Why Antique York Racks Are Stupid

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Oldandfat

Re: Why Antique York Racks Are Stupid

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:15 am

mgil wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:10 am If you’re paying $1500 for a Rip rack and a wooden bench, you deserve the insults.

The only thing worth money in that lineup is the barbell selection, and you can get them from Buddy Capps for less money with more options without the “SS” label in the endcap.
Agreed. The RR is over priced. Can’t comment about the bench. It appears over priced and I don’t get it being made from wood. I’d honestly have to try it before I made a comment about it. Who knows if I’m ever traveling somewhere that has a SS gym I may book a session and try it out.

Buddy makes nice bars. I’m eyeing up his,squat bar.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:24 am

@Oldandfat, that bench is also only 10” wide. Even though Rip (correctly) mentions that a USAPL legal bench is 12” wide in his book, they decided to make a 10” wide butcher block on top of angle iron for a bench. It’s also slippery. @mbasic pointed out a while back some posts where gym owners were stretching bands lengthwise along the bench to keep people from slipping.

Being specific on the barbells, Buddy Capps offers an All American Barbell line that replicated the specs of the SS lineup for less money. He makes good stuff.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:29 am

Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:11 am
SpoilerShow
mbasic wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:50 am The 4" wide uprights can be a problem.
I don't know what the exact out to out dimesion is, but its one or other:
- you are either running out of room for your hands (lowbar squat + long arms or inflexi-shoulders/elbows),
OR
- the plates and/or sleeve collars will hit the uprights. You are re-racking into the uprights, not a bladed J-cup or j-hook that juts out a bit from the upright. Or, as Hardartery explains, with only a 24" window, you better setup exactly center front-to-back AND side-to-side (a plate is 18" dia). Plates may hit uprights, etc.

It wobbles like a mofo when you rerack weights. Even light weights.
In videos of people doing chinups .... it starts to wobble.

Screwing and unscrewing the
J-hooks
Bolts is a pain.
Those are every bit of stupid as:

Most all racks now have the fine adjustment hole spacing thru the bench press zone/area.
That's nice to find the exact spot when you are self-performing the bench-press liftoff ...and you can dial in the safeties fairly exact also.
For squats, OHP, rack pulls, etc .... fine adjustment spacing isn't that big of a deal; bench it can be.
"Shim your bench up/down" ... that sux, benching in a power-rack requires a (shitty) portable bench already.
With a 1-1/2" holes (for an 1-1/4" pin) spaced out every so often .... there's no way around this **.
Your spacing can only be so tight.

For bench, the rack does not come with the platform area in front of the rack.
For bench press (where you could make use of the safeties) you are going to have to build-out the deck area infront the rack
so the legs of your bench are at the right elevation. Or use a plate or plinth to shim up the bench a few inches ....
....but then your feet?

For deadlift ... For most normal racks, out of the box, I could deadlift inside of.
Say you were short on room in your garage or something
The integral platform inside of the Rip rack, you would have to (again) buildup up the platform on either side to deadlift inside of it.
I guess most people would do the 8' wide x 4' deep buildout in front of the rack because with the Rip rack you are forced into that
.... but some people do deadlift inside their racks.

It comes fully welded I think, or at least in large units.
Good luck moving it around (old house to new house; shipping costs; etc)

From an Olympic Weightlifting point of view, the Rip rack looks pretty beefy ....so what comes to mind is jerk supports or jerk recoveries.... but the way that internal platform is, I think one would almost have to build up (floor risers) in front of, AND behind .... IOW: I don't think you'd have the room to split front to back in there.

=============

** lolz, could do the staggered holes like a Pioneer belt, but the 4" channel would complicated that (maybe). IDK.
Can’t see how the 4” uprights are a problem?

Rip,rack (RR) is 41” inside aka Sorinex, rep. No one complains. RR has a 49” outside aka rogue and no one complains actually some people do) but I suppose the RR has the “worst of both worlds”.

