Why Antique York Racks Are Stupid

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Why Antique York Racks Are Stupid

Post by mgil » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:09 pm

Dunno what @mouse would design, but if I was doing a simple yet flexible design, it would be something like this:

https://raecrowther.com/product/pro-gold-half-rack/

Built from 7ga steel, tons of accessories available, good hole spacing, designed by one of the best in the industry.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:23 pm

Rae Crowter makes a fine rack. I think Cody was/is a big fan of them

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:25 pm

Hardartery wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:12 pm
Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:54 pm
Id have to try the wood bench before judging it. I get it. It looks like it'd hurt. do you think its worse than most vinyl benches?

My shoulders are bad. No injuries ever, but they've always been tightened I think Im t rex between the shoulders and elbows?

It took me several months of stretching to be able to high bar squat at all. I can now after a few minutes of stretching.

For low bar placement they say to reach behind and feel for that scapula thingie. I can't even reaching. Too much pec and shoulder muscle meat.

The narrowest high bar squat grip I can get is index fingers on the power rings, and it wasn't easy
https://www.americanfitness.net/images/ ... 15_a_X.jpg

I don't know if the image link will work or not, but this is the style rack I actually like. Or the half-rack dealio like the one Wilhelm uses. But every one is a little different.
When I was younger, nno flexibility issues in the shoulders. I'm 50 next year, and they just aren't cooperative anymore. I've never had an injury that I am aware of with either shoulder, but the left one in particular just isn't right anymore. Getting old is great.
That one looks too high to deadlift inside.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:54 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:25 pm
Hardartery wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:12 pm
Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:54 pm
Id have to try the wood bench before judging it. I get it. It looks like it'd hurt. do you think its worse than most vinyl benches?

My shoulders are bad. No injuries ever, but they've always been tightened I think Im t rex between the shoulders and elbows?

It took me several months of stretching to be able to high bar squat at all. I can now after a few minutes of stretching.

For low bar placement they say to reach behind and feel for that scapula thingie. I can't even reaching. Too much pec and shoulder muscle meat.

The narrowest high bar squat grip I can get is index fingers on the power rings, and it wasn't easy
https://www.americanfitness.net/images/ ... 15_a_X.jpg

I don't know if the image link will work or not, but this is the style rack I actually like. Or the half-rack dealio like the one Wilhelm uses. But every one is a little different.
When I was younger, nno flexibility issues in the shoulders. I'm 50 next year, and they just aren't cooperative anymore. I've never had an injury that I am aware of with either shoulder, but the left one in particular just isn't right anymore. Getting old is great.
That one looks too high to deadlift inside.
I don't actually know, I just pulled it from an image search for an "Open rack", and was delighted get something other than just pics of topless women. That's just the gerneral idea of the style I prefer for full racks, and I never pull insode a rack anyways so that wouldn't bother me.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:54 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:09 pm Dunno what @mouse would design, but if I was doing a simple yet flexible design, it would be something like this:

Built from 7ga steel, tons of accessories available, good hole spacing, designed by one of the best in the industry.
That is a nice rack.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:44 pm

Hardartery wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:54 pm
mgil wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:09 pm Dunno what @mouse would design, but if I was doing a simple yet flexible design, it would be something like this:

That is a nice rack.
Thanks! Cheers!

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:44 pm

I walked in to nothing and I'd design nothing because there's plenty of decent stuff out there that's already available for decent prices.

I've been training on the same SML2 since pretty much the start... arguably if I had a higher ceiling I could comfortably get by with just a yoke. My training ideology doesn't really necessitate a bunch of frills in a rack and I just make do with what I have.

Sometimes I think a full rack would be nice but I more often than not find myself pining over the type of outbuilding I'd like to be able to put my shit in versus expanding the shit I have...

Edit: the Rip Rack is a piece of shit

Dale

Post by Dale » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:44 pm

A 22” depth would seem cavernous to me, as my
York isometric rack is only 14”deep.

In the 1980’s I enlarged the original 3’ X 4’ 1.5” platform to
4’X 5’. The modification made the rack more practical for benching and outside the rack standing presses.Being bolted to a heavy platform along with my body weight and whatever is on the bar makes the rack very stable.

I learned to squat , deadlift and bench within this rack. At 5’10” 220 lbs I never felt I needed more.

I envy younger athletes for having many options to support their lifting efforts. But being 72 I will keep my old school rack possibly paining it red for the cool factor!

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:48 am

Dale wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:44 pm A 22” depth would seem cavernous to me, as my
York isometric rack is only 14”deep.

In the 1980’s I enlarged the original 3’ X 4’ 1.5” platform to
4’X 5’. The modification made the rack more practical for benching and outside the rack standing presses.Being bolted to a heavy platform along with my body weight and whatever is on the bar makes the rack very stable.

I learned to squat , deadlift and bench within this rack. At 5’10” 220 lbs I never felt I needed more.

I envy younger athletes for having many options to support their lifting efforts. But being 72 I will keep my old school rack possibly paining it red for the cool factor!
pictures?

Do you have the one that bolts to the wall? or the stand-alone version.

Also, whats the outside width dimension? (out-to-out on the uprights?)

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:20 am

Dale wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:44 pm I envy younger athletes for having many options to support their lifting efforts.
This is really the best/worst part of being a home gymer right now. So many options that can be easily ordered online and shipped to your door for a reasonable price. It's funny to think that a mere 15 years ago Rogue didn't even exist and the home market was a totally different place.
mouse wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:44 pm pining over the type of outbuilding I'd like to be able to put my shit in versus expanding the shit I have...
Why not both?

