12x45lb / hand @ 7.5
2 minute rests between supersets

Hammer Curl w/Twist:
15x35lb / hand @ 7 (PR for 15; +2.5lb)
15x35lb / hand @ 8.5
2 minutes rest

Footage:

Nutrition/Health/Life Stuff:
  • Decent sleep. Lazy morning because wet weather. Ate breakfast and drank three coffees before lifting relatively early for a weekend (9:50am start). Shoulder still feeling pretty sore this morning.
  • Weight has definitely been trending down over the last month - I'm hoping by the end of this week things will have mostly healed up and I'll start another run at gaining more weight.
Training Notes:
  • Wasn't totally convinced I should bench but I pushed through, and just skipped the top single. The work sets didn't feel terribly heavy, but they were definitely fairly uncomfortable and some of the reps look a lot like I was trying to protect the sore right shoulder. But I got through them somehow and don't think I made it hurt any more than it already did.
  • The feet up bench wasn't too bad, being a lighter weight and a narrower grip; was actually pleased I managed to push that last set as hard as I did.
  • Lat pulldowns started to get a bit challenging at the end of the second set, managed to push the third pretty hard there too. Harder than I'd programmed, as usual.
  • Leg extensions and triceps after that, was a better than expected effort and the triceps work didn't worry my shoulder at all which was a concern beforehand.
  • Some curls after that - was happy to get fifteen reps again with a bit more weight than last week, and even happier to get it twice; that second set was pretty tough though, I started to get the full body shakes halfway through, which is unusual for me. Maybe I didn't eat enough beforehand.
  • This all took exactly an hour, and it was good to get done virtually everything I programmed despite being sore. Bye!

BenM

Sunday Morning

Post by BenM » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:00 am

Sun 21/08/22: The Rehab Sessions - W1 D1

AM BW: 90.3kg

Background Noise: Enforcer & The Dude

Single Leg Glute Bridge:
45 seconds / side
60 seconds / side
60 seconds / side
Not much rest

Single Leg Banded RDL:
10 reps w/purple band
10 reps w/purple band
Not much rest

Side Step Up:
10x20lb / hand
10x20lb / hand
10x20lb / hand
No rest, just back and forth between legs

Band Pull Apart:
20 reps w/red band
20 reps w/red band
Not much rest

Pause Dumbbell Bench Press:
20x20lb / hand
20x20lb / hand
Not much rest

Hammer Curl:
15x20lb / hand
15x20lb / hand
Not much rest

Dumbbell Row:
15x30lb / hand
15x30lb / hand
15x30lb / hand
Not much rest

Band Triceps Pushdown:
40 reps w/purple band
40 reps w/purple band
Not much rest

I woke up early on Monday morning fully intending to deadlift and squat. But as I was drinking my pre workout coffee I realised that I was sore, tired, and sick of forcing myself to train when I really didn't want to and worse, pushing through these niggles. So I made the very conscious and considered decision to take at least a week off lifting altogether, maybe try some yoga, then come back and rehab my glute and shoulder properly before I start lifting anything remotely heavy again.

So, I haven't trained all week, and I didn't do any yoga (yet) either. I've just been focussed on getting to bed early, getting quality sleep, walking the dog before breakfast most days, and trying to maintain sensible eating habits. I don't feel like I've undereaten, but I have unintentionally lost a little more weight. My energy levels really didn't improve much until towards the end of the week and even today I needed a mid afternoon nap, so I feel like I must've been in a pretty big hole fatigue wise and I'm glad I took a break.

My shoulder has improved a little, it was quite painful to pour from a full jug of water earlier in the week but it's less irritated now so I'm hopeful that it's just a decent strain of all three delt heads and I'm trying to make sure that doesn't become chronic. Like my glute/hip, which is still annoying me even just walking around, especially up stairs, and has been an issue for long enough that I'm really not expecting to do any kind of squatting for at least four to six weeks. But if that's what it takes, that's what it takes.

