The Gaming Thread

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Renascent
Desperado

Re: The Gaming Thread

Post by Renascent » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:23 pm

aurelius wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:51 pm
Renascent wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:57 amThat Ryzen 9... is that with a watercooling setup or fans?

I'm trying to justify going with some sort of iGPU setup in the meantime. Not even looking for a 3000-series card (I don't intend to do much gaming, if at all), but even the lower-tiered cards have some nutty prices, from what I've seen.

Saw a 3000-series card the other day for something pandemic-reasonable (in the 700s, I think), but I didn't bite...
Liquid cooling. Surprisingly easy to install.

You can get a 3060 Ti for 700-800 pretty regularly. I picked one up off of Ebay after the last Best Buy resupply for $750. I game at 1440p so anything more than a 3070 series is overkill.

Newegg has a daily raffle where they sale graphics cards for MSRP.
The install for liquid cooling never worried me, but I've always been wary of myself with regard to upkeep. I'm more afraid of having to clean/maintain it.

For some reason, a 3000-series card below $800 doesn't seem as outlandish to me as it might've before. Could be the pandemic altering my point of view. I might need to chew on this to avoid doing something impulsive, though. Told myself I wouldn't set a timeline on this build -- just stash and wait.

I guess my original question should have been something along the lines of, "Has anybody settled for a chip with integrated graphics and been satisfied with it? Is it worth it to keep it even after acquiring a separate GPU?" Based on more reading, fashioning a setup with macOS outside of buying a bona fide Mac is a legal no-no... (obligatory disclaimer?)

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:23 am

Renascent wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:23 pmThe install for liquid cooling never worried me, but I've always been wary of myself with regard to upkeep. I'm more afraid of having to clean/maintain it.
I was worried about that too. It's like a once a year thing. Pretty self contained system.

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:18 am

I've been slowly playing through Horizon Zero Dawn on PC these days. It's very cool.

The End

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:54 pm

Got Wow Shadowlands a few weeks ago. Purely from a solo player perspective it is pretty good as an chill game during work downtime or similar. Tons and tons of stuff to do, and a very long and selectably difficult solo progression curve. You won't run out of things to do solo anytime soon, won't run out of new and better gear (+ vanity items) to get and even if you dip into some raids/group content it won't instantly replace your solo'd gear. Has a vaguely classic feel to it, which makes me think they're finally learning from running Classic in parallel. The latest state/level squish is kind of a failure (imo), but it's a failure in the sense of not going far enough, not going too far.

I'd say, if you've played in the past, it's probably worth a 2-3 month sub at least.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:57 pm

5hout wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:54 pm Got Wow Shadowlands a few weeks ago. Purely from a solo player perspective it is pretty good as an chill game during work downtime or similar. Tons and tons of stuff to do, and a very long and selectably difficult solo progression curve. You won't run out of things to do solo anytime soon, won't run out of new and better gear (+ vanity items) to get and even if you dip into some raids/group content it won't instantly replace your solo'd gear. Has a vaguely classic feel to it, which makes me think they're finally learning from running Classic in parallel. The latest state/level squish is kind of a failure (imo), but it's a failure in the sense of not going far enough, not going too far.

I'd say, if you've played in the past, it's probably worth a 2-3 month sub at least.
I'm still stuck on Return of Reckoning. Private server for Warhammer Online. Lots of fun, but I may give WoW a shot again. Just don't have tons of time to play anymore, so I need something that I can jump in and be "playing" instantly. Hate sitting around waiting for stuff to go down.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:31 pm

Darkest Dungeon was (is?) $4 on Steam, so bought it. Likely won't play it for a while.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:06 am

Brackish wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:57 pm
5hout wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:54 pm Got Wow Shadowlands a few weeks ago. Purely from a solo player perspective it is pretty good as an chill game during work downtime or similar. Tons and tons of stuff to do, and a very long and selectably difficult solo progression curve. You won't run out of things to do solo anytime soon, won't run out of new and better gear (+ vanity items) to get and even if you dip into some raids/group content it won't instantly replace your solo'd gear. Has a vaguely classic feel to it, which makes me think they're finally learning from running Classic in parallel. The latest state/level squish is kind of a failure (imo), but it's a failure in the sense of not going far enough, not going too far.

I'm still stuck on Return of Reckoning. Private server for Warhammer Online. Lots of fun, but I may give WoW a shot again. Just don't have tons of time to play anymore, so I need something that I can jump in and be "playing" instantly. Hate sitting around waiting for stuff to go down.
I've played a bit of private server WoW and looked at some others. A lot of cool stuff going on, tweaks to silly bullshit and such. Wish companies would embrace the idea.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:10 am

5hout wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:06 am
Brackish wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:57 pm

I've played a bit of private server WoW and looked at some others. A lot of cool stuff going on, tweaks to silly bullshit and such. Wish companies would embrace the idea.
Private can definitely be fun, but I've also run into situations where they are run by a group of friends. Those experiences were less than enjoyable.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:57 am

Anyone excited about Amazon's New World?

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:16 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:57 am Anyone excited about Amazon's New World?
Not even slightly. I watched it being streamed, and it didn't appeal to me at all. But I play MMOs primarily for PvP.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:27 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:57 am Anyone excited about Amazon's New World?
It looks interesting, but I'm not sure it has the legs to go the distance as an MMO. I evaluate MMOs for 3 characteristics, monetization, society, gameplay loops.

1: The monetization model scares me. It's buy to play, but cosmetics are purchased, and maybe fast travel, XP boosts and a battle pass in the future. This is giving me Archeage flashbacks, and not in a good way. Sustaining an MMO requires regular income, and unless they have some new way to build out paid expansions super fast I think it'll slowly creep towards "must buy" battlepass territory. Monthly sub not a deal breaker for me, but I don't like to get invested into a game that has a changing monetization model.

