Official Pioneer Fitness Thread

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Official Pioneer Fitness Thread

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:55 am

Considered getting the nickel to avoid the inevitable chips and wear marks, but i like the all black, and there is always the sharpie solution for meet days if i feel i need that.
Meet director says i'm good to go with this, but i'm taking the other lever with me just in case.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:06 pm

After deadlifting and squatting in the 10mm stock Pioneer Cut belt: it's pretty great.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:58 pm

Allentown wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:06 pm After deadlifting and squatting in the 10mm stock Pioneer Cut belt: it's pretty great.
That's great.
I was kind of bummed out for you.

Nice thing about the PAL, it feels there is a little tightening up even on what would be the "same" position, because of the difference in where the pins go now vs where the old lever went into the 4 holes.

I may have gotten a bonus 1/4" initial adjustment
Pretty perfect at this point in time and space.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:18 am

Wilhelm wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:58 pm
Allentown wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:06 pm After deadlifting and squatting in the 10mm stock Pioneer Cut belt: it's pretty great.
That's great.
Poor me, who has now purchased 8 lifting belts and 5 work belts from Pioneer...

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:44 am

Allentown wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:18 am
That's great.
Yeah and that 10mm will break in so nicely. You have me beat on the work belts! I only have 3! I need more.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:22 pm

TwoFoursStrohm wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:44 am
Allentown wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:18 am
That's great.
Yeah and that 10mm will break in so nicely. You have me beat on the work belts! I only have 3! I need more.
Two of those are with family members, though.

Skander

Post by Skander » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:58 am

Btw I have a 6.5mm PC belt, and while it's fine for Olympic lifts and bench, I don't really find it that supportive feeling. 10mm would be better for most stuff.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:51 am

Skander wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:58 am
Btw I have a 6.5mm PC belt, and while it's fine for Olympic lifts and bench, I don't really find it that supportive feeling. 10mm would be better for most stuff.
I have a 6.5mm standard prong, and an 8.5mm Pioneer cut. Always wore them for deadlifts. I'd probably still recommend it for those.

13mm single suede lever
13mm dyed lever (*)
10mm stock (untreated) PC (*)
8.5mm single suede stock PC
6.5mm untreated
6.5mm 3" training belt PC (*)
2x Hybrid belts

Starred the ones I currently primarily use, and honestly I'd probably stick with the 8.5mm for deads if it wasn't too big for me.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:54 pm

You guys are making me want to buy a belt. In spite of the fact that I have never had a positive effect from using one. But I'm a gear whore, and I only have one belt which is an Inzer 13mm lever. I have never used a belt that did anything but hurt my lifts, but that Pioneer PAL thing looks pretty dope.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:53 am

Meet tested the PAL

Local/state USAPL meet, so the IPF approval thing was not an issue.

Had already noticed a different technique is required when fastening the lever.
With the traditional lever, pop the 4 pins in the holes, and my left hand is free to grab behind the belt at the overlap and pull out while closing the lever.
This gets the shirt/singlet out of the way as well as my belly so the belt isn' sliding directly over any of that, and seats cleanly.

With the PAL you need to keep some downward pressure on the face of the lever as you start closing it to keep the pins in the waves.

That's just a matter of getting used to the feel of it seating without my customary pulling the belt out.
Not ideal for me, and i miss that feel, but the lever is entirely workable, and in time i will get more used to that feel.

I actually did end up needing a looser slot for deadlift this time, and it was great it was there.

I think my approach will be to hopefully have it set so that my loosest required slot will be the center portion of the waves, and then any adjustment would be for going tighter.

It seemed like it was harder to keep it from popping out (only during closing, not after closed) with using the last, loosest pair of waves.

I'm not sure how much that was just mental, and not being as relaxed as at home.
I did end up closing the lever before the bar is loaded call though, so i wouldn't have any popping out of the pins on the platform where anyone could see.

I don't wear my belt hella tight anyway, so this wasn't a big deal.

I only lifted with the pal a couple of squat sessions, and one DL session before the meet, so i imagine with more time using it this whole issue will fade.

I do miss being able to pull the belt out some while closing the lever though.
maybe i'll find a touch for that, but i think it's just the nature of the beast.

Brick

Post by Brick » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:28 pm

Hi all,
I'm considering getting a 4" pioneer cut powerlifting belt shipped to Australia - trying to decide between a 6.5mm treated powerlifting belt and a 10mm untreated stock belt. Those fit my budget.

Currently using a 5.5mm leather training belt (tapered) I bought almost 30 years ago but have only started using regularly over the last few years. My lifts are not heavy but I'm working on it. About 180lbs on squat and same on deadlift for 6 reps. I weigh about 180lbs, am 5'10 and am fairly lean. Have had lower back problems from a compressed disc so being slow and careful.

I've read this whole forum and the pioneer website so I know the 8.5mm and the 10mm double suede have the same thickness of sole leather as the 6.5mm but the 10mm stock is all sole leather and is untreated so will be more rigid.

So my question is: do you guys reckon there is any major drawback to me getting the 10mm untreated stock powerlifting belt?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:41 pm

Nope.

Brick

Post by Brick » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:44 pm

Ordered!

alek

Post by alek » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:16 pm

Has anyone had any experience with one of these for turning your regular belt into a weighted dip/pullup belt?

https://generalleathercraft.com/product ... y-pioneer/

If so, did it have any negative effects on your belt? Did it work out okay? Any real difference between this setup and using a dedicated weighted dip/pullup belt?

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:08 pm

alek wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:16 pm Has anyone had any experience with one of these for turning your regular belt into a weighted dip/pullup belt?

If so, did it have any negative effects on your belt? Did it work out okay? Any real difference between this setup and using a dedicated weighted dip/pullup belt?
Brute Belt is $39.99, comfortable af, and has loops in several positions/
Really great piece of gear.

https://www.brutebelt.com/products/brute-belt

alek

Post by alek » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:53 am

Wilhelm wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:08 pm
alek wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:16 pm Has anyone had any experience with one of these for turning your regular belt into a weighted dip/pullup belt?

Thanks! I’ll look into it.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:02 am

alek wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:53 am
Wilhelm wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:08 pm

Thanks! I’ll look into it.
Probably should have mentioned this in my 1st post, but I've had mine for over two years now.
No issues wear wise. (or other)
They say it's rated for 270lbs.
I have 70 on it right now, and have used 80.

alek

Post by alek » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:41 am

@Wilhelm, I'm going to give the pioneer loop a try. I'll be schlepping it back and forth with me to the gym in my bag, and there are two things that I like about it's concept: 1) I don't need a separate belt, and 2) it's relatively small size hopefully won't take up too much room in my bag.

I'll give it a go and give a rating/review/whatever.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:40 am

I have this. Works great. Like it.

dw

Post by dw » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:30 pm

I was going to start a new thread for this but I'll slide it in here first.

I have an Inzer Forever belt that I've had for over 10 years. At certain body weights or just randomly if it's not set quite right it cuts into the side of my pelvis pretty hard. Not enough to stop me if I were doing something like a 5 rep set but enough to cause me to give up on a high rep AMRAP. And enough to leave welts.

Is this normal for lifting belts or is it a problem with Inzer belts? I have read the criticisms about the Inzer design preventing true break-in, so I'm thinking perhaps the latter.

If so, belt recommendations? I'll also probably get a dip attachment if that matters.