Today I actually did feel like doing some light work and experimenting a bit. I managed to knock out this light session in 45 minutes - didn't bother filming it for obvious reasons. But I learned a few things and now I'll use that to figure out some sort of plan for the next week or so. The side step ups in particular felt like they'll be a really productive movement to realign and rehab that glute medius - so we'll see what this week brings. I'm hoping to be back to some light barbell benching next week but I should know by now not to put expectations and timelines on these things because it just leads to frustration or worse. So what freaking ever; I'm just gonna have to be disciplined and enjoy the break.

slowmotion

Re: Sunday Morning

Post by slowmotion » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:11 am

BenM wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:00 am ... enjoy the break.
That sounds like a good idea! :)

When you do start up again, why not try doing squats, bench and deads with just the empty bar for a week or two?

MarkKO

Re: Veni, vidi, levavi, BenM Blathers

Post by MarkKO » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:18 am

That is a very intelligent decision. You won't regret it.

If you can stomach pushing the barbell free period to four to six weeks you will likely be very glad you did.

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:10 am

slowmotion wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:11 am

When you do start up again, why not try doing squats, bench and deads with just the empty bar for a week or two?
I might. I'm not even going to attempt to barbell squat until I can do it pain free though.
MarkKO wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:18 am That is a very intelligent decision. You won't regret it.

If you can stomach pushing the barbell free period to four to six weeks you will likely be very glad you did.
Nothing is off the table at the moment - I'm playing it by ear. I just expect the shoulder to come good a lot faster than the leg. And I haven't played with my Swiss bar for a while!

My schedule also needs a rethink so this is a good opportunity to try and find a better / more sustainable way.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:13 am

BenM wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:10 am
slowmotion wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:11 am

I might. I'm not even going to attempt to barbell squat until I can do it pain free though.
MarkKO wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:18 am That is a very intelligent decision. You won't regret it.

Nothing is off the table at the moment - I'm playing it by ear. I just expect the shoulder to come good a lot faster than the leg. And I haven't played with my Swiss bar for a while!

My schedule also needs a rethink so this is a good opportunity to try and find a better / more sustainable way.
Time will tell. My own experience is that shoulders and hips tend to take their sweet time to recover

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:40 am

@MarkKO I'm blessed to have never had a shoulder injury until now (and I managed to change that using bands of all things!) so all I can go by is how quickly it seems to have improved, better than I expected really. But it takes as long as it takes, I'm cool with that - there's no meets or other impending deadlines this year.

I just checked because I couldn't remember, but the last time I took much of a break was 5 days off in February 2021 when I had food poisoning or something - so it's been a while.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:23 pm

BenM wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:40 am @MarkKO I'm blessed to have never had a shoulder injury until now (and I managed to change that using bands of all things!) so all I can go by is how quickly it seems to have improved, better than I expected really. But it takes as long as it takes, I'm cool with that - there's no meets or other impending deadlines this year.

I just checked because I couldn't remember, but the last time I took much of a break was 5 days off in February 2021 when I had food poisoning or something - so it's been a while.
This is one of the reasons I deload religiously. Sure, there are tons of people who say if you manage your fatigue you don't need them. I don't think it works like that.

With bands, depending how you use them and how heavy they are, they can mess you up just like anything else.

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:26 pm

Have I really not logged anything since August 21?

I've still managed to get in 4 sessions a week. It's been mostly boring light work, and I haven't videoed most of them either. But I still logged them elsewhere so might start copying them across here now I've got a spare few minutes. Logbomb incoming.

