Why Antique York Racks Are Stupid

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Why Antique York Racks Are Stupid

Post by Allentown » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:22 am

lonestar777 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:43 pm These have been on the Austin craigslist for quite a while. I'm not sure if they are actually York branded:
https://austin.craigslist.org/spo/d/dal ... 77814.html

I'm not sure how many pairs of safeties they come with, if any, but they sure have "patina."
Comes with better hooks than the Storting Strenf ones.

clh

Post by clh » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:49 pm

I have the fitness reality rack as well, I love it. When I got it, and again when I moved, I could press on the pull-up bar to move it around without disassembling anything. Lots of weight on the horns and it hardly wobbles. they also make some dip handles that I think are better designed than any others I've seen, bar none.

I also paid like fifty bucks for it and an OPB, so that might have something to do with it.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:16 pm

lonestar777 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:43 pm These have been on the Austin craigslist for quite a while. I'm not sure if they are actually York branded:

I'm not sure how many pairs of safeties they come with, if any, but they sure have "patina."
looks too brown, like actual primer or paint!
note the quasi-J-cups...these rack are Faker than the so called election we just had.

If these had an actual base (I have to build one if I bought this as they sit), it would actually have value at $150....
....but with that stupid ass crossmemeber-rod-thingy, you can't even squat inside this without tripping over shit.

lonestar777

Post by lonestar777 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:37 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:16 pm looks too brown, like actual primer or paint!
note the quasi-J-cups...these rack are Faker than the so called election we just had.

If these had an actual base (I have to build one if I bought this as they sit), it would actually have value at $150....
....but with that stupid ass crossmemeber-rod-thingy, you can't even squat inside this without tripping over shit.
I stared at those pictures for a while trying to figure out what was happening with the cross members. I have wanted a second rack (or maybe yoke or half rack) so I can superset bench press and squats. I love old things. If these didn't have the cross members I'd consider picking one up, but like you said, I don't want to have to build a base.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:08 pm

mbasic wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:16 pm

looks too brown, like actual primer or paint!

They probably had a plywood base. I've used some like that, and they suck. I want the bottom of the rack to be the same height as the floor.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:36 pm

Right, almost every other rack in existence doesn't have a crossmember running between to the two outermost uprights that you pass through....

===============

Another thing thats kinda shitty, the older rip racks (and maybe the York ones, but IDK for sure), they were only 84" or 88" inches tall or something like that on the inside Certain ones at WFAC, I've noticed short women seem to get the bar pretty close to the top on OHP (inside the rack). Other newer ones look taller. The older drawing of the rip rack I have, and I was shocked how short it was.

I'm sure if a tall guy, with long arms, and a moderately wide stance ....would smack the top....say, doing OHP pin presses, which funny enough, is almost a thing exclusive to SS'ers. The BOLTS, and boobie-trap pins really don't extend enough on the outside part of the rack for these.

I'm only 5'10", but I need about 84".
(my standing SVJ reach 7'8" I think)
And my press grip isn't crazy narrow (it's a little wide).

Also consider the retarded "bracketry" on that chin up bar (hanging down IIRC)....

Things like jerk recoveries might be off the table too.
Consider you'd be in lifters, and your feet would come together into an almost narrow standing-stance.

The new TSS racks are listed at 92" overall height IIRC. ...which seems more normal...but You'd lose 2" - 3" with the floor platform..... And then the chin up bar hangs down.

Some other commercial racks aren't much better, I know this because I did pin presses one time and hit the top. Maybe a good load would compress my shoulder girdle a bit, but I did not get past the empty bar (warmup=clank)

But you think SS, being the one that prescribes OHP pin presses, would have this figured out.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:21 am

weird, I thought almost every Rogue "rack" had 1 inch spacing through the bench area for fine-adjustment of the j-hook and safety pins.
I thought even the stands, half racks, and foldaways are this way .... maybe its a Euro thing?

https://startingstrength.com/resources/ ... ost1809594

...all the same I think the guy is doing it wrong if he can't make 1" spacing work and/or 1/8" shims required.
(goes from comfortably-unracking to DOING A PARTIAL REP!!!)...

The SS rack is only 2" spacing throughout the entire upright.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:27 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:21 am weird, I thought almost every Rogue "rack" had 1 inch spacing through the bench area for fine-adjustment of the j-hook and safety pins.
I thought even the stands, half racks, and foldaways are this way .... maybe its a Euro thing?

...all the same I think the guy is doing it wrong if he can't make 1" spacing work and/or 1/8" shims required.

Much ado about nothing.