Personally I have the worst shoulders ever. I’d bet worse than anyones here. I have, and can squat in a body solid rack (40” wide inside”. It can be done but I’m right at the “crush my pinkies “. It’s nerve racking. I need a wide grip for even high bar squats. I am unable to low bar,due to,shoulder construction.

My rack is 2 x 2 and has an inside width of 44-1/2”, that results in an outside width of 48-1/2” outside.

It’s the best of everything. I have no idea why most racks aren’t built from 11g 2 x 2 tubing? There’s a 2 x 2 rack at west side. I’m sure those guys lift way more than I ever will.
lol wut?

you literally contradict yourself here ^ regarding the inside-width-crushing-pinkies-thing

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:31 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:29 am
Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:11 am
SpoilerShow
mbasic wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:50 am The 4" wide uprights can be a problem.
I don't know what the exact out to out dimesion is, but its one or other:
- you are either running out of room for your hands (lowbar squat + long arms or inflexi-shoulders/elbows),
OR
- the plates and/or sleeve collars will hit the uprights. You are re-racking into the uprights, not a bladed J-cup or j-hook that juts out a bit from the upright. Or, as Hardartery explains, with only a 24" window, you better setup exactly center front-to-back AND side-to-side (a plate is 18" dia). Plates may hit uprights, etc.

It wobbles like a mofo when you rerack weights. Even light weights.
In videos of people doing chinups .... it starts to wobble.

Screwing and unscrewing the
J-hooks
Bolts is a pain.
Those are every bit of stupid as:

Most all racks now have the fine adjustment hole spacing thru the bench press zone/area.
That's nice to find the exact spot when you are self-performing the bench-press liftoff ...and you can dial in the safeties fairly exact also.
For squats, OHP, rack pulls, etc .... fine adjustment spacing isn't that big of a deal; bench it can be.
"Shim your bench up/down" ... that sux, benching in a power-rack requires a (shitty) portable bench already.
With a 1-1/2" holes (for an 1-1/4" pin) spaced out every so often .... there's no way around this **.
Your spacing can only be so tight.

For bench, the rack does not come with the platform area in front of the rack.
For bench press (where you could make use of the safeties) you are going to have to build-out the deck area infront the rack
so the legs of your bench are at the right elevation. Or use a plate or plinth to shim up the bench a few inches ....
....but then your feet?

For deadlift ... For most normal racks, out of the box, I could deadlift inside of.
Say you were short on room in your garage or something
The integral platform inside of the Rip rack, you would have to (again) buildup up the platform on either side to deadlift inside of it.
I guess most people would do the 8' wide x 4' deep buildout in front of the rack because with the Rip rack you are forced into that
.... but some people do deadlift inside their racks.

It comes fully welded I think, or at least in large units.
Good luck moving it around (old house to new house; shipping costs; etc)

From an Olympic Weightlifting point of view, the Rip rack looks pretty beefy ....so what comes to mind is jerk supports or jerk recoveries.... but the way that internal platform is, I think one would almost have to build up (floor risers) in front of, AND behind .... IOW: I don't think you'd have the room to split front to back in there.

=============

** lolz, could do the staggered holes like a Pioneer belt, but the 4" channel would complicated that (maybe). IDK.
Can’t see how the 4” uprights are a problem?

Rip,rack (RR) is 41” inside aka Sorinex, rep. No one complains. RR has a 49” outside aka rogue and no one complains actually some people do) but I suppose the RR has the “worst of both worlds”.

Personally I have the worst shoulders ever. I’d bet worse than anyones here. I have, and can squat in a body solid rack (40” wide inside”. It can be done but I’m right at the “crush my pinkies “. It’s nerve racking. I need a wide grip for even high bar squats. I am unable to low bar,due to,shoulder construction.

My rack is 2 x 2 and has an inside width of 44-1/2”, that results in an outside width of 48-1/2” outside.