2: Society looks ok, but not good or great. Lots of open world and group content, unclear if it will actually be hard enough to require building relationships and plans or if any 5 idiots can clear most of it. MMO society is built around requiring competent other people to do stuff (imo) and it's hard to tell if this is going to exist for average game play. Of course almost any MMO is super fun at the beginning if you have time to jump in both feet, and I'm sure launch to 2 months will be fun. Even with questions about monetization and society looks like there could be a lot of fun to be had in the start, especially from the game play footage.

Economy probably the 2nd or 3rd most important part of building society into a game, and I couldn't get a good handle on the economy features to have an opinion one way or another.

PvP being fully optional, not a fan but understand why. It's a hard call to make, but with it being optional I think it'll tend towards everyone not godly going around noPvP flagged. They'll probably have to implement some FFA zones with high rewards or something, but could be cool. From what I saw I have little to no opinion on the vibrancy of the pvp.

3: Game play loops aren't super important, Eve and Naval Action both fun games with terrible basic game play, but if you're going to be spending 40 hours chopping trees down you want that to somehow be compelling game play. The combat looks above average for an MMo, with the caveat that lag/netcode could make it super frustrating to play (especially in pvp). Also, the downplay to no-targeting combat is trash clearing/routine combat is still moderately taxing and could become a frustratingly boring chore. I feel like a dick for this complaint, because for a long time I complained the ESO wasn't simply multi-player skyrim combat with better spells. A lot of this is going to come down to the tuning and abilities, but if I was planning on playing this would worry me.

The gathering loops look rock solid, very minecraft/valheim-ish but in an MMO. Could be a lot of fun, especially if they provide appropriate reasons to go around pvp flagged and/or the world stays dangerous enough to make group gathering a worthwhile activity. I didn't see high-level gathering videos, but from what I did see it looks like there's a good enough curve to your gathering speed that you won't hate yourself. On the other hand, success of gathering is tied to economy and I have 0 understand of the game wide eco and if it will support or destroy society.

Given my current time constraints I'm not really looking for an MMO I can't idle during work, and learning a new MMO is certainly not that, so I'll be passing, but it could turn out to be better than average.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:18 pm

5hout wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:27 amGiven my current time constraints I'm not really looking for an MMO I can't idle during work, and learning a new MMO is certainly not that, so I'll be passing, but it could turn out to be better than average.
This is my problem: my current gaming backlog is tremendous. A game must justify its greatness to get my attention.

Everyone love Deathloop apparently. It is tough for me to get excited for a FPS.

dw

Post by dw » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:44 pm

Watched some Twitch streams, Deathloop didn't strike me as an FPS although guns are an option. It looked very much like Dishonored without the morality system pushing you to non-fatality.

quikky

Post by quikky » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:26 am

FYI: Dragon Age: Inquisition and Control are free right now through Prime.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:56 am

quikky wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:26 am FYI: Dragon Age: Inquisition and Control are free right now through Prime.
I'm pretty sure I have these for free somewhere already lol

I grabbed Darkest Dungeon 2. I'm enjoying it, but I think I screwed up since I played like 20hrs and now I have to wait for more content. Still, I know I would get it eventually, so paying $16 now and playing it "for real" in 6 months is like preordering where I get to actually preview the content.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:25 am

Elden Ring looks AMAZING.

I am replaying Sekiro on PC in advance. Easy RAM hack on PC uncaps frames and lets you zoom out your view. 100% changes the game for the better.

quikky

Post by quikky » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:28 am

aurelius wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:25 am Elden Ring looks AMAZING.

I am replaying Sekiro on PC in advance. Easy RAM hack on PC uncaps frames and lets you zoom out your view. 100% changes the game for the better.
Have you played Dark Souls 3?

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:31 am

quikky wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:28 amHave you played Dark Souls 3?
NERD ALERT: I have played and beaten all the Souls games multiple times.

quikky

Post by quikky » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:36 am

aurelius wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:31 am
quikky wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:28 amHave you played Dark Souls 3?
NERD ALERT: I have played and beaten all the Souls games multiple times.
Damn... I only recently played through DS3. Hated it the first 5 hours or so due to the unforgiving nature of it. Absolutely loved it once I got the hang of it.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:42 am

quikky wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:36 amDamn... I only recently played through DS3. Hated it the first 5 hours or so due to the unforgiving nature of it. Absolutely loved it once I got the hang of it.
One's first experience with Souls games is like taking a test and realizing the test in on an entirely different subject than the one you prepared for.

I got Demon Souls for the PS3. Kept dying at the tutorial boss (you are supposed to). Rage quit. Dark Souls came out. It was so in. 'Prepare to Die.' and all that. Read a Forbes article that broke down the game was perfect. The gamer was what was wrong. Modern games were too easy.
Almost impossible to fail and expected nothing from the gamer. Souls was old school. Souls expects the gamer to bring their A game. So I just grinded through shear grit to get to the first boss. Finally beat first boss and it all clicked and made sense. Souls games are the most rewarding game experience I have ever had. When I finally did beat the final boss of Dark Souls (g** d*** Gwyn), I probably screamed Fuck You at the TV screen for 5 minutes. Fuck you, Gwyn! You can suck my nuts.

What I would say to people that are put off by the reputation: Souls games are hard but fair. And once you develop some basic skillzzz, the difficulty level drops tremendously. It is just understanding what is being asked of you. And 100% look to online guides on how to build your character. From Software character build systems are opaque and it is too easy to build a shitty character. Basically you need to pick a weapon you like and build your character around the weapon.

Picked up the remastered Demons Souls for PS5. Amazzze Ballzzz.

I already told my GF I will disappear for a month when Elden Ring is released.
Last edited by aurelius on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.