Failed IPF/IPF Affiliate Drug Tests

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

Manveer
M3N4C3

Failed IPF/IPF Affiliate Drug Tests

Post by Manveer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 am

I'm glad when any cheater is caught. Kind of sucks that Mohamed Bouafia lifted at a high level for such a long time in the IPF and just now got popped. Good riddance.

I haven't really been following the news that closely, but I know that a bunch of USAPL lifters got caught too.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Re: Failed IPF/IPF Affiliate Drug Tests

Post by Cody » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:32 am

Drug tested =/= drug free. The Olympics are tested by the most sophisticated labs in the world, but they got duped for almost a decade by essentially everyone in weightlifting and track and field... And that's just the most recent example that we know of.

LexAnderson
small whoopie mouse

Post by LexAnderson » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:09 am

I think that the USAPL toutes themselves too much as having all “drug free” athletes. I watch med the livestream of nationals and I can’t tell you how many times I heard them reference it was the best place for “drug free” lifters. I feel they’re putting themselves in a corner with saying these things. Won’t end well.

topfen

Post by topfen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:18 am

Maybe drug testing isn't very serious in the USAPL? I did a quick google and got the WADA anti-doping testing figures report from 2015 and the USAPL only reported 52 drug testing results to the WADA (a fraction of the numbers a lot of other western countries reported).
At my old boxing gym we had a kick- and thaiboxing team and because the french are pretty much the only ones in europe that take anti-doping seriously in these sports pretty much the only time people got popped was when french officials took part in the testing procedures and made sure the urine samples actually reached a lab. Taking urine examples is a lot less expensive than legit testing. Maybe you have a somewhat similiar situation in powerlifting?

EDIT: Found the 2016 report and USAPL reported 74 drug tests to wada whereas my own countries powerlifting federation (austria has 8.7mio citizen) reported 68 drug tests to wada and they probably had to test every active powerlifter multiple times to reach that number. :lol:

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

Post by d0uevenlift » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:17 am

topfen wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:18 am Maybe drug testing isn't very serious in the USAPL? I did a quick google and got the WADA anti-doping testing figures report from 2015 and the USAPL only reported 52 drug testing results to the WADA (a fraction of the numbers a lot of other western countries reported).
At my old boxing gym we had a kick- and thaiboxing team and because the french are pretty much the only ones in europe that take anti-doping seriously in these sports pretty much the only time people got popped was when french officials took part in the testing procedures and made sure the urine samples actually reached a lab. Taking urine examples is a lot less expensive than legit testing. Maybe you have a somewhat similiar situation in powerlifting?

EDIT: Found the 2016 report and USAPL reported 74 drug tests to wada whereas my own countries powerlifting federation (austria has 8.7mio citizen) reported 68 drug tests to wada and they probably had to test every active powerlifter multiple times to reach that number. :lol:
What do you mean? Here’s a link that contains a list of tests administered by the USAPL this year. http://www.usapowerlifting.com/drug-testing/

OCG

Post by OCG » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:47 am

USAPL does a lot of $75 piss tests with outside labs. They do considerably fewer with actual WADA/USADA approved labs.

topfen

Post by topfen » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:03 am

@d0uevenlift: Basically what OCG said. I don't know how good the USAPL drug tests are. I know from other drug tested sports that there are huge differences from sport to sport and country to country even if these sports are nominally part of WADA. From what I had to study when I got a low level coaching license for boxing drug testing done right is a really expensive and complicated process and even expensive urine tests are of very limited use if they are only administered at competitions because they are easy to beat. Cheaper ones often only test for narcotics and a handfull of anabolic substances and are not very reliable if you haven't taken any drugs for more than a couple of days.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:01 am

Manveer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 am I'm glad when any cheater is caught. Kind of sucks that Mohamed Bouafia lifted at a high level for such a long time in the IPF and just now got popped. Good riddance.

I haven't really been following the news that closely, but I know that a bunch of USAPL lifters got caught too.
Good day Manveer!

Accusations of steroid use violates The Rules.
Maybe the prohibited substances were snuck into Mr. Bouafia's suppliment stack,
or perhaps he consumed some tainted meat from Mexico, or something along those lines.
Also, transmission through sexual contact with another who is a using is another possibility.

Mods,please delete this thread under the premise of Article VII of The Rules.

Thank you.

