Why Antique York Racks Are Stupid

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

murphyreedus

Re: Why Antique York Racks Are Stupid

Post by murphyreedus » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:20 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:24 pm
What was the issue with Texas strength?
Just search the bodybuilding.com equipment forum for Texas Strength Systems, should be one of the top results. QC and CS issues. That was a while ago, and I have no idea what their quality is like these days, but unless I could inspect the rack in person first they wouldn't be on my list.

For the record, the only power rack I've ever purchased new was a Titan T3 back in 2015 or thereabout. I've been very fortunate with what I've found on the used market, and there's nothing out there that would really be an upgrade to the 2 racks I have now. If I had to start over with my gym and buy a new rack I'd probably get a 30" depth Rogue R3.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:49 am

Oldandfat wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:22 pm
mgil wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:44 pm
Oldandfat wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:20 pm So, accidentally web browsing to TSS and then stumbling upon the rip rack, it’s now even more expensive. 1500 bucks! Lord Jesus.

Was on the fence @1400. Forget it now.
If you want something “old school” and kinda grungy/hardcore, TSS still sells their rack made out of signpost material:

https://texasstrengthsystems.com/collec ... power-rack

Plus… it’s 2.25” square tubing with 1” hole spacing.
So then it makes absolutely zero sense,for the rip rack. You can get plate storage for the same price. And gusseted bracing for side to,side stability.
It IS a hand-made product. Which costs money.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:25 am

Allentown wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:49 am
Oldandfat wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:22 pm
mgil wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:44 pm
Oldandfat wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:20 pm So, accidentally web browsing to TSS and then stumbling upon the rip rack, it’s now even more expensive. 1500 bucks! Lord Jesus.

Was on the fence @1400. Forget it now.
If you want something “old school” and kinda grungy/hardcore, TSS still sells their rack made out of signpost material:

https://texasstrengthsystems.com/collec ... power-rack

Plus… it’s 2.25” square tubing with 1” hole spacing.
So then it makes absolutely zero sense,for the rip rack. You can get plate storage for the same price. And gusseted bracing for side to,side stability.
It IS a hand-made product. Which costs money.
Meaning??

Rip rack is handmade. So is all other tss (I’m assuming). Rip rack is not a good value compared to all the other tss stuff

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:47 pm

/jokes

The handmade comment was Rip trying to justify his bullshit prices.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:51 pm

Ahh. Didn’t realize rip said handmade.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:24 am

another beautiful thread.

https://startingstrength.com/resources/ ... ost1852204

Rip mad because software engineer doesn't have at least 3 mobile welders' telephone number scribed down in his rolodex ......to drill extra holes, and ream out the existing holes to accommodate the larger 1-1/4" pins or something....on a $300 piece of shit channel rack that's 40 years old..... and opted to buy a new Rogue one with westside spacing for a grand.

Mad because he gave money to Rogue (I think they posted something BLM or pro-Ukraine or ? a while back).

"tUbUlaR JuNK !!!! "

FredM

Post by FredM » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:19 am

I love the Stockholm response: I know I’m an unworthy idiot. I’m useless like all fake men :(

Also…

https://startingstrength.com/training/t ... ounger-men

This explains so goddamn much.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:35 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:24 am another beautiful thread.

https://startingstrength.com/resources/ ... ost1852204

Rip mad because software engineer doesn't have at least 3 mobile welders' telephone number scribed down in his rolodex ......to drill extra holes, and ream out the existing holes to accommodate the larger 1-1/4" pins or something....on a $300 piece of shit channel rack that's 40 years old..... and opted to buy a new Rogue one with westside spacing for a grand.

Mad because he gave money to Rogue (I think they posted something BLM or pro-Ukraine or ? a while back).

"tUbUlaR JuNK !!!! "
That thread gave me Low T. I hate myself every time I click on those links.

I've not had much luck getting a response out of any of the mobile welders that advertise in my area when asking about little jobs like that. When I do get a response, they want halfway to a tubular junk rack just to fire up their machine. Pass.

Also:

PuddingFace

Post by PuddingFace » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:08 pm

rippletoad obviously doesn't understand the market. As you say @murphyreedus, small jobs like that are likely more of an annoyance for a legit mobile welding service. So you're likely paying 4 hours as a minimum service charge plus fuel, material, etc. So you're at $800 already minimum for piece of lower utility than what rogue offers. Yeah, DIY doesn't work if you can't DIY. Which is even stranger, because rippletoad has to farm out the work too.

And good welders are busy - because they are employed as welders. Maybe in oilfield areas there are a lot of guys who spend a lot of time laid off & have a Hobart engine drive in the back of their truck & advertise as "mobile welding service" but if they don't have welding work, are they the ones you want to do the job? For these type things you really need someone you know that does welding and fab work on the side, or skilled hobbyist or whatever where that isn't their main source of income. And to be able to get the workpiece to them.

dw

Post by dw » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:11 pm

I'm a total cheapskate but Rippetoe's DIY fixation is just stupid. Between the warranties, the compatibility with attachments, the convenient shipping, etc. just buy the damn equipment you want and can afford.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:11 pm

PuddingFace wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:08 pm For these type things you really need someone you know that does welding and fab work on the side, or skilled hobbyist or whatever where that isn't their main source of income.
No, you need pHoNe nUmBeRs

I still have my York portable power rack. I still never use it sometimes.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:57 pm

If you were an (a new) SS forum member , and saw how pig headed rip is about his racks of yester'yore, and laminate wood benches ....why would you trust his opinions on strength training, cardio, diet, or TRT advice?