It’s the best of everything. I have no idea why most racks aren’t built from 11g 2 x 2 tubing? There’s a 2 x 2 rack at west side. I’m sure those guys lift way more than I ever will.
lol wut?

you literally contradict yourself here ^ regarding the inside-width-crushing-pinkies-thing
I indicated that I “have” squatted in a 40” wide rack. I would never buy one but if it’s what’s available I make do. Didn’t contradict myself. Sometimes hard to get across in print

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:34 am

mgil wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:24 am @Oldandfat, that bench is also only 10” wide. Even though Rip (correctly) mentions that a USAPL legal bench is 12” wide in his book, they decided to make a 10” wide butcher block on top of angle iron for a bench. It’s also slippery. @mbasic pointed out a while back some posts where gym owners were stretching bands lengthwise along the bench to keep people from slipping.

Being specific on the barbells, Buddy Capps offers an All American Barbell line that replicated the specs of the SS lineup for less money. He makes good stuff.
Again, I’d have to try the bench before I made judgement. My bench is also 12” and it has a rubberized grip pad on it so I get the slippe@Oldandfat
But again I’d have,to,try the wood. It’s supposedly not slippery. If it is MOST,benches,are slippery with vynal. Lots of people use bands on benches. It’s not exclusive to the RB (@Oldandfat

It also doubles as a cutting board so ther@Oldandfat

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:03 am

Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:12 am It’s over priced for what it is
I am so utterly confused as to why you are seem to be on the defense for this thing.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:14 am

mouse wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:03 am
I am so utterly confused as to why you are seem to be on the defense for this thing.
Not really defending it. Just wanted to know what’s so bad about it (other than price, and not taking into consideration advanced functionality) from a safety or structural view point.

All the negatives are present in all the other products out there (aside from “wobble”)

In all honesty I’d never buy it unless I saw a similar one for a few hundred bucks on kijij or something.

But it’s an old design and I’m old. I felt it was being picked on so I needed to step up and protect our own.

As for the bench I’d have to try it. I don’t get it, it seems like it’s be uncomfortable and slippy slide but I carry some cupboard liner stuff from a dollar store in my gym bag because ALL benches (except mine at home) are slimy slide.

You can’t use slippy slide as a negative because your bench is slippy slide unless you have mine. Elite,fts is the only company at the time that offered a rubberized “grip” option for bench upholstery. It’s a shame. Cupboard is ghetto.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:18 am

I’m confused why you are picking on it? We’re you always a power rack bully? Laughing at the other kids power racks?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:25 am

Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:18 am
I’m confused why you are picking on it? We’re you always a power rack bully? Laughing at the other kids power racks?
It is an inferior product sold for a ridiculous price being billed as the best product on the market.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:51 am

Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:52 am
I thought the whole point of the rip rack platform was that it didn’t need to be bolted down? As for “custom” platform isn’t the rip rack platform designed to accommodate a platform thickness of 3” (3 sheets of ply and “nice” wood or rubber top)? A trip to Home Depot and tractor supply, and a few hours and we’re good to go.

Rip rack is now 30” deep.

24” isn’t an issue. My current rack is 22” deep. Plenty of room for a walk out. I bench and squat inside 22” with no issues. My wife is starting out and she was hitting the rear uprights on her walkout but even she is now ok with the 22” depth.