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:27 pm

Mon 22/08/22: The Rehab Sessions - W1 D2

Background Noise: I can't remember

Band Pull Apart:
20 reps w/red band
20 reps w/red band
Not much rest

20x30lb / hand
20x30lb / hand
1 minute rest

Lat Pulldown (Chin Up Grip):
20x40kg
20x40kg
20x40kg
1 minute rests

Single Leg Glute Bridge:
1 minute hold
1 minute hold
Just a few seconds between sides

Side Step Up:
10x25lb / hand
10x25lb / hand
10x25lb / hand
No rest, just back and forth

Single Leg Banded RDL:
12 reps w/purple band
12 reps w/purple band
Not much rest

• I didn't write any notes down for this day and since I'm logging it three days later I can't remember much about how I was feeling when I woke up that morning.
Training Notes:
  • Light band pull aparts and super light dumbbell bench went fine. The lat pulldowns, well, they were a bit silly and I was starting to feel a bit sore in my shoulder by the end - need to take these easy.
  • I really hate these glute bridges and don't think they do much for me anyway so I may not do them much in future.
  • The side step ups though still feel pretty good. The RDLs give my hamstrings a bit of a burn but really show up how shitty my balance is especially on my weaker left side.
  • All done in 35 minutes.

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:27 pm

Wed 24/08/22: The Rehab Sessions - W1 D3

AM BW: 90.6kg

Background Noise: Radiohead - The Bends

Dumbbell Single Leg Front Foot Elevated Split Squat:
BWx10
BWx10
Not much rest

Side Step Up:
12x25lb / hand
12x25lb / hand
12x25lb / hand
No rest, just back and forth

Paused Single Leg Leg Extension:
12x25kg
12x25kg
Not much rest

Single Leg Banded RDL:
12 reps w/purple band
12 reps w/purple band
No rest between sets

Deficit Pushup (Feet On Bench):
15 reps
15 reps
Sub 1 minute rest

Body Weight Dip:
6 reps
6 reps
6 reps
6 reps
6 reps
10 reps @ 9
About 45 second rests

• Work has been crappy this week and I was fairly tired from that but otherwise not reluctant for this easy work. I need to keep moving.
Training Notes:
  • These front foot elevated squats were a little uncomfortable to begin with and will be a good indicator of how that tendon is progressing, rehab wise. Side step ups didn't feel quite as good as last time - not bad though. I did do a couple of extra reps per set, they're very easy.
  • The single leg leg extensions were super light but I still got a quad pump. Once again struggled to balance with the RDLs.
  • These deficit pushups actually felt like proper training and I had a chest pump afterwards (and DOMs the next day). Really struggled with dips afterwards, I can normally do high teens/low twenties with these at least to start with but maybe my triceps were just fried from the pushups. They felt terribly heavy so I just banged out some sets of six and then pushed the last one pretty hard. I kinda feel like if I can do dips and pushups my shoulder mustn't be awfully torn, just strained, so that's a good sign.
  • Got this done nice and quick in 32 minutes. See you next time!

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:28 pm

Fri 26/08/22: The Rehab Sessions - W1 D4

Background Noise: The Race F1 Podcast

Band Pull Apart:
20 reps w/red band
20 reps w/red band
Not much rest

20x30lb / hand
20x30lb / hand
20x30lb / hand
30 second rests

One Arm Dumbbell Row:
20x35lb / hand
20x35lb / hand
20x35lb / hand
30 second rests

Walking Lunge:
25xbodyweight
25xbodyweight
About a minute rest

Single Leg Dumbbell RDL:
15x35lb
15x35lb
Sub one minute rest

Hammer Curl w/Twist:
15x20lb / hand
15x20lb / hand
About 30 seconds rest

Single Arm Overhead Dumbbell Triceps Extension:
15x20lb
15x20lb
About 30 seconds rest

• Had a very early start this morning because work is nuts this week but all good, it's light mucking around. I also hadn't got round to programming this so it was kinda worked out on the fly.
Training Notes:
  • All the upper body stuff was straightforward and light although the last set of twenty started to feel like work especially the rows.
  • The lunges felt pretty good today, yes they're only body weight but it feels like there is progress there and my leg is less irritated but who knows, it's up and down.
  • I switched to dumbbell unilateral RDLs purely because I can use my other hand to balance unlike with the band. These were easy but I can blow my back up if I'm not really careful.
  • Did some really light curls and triceps - wasn't sold on the overhead aspect, my shoulder did twinge a bit getting the weight up there but the sets themselves felt mostly ok.
  • Finished this in 40 minutes. Feel like this week has been productive. My hip and shoulder don't seem to be keeping me awake at night any more which is a good sign. Still feels like squatting pain free is a long way off though. But whatever. Patience is a virtue.

