Post Novice? Turn Up The Volume.

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

chrisd

Re: Post Novice? Turn Up The Volume.

Post by chrisd » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:35 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:27 pm
chrisd wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:34 am A rather vague question with no quote. I'll be so bold as to assume you are asking me.
I was, my post was right after yours, which would be clearer if it wasn't on a new page. Your talk of having the showy muscles you wanted intrigued me. So thanks!
Yep, biceps division, pectoral striations, lat taper, hip flexors to make the waist look shorter, abzors, deltoids (even rear) the lot. Great so long as you want to keep going A Back, Chest, Biceps, Calves; B Thighs, Tris, Delts, Abs forever.

cwd

Post by cwd » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:27 am

KarlM wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:43 pmPerhaps the tendonitis issues that seem to be rampant among late intermediate/advanced lifters could be more effectively mitigated if volume wasn't over prescribed? This last bit is me talking out of my ass, but I do wonder?
True, the risk of an overuse injury with higher volume is high. It is addressed with lower intensity and using variant lifts.

I.e. I used to have terrible hip tendon problems doing 9 sets/week of low-bar squats @9-10 every week on SSLP

But I can handle 9 sets/week of a mix of low- and high-bar squats, some paused, @7-9 just fine.

perman

Post by perman » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:01 am

KarlM wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:43 pm Perhaps the tendonitis issues that seem to be rampant among late intermediate/advanced lifters could be more effectively mitigated if volume wasn't over prescribed? This last bit is me talking out of my ass, but I do wonder?
I can think of one big advantage the high volume/lower intensity approach might have, and that's cleaner technique. One of the main purposes of good technique is preventing injury, keeping a flat back in squats and deadlifts help prevent back injuries for instance.

My bias is also that enough people seem to recommend keeping the ego in check for lifting weights to prevent injuries, which is essentially what RPE is a scientific distillation of. Omar Isuf coincidentally just released a video today talking about this very issue:

My experience after having done both Jordan style RPE programs and TM is that the former made me feel generally better, though I am in a weird period now of not having had a lingering tendonitisish issue for a long while, not sure how much programming has had to do with it as much as having adjusted to initial issues.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:50 am

chrisd wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:30 am
unruhschuh wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:58 am

Big Beyond Belief seems to be written by Leo Costa. The pdf is an easy find on google, due to Roger Hardin abandoning his website. I love when that happens.
Was it ? it's been in a box for over twenty years. Platz probably gets a mention in it somewhere.

Anyway, it was based on increasing volume and shortening rests, mostly in the 8-15 rep range. Brief forays into lower rep ranges designed to increase strength and allow heavier weights to be used on the next cycle.

The magnificent muscle definition it produced, vanished within three to six months of stopping, leading me to believe that sarcoplasmic vs. myofibrillar hypertrophy may actually be a thing.
Interesting. Do you think progress could be made with both strength and hypertrophy in the long-run if someone alternated their training every 3 months or so? 12 weeks hypertrophy, 12 weeks strength focus, repeat? I'll treat myself to a get-swole program once I hit 3/4/5 on the main lifts.

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:40 am

AaronM wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:50 am

Big Beyond Belief seems to be written by Leo Costa. The pdf is an easy find on google, due to Roger Hardin abandoning his website. I love when that happens.
Was it ? it's been in a box for over twenty years. Platz probably gets a mention in it somewhere.

Anyway, it was based on increasing volume and shortening rests, mostly in the 8-15 rep range. Brief forays into lower rep ranges designed to increase strength and allow heavier weights to be used on the next cycle.

The magnificent muscle definition it produced, vanished within three to six months of stopping, leading me to believe that sarcoplasmic vs. myofibrillar hypertrophy may actually be a thing.
Interesting. Do you think progress could be made with both strength and hypertrophy in the long-run if someone alternated their training every 3 months or so? 12 weeks hypertrophy, 12 weeks strength focus, repeat? I'll treat myself to a get-swole program once I hit 3/4/5 on the main lifts.
That sounds like block training. Also it sounds like Andy Baker's seasonal idea. Why not? 12 weeks on four blocks and some spare to mess around.

timelinex

Post by timelinex » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:26 am

AaronM wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:50 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but thats literally what periodization is about.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:29 am

Block periodization, maybe?