The Gaming Thread

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Cody
Equipment Guru

Re: The Gaming Thread

Post by Cody » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:00 pm

Murelli wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:11 am Sooooo...

I have an Xbox and have half a mind to buy Gold next month, since it will pay itself out in less than 6 months. Been mapping games to buy and...

Destiny 2 - Cody, a pretty knowledgeable, sensible and reasonable guy, who at least has the brains to put some magnificent reviews up, says play it.

ohrealyus, a Grade A Asshole who can't even understand how a federation is supposed to work and wastes his time engaging some mindless goo about politics on the interwebz, but also has some brains to understand sound principles of programming, nutrition, and lifting gear, says play it.

DR, a numbskulled dimwitted shadbellied snow baboon who spends too much time around inbred trailer park rednecks in godforsaken Pisswater - KY, aaaaaand has less than half a functioning brain from all those concussions from his rugby days, thinks TM is a good lifting program, knows jack shit about nutrition and is as polished as a chunk of charcoal, says don't play it.

Hard to wrap my mind around it now. I think I'll buy it and see for myself.
Lulz! If you do, hit me up and I'll help you with anything you need.

Nermin

Re:

Post by Nermin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:28 pm

Allentown wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:48 am Divinity:OS is the funniest game I have ever played. But I hear the new one is better all around. Get D:OS2, Nermin.
Reply cheesemate! Fuckin Loake store closed at 6pm today. WTF kind of economy are these Britons running that doesn't operate til 9pm? Brexit this shit now! Did get about 8 shirts from TM Lewin, for under 200 "quid". Spent a bunch of money at the idiotic activity known as afternoon tea somewhere by Piccadilly circus. Idea is sound but I felt like a goddamn imbecile nibbling on adorable little sandwiches and scrumptious tarts and pastries. Emasculatingly delightful. The bathrooms are private egg shaped booths (portapotties). Pedestrians don't know how to walk, like, at all. People just run into traffic randomly, as if no one played frogger in their life. I'm asked if I'm alright, constantly. Cabs are a make and model of a car that doesn't seem to exist anywhere else in the world. I have more observations but my egg poo is concluding.

Their boots are damn nice, though.

Nermin

Post by Nermin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Can someone explain to me how your destiny can have a sequel? Or should I be reading it: Destiny, Too.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:15 pm

Nermin wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:54 pm Can someone explain to me how your destiny can have a sequel? Or should I be reading it: Destiny, Too.
Reincarnation. Next question.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:41 am

Cody wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:08 am
DirtyRed wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:10 pmA bunch of drivel.
Let's start off with the fact that you have repeatedly accused me of "attacking" you, which was proven to be untrue, and that you haven't admitted your fault.
This very thread:
Holy tits, DR has such a negative, shitty perspective.
DR is literally brain damaged.
DR is fake news.
you're absolute shit at games
You remind me of Rip [DR's Note: DR is at least two inches taller than Rip]
you just suck.
Only one of these is remotely defensible as objective fact, and I think we all know which one it is.
As to your opinion on a game that has set multiple records in the industry,
These "records," like most PS4 digital downloads in a week or whatever, are a testament more to the increasing prevalence of digital downloads and marketing hype than whether or not Destiny 2 is actually a good game. You don't claim McDonald's has to worlds best cheeseburgers because they've sold more cheeseburgers through the drivethrough than anyone else in an completely arbitrary period of time.
I don't really care that you have a shit opinion. You are entitled to think whatever you want. I take issue with the fact that you were espousing lies and misinformation.
Let's review:
-There is no crafting, period.
-There is freemium bullshit, I didn't even bring up the shader bullshit of taking what USED to be an unlimited use item and making it a microtransaction with one use
-The enemies are interchangeable practice dummies
-The campaign is absolute, meritless shit in every goddamn facet. It is so fucking wretched that any potential positive to the "endgame" is completely irrelevant because no one except the most thick-headed retard would suffer through the whole goddamn thing.
-Character creation/progression is shit.

These are facts.
hsilman wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:55 amI'm still mostly playing Overwatch, though I'm looking for a single player game, maybe a jrpg to take up my time with.
NieR Automata. DEFINITELY if it comes up on a sale again.

If it goes on sale, and you don't buy it, we will meet on the Field of Honor.