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:28 pm

Sun 28/08/22: The Rehab Sessions - W2 D1

AM BW: 89.8kg

Background Noise: The Race / Lakeside Drive podcasts

Front Foot Elevated Split Squat:
12xBW
12x20lb dumbbell
12x20lb dumbbell
About a minutes rest between weighted sets

Side Step Up:
12x30lb / hand
12x30lb / hand
12x30lb / hand
30 second rests

12x30kg
12x30kg
30 seconds rest

Single Leg Dumbbell RDL:
15x40lb
15x40lb
30 seconds rest

Deficit Push Up w/Feet On Bench:
12xBW
12xBW
12xBW @ 6.5
30 second rests

Triceps Pushdown w/Rope:
12x15kg
12x15kg @ 7
1 minute rest

• Kinda hoped to get gym time yesterday but was too busy in the end. Slept well last night though - Garmin gave me a sleep score of 96/100 which is insane, probably a PR. Was too good though; I woke up with a splitting headache and it took me a long time to get over it, I didn't make it out to the gym until almost 12pm.
  • In other news, I still seem to be losing weight. I spent some time yesterday reflecting on the week that was and programming the next one, I think it's going ok. I'm starting to miss actual lifting, but I'm also quite enjoying these quick, light sessions. My shoulder definitely has improved and I can do an unweighted lateral raise with hardly any pain now, so I've programmed some very light Swiss bar benching for later this week to see how it feels. The leg tendon thing might actually be improving too but it's hard to say, it does come and go a bit. Some days I roll out of bed and walk the dog with almost no pain, other days it's noticeably sore. But I <i>think</i> these movements are slowly helping it.
Training Notes:
  • These split squats felt alright - a little soreness to start but good once I got going. The quad burn was real, too - I wasn't fully locking out my knee each rep so had tension on the muscle for the entire set.
  • After the squats the step ups were a breeze and felt pretty good. I only took short rests because I needed to give my grip a break otherwise I'd have probably just gone back and forth without stopping.
  • These leg extensions despite being very light had me starting to shake by the end. Not because they were heavy or difficult, I was just low on energy or blood sugar or something.
  • Bit of a back pump from the RDLs but otherwise easy enough.
  • These deficit pushups gave me serious chest DOMs last time out. I dropped the reps a little this time and did three sets, and my legs were getting shaky again during the last two. They must fry my triceps also because those pushdowns afterwards were way way harder than they should've been, I refuse to accept the other possible explanation that I am a lot weaker today than mere weeks ago.
  • Another nice quick 35 minute session. Had lunch then did a couple of hours lawn mowing and stuff this afternoon so I have done my conditioning for today too. Might've annoyed the shoulder a bit by spending ten minutes attempting to start a whipper snipper that as it turns out was just low on fuel. Sigh. Thanks for reading!

