Crockery Chatter

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Crockery Chatter

Post by mgil » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:28 am

Just general miscellaneous stuff about pots and pans and other crockery.

I will start this off with an observation I made today. I have on older Revereware saucepan that I’ve had since 1993 that I’ve kept because it’s tiny but useful. Thanks to the “generosity” of others, I’ve received newer pots and saucepans. But I still like my Revereware one quite a bit. Today, yes today eons later, I’ve realized why:

The Revereware has a brazed or welded handle as opposed to rivets. This makes cleaning much easier along with stirring. Much better construction for this type of crockery, IMO.

iamsmu

Re: Crockery Chatter

Post by iamsmu » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:37 am

I have a Revereware skillet or whaterver from around 2003 that has rivets. The handle is now loose. I had a similar saucepan and had to throw it out because of the handle issue.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:42 am

Rivets allow the handle to fail slowly over time. Welding or brazing is usually a transient event, which is not usually fun.

I looked online this morning for some other discussions but didn’t see a lot. It seems like something people don’t consider?

My weird analysis tendencies brought me to this point, and in agreement with the one discussion I found.

Probably doesn’t matter to most folks.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:52 am

I have a set of Calphalon Commercial Hard-Anodized pans I picked up in grad school about 10 years ago. They've seen heavy use and are still in as good of shape as when they were brand new, save for some oxidation on them. I don't think they make these anymore - they're not non-stick, and I can only find non-stick calphalon stuff these days, which I'm not a fan of. They heat evenly, and the large fry pan is heavy enough that it is almost as good as my cast iron pan at searing meat. They are a cinch to clean too. No matter how stuck on food is, letting it sit in water for 5 minutes or so loosens it up that one pass with a scrub brush gets it free.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:58 am

Those sound kickass @omaniphil. I have a large nonstick Calphalon “high end” skillet I bought at the outlet years ago (~10) and has held up well. The newer stuff, regardless of price, seems like poop.

SpinyNorman

Post by SpinyNorman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:15 am

A few months ago I found a good deal on this cookware set. It's really nice stuff. We replaced a bunch of non stick calphalon that was over a decade old and was wearing out. That set and our cast iron skillets take care of a good portion of our cooking needs.