand
20 lbs/12 reps
15/14

No warm up needed. The last 3-4 reps of each set were partials. FWIW I never let my arms hang straight down at the bottom of these once I start a set. I was going to do this as a drop set, but by this time, my wife had come from another part of the gym to do join me and do laterals herself. I ended up doing my sets around one of hers.

Cable Pulldown - wide, neutral grip handle
100 lbs/12 reps
160/8
200/9 - started using Versa Gripps here
170/11

I think I have discovered that on any vertical pull, including chin-ups, I can crank out more reps that feel clean and focused if I use a neutral or underhand grip.

Pec Deck
85 lbs/12 reps
130/9
115/12 + 4 partials
- the ROM on those partials was so short, I couldn’t put them in the rep count.

Seated Cable Row - neutral grip, just inside shoulder width.
120 lbs/10 reps
drop set: 180/11 + 140/10 - probably 9 1/2 on that second round

Cable Pressdown - short, straight bar
40 lbs/11 reps
drop set: 85/8 + 70/7 + 55/6

Preacher Curl Machine
75 lbs/21 reps

At some point during that set, I decided that instead of being a warm up, I would do enough reps to make it a work set so I could leave. It’s not like I was there for a long time. This whole thing only took an hour and five minutes, and that included hopping off of the leg press to claim a smith machine and hold it until my wife could finish something in another part of the gym and then come over to start squats on it. I was just hungry.

Tuesday 2/20/24: 15,942 steps, 7.2 miles, 4 floors climbed

This was my first day back at work after an unexpected week off. It was also the day after a federal holiday in the US (Presidents’ Day). Those are always long days in the post office. Along with some needed overtime, I’m glad to get back to my normal activity levels. It should help my fat loss get back on track. I’m not mentally prepared to start doing cardio off the clock. I haven’t done that in 18 years.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:26 pm

What little I know of bodybuilding would make me suggest looking at posing to 'hide' the discrepancy between legs. I'm guessing there are ways to do this, although doubtless they would require a fair bit of skill when it comes to posing.

Second idea would be to do a bunch of single leg work on the left leg only for the remaining weeks. Logic would dictate that if you train the left leg as hard as you can and don't train the right at all, the left will grow at a significantly faster rate. I don't know how good an idea this is, so caveat emptor and all that but if someone with more experience in bodybuilding agrees it might actually not be the worst idea.

DCR

Re: Back To Work

Post by DCR » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:47 am

MailmanMuscle wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:11 pm Seated Lateral Raise - weights are per hand
20 lbs/12 reps
15/14

No warm up needed. The last 3-4 reps of each set were partials.

Pec Deck
85 lbs/12 reps
130/9
115/12 + 4 partials
- the ROM on those partials was so short, I couldn’t put them in the rep count.
I get that it may be tough to judge while on a deep cut, but have you felt that the added partials have brought some hypertrophy gainz?

MailmanMuscle

Stimulus To Fatigue Ratio 😰

Post by MailmanMuscle » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:23 pm

DCR wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:47 am I get that it may be tough to judge while on a deep cut, but have you felt that the added partials have brought some hypertrophy gainz?
I’m pretty sure the answer for me is yes. I have no way of quantifying how much, but I think they have. I’ve been incorporating partials for quite some time, well before I started this contest prep. I use them the most at the end of sets. It’s a default way of making sure that I’ve exhausted the muscle - if I can’t move it through a full range of motion anymore, then that has to be the “momentary muscular failure” that the HIT crew is always talking about. On lateral raises though, sometimes I’ll do a full set of overloaded partials on purpose. Or as I did at Gold’s recently, start a drop set with a weight that I know I can’t get for a full ROM, and do partials until I hit a weight that I can move through a full ROM.
MarkKO wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:26 pm What little I know of bodybuilding would make me suggest looking at posing to 'hide' the discrepancy between legs. I'm guessing there are ways to do this, although doubtless they would require a fair bit of skill when it comes to posing.