The original rip rack is 19” deep. Now that may or may not be an issue. Never used a rack that shallow so I can’t say.
24" is not enough space, depth wise, for stability of the rack or moving inside of it. Granted, even though I do not consider myself gigantic by any means, many are much smaller than I am. I do not know your dimensions, but I know at 6'-0 and in the 280 lbs range when trying to use one of that style of rack at a gym it was claustrophobic at best. My feet frequently lipped off the edge of the platform - the pick for a squat involved my toes at a minimum hanging off the front edge of that stupid platform which is very, very uncomfortable. If I wanted to train wide stance for a taining cycle - good luck with that rack. If you fail a squat and lose the bar backwards, you need sea legs while that rack bounces around. If you lose a press forward, hopefully you don't hit anything forward with the rocking rack. The only thing that works in it is isometric stuff, because your feet are holding the rack down and you don't really need any lateral movement. I abandoned ship on trying chinups, yikes. If you experiment with a real rack, you won't be able to go back to that one. Seriously. I would absolutely work off of squat stands in a heartbeat rather than that rack. Tha floor in it is absolutely the worst part of the whole thing though. Why would anyone want to put down 3 layers of plywood AND rubber matting just because you paid too much for a crap design?
The place that had the Body Solid rack in the York style replaced it with a large open design rack. Hooks were out almost at the collars on a standard bar, enough room for my hands outside the hooks against the collars on a squat bar. Night and day. eal safeties (Square tubing with a strip of something black on top to avoid bar damage - it didn't seem like rubber or plastic exactly - with solid metal bars at the ends that slotted into the uprights and couldn't just pop out. Nothing could rock that rack, there was nothing to hit overhead, I could use any stance I wanted, it was impossible to hurt the safeties, it was magic. If you have space, get the big footprint style rack, it's safer and way more comfortable to use. I wouldn't use that Rip thing if HE paid ME $2k.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:05 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:15 am
mgil wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:10 am If you’re paying $1500 for a Rip rack and a wooden bench, you deserve the insults.

The only thing worth money in that lineup is the barbell selection, and you can get them from Buddy Capps for less money with more options without the “SS” label in the endcap.
Agreed. The RR is over priced. Can’t comment about the bench. It appears over priced and I don’t get it being made from wood. I’d honestly have to try it before I made a comment about it. Who knows if I’m ever traveling somewhere that has a SS gym I may book a session and try it out.

A wood bench, of any width, is stupid. It's asking for problems. The moment your elbows drop below the top of that bench height you are into scapular impingement and pain is coming - either during or after the lift, or both. If you think vinyl over padding is slippery, you're dancing on black ice on wood. And if you think it won't get wiggly and iffy with use, LOL. Seriously everything that CAN be wrong with a rack is wrong with that one.

On the other hand, a squat bar is fantastic. The wider grip it allows is noce, I haven't looked at the particular one Capps sells but theyare typically a thicker diameter which is also more comfortable and they have less flex. Less flex is more better, especially for us old guys. I don't know specifiaclly how bad your shoulders are, but I know that it takes at least 10 minutes of stretching and 3 sets of ascending weight and gradually descending bar before I can get it down to my delts on squats.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:21 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:14 am Not really defending it.
Three sentences later...
Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:14 am But it’s an old design and I’m old. I felt it was being picked on so I needed to step up and protect our own.
Lolz
Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:14 am Just wanted to know what’s so bad about it (other than price, and not taking into consideration advanced functionality) from a safety or structural view point.
You can't want to know what's so bad, but then discount and discard the things we all said make it bad lol
Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:18 am I’m confused why you are picking on it? We’re you always a power rack bully? Laughing at the other kids power racks?
Not gonna lie I half expected you to say "What's your solution?" or ask why I haven't designed a rack or something lol

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:44 pm

mouse wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:21 pm
Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:14 am Not really defending it.
Three sentences later...
Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:14 am But it’s an old design and I’m old. I felt it was being picked on so I needed to step up and protect our own.
Lolz
Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:14 am Just wanted to know what’s so bad about it (other than price, and not taking into consideration advanced functionality) from a safety or structural view point.
You can't want to know what's so bad, but then discount and discard the things we all said make it bad lol
Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:18 am I’m confused why you are picking on it? We’re you always a power rack bully? Laughing at the other kids power racks?
Not gonna lie I half expected you to say "What's your solution?" or ask why I haven't designed a rack or something lol
For reals..........

You are the supreme being you need to design the best power rack ever. (even better than the RR) what would you come up with? tubing size, westside or not, dimensions, bolt down, legend style, etc.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:49 pm

Hardartery wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:51 am
Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:52 am
I thought the whole point of the rip rack platform was that it didn’t need to be bolted down? As for “custom” platform isn’t the rip rack platform designed to accommodate a platform thickness of 3” (3 sheets of ply and “nice” wood or rubber top)? A trip to Home Depot and tractor supply, and a few hours and we’re good to go.

Rip rack is now 30” deep.