I mean, it's a basic math decision on the Rogue rack vs. the mobile welder working on junk.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:23 am

Rip wrote:Everybody needs to know a welder, since things with metal need to be done. And I doubt he's embarrassed. But he wasted a bunch of money, and he's done business with Rogue.
Weird comment considering Rogue is still making the Burgener and *checks notes* Rippetoe bar...

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:32 am

mouse wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:23 am
Rip wrote:Everybody needs to know a welder, since things with metal need to be done. And I doubt he's embarrassed. But he wasted a bunch of money, and he's done business with Rogue.
Weird comment considering Rogue is still making the Burgener and *checks notes* Rippetoe bar...
Yeah, but Rogue isn’t cutting Max Nippletits checks like that The Strength Co. dude is with plates, TSS is with shit racks, and Buddy Capps is with barbells. At least in the latter case, you can get the same barbell from Capps as the SS barbell for less money with more features if you’re smart enough to read specs.

To the credit of Max Nippletits, he learned his lesson and when they stood up the SSFG model, he specified equipment that made franchise owners buy equipment that paid royalties back to him. It’s mediocre stuff for the most part, bars excluded.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:41 am

funny video out from SS on what bar to use ?

pic at 2:09

bands to help with slippery-ass wood bench: check.

has to use bolts with built-in-washer to keep the SAFETY pins from falling out: check.

2nd one is funny to think about.

I guess with pin bench press .... well ...(imagining scenario).... might be unsettling, or worse

===========================
mgil wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:32 am To the credit of Max Nippletits, he learned his lesson and when they stood up the SSFG model, he specified equipment that made franchise owners buy equipment that paid royalties back to him. It’s mediocre stuff for the most part, bars excluded.
I mean, this kick-back effect was obvious to me when he started up But now, looking back on it, when the bench and racks were first advertised .... and we the whole internet thought he was crazy about the 10" wide slippery wood bench; and the doubling down on his shitty racks; and now the bar that is not really different that the BudCap version .... it all makes sense now.

Just minor little details that make this SS equipment quasi-unique, for franchisers have to buy in.
The layman (i.e. noob lifter/customer) is going to think these nonsensical details (in some cases, detrimental) have an actual purpose.

PuddingFace

Post by PuddingFace » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:04 am

Why can’t these losers figure out how to cross drill a hole & use a goddamn clevis pin to keep the rod in place?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:00 pm

They can pound sand with that pin press nonsense anyhow.

hector

Post by hector » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:15 pm

mbasic wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:41 am funny video out from SS on what bar to use ?

pic at 2:09

bands to help with slippery-ass wood bench: check.

has to use bolts with built-in-washer to keep the SAFETY pins from falling out: check.

2nd one is funny to think about.

I guess with pin bench press .... well ...(imagining scenario).... might be unsettling, or worse

===========================
mgil wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:32 am To the credit of Max Nippletits, he learned his lesson and when they stood up the SSFG model, he specified equipment that made franchise owners buy equipment that paid royalties back to him. It’s mediocre stuff for the most part, bars excluded.
I mean, this kick-back effect was obvious to me when he started up But now, looking back on it, when the bench and racks were first advertised .... and we the whole internet thought he was crazy about the 10" wide slippery wood bench; and the doubling down on his shitty racks; and now the bar that is not really different that the BudCap version .... it all makes sense now.

Just minor little details that make this SS equipment quasi-unique, for franchisers have to buy in.
The layman (i.e. noob lifter/customer) is going to think these nonsensical details (in some cases, detrimental) have an actual purpose.
Was there ever an actual explanation of why wood was used on the bench?
And if you're operating a gym with no permanent Bench press station, wouldn't you want castor wheels on your benches so you could angle them and move them around easily?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:41 pm

Moving the benches is as close to conditioning as SS gets

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:40 am

hector wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:15 pm Was there ever an actual explanation of why wood was used on the bench?
Paraphrasing here: but the wood bench forces you to setup correctly: tight, shoulder retracted together, centered, "squeeze" something .... because, I guess the implication is, that its so uncomfortable and/or sub optimal to do so otherwise -----> I guess a padded bench you can get away with murder as far as set up. Not a bench-press expert, so I wouldn't know. I just laydown and crank out reps.
And if you're operating a gym with no permanent Bench press station, wouldn't you want castor wheels on your benches so you could angle them and move them around easily?
I like benches with casters too.
But honestly, if you look at a typical SSFG layout .... the gyms are so small and there's floor-obstacles everywhere. Each station has the goofy tee-shaped-footprint-platforms....that are raised. There's plate-trees in all the wrong places. Everything is cramped. You are just going to wind up lifting bench up anyways.

(oh, and: No one is buying these for the non-SSFG market, i.e. a garage gym or anywhere else but a SSFG)