Unless you've already got it. I don't pay much attention to things people who aren't me are doing.
Murelli wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:11 amDR, a numbskulled dimwitted shadbellied snow baboon who spends too much time around inbred trailer park rednecks in godforsaken Pisswater - KY, aaaaaand has less than half a functioning brain from all those concussions from his rugby days, thinks TM is a good lifting program, knows jack shit about nutrition and is as polished as a chunk of charcoal, says don't play it.
I'm going to have to remember "shadbellied."

And don't buy it, you jagoff. Rent it first. You can at least get a feel for if you like the soulless, mind numbing, skinnerbox tedium in pretty environments before you encourage Bungie to produce more of this shit.

Or do they not have Vídeo Familiar in Brazil?
Nermin wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:54 pm Can someone explain to me how your destiny can have a sequel? Or should I be reading it: Destiny, Too.
By the sound of it, it REALLY should be called that. I never played the first Destiny, but even people who otherwise like Destiny 2 say it's basically the exact same game as Destiny 1 was after its final expansion, at best. It's a glorified DLC, for $60 mind you, with some extra microtransactions. For your convenience of course.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:39 am

DirtyRed wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:41 am
hsilman wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:55 amI'm still mostly playing Overwatch, though I'm looking for a single player game, maybe a jrpg to take up my time with.

Unless you've already got it. I don't pay much attention to things people who aren't me are doing.

I don't have it, but I was really interested when it came out. I will put a notification on ITAD for it.

Where is it on the difficulty scale? More like Dark Souls 3, or more like Metal Gear Rising?

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:22 am

DirtyRed wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:41 amThis very thread:
None of those require "mod privileges" to "attack" you. You literally said I was like Rip because I abused mod privileges to attack you. I didn't. Don't try and twist the conversation just because you were wrong.
Only one of these is remotely defensible as objective fact, and I think we all know which one it is.
Wait, so do you or don't you have brain damage?
I want NieR, but won't pay more than $30 for it. Let me know when its on sale.

I also want Senua's sacrafice and the FFXII Zodiac Age, but not for more than $15 and $20 respectively.

I lulzd about the microtransaction comment in your log, btw.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:43 am

DirtyRed wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:41 am I'm going to have to remember "shadbellied."

And don't buy it, you jagoff. Rent it first. You can at least get a feel for if you like the soulless, mind numbing, skinnerbox tedium in pretty environments before you encourage Bungie to produce more of this shit.

Or do they not have Vídeo Familiar in Brazil?
Renting is so 1990s. I'll have to see if it still exists around here.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:39 am

hsilman wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:39 am
DirtyRed wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:41 am

I don't have it, but I was really interested when it came out. I will put a notification on ITAD for it.

Where is it on the difficulty scale? More like Dark Souls 3, or more like Metal Gear Rising?
You've got some whacky "routes" or playthroughs or whatever. On the initial one, I had it set to normal, and only died once, when I first hit the overworld, attacked the first moose I saw, and got immediately murdered. When you get some chips like "Auto-Use Item" (automatically pops a recovery item when you fall below 30% HP) and Deadly Heal (Heals 10% minimum, more if a higher chip level, when you kill an enemy), Shock Wave (weak shock waves from attacks don't do damage, but are great at swatting bullets and harassing enemies), and so on, you have to pretty much TRY to die on normal. I switched to hard mode, and I'm dying rather regularly, because now enemies can kill me from greater than 30% health. I altered my chip set up to include Overclock (slows time for a period based on chip level when you time a dodge right) and Anti-Chain Damage (Mercy invincibility for a second or two after getting hit once), and I STILL die in big fights if I'm not careful.

Hard is a pretty good sweet spot for difficulty, ranging into goddamn irritating in spots with certain bullshit enemies. It's probably a bit like DS3, only not quite as severe, and a COMPLETELY different pace to the combat. Dark Souls is slower, stamina managing combat where you pick your spots for a few quick hits against one or two enemies at a time. NieR is fast paced clusterfuck (Devil May Cry, Bayonetta) mixed with a bullet storm game where hitting the attack buttons (two of them for the battle model androids, the second one is a hack button for the scout models) results in a spastic flurry of attacks you cap off with a nuke and blow up 15 enemies at once before having to frantically dodge the next 15.

There's also a Very Hard, which claims that any one hit will immediately kill you. I guarantee you that Very Hard will be the hardest game any human ever plays. I Wanna Be the Guy is bitchmade compared to that.