(note: genetic engineering was not implemented in the creation of this post)

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:52 pm

Cody wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:32 am Drug tested =/= drug free. The Olympics are tested by the most sophisticated labs in the world, but they got duped for almost a decade by essentially everyone in weightlifting and track and field... And that's just the most recent example that we know of.
Exactly. Robert Wilks is always going on about how only PA records count because their athletes have signed the deceleration to abode by WADA regulations; every athlete who's ever been popped has signed that declaration, it's meanlingless
LexAnderson wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:09 am I think that the USAPL toutes themselves too much as having all “drug free” athletes. I watch med the livestream of nationals and I can’t tell you how many times I heard them reference it was the best place for “drug free” lifters. I feel they’re putting themselves in a corner with saying these things. Won’t end well.

the IPF are still pushing for olympic recognition. USAPL are trying to ram home the idea that there is powerlifting without drugs, which is a hard sell to the general public

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:05 am

I believe, technically, USAPL is supposed to temporarily banned from competing internationally, due to the amount of lifters that have tested positive.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:10 am

LexAnderson wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:09 am I think that the USAPL toutes themselves too much as having all “drug free” athletes. I watch med the livestream of nationals and I can’t tell you how many times I heard them reference it was the best place for “drug free” lifters.
It's on all their goddamn posters. Especially at nationals, it is plainly obvious that they aren't 100% drug free. In their defense, SURELY they are more drug free than various lolfeds, and every sport, AND GOLF, is not drug free. But they can take this pretentious bullshit, along with ALL THE OTHER pretentious bullshit they fucking bathe themselves in, and fuck themselves with it. Right in the ear.
topfen wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:18 am Maybe drug testing isn't very serious in the USAPL? I did a quick google and got the WADA anti-doping testing figures report from 2015 and the USAPL only reported 52 drug testing results to the WADA (a fraction of the numbers a lot of other western countries reported).

I was mildly surprised I wasn't drug tested at the Columbus meet I did. Just strolled in from out of town and set an IPF (technically, shut up) record, was only beat in the squat by a guy who said he came in 8th at the previous Nationals (I dearly hope they thought to drug test him, just because it's common fucking sense to test the best lifter there), and I saw them call a completely competent teenager for drug testing instead. Though maybe they thought my LMAO3PLAET bench press was proof enough I wasn't on ANYTHING that could enhance performance. If I wasn't fat, they'd probably believe I was malnourished after that.

If nothing else, stop "randomly" testing, and just test the guys in the top 10 or whatever percent of the field. And probably anyone who sets any record. No one really cares if the guy third to last is on steroids.

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:19 pm

DirtyRed wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:10 am If nothing else, stop "randomly" testing, and just test the guys in the top 10 or whatever percent of the field. And probably anyone who sets any record. No one really cares if the guy third to last is on steroids.
This is what the NASA federation does. They test based on their coefficient (which is horribly broken for heavier lifters). So if you score over a certain mark in their system, you get tested. They also look at your previous lifting in their fed. If you coefficient jumps up pretty fast in a short period time, you can also get tested. But I agree, who cares if the guy with the worst total is using or not. It is punishment enough knowing that he probably went home uber depressed because he was the worst lifter geared out to the max. ;-)

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:27 am

Les wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:19 pm
DirtyRed wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:10 am If nothing else, stop "randomly" testing, and just test the guys in the top 10 or whatever percent of the field. And probably anyone who sets any record. No one really cares if the guy third to last is on steroids.
This is what the NASA federation does.
Wasting all my money on taking pictures of Pluto when they should be developing a warp drive so I can literally leave humanity behind.

Fuck'em.

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:52 am

DirtyRed wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:27 am Wasting all my money on taking pictures of Pluto when they should be developing a warp drive so I can literally leave humanity behind.

Fuck'em.
After losing a lot of their funding, NASA needed to find ways to make money to support the space program. Backyard powerlifting is a key component to this. ;-)

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:52 pm

Edit to add - I heard back from the USAPL Maine guy, and it sounds like this is not something i need to be concerned about. : )

Do any of you know of IPF or USAPL lifters who are long term ketogenic eaters?
I ask because -

From the World anti doping code prohibited list.

5.1 Activators of the AMP-activated protein kinase
(AMPK), e.g. AICAR; and
Peroxisome Proliferator Activated Receptor δ
(PPARδ) agonists, e.g. GW 1516;

I know the ketogenic diet activates AMP-k
I don't know anything about the presence of those substances listed though.

I just shot a message to the main USAPL guy for Maine asking if he has experience or knowledge of lifters on a ketogenic diet in regards to the testing USAPL uses.

Gonna message the guy at ketogains too. He/they should know.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:38 am

does this go here?
(Quarter Squat Gang guy got popped).

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:06 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:38 am does this go here?
Sure. Pretty funny. Stupid that he lifted in a tested fed.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:04 am

Manveer wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:06 am
that Ostarine shit is/has been found in some of the shelf supps....so I might give the guy a pass.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:16 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:04 am
that Ostarine shit is/has been found in some of the shelf supps....so I might give the guy a pass.
LOL! No. He was cheating, taking the most common SARMs stack and competing in a tested fed.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:55 pm

Stupid that he didn't stop taking steroids before lifting in a tested meet.

Maybe I don't understand how teh sterons work, but that seems like the easy solution.