24” isn’t an issue. My current rack is 22” deep. Plenty of room for a walk out. I bench and squat inside 22” with no issues. My wife is starting out and she was hitting the rear uprights on her walkout but even she is now ok with the 22” depth.

The original rip rack is 19” deep. Now that may or may not be an issue. Never used a rack that shallow so I can’t say.
24" is not enough space, depth wise, for stability of the rack or moving inside of it. Granted, even though I do not consider myself gigantic by any means, many are much smaller than I am. I do not know your dimensions, but I know at 6'-0 and in the 280 lbs range when trying to use one of that style of rack at a gym it was claustrophobic at best. My feet frequently lipped off the edge of the platform - the pick for a squat involved my toes at a minimum hanging off the front edge of that stupid platform which is very, very uncomfortable. If I wanted to train wide stance for a taining cycle - good luck with that rack. If you fail a squat and lose the bar backwards, you need sea legs while that rack bounces around. If you lose a press forward, hopefully you don't hit anything forward with the rocking rack. The only thing that works in it is isometric stuff, because your feet are holding the rack down and you don't really need any lateral movement. I abandoned ship on trying chinups, yikes. If you experiment with a real rack, you won't be able to go back to that one. Seriously. I would absolutely work off of squat stands in a heartbeat rather than that rack. Tha floor in it is absolutely the worst part of the whole thing though. Why would anyone want to put down 3 layers of plywood AND rubber matting just because you paid too much for a crap design?
The place that had the Body Solid rack in the York style replaced it with a large open design rack. Hooks were out almost at the collars on a standard bar, enough room for my hands outside the hooks against the collars on a squat bar. Night and day. eal safeties (Square tubing with a strip of something black on top to avoid bar damage - it didn't seem like rubber or plastic exactly - with solid metal bars at the ends that slotted into the uprights and couldn't just pop out. Nothing could rock that rack, there was nothing to hit overhead, I could use any stance I wanted, it was impossible to hurt the safeties, it was magic. If you have space, get the big footprint style rack, it's safer and way more comfortable to use. I wouldn't use that Rip thing if HE paid ME $2k.
265 @5-10. Never had an issue in my 22" deep rack. 26 years later and still no issue. If there was no internetId have no idea it was an issue.

Im building some kind of platform so the platform wouldn't be an issue.

Ive never needed a sumo rack though its likely by my choice.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:50 pm

Lol, @mouse walked into that one, though I honestly have no doubt that he probably could build a much better rack by hand.

If the SS (heh) rack didn't cost such an absurd amount, more people (i.e., those who aren't enamored with the idea of that crusty font on a wooden bench) might consider it a viable purchase.

I could've easily wound up with one (or a similar C-channel deal) when I was planning out my panic purchases. But I forgot how much it cost in the midst of all the jokes I'd read in the months before. I certainly didn't recall them pricing the thing over a thousand dollars. That shit was funnier than the TUBOW April Fool's joke.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:54 pm

Hardartery wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:05 pm
Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:15 am

A wood bench, of any width, is stupid. It's asking for problems. The moment your elbows drop below the top of that bench height you are into scapular impingement and pain is coming - either during or after the lift, or both. If you think vinyl over padding is slippery, you're dancing on black ice on wood. And if you think it won't get wiggly and iffy with use, LOL. Seriously everything that CAN be wrong with a rack is wrong with that one.

On the other hand, a squat bar is fantastic. The wider grip it allows is noce, I haven't looked at the particular one Capps sells but theyare typically a thicker diameter which is also more comfortable and they have less flex. Less flex is more better, especially for us old guys. I don't know specifiaclly how bad your shoulders are, but I know that it takes at least 10 minutes of stretching and 3 sets of ascending weight and gradually descending bar before I can get it down to my delts on squats.
Id have to try the wood bench before judging it. I get it. It looks like it'd hurt. do you think its worse than most vinyl benches?

My shoulders are bad. No injuries ever, but they've always been tightened I think Im t rex between the shoulders and elbows?

It took me several months of stretching to be able to high bar squat at all. I can now after a few minutes of stretching.