There's also Easy where you can equip chips like "Auto-Attack" and "Auto-Dodge" and shit. Just in case you feel like paying money for a game that plays itself I guess.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:14 am

I remember reading that NieR Automata was short. Like a sub-10 hour play through. Is that true?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:58 am

aurelius wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:14 am I remember reading that NieR Automata was short. Like a sub-10 hour play through. Is that true?
But subsequent playthroughs are significantly different, apparently.
Bayonetta was also pretty short, if you really wanted you could probably set it to "Automatic" mode and beat it in under 10 hours, and I ended up putting >100 hours into it, and still had some stuff to do (buy the ticket to fight Rodan).

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:18 am

Just curious. I read it was a good game but short. I don't want to spend $60 on 10 hours. But based on DR and other's recommendations, I will pick this game up if on sale.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:26 pm

aurelius wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:14 am I remember reading that NieR Automata was short. Like a sub-10 hour play through. Is that true?
Maybe if you do the bare minimum amount of stuff to advance the plot, and haul ass through even that, the first playthrough could be done in 10 hours. I went around and did nearly every side quest (the side quests being MUCH better than in the first NieR, where they were legendarily awful) I could find.

The way the "playthroughs" work is that you play with one character and a buddy in tow until the end point. Then you play through mostly the same stuff as the buddy with the character you played the first time in tow. While the characters are different, have different abilities that play into what they're doing in the storyline, and are occasionally separated, therefore you get a different perspective on what's going on which gives you, the player, more complete information, and fills in some blanks about what was going on when the two characters were separated, there is quite a bit of doing the exact same shit you did in the first play through. Once you get through the starting level and into the open world, half of the playthrough is pretty much identical to the first as far as what you're doing, there's just a scene added here or there.

Then that second play through ends at pretty much the same spot as the first one, and the "third" "play through" "starts" "from" "the" "ending point" of the first and second playthroughs, and goes until ??? I haven't finished this yet.

Steam says I have 45 hours in the game, though I'd bet at least ten were spent not actually PLAYING, and either taking a dump, taking a shower, getting some food, shitposting, or flipping through some of the "Intel" (think Mass Effect's Codex) instead of actually playing the game. So, if you want to REALLY complete the game, including doing the vast majority of the sidequests for story, atmosphere, and fun, along with farming up all the weapon upgrade bits to upgrade all your weapons to level 4 and farming chips until you're satisfied there has never been a more hyper-tuned android in history, you're probably looking at MINIMUM 40 hours. And I find the sidequests and even some farming fun to do because the combat is fun.

ETA: Sale is a good idea. I don't think it goes on sale very often, I'm pretty sure I got it on the Summer Sale when E V E R Y T H I N G was on sale, and it was $40. $40 is a good deal, even if you just want to play through the stuff and not complete every last goddamn thing. I would have paid $60 if I knew I'd like it this much.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:33 pm

I'm cool with paying $/hour though some people say that's too much. But I'm also fickle and impatient.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:05 pm

I think NieR Automata will be my next game purchase. Even the Honest Game Trailer makes it sound really appealing.

And I would call $1/hour a good puchase.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:17 pm

hsilman wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:33 pm I'm cool with paying $/hour though some people say that's too much. But I'm also fickle and impatient.
I think paying based on length alone is a poor metric. A really great game could be worth more per hour than an average game filled with bullshit fetch quests.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Cody wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:17 pm
hsilman wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:33 pm I'm cool with paying $/hour though some people say that's too much. But I'm also fickle and impatient.
I think paying based on length alone is a poor metric. A really great game could be worth more per hour than an average game filled with bullshit fetch quests.
sure, but I find that's rarely the case. If a game is shit, I don't end up playing it that much. It's about MY $/hr, not the "average to beat the game"

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:02 am

So, I totally definitely bought and paid for Nier:A. Definitely, how else would I get it?

Been mostly playing OW still, but now interspersed with N:A. I'd like a wider perspective where I can see all the enemies at once when fighting, but I can understand the design decision. Otherwise, fun so far but I'm barely 2hrs into the game, and I spent 30 minutes of that fishing.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:59 am

hsilman wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:02 am So, I totally definitely bought and paid for Nier:A. Definitely, how else would I get it?
Sexual favors?

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:27 am

DirtyRed wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:59 am
hsilman wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:02 am So, I totally definitely bought and paid for Nier:A. Definitely, how else would I get it?
Sexual favors?
I'm flattered, but I'm pretty sure that transaction would be in the opposite direction.