The Gaming Thread

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Re: The Gaming Thread

Post by DirtyRed » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:34 pm

hsilman wrote:
KoolaidMannn wrote:Density 2 on PS4 >xbox
It's not out for PC yet, but someone sell me on destiny 2. What is it, exactly?
It's an "MMO-lite," which is to say it's all of the micro-transactions, tedious grind, and irritating players, but with none of the depth, world building, or satisfying reward. You run around and shoot all the same enemies with all the same guns as one of three classes that are pretty much indistinguishable from each other beyond their Action Ability thing that you get to use about once every ten fucking minutes. Then you get to MAX LEVEL and either PvP (which is apparently just Halo multiplayer with less fun) or do PvE raids to get stronger guns to keep on shooting the exact same things you've been shooting, just with a gun with a higher PewPew rating.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:09 pm

Holy tits, DR has such a negative, shitty perspective.

It's a looter-shooter that plays like a mix of borderlands 2 and halo. It's got new end game content released every week, and will have big content/dlc every 3-4 months that expand the world, content, and end-game activities. It's literally what halo would be if it were an mmo. Very addicting and rewarding gameplay.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:49 am

Cody wrote:Holy tits, DR has such a negative, shitty perspective.

It's a looter-shooter that plays like a mix of borderlands 2 and halo. It's got new end game content released every week, and will have big content/dlc every 3-4 months that expand the world, content, and end-game activities. It's literally what halo would be if it were an mmo. Very addicting and rewarding gameplay.
ok, that actually doesn't sound appealing to me. No worries.
DirtyRed wrote:
hsilman wrote:
KoolaidMannn wrote:Density 2 on PS4 >xbox
It's not out for PC yet, but someone sell me on destiny 2. What is it, exactly?
It's an "MMO-lite," which is to say it's all of the micro-transactions, tedious grind, and irritating players, but with none of the depth, world building, or satisfying reward. You run around and shoot all the same enemies with all the same guns as one of three classes that are pretty much indistinguishable from each other beyond their Action Ability thing that you get to use about once every ten fucking minutes. Then you get to MAX LEVEL and either PvP (which is apparently just Halo multiplayer with less fun) or do PvE raids to get stronger guns to keep on shooting the exact same things you've been shooting, just with a gun with a higher PewPew rating.
You are generally negative about most shit but given that you hold the correct opinion that FFXI is the best MMO ever made, combined with Cody's description I'm going to pass.

Been playing a bunch of Overwatch as I mentioned. The new Mercy is super interesting. Can't wait to see how it plays out in the meta.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:14 pm

New Mercy kind of breaks TDM, though. I also played a lot of Mercy because she was a pretty low skill floor character that could still contribute meaningfully, but she has a higher skill floor and a much higher ceiling. I'll still have my Symmetra, I guess!

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:15 pm

hsilman wrote:given that you hold the correct opinion that FFXI is the best MMO ever made
That game. So much time spent in Vana'diel. Holy time warp.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Re:

Post by hsilman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:47 pm

Allentown wrote:New Mercy kind of breaks TDM, though. I also played a lot of Mercy because she was a pretty low skill floor character that could still contribute meaningfully, but she has a higher skill floor and a much higher ceiling. I'll still have my Symmetra, I guess!
you could play Lucio, just need decent positioning, all else is nice but not needed.

I've been loving Ana. Talk about a skill floor/ceiling. So much to do!

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:43 am

hsilman wrote: you could play Lucio, just need decent positioning, all else is nice but not needed.

Yeah, I used to play a fair bit of Lucio. For the most part, though, I just play for the arcade loot boxes these days, and TDM seems to be the shortest round time game mode, which both gets me those 9 wins faster, and gives me smaller chunks of time where I'm slightly less "available" should the kid start crying.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:17 am

May actually finish Breath of the Wild If people stop coming over.
(I hope people don't stop coming over)

Playing an absurd amount of ever wing on the iphone. Stupid terrible fucking game. I am wildly too competative with the ex over this game(everything)

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:39 am

Idlehands wrote:May actually finish Breath of the Wild If people stop coming over.
(I hope people don't stop coming over)

Playing an absurd amount of ever wing on the iphone. Stupid terrible fucking game. I am wildly too competative with the ex over this game(everything)
Neat. I watched Moana last night. Really just made me want to play WindWaker again.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Re:

Post by hsilman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:56 am

Allentown wrote:
hsilman wrote: you could play Lucio, just need decent positioning, all else is nice but not needed.

Yeah, I used to play a fair bit of Lucio. For the most part, though, I just play for the arcade loot boxes these days, and TDM seems to be the shortest round time game mode, which both gets me those 9 wins faster, and gives me smaller chunks of time where I'm slightly less "available" should the kid start crying.
I want more skins. I'm even thinking of buying the Origins edition or whatever upgrade

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:42 am

hsilman wrote: Neat. I watched Moana last night. Really just made me want to play WindWaker again.
I try and play Wind Waker once a year every spring.
hsilman wrote: I want more skins. I'm even thinking of buying the Origins edition or whatever upgrade
It's partly the dripdrip of filling up a progress bar, while playing a fun game in bite-sized chunks.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:57 pm

Have only been playing Overwatch. Trying out different characters, but I'm probably a Lucio main still.