Second idea would be to do a bunch of single leg work on the left leg only for the remaining weeks. Logic would dictate that if you train the left leg as hard as you can and don't train the right at all, the left will grow at a significantly faster rate. I don't know how good an idea this is, so caveat emptor and all that but if someone with more experience in bodybuilding agrees it might actually not be the worst idea.
You’re absolutely right about hiding it. Unfortunately, there’s one pose in which I can’t hide it - that’s the “relaxed” pose when they put you through quarter turns. In fact, that first quarter turn to the right will have that side of my leg on full display. Maybe that’s okay, because they’ll see my right side afterwards. There are 2 side poses: side chest and side triceps. If they allow us to pick whatever side we want when they call for them, then I’m right side all day. 😁 If not, then I can’t do much about it except try to distract them with some arm theatrics.

That left leg only idea isn’t bad at all, but I’d be too anxious to try it going into this show about how my right side would be affected. I might try it after the show. I’ve heard of people who have an overpowering body part and don’t train it at all for a while to catch up whatever it’s overpowering. So you’re not crazy for that.

Wednesday 2/21/24: 10,545 steps, 4.6 miles, 6 floors climbed

Lower #2, Planet Fitness

Smith Machine Good Morning
55 lbs + bar/15 reps

There was only one smith machine available. My wife needed to do lunges, then sumo deadlifts. I was supposed to do good mornings and squats. By the time I got to the smith machine, she was doing her last set of lunges. So I decided to do a warmup set of good mornings, then do sumo deadlifts myself. It would have taken to much time stripping the bar and moving it from the bottom of the rack to shoulder height, and vice versa, after every set.

Smith Machine Sumo Deadlift - I may have done sumos on the smith 3 or 4 times in my life before this
55 lbs + bar/8 reps
180+/10
270+/8 - started using Versa Gripps here
360+/6 (0:19) - started wearing belt here
410+/6 (0:31)

Smith Machine Squat - sort of high bar
90 lbs + bar/6 reps
180+/6
230+/6 (0:31) - started using belt here
230+/10 (0:47)

I’m not sure if I should count that first set with 230+ as a work set or not. It felt challenging, but not backbreaking in the moment. But if I had 10 reps in me 2-3 minutes later, then how hard could the first set have been? I guess it all adds up in the end.

Seated Leg Curl
85 lbs/10 reps
drop set: 145/13 (0:36) + 115/11 (0:29)

Leg Extension
100 lbs/12 reps
rest-pause/drop set: 160/17 (0:36) + 70/9 left leg (0:19) + 55/5 left (0:07)

Hammer Abs Machine - similar to the “Super Abs” at Gold’s, but it only goes straight - no twist to the left or right
rest-pause set: 50 lbs/15 + 10 + 5 + 5 reps

Even with a trip to the locker room to change shirts and shoes between deadlift and squat, this took less than an hour. Under normal circumstances, I would not squat after deadlifts. It just seems so anti-powerlifting that it doesn’t feel right. Either way, I walked out of the gym feeling that what Dr. Mike Israetel often refers to - “SFR: stimulus to fatigue ratio” - was much higher than normal tonight. I feel much better now that I’ve eaten dinner. But yeah… that felt like work.

Here are clips of the top deadlift and squat sets, posted to IG.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:42 am

Understandable not wanting to make drastic changes not far out. Probably wise. Nice to know I'm not crazy though.

cole

Post by cole » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:56 am

MailmanMuscle wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:28 pm Lifting started as a dare from my wife (married 22 years, 3 children). We were watching an LL Cool J video, and I said that if I got to 200 pounds at 10% bodyfat, then I could look like him. She said I couldn’t do it, but she would love to see it. Challenge accepted!
Did she ever admit that you won the challenge??

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:32 am

I'm about a week late on the reply, but was just checking out your post on posing from last week. Amazing how much of a difference can be made through improvements in presentation. Looking good!