For low bar placement they say to reach behind and feel for that scapula thingie. I can't even reaching. Too much pec and shoulder muscle meat.

The narrowest high bar squat grip I can get is index fingers on the power rings, and it wasn't easy

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:01 pm

Renascent wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:50 pm Lol, @mouse walked into that one, though I honestly have no doubt that he probably could build a much better rack by hand.

If the SS (heh) rack didn't cost such an absurd amount, more people (i.e., those who aren't enamored with the idea of that crusty font on a wooden bench) might consider it a viable purchase.

I could've easily wound up with one (or a similar C-channel deal) when I was planning out my panic purchases. But I forgot how much it cost in the midst of all the jokes I'd read in the months before. I certainly didn't recall them pricing the thing over a thousand dollars. That shit was funnier than the TUBOW April Fool's joke.

I usually ask anyone the same questions no matter. We all like to complain sp Im always curious to peoples solutions. More often than not, people only have an opinion.

The RR is not as good as rip makes it out to be, but I think its not as bad either, with price being absurd. My rack has no fancy attachments and is simply metal designed to keep me from dying which I think the RR will also do.

Maybe its an age thing, and you youngins will get here too, but everything else aside I just think the RR looks cool. That's all.

Would I buy one brand new? Nope. Not a chance.

For the record my perfect rack would be spec'd like a legend 3133, except sumo, and 2 x 2 and 5/8 pins @2" with west side spacing.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:32 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:01 pm
Renascent wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:50 pm Lol, @mouse walked into that one, though I honestly have no doubt that he probably could build a much better rack by hand.

I usually ask anyone the same questions no matter. We all like to complain sp Im always curious to peoples solutions. More often than not, people only have an opinion.

The RR is not as good as rip makes it out to be, but I think its not as bad either, with price being absurd. My rack has no fancy attachments and is simply metal designed to keep me from dying which I think the RR will also do.

Maybe its an age thing, and you youngins will get here too, but everything else aside I just think the RR looks cool. That's all.

For the record my perfect rack would be spec'd like a legend 3133, except sumo, and 2 x 2 and 5/8 pins @2" with west side spacing.
I'm just teasing, dude.

As for the rack, I'd say it might be better (in some ways) than the Precor commercial rack I spent four years working with. It rocked, creaked, had no pullup bars or Westside spacing, and it belonged to someone else. But there's no way in hell I could pay that what they're charging for the SS kit and caboodle unless I had acolyte friends who'd be really impressed that I bought Rip's Beemer branded equipment.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:12 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:54 pm
Id have to try the wood bench before judging it. I get it. It looks like it'd hurt. do you think its worse than most vinyl benches?

My shoulders are bad. No injuries ever, but they've always been tightened I think Im t rex between the shoulders and elbows?

It took me several months of stretching to be able to high bar squat at all. I can now after a few minutes of stretching.

For low bar placement they say to reach behind and feel for that scapula thingie. I can't even reaching. Too much pec and shoulder muscle meat.

The narrowest high bar squat grip I can get is index fingers on the power rings, and it wasn't easy
https://www.americanfitness.net/images/ ... 15_a_X.jpg

I don't know if the image link will work or not, but this is the style rack I actually like. Or the half-rack dealio like the one Wilhelm uses. But every one is a little different.
When I was younger, nno flexibility issues in the shoulders. I'm 50 next year, and they just aren't cooperative anymore. I've never had an injury that I am aware of with either shoulder, but the left one in particular just isn't right anymore. Getting old is great.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:43 pm

Renascent wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:32 pm
Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:01 pm

I'm just teasing, dude.

As for the rack, I'd say it might be better (in some ways) than the Precor commercial rack I spent four years working with. It rocked, creaked, had no pullup bars or Westside spacing, and it belonged to someone else. But there's no way in hell I could pay that what they're charging for the SS kit and caboodle unless I had acolyte friends who'd be really impressed that I bought Rip's Beemer branded equipment.
It’s all good my man. I knew you’re teasing.