Was able to play some board games yesterday. Secret Hitler is a fun social deduction/hidden roles game. Definitely a new evolution/generation compared to others.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:59 pm

Playing destiny 2 (ps4) when the family goes to bed. Seems a lot easier to chain some public events now. I'm liking the lost sectors content, can't remember if they were in the last one ... maybe they just weren't made as explicitly 'lost sectory'. PVE combat has a decent feel. I find myself going punch-frenzy a lot more than the first one: Titan has several gimmicks that are punch reliant in different ways - I presume the other classes do too but haven't played either of them yet. The wait for a special or grenade to tick up seems a tad long though. I'll start getting into some strikes soon, haven't really had the time to run those yet.

Never finished Mass Effect Andromeda (bored). Never finished Horizon Zero Dawn (but really liked it, until I hit a sameness wall). Dropped COD Infinite Warfare after a couple of hours.

Excitedly awaiting Warhammer Total War II (PC), popping any moment now. Played the absolute ring out of the first one.

cwd

Post by cwd » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:04 am

Re-playing Bloodborne now. It's better with a PS4 pro, frame rate is solid.

My kids are into For Honor. The 11yo kicks ass.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:02 am

cwd wrote:Re-playing Bloodborne now. It's better with a PS4 pro, frame rate is solid.

My kids are into For Honor. The 11yo kicks ass.
How do you deal with Bloodborne being so grim? I watch horror for fun but playing Bloodborne was a serious downer. That and the boss frustration was just too much.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:13 am

Shane wrote:How do you deal with Bloodborne being so grim? I watch horror for fun but playing Bloodborne was a serious downer. That and the boss frustration was just too much.
I loved the Lovecraftian world. When you enter the Cathedral and see the statues for the first time :shock:

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:15 am

aurelius wrote:
Shane wrote:How do you deal with Bloodborne being so grim? I watch horror for fun but playing Bloodborne was a serious downer. That and the boss frustration was just too much.
I loved the Lovecraftian world. When you enter the Cathedral and see the statues for the first time :shock:
Ugh. This needs to be on PC.
Also, I think the Call of Cthulhu game is still coming pretty soon?

cwd

Post by cwd » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:53 am

Shane wrote: How do you deal with Bloodborne being so grim? I watch horror for fun but playing Bloodborne was a serious downer. That and the boss frustration was just too much.
The worst was the gradual realization that my actions were bringing on the end of the world. I was the bad guy all along. It's brilliant story-telling.

But yes, very very dark. I hope Fromsoft's next action-RPG title (whatever it is) will be less dark.

Re: frustration, the difficulty is what makes the eventual win worthwhile. I like games tough enough that it takes me multiple attempts to get past a boss. The learning process is what's interesting.

I replay Fromsoft games using different builds each time, to require me to re-learn the boss fights.
Using Beast Claws this time -- very short range but with a neat mechanic where each hit builds your "beast meter" and increases damage dealt and taken.
You have to play very aggressively, and the fights tend to be very short -- you die or win in a hurry.

cwd

Post by cwd » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:12 am

Re: bloodborne difficulty:

Note: the main game isn't actually this bad.

This guy is running the deepest chalice dungeons, where every mob and trap can one-shot you, and where the layout and mob locations are randomized so they always surprise you. The best loot is down there, but...

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:04 am

^
Dying because the camera is not cooperating is not good gameplay. Instantly dying from a randomly placed trap you could not possibly have detected is insulting to people who paid $60 for a game instead of just saving their money and slamming their heads in a car door, and enjoying it is mental illness.

Back on the topic of Destiny 2 and why it's crap, here is a really long video detailing every last reason why it's a bad game and you shouldn't like it, along with some accurate praise for how pretty it looks and sounds. And he didn't shit on the dialogue enough. 99% of the dialogue is either clumsy expositional claptrap no one could possibly care about or the most uninspired one liners spammed all over the place in an attempt to have every moment be a cool moment, even though shit like that works better when done DISCERNINGLY.

WWE writers would resign in shame if they wrote something as bad as some of this shit.

Here is a much shorter video summarizing most of why it's a bad game and you shouldn't like it.

And here's DR summarizing what's wrong with Destiny 2 in two sentences: It's the result of a confluence of the worst part of shooters these days, MMOs these days, Triple A games these days, and free-mium games. It's a staggeringly shallow number grind with pay-to-win microtransaction bullshit in a $60 game that leads 9001 functionally identical Chosen Ones (Chosen/Anointed/Prophesized/Only ones being played out tripe in general, and universally fucking dogshit in MMOs) around by the nose while trying to keep them mesmerized with slightly higher numbers even though pretty all guns are the same point and shoot bore as every other gun.

I'm not saying you aren't allowed to like it. I'm saying that if you DO like it, you are the reason this species is a failure and it makes me angry. Futhermore, you're the reason the entertainment industry in general is such an uninspired turdburger and the reason those of us who actually have standards can't have nice things.

And your mom's fat.

And NieR Automata is fucking boss (aside from some camera silliness and the single most bullshit enemy I think I have ever encountered in video games), and I command all of you to get it so that they'll maybe make another one ten years from now.