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:29 pm

Tue 30/08/22: The Rehab Sessions - W2 D2

AM BW: 90.0kg

Background Noise: The Race F1 Podcast

Band Pull Apart:
20 reps w/red band
20 reps w/red band
Not much rest

20x35lb / hand
20x35lb / hand
20x35lb / hand
30 second rests

Lat Pulldown (Chin Up Grip):
15x40kg
15x40kg
15x40kg
1 minute rests

Side Step Up:
15x30lb / hand
15x30lb / hand
15x30lb / hand
1 minute rests

B-Stance Hip Thrust:
12xBW+10kg
12xBW+10kg
Not much rest

Hamstring Curl:
15x30kg
15x30kg
1 minute rest

• Slept hard but woke up super tired this morning. Still recovering from F1 Sunday night and work has been making me miserable and stressed this week. Really wasn't super keen even for this light stuff but got out and mucked about anyway.
Training Notes:
  • Band pull aparts are maybe stressing my sore right shoulder a little too much at these high reps. The benching was fine though - I only programmed sets of 15-18 but got sets of 20 with a little puffing and some burning triceps by the end.
  • Learnt from last week and lowered reps on the lat pulldowns - these were very easy but needed to be.
  • Side step ups, for more reps this time, felt pretty good.
  • Hip thrusts, no, they did not feel good at all. Awkward and I think I tweaked my neck leaning against the bench, but I couldn't get comfortable with my upper back against it either and they just feel ineffective anyway. Will probably do some banded reverse hypers or something next week instead.
  • Did some nice easy hamstring curls to finish. All done in 35 minutes.
  • Pleasantly surprised to note less pain in the leg today after this session, especially when walking up stairs. No chance squatting would be pain free yet (even body weight) but the break from barbells and the light work is definitely helping. The shoulder was bothering me at work today though and it is taking it's sweet time. Just gotta stay with the program and have faith.

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:29 pm

Wed 31/08/22: The Rehab Sessions - W2 D3

Background Noise: Bring Back V10s / Risky Business podcasts

Staggered Stance Belt Squat:
5x0kg
10x10kg
12x20kg
12x20kg
12x20kg
1 minute rests

Walking Lunge:
20x20lb / hand
20x20lb / hand
1 minute rest

Single Leg Kettlebell RDL:
12x45lb
12x45lb
1 minute rest

Low Incline Pause Dumbbell Bench:
15x35lb / hand
15x35lb / hand
20x35lb / hand
1 minute rests

Body Weight Dip:
12 reps
12 reps
10 reps @ 7.5
2 minute rests

Footage:

• Slept well and definitely didn't feel as tired as yesterday when I woke up at 4:20am before the alarm even went off.
Training Notes:
  • Wanted to try these staggered stance squats after seeing them in that ATX lever belt squat video. Tried to keep almost all the weight over my front leg. They weren't bad, a little uncomfortable and this was as heavy as I was comfortable going, but the closest to a full depth squat I've done in a few weeks - they'll work both for rehab and for some unique quad stimulus. Then I did some light walking lunges and my quads were spicy hot.
  • Decided to try the kettlebell for the RDLs, still crazy light, but maybe a little more comfortable to hold, still got a back pump too.
  • Bench was alright, pushed the last set to twenty, got a bit of a triceps burn. Then did some dips and they were a lot better than the other day, but got real challenging in set three and I'm not pushing these too hard with my shoulder still janky. But it felt more like training than pissing about.
  • A pretty solid little effort, in 43 minutes. Keep rolling on.

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:30 pm

Fri 02/09/22: The Rehab Sessions - W2 D4

AM BW: 89.70kg

Background Noise: Risky Business / Eat Train Progress podcasts

Band Pull Apart:
20 reps / red band
20 reps / red band
Not much rest

Swiss Bar Bench Press:
10x25kg
10x25kg
10x65kg
10x65kg
12x50kg
1 minute rests

One Arm Dumbbell Row:
15x40lb
15x40lb
15x40lb
1 minute rests

Incline Curl:
12x22.5lb / hand
12x22.5lb / hand
12x22.5lb / hand
1 minute rests

Dumbbell Single Leg Front Foot Elevated Squat:
12x22.5lb
12x22.5lb
12x22.5lb
1 minute rests

Side Step Up:
12x32.5lb / hand
12x32.5lb / hand
12x32.5lb / hand
30 second rest

Footage:

• Woke up early and very, very tired this morning. It's been a long hard slog at work the last couple of weeks.
Training Notes:
  • Did some band pull aparts and some swiss bar benching. That second set of ten actually started to hurt my front delt so I dropped the load for the last lighter set. Might've been a bit early for this weight.
  • The rows were really easy, not much to say about those really. The curls got to maybe RPE 5.5 on the last set.
  • Did these front foot elevated squats today. Already had a bit of quad DOMS from the squats on Wednesday but these... holy quad burn. The last set was actually really quite challenging. After that, I did some side step ups but kept them really nice and easy.
  • All done in 42 minutes.