This is excuse making in disguise. What’s wrong with that partial rep while unracking the bar, likely near where the lifter is their strongest? If this partial rep is going to tank their set because they are on razor thin margins, then they need to step the fuck away from that shit programming and reevaluate their plans.

And in no universe is that piece of shit rack better than Rogue offerings.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:11 am

mgil wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:27 am
mbasic wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:21 am weird, I thought almost every Rogue "rack" had 1 inch spacing through the bench area for fine-adjustment of the j-hook and safety pins.

Much ado about nothing.

This is excuse making in disguise. What’s wrong with that partial rep while unracking the bar, likely near where the lifter is their strongest? If this partial rep is going to tank their set because they are on razor thin margins, then they need to step the fuck away from that shit programming and reevaluate their plans.

And in no universe is that piece of shit rack better than Rogue offerings.
yeah, I think its funny that rip kinda goes along with his fake-problem, just to say his racks are superior.

Like, if this happened in 2015 (pre-TSS/SS equipment era) and a dude posted in Rip'sQA about possibly needing to do 1/8" shims for adequate unracking and/or might need go with a monolift-arm attachment, for a whole 170 lbs .... and then others chimed in, say a Cody or an SSC posted "that Rogue rack has 1 inch spacing, you really can't find a happy medium there?"
...Rip et al would laugh that guy off right off the board.

Now, its ignore all of the foolishness and blurt out "our racks are better". (when he doesn't even know the spec's and he's wrong again)

==============
[not srs:]
Actually, you know what he could do.
Do an offset hole spacing at 1" vertical increments ... like the strohm pioneer belt.
The channels are wide enough; and that would be/could be the only redeeming quality (another fake reason) of those wide-ass 4" channels.
never happen tho, all that "hole drilling labor".

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:30 am

“I hurt my arms unracking 172 lbs”

Jesus Christ

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:51 am

TimK wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:30 am “I hurt my arms unracking 172 lbs”

Jesus Christ
Sounds like non Adult Male liberal soyboy talk, sad

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:51 am

This is one of those guys who laments the feminization of European masculinity right?

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:29 pm

Well, he says he's 61 years old and started a year or so ago. That kind of puts a 172lb bench in perspective.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:59 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:29 pm Well, he says he's 61 years old and started a year or so ago. That kind of puts a 172lb bench in perspective.
He started at 57.

Nonetheless, he is kinda old and SS is a shit program for people over 60 in terms of the continuous push for PRs. Building work capacity and aiming for hypertrophy is far more important than display of strength at that age, specifically if the trainee doesn’t have an athletic background.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:10 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:29 pm Well, he says he's 61 years old and started a year or so ago. That kind of puts a 172lb bench in perspective.
Regardless of the weight, if he hurt himself unracking the bar because the j cups were 7/8” too low or whatever, it’s too heavy for him and he’s a dumbfuck

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:21 am

TimK wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:10 am
Regardless of the weight, if he hurt himself unracking the bar because the j cups were 7/8” too low or whatever, it’s too heavy for him and he’s a dumbfuck
That’s basically it, yes. And framed in the context of this thread, no rack nor attachment (e.g. monilift hooks) would’ve made a difference.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:16 am

I don't care if he's benching 172 kg or 172 lbs or 72 lbs .... and 1/8" of inch difference, on a rack that has one inch hole spacing... makes no sense whatsoever. In no world does 1" +/- turn an 'unracking' into a partial rep that would diminish the following reps of the workset in a significant way.

Maybe if something was off like 2" (ss/tss rack spacing, funny enough) from what you'd prefer.

And a 1/8" shim is going to rectify this problem?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:22 am

brkriete wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:51 am This is one of those guys who laments the feminization of European masculinity right?
IIRC, this guy has started a ton of injury threads, and never posts a tech.video .... even when asked.

Also, several threads where he's "conflicted" about gaining weight (aka fat fucking his 60 y.o. self) vs. dieting, stay at a reasonable weight for an older man.

And has been admonished over there several times on both of those topics.

But rip ignores the silliness of the whole +/- 1/8" adjustment J-hook quagmire thing...

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri May 28, 2021 6:27 am

The local Play It Again Sports has had a York portable power rack complete with actual j-hooks in for like a month now for $99. I always told myself if I found one for a hundred bucks or less I'd pick it up as a cool novelty piece. I passed on it a month ago because I don't really have the space for more equipment and was hoping it would be gone the next time I stopped in, but...

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Fri May 28, 2021 7:09 am

14" depth with holes spread 4" apart? lolwut