I really want to change the title of this thread to "Why Rip Racks Are Stupid." Leave the classic York racks alone.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:57 am

murphyreedus wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:20 am
Why not both?
Absolutely not an exaggeration, one time I had a dream that I was in a gun shop, and in the dream I didn't actually look at anything because I knew I wouldn't have the money...

That how accustomed I've become to having a $0 budget.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:57 am

murphyreedus wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:20 am
Dale wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:44 pm I envy younger athletes for having many options to support their lifting efforts.
This is really the best/worst part of being a home gymer right now. So many options that can be easily ordered online and shipped to your door for a reasonable price. It's funny to think that a mere 15 years ago Rogue didn't even exist and the home market was a totally different place.
mouse wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:44 pm pining over the type of outbuilding I'd like to be able to put my shit in versus expanding the shit I have...
Why not both?

I really want to change the title of this thread to "Why Rip Racks Are Stupid." Leave the classic York racks alone.
I bought my power rack well before CrossFit/rogue, etc. back in the day of weider protein powder, beige plastic weights, and cheap benches with attached uprights.

When I bought my rack anyone I knew thought I was nuts, and they didn’t understand it. I probably got the first kettlebell in Canada that day too. Store was using it for a door stop. I asked how much and they just gave it to me.

Sometimes there’s too much choice.

Dale

Post by Dale » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:15 am

Check page 21 of this thread. The old York add for their isometric racks has the dimensions. I have the portable version. The C channel used are 3” so the outside measurement is 47”. A 6’ bar would work if space is a concern.
The rails could be bolted wider or narrower as desired without much effort.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:40 am

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:57 am I bought my power rack well before CrossFit/rogue, etc. back in the day of weider protein powder, beige plastic weights, and cheap benches with attached uprights.

When I bought my rack anyone I knew thought I was nuts, and they didn’t understand it. I probably got the first kettlebell in Canada that day too. Store was using it for a door stop. I asked how much and they just gave it to me.

I grew up with the Orbatron weights, hollow bars, and rickety bench. I remember getting pinned under like 100# and having to do the roll of shame because I was a dumb kid and benching alone at home. My dad still had that set and weights until a few years ago when I found him a real power rack, flat bench, and Olympic weight set. Now he's added that, a set of dumbbells, and a lat pulldown, and keeps telling me he doesn't "need" any more equipment. I think he just doesn't know he needs it.

When I first started my home gym I would have been thrilled to find a cheap Rip rack on the used market. My only real problems with them are that they're priced at a premium for a non-premium product, that TSS wouldn't be my first choice for any product (maybe they've improved, but a few years ago they were known on equipment forums to have questionable QC and CS), and that the rack is directly associated with a brand that I no longer have a desire to associate with. If the Rip rack didn't exist and Rogue pushed out a "retro rack" of the same design, we probably would have identified it as the niche product that it is and not have a 20+ page discussion on it.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:20 pm

So, accidentally web browsing to TSS and then stumbling upon the rip rack, it’s now even more expensive. 1500 bucks! Lord Jesus.

Was on the fence @1400. Forget it now.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:44 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:20 pm So, accidentally web browsing to TSS and then stumbling upon the rip rack, it’s now even more expensive. 1500 bucks! Lord Jesus.

If you want something “old school” and kinda grungy/hardcore, TSS still sells their rack made out of signpost material:

https://texasstrengthsystems.com/collec ... power-rack

Plus… it’s 2.25” square tubing with 1” hole spacing.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:22 pm

mgil wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:44 pm
Oldandfat wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:20 pm So, accidentally web browsing to TSS and then stumbling upon the rip rack, it’s now even more expensive. 1500 bucks! Lord Jesus.

If you want something “old school” and kinda grungy/hardcore, TSS still sells their rack made out of signpost material:

https://texasstrengthsystems.com/collec ... power-rack

Plus… it’s 2.25” square tubing with 1” hole spacing.
So then it makes absolutely zero sense,for the rip rack. You can get plate storage for the same price. And gusseted bracing for side to,side stability.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:24 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:40 am
Oldandfat wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:57 am I bought my power rack well before CrossFit/rogue, etc. back in the day of weider protein powder, beige plastic weights, and cheap benches with attached uprights.

I grew up with the Orbatron weights, hollow bars, and rickety bench. I remember getting pinned under like 100# and having to do the roll of shame because I was a dumb kid and benching alone at home. My dad still had that set and weights until a few years ago when I found him a real power rack, flat bench, and Olympic weight set. Now he's added that, a set of dumbbells, and a lat pulldown, and keeps telling me he doesn't "need" any more equipment. I think he just doesn't know he needs it.

When I first started my home gym I would have been thrilled to find a cheap Rip rack on the used market. My only real problems with them are that they're priced at a premium for a non-premium product, that TSS wouldn't be my first choice for any product (maybe they've improved, but a few years ago they were known on equipment forums to have questionable QC and CS), and that the rack is directly associated with a brand that I no longer have a desire to associate with. If the Rip rack didn't exist and Rogue pushed out a "retro rack" of the same design, we probably would have identified it as the niche product that it is and not have a 20+ page discussion on it.
What was the issue with Texas strength? I was interested at one point in the crepinsek power rack. It seems he’s out of business??

Have you heard of edge fitness power racks?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:40 pm

Did Edge make power racks? His other stuff is good quality. I have an Edge Fitness SSB. I’d imagine he could do one-offs like the guy at Black Widow does/did.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:54 pm

mgil wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:40 pm Did Edge make power racks? His other stuff is good quality. I have an Edge Fitness SSB. I’d imagine he could do one-offs like the guy at Black Widow does/did.
Apparently edge makes them, but doesn’t advertise them. Custom order. I know he’s a big fan of 2 x 2 racks. I am too. You can have a 44 inside and 48 outside dimensions. Perfect!

He also used to make triple pipe safeties. No longer on the web site