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:30 pm

Tue 06/09/22: The Rehab Sessions - W3 D1

Background Noise: Lakeside Drive / The Race podcasts

Front Foot Elevated Single Leg Squat:
10x25lb
10x25lb
10x25lb
30 second rests

Side Step Up:
12x35lb / hand
12x35lb / hand
12x35lb / hand
No rest, just back and forth between sides

12x32.5kg
12x32.5kg
1 minute rest

Barbell RDL:
15x50kg
15x50kg
1 minute rest

Dumbbell Squeeze Press:
15x35lb / hand
15x35lb / hand
15x35lb / hand @ 4-5
30 second rests

Triceps Pushdown w/Rope:
15x15kg
12x15kg
12x15kg @ 7.5
1 minute rests

Footage:
There isn't any!

• Had a busy weekend, came down with a cough (which is still getting worse), ultimately decided not to 'train' although I probably could have fitted it in. There was F1 on Sunday night, so training early Monday wouldn't have been great either, so I had three full days off. No regrets, my shoulder is still feeling shit (detailing the car on the weekend didn't help) but at least my leg issue is lessening. Maybe.
  • Woke up this morning after a pretty decent sleep feeling not crazy tired and reasonably recovered. But still chesty. RAT says not COVID which I guess means I'd better still go to work.
Training Notes:
  • Added a little weight to these front foot elevated squats again. Left leg went pop during the first set, and it felt crap to start out but got better as things warmed up. Maybe do some reps with body weight before I grab the dumbbell next time... They weren't super easy by the end but definitely weren't as hard as last time out either.
  • Easy side step ups, and no rest this time because I was on a mission to get this session done - forearms were a bit cramped by the end but otherwise these were stupid easy still.
  • Leg extensions got kinda burny by the end but not super hard. Then I grabbed a barbell for the first time in weeks and did some stupidly light RDLs in place of the dumbbell work. No back pump thankfully, also only a minor hamstring burn - I need to load these more, assuming I pull up OK.
  • Took out the push ups because I don't think they're a good move for my shoulder - did light squeeze presses instead. Started to get a little bit challenging by the end but nothing exciting. Then did some triceps which went a lot better than last time after push ups. Pushed them quite hard at the end.
  • Not a bad little way to kill 37 minutes, didn't really break a sweat. Leg is definitely much improved from a few weeks ago - walking on the flat is practically normal, walking up stairs is only slightly uncomfortable, and I actually sat in a third world squat for a few minutes this afternoon with virtually no pain. Of course standing up from that position does still hurt once it's under load, but not as much as before, so that's good? I am definitely hoping to start throwing some light goblet squats and stuff like that into the mix soon. I'm almost missing barbell squats which feels weird - but I can't afford to rush things. Seeya!

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:31 pm

Wed 07/09/22: The Rehab Sessions - W3 D2

Background Noise: Stronger By Science podcast

12x40lb / hand
12x40lb / hand
12x40lb / hand
12x40lb / hand
30-40 second rests

Seated Cable Row:
15x50kg
15x50kg
15x50kg
30 second rests

Dumbbell Upright Row:
12x40lb / hand
12x40lb / hand
30 seconds rest

Walking Lunge:
20x22.5lb / hand
20x22.5lb / hand
1 minute rest

Reverse Hyper:
15 reps w/purple band
15 reps w/purple band
15 reps w/purple band
1 minute rests

Side Lunge:
12xBW
15xBW
1 minute rest

• Woke up very very tired and still a bit crook. Not keen but needs must.
Training Notes:
  • Dropped the band pull aparts, I think they're annoying the shoulder. I'd programmed 3 sets of 15-18 on bench but it was feeling kinda sore to start out and I just did 4x12 instead.
  • I also think this seated row is a safer move than the lat pulldowns so I'd programmed that in today. These were pretty easy, the last set might've been @ 5 or so, and no pain that I noticed so maybe I can safely go reasonably heavy with these.
  • The upright rows were a bit of an experiment - in theory these were very light, in practice the shoulder did start to get a little tweaky by the end. I may not be ready for these, at least not this heavy. Sigh.
  • Did some walking lunges. Didn't suck too much. Reverse hypers had me breathing kinda heavy. Side lunges were a new thing, the first set was 12 left, 12 right, and the second set I alternated legs. Apart from twisting my knee a bit (which feels like a technique thing) I do think these might be useful, they felt like they were hitting some parts of my glutes and quads that need strengthening.
  • Pretty quick, 37 minutes. Didn't notice much shoulder soreness at all during the day afterwards which is a good sign, think I'm on the right track with it.

