Why Antique York Racks Are Stupid

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

mbasic

Re: Why Antique York Racks Are Stupid

Post by mbasic » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:55 am

what MIGHT be funny, and I'm sure a bunch of nerd-engineers are going to chime in.....

They should of used grade 5 bolts, they'd be softer for not mashing down your knurl.

And, I'm going to say the grade 5 bolt would mash out faster, and make a little saddle/valley for the bar to rest in.

Might distribute the wear out over more area.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:58 am

mgil wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:48 am
Murelli wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:29 am Or maybe they were the only ones that agreed?
Since SS equipment is an LLC or similar owned by Reynolds, I'd hazard a guess as to them being the ones to provide the highest profit return per unit sold. Johnny Brown has other shit to build, and probably doesn't need the business, especially since the cost of getting one direct from him (i.e. no royalties to some clown) was about the same. TSS probably has a fabrication shop more suited to this kind of business and cheaper labor.

Again, there are two better and cheaper power racks available from TSS that can have options added and are expandable. The concept that someone is going to pay more for less due to brand association and some sense of heritage is silly. Hell, TSS calling them "Rip Racks" is an insult to the York legacy. Even then, York wasn't putting a ton of effort into the engineering of these things.
apparently not (re: bolded part above)
coachnikolai@claylacey54 nothing. Johnny’s doing fine. Texas Strength Systems will just be able to keep up with demand better.
fucking lie

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:02 am

@Manveer would know best, but I'm not sure if a bolt's ability to handle higher shear and normal/compressional stress directly translates into a hardness factor.

Johnny Brown is doing fine. I'm sure he priced those racks at $1200 such that he was making a tidy margin for his time. He probably does a much better job in cleaning stuff up on the fabrication process.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:06 am

mgil wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:02 am @Manveer would know best, but I'm not sure if a bolt's ability to handle higher shear and normal/compressional stress directly translates into a hardness factor.

Johnny Brown is doing fine. I'm sure he priced those racks at $1200 such that he was making a tidy margin for his time. He probably does a much better job in cleaning stuff up on the fabrication process.
Yeah, higher hardness in steels means higher YS/UTS. It takes a lot to shear a fucking bolt of that size though.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:08 am

mgil wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:02 am @Manveer would know best, but I'm not sure if a bolt's ability to handle higher shear and normal/compressional stress directly translates into a hardness factor.
its not so much the cost thing...but yeah we "use grade 8 everything because roar" blah blah.

sometimes, softer and weaker is better

I don't want the knurling tore up where I have to snatch grip . . . but no-one at WFAC is snatching anything, I digress.

Which, brings me to, I can't recall every seeing one of these racks anywhere (in the last 20 years)....IG posts, SS forum check vids, etc.

so sought after
much demand

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:14 am

Points for Tacoma Narrows reference.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:34 am

mgil wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:48 am
Murelli wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:29 am Or maybe they were the only ones that agreed?
Since SS equipment is an LLC or similar owned by Reynolds, I'd hazard a guess as to them being the ones to provide the highest profit return per unit sold. Johnny Brown has other shit to build, and probably doesn't need the business, especially since the cost of getting one direct from him (i.e. no royalties to some clown) was about the same. TSS probably has a fabrication shop more suited to this kind of business and cheaper labor.

Again, there are two better and cheaper power racks available from TSS that can have options added and are expandable. The concept that someone is going to pay more for less due to brand association and some sense of heritage is silly. Hell, TSS calling them "Rip Racks" is an insult to the York legacy. Even then, York wasn't putting a ton of effort into the engineering of these things.
These things are cheap to produce with only a couple of tools, if it weren't for todays steel prices. I mean, you can hammer them together in maybe 3 hours or so. Not much labour involved, I can see how that was a practical solution for a black-iron gym in the 70's. However, they are equivalent to the 5.0l V8 with 150hp and 20mpg in a pacer, for the price of a lamborghini. No ones gonna buy this today.