MailmanMuscle

Straight Sets

Post by MailmanMuscle » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:37 pm

cole wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:56 am
MailmanMuscle wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:28 pm Lifting started as a dare from my wife (married 22 years, 3 children). We were watching an LL Cool J video, and I said that if I got to 200 pounds at 10% bodyfat, then I could look like him. She said I couldn’t do it, but she would love to see it. Challenge accepted!
Did she ever admit that you won the challenge??
Yes, she did! 😁 A few years ago, I don’t remember how or why it came up, but in a casual, matter of fact kind of way she said “oh, you look better than him now”. I’m not convinced that I did, but I took that as confirmation that I had accomplished the mission.
Clearwater47 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:32 am I'm about a week late on the reply, but was just checking out your post on posing from last week. Amazing how much of a difference can be made through improvements in presentation. Looking good!
Thank you! Indeed, presentation is half of this endeavor. I’m spending increasingly more time on it. It’s bad enough that I’ll be essentially naked on a stage. I might as well get good at showing it off.
MarkKO wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:42 am Understandable not wanting to make drastic changes not far out. Probably wise. Nice to know I'm not crazy though.
Nothing I’ve seen from you has me thinking you’re crazy. At least, not any crazier than the rest of us who think repeatedly picking up heavy stuff is fun.

Catching up. I’ve worked some overtime every day this week, plus trying to get things in order for next week when my wife and I make our 13th or 14th trip to the Arnold Classic/Arnold Sports Festival. It’s a fun getaway for us, and an immersion into everything related to lifting and fitness culture: bodybuilding, powerlifting, strongman, and a bunch of other stuff. I need to be nailing my diet over the next week, because I’m going to have 2 (maybe 3) restaurant meals on this trip that are not going to fit my macros, no matter what I do. I already factored this into prep, and I think I’ll be okay.

Thursday 2/22/24: 12,332 steps, 5.5 miles, 4 floors climbed

Friday 2/23/24: 11,128 steps, 4.9 miles, 9 floors climbed

Upper #1, Gold’s Gym

Standing Calf Raise - not upper body, just conveniently outside the locker room
100 lbs/12 reps
160/10 (0:58)
160/18 (0:45)

I tried different rep speeds with the same load on the work sets.

T-Bar Row - hadn’t done these since Feb. 5, topped out at 2 drop sets starting with 160+ lbs
bar/8 wide overhand + 8 close neutral
45+ lbs/9 wide + 9 neutral - the bar feels like next to nothing, but it can’t be zero
100/5 wide + 5 neutral
145/5 wide + 3 neutral
170/12 wide (0:30) - started wearing belt and Versa Gripps here; last 2 reps had slightly less ROM
170/12 neutral (0:26) - definitely a partial on the last rep

Decline Bench Press - with Rogue neutral grip bar, hadn’t done these since Feb. 5, topped w/drop set starting with 205
bar/12 reps
135 lbs/10 reps
185/6
225/5 (0:22)
195/8 (0:31)

I have to keep reminding myself that I’m the lightest I have been in over 10 years, probably 12-13 years. I have to give myself some grace on these lifts. I’m still keeping up with where I was a few weeks ago, so that’s a good sign.

Pullover - last did these on Feb. 10; a long set with 140 that took almost 2 minutes; I wasn’t doing that again
80 lbs/12 reps
155/12.5 (1:15) - tried and failed a 13th rep

Rear Delt Machine - never used this one before, but they’re all very similar
70 lbs/15 reps - only did this to get used to the feel of this machine, not warm muscles
120/15.5 - tried and failed a 16th rep

Standing Lateral Raise Machine - on Feb. 5, did a crazy drop set starting with 100 lbs
50 lbs/5 reps - just to feel the movement
80/14 (0:41) - partials on last 2 reps

Cable Crossover - cables at shoulder height
50 lbs/6 reps
50/14 (0:55)

I wasn’t sure what weight I would go with, since this is only my second time ever doing them. I did a few reps with the weight I used last time, and decided to run it again for a full set.