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:31 pm

Thu 08/09/22: The Rehab Sessions - W3 D3

AM BW: 89.9kg

Background Noise: Stronger By Science Podcast

Goblet Squat:
12xBW
12x30lbs
12x40lbs
12x40lbs
30 second rests at most

Staggered Stance Belt Squat:
15x25kg
15x25kg
15x25kg
1 minute rests

Single Leg Kettlebell RDL:
15x50lbs
15x50lbs
15x50lbs
About 1 minute rests

Low Incline Paused Dumbbell Bench:
15x40lbs / hand
15x40lbs / hand
15x40lbs / hand
1 minute rests

Bodyweight Dip:
10 reps
10 reps
10 reps @ 7
8 reps @ 8.5
1 minute rests

• Decided to stay in bed this morning and sleep some more instead of hitting the gym. I'm at peak cough levels now but at least I didn't feel crazy tired. Would've been fine with a rest day, but managed to squeeze in a late afternoon session anyway.
Training Notes:
  • Decided to tray some goblet squats, was pleasantly surprised that they were only mildly uncomfortable, although I didn't use much weight, just treated them as a warmup for the belt squats.
  • Belt squats were just a little heavier than last week and a few more reps. By the end of these my quads were kinda toasty. In fact they were still crispy a couple of hours later, so I got some blood flowing anyway.
  • Kettlebell RDLs went ok today, and actually didn't give me a back pump for once so I went for three sets this week.
  • Reasonably happy with the incline bench, these were heavy enough by the end that they felt a little challenging, but I managed to maintain good form and cadence the whole way through and protect the shoulder - I probably need to stay super conservative from here.
  • Dips to finish, and again sort of protected the shoulder a little bit and didn't push mega hard, my triceps were a little burny by the end.
  • That was all she wrote for today, in 38 minutes. Pretty decent.

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:32 pm

Sat 10/09/22: The Rehab Sessions - W3 D4

AM BW: 89.4kg

Background Noise: Lakeside Drive / The Race Podcasts

Swiss Bar Pause Bench (Neutral Grip):
10x25kg
10x25kg
12x55kg
12x55kg
12x55kg
1 minute rests

Single Arm Dumbbell Row:
15x45lb
15x45lb
15x45lb
1 minute rests

Incline Curl:
12x25lb / hand
12x25lb / hand
12x25lb / hand @ 8
1 minute rests

Front Foot Elevated Split Squat:
10x25lb
10x25lb
10x25lb
1 minute rests

Side Step Up:
15x35lb / hand
15x35lb / hand
15x35lb / hand
1 minute rests

Lateral Raise:
10x12.5lb / hand
10x12.5lb / hand
1 minute rest

• Had a slightly late night last night but slept really well, and again woke up with a stupid headache. Luckily it wasn't too stubborn today, and was gone within an hour (after lots of water and coffee). Made it out to the gym in the mid-late morning. Also weighed in lighter than I have in about four months.
Training Notes:
  • Played it a bit safer with the swiss bar bench today, the pain in my front delt was maybe 2-3 out of 10 which is the limit of where it should be. With a neutral grip and tucked elbows, these were all triceps. Shoulder has been feeling just slightly better this week so I do wonder if changing movements up a bit has helped.
  • Dumbbell rows were again really light and nothing exciting at all.
  • I did find these curls pretty difficult especially the last set, and my right elbow was being a bit annoying at lockout. I've lost some strength here for