Skander

Post by Skander » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:05 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:08 am
its not so much the cost thing...but yeah we "use grade 8 everything because roar" blah blah.

sometimes, softer and weaker is better

I don't want the knurling tore up where I have to snatch grip . . . but no-one at WFAC is snatching anything, I digress.

Which, brings me to, I can't recall every seeing one of these racks anywhere (in the last 20 years)....IG posts, SS forum check vids, etc.

so sought after
much demand
There was one for free on Reddit in London a few weeks back...

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:10 am

I stand corrected, this guy has one.

Which brings me to, this makes even less sense for a coach or PT guy trying to run/start a business...
where as you could've had two (brand x) racks for the price of one rip rack ...or 4 for 2, etc.

Its telling that they don't use a rip rack in the BBL "studios" for demonstrating the lifts (Rogue Rack is used).

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:06 pm

Manveer wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:06 am

Yeah, higher hardness in steels means higher YS/UTS. It takes a lot to shear a fucking bolt of that size though.
To shear it maybe. To hit it repeatedly and cause work hardening...

Do you even metal fatigue ?

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:10 pm

chrisd wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:06 pm

First:

Second: a bar being dropped on it probably stays in the infinite fatigue life. Do you even mechanical engineer bro?

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:20 pm

Yeah, I do... I have never done any analysis on a power rack, but I doubt it would be a factor on a bolt of that size.

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:23 pm

Manveer wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:20 pm

Yeah, I do... I have never done any analysis on a power rack, but I doubt it would be a factor on a bolt of that size.
I've snapped a lot of bolts in my time and I reckon those could break, eventually. If they got used for more than the three months of LP that everyone quits after.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:45 pm

chrisd wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:23 pmI've snapped a lot of bolts in my time and I reckon those could break, eventually. If they got used for more than the three months of LP that everyone quits after.
For what it's worth, having been to Rip's gym, the bolts are fine. The barbells have suffered somewhat, but not just from the bolts.

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:14 pm

Murelli wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:10 pm

First:

Second: a bar being dropped on it probably stays in the infinite fatigue life. Do you even mechanical engineer bro?
More obscure and useless

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:15 pm

I'm still in shock they ask $1200 for that turd. It'd be interesting to see the sales numbers

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:07 am

Stenson wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:15 pm I'm still in shock they ask $1200 for that turd. It'd be interesting to see the sales numbers
It’ll be non-zero.

They are franchising out the concept of the SS Gym whereby any knucklehead can own a gym as long as SSCs work there. A stipulation of being an SS Gym is to have “SS approved equipment” which is likely a short list containing this rack, some mediocre bench, and possibly the TSS “All American Barbell” (look it up).

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:36 am

Stenson wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:15 pm I'm still in shock they ask $1200 for that turd. It'd be interesting to see the sales numbers
It's high profit, so the numbers don't need to be that high.

High margin items sell in fewer numbers. The ROI is high, so it makes sense to include it in the inventory.

Presumably it will appeal to the hipster type who has just read Starting Strength and wants to do things the old timey way so he gets to be big and strong like all his all time strength heroes who he just discovered.

It will go well with the bronze bushed barbell, iron plates and wood soled shoes he just bought.

Stenson

Post by Stenson » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:04 pm

chrisd wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:36 am
It's high profit, so the numbers don't need to be that high.

High margin items sell in fewer numbers. The ROI is high, so it makes sense to include it in the inventory.
True. I just can't imagine why anyone would pay that much when there are better options for cheaper that are offered by the same damn company. I guess it's the same type of people who pay way too much for other name brand stuff, regardless of the quality.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:12 pm

Stenson wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:04 pm True. I just can't imagine why anyone would pay that much when there are better options for cheaper that are offered by the same damn company. I guess it's the same type of people who pay way too much for other name brand stuff, regardless of the quality.
It would be more like someone paying more for, I dunno, making it up, but, an "Eddie Bauer" edition F150 that was just an XL with an "Eddie Bauer" tag than they would for a Limited. But, like, 20% more. $73K for a $27K truck with a $5 plastic badge.