Standing Cable Pressdown - back against pad
60 lbs/16 reps (0:50)

I didn’t go into this workout planning to do straight sets, with no set extenders or extra intensity techniques. I’m not sure why I did, but I feel very good about how it went. I might try this again on my next lower day. We’ll see.

Saturday 2/24/24: 16,815 steps, 7.8 miles, 6 floors climbed

EricK
Marine Mammal

Post by EricK » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:28 pm

MarkKO wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:55 pm You're looking good. From what I know, solid place to be in 12 weeks out.
+1 looking good, @MailmanMuscle and good news from the doc!

I don't know much about competitive BB prep, but I'd be damn happy to look like that period, well done.

MailmanMuscle

On The Road

Post by MailmanMuscle » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:29 am

EricK wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:28 pm
+1 looking good, @MailmanMuscle and good news from the doc!

I don't know much about competitive BB prep, but I'd be damn happy to look like that period, well done.
Thank you sir!

This week has been hectic, as I’ve worked 10+ hours every work day since Friday. Sunday/Monday were largely tied up with a religious holiday and corresponding family time. On top of this, we were planning and packing for our trip to Columbus, Ohio for the Arnold Sports Festival (which is where I’m updating this log from). We did manage to train on Monday and Tuesday. This was the first time I have done real workouts on consecutive days in a long time. I also squeezed in a bonus workout while at work on Wednesday.

Since I’m recapping 3 workouts in one post, to keep it brief I’ll exclude the warmups and go straight to the work sets.

Monday 2/26/24: 5,767 steps, 2.2 miles, 8 floors climbed

Lower #1, Planet Fitness - modified this (as in reduced) because I didn’t start until almost 10:30 pm

Smith Machine Squat - relatively high bar
270+ lbs/10 reps

Leg Extension
ridiculous set: 75 lbs/12 left + 12 right + 10 left + 10 right + 9 left + 9 right + 135 lbs/11 bilateral

The reps on the left were done to failure, and then matched on my right side, which probably had 1-2 more reps left each round. The pauses between sides were about 10-20 seconds.

Seated Leg Curl
ridiculous set: 60 lbs/8 left + 8 right + 70 lbs/6 left + 6 right + 8 left + 8 right - slightly longer rest after the 6 on the right side
115/15 bilateral

Same format as the leg extensions, except I rested too long before the bilateral set to include it with the extended unilateral set.

Calf Raise - done on the upright leg press
I didn’t write these down, but I did 20-25 total reps. My hamstrings were so pumped that I couldn’t feel my calves. I quit and made a mental note to hit them before leaving town (same with abs).

Tuesday 2/27/24: 14,547 steps, 6.5 miles, 3 floors climbed

Upper #2, Planet Fitness

Smith Machine Seated Overhead Press
120+ lbs/5 reps
90+/9

Smith Machine Pendlay Row - This was my first time ever doing these. I think I found a winner. I’ll do a separate post about it.
180+ lbs/8 reps
180+/10

Chest Press Machine - press angle was somewhere between flat and decline bench
130 lbs/8.25 reps - I tried a 9th rep, and it didn’t move much.

Cable Pulldown - underhand grip on short, straight bar
drop set: 200 lbs/8 reps + 160/6

Cable Pressdown - short, straight bar
drop set: 85 lbs/7 reps + 70/6 + 60/7

Wednesday 2/28/24: 14,547 steps, 6.3 miles, 8 floors climbed

Bonus Workout, Planet Fitness

Hammer Strength Ab Crunch - like “Super Abs” at Gold’s, you crunch down and flex your lower body up, but middle only
30 lbs/10 reps
50/10
70/10

I try to make all abs sets into work sets.

Calf Press - on upright leg press; slow eccentric with pause and stretch at the bottom
145 lbs, 15 reps
205/10
245/1 + 30 second hold in the stretch at the bottom

On to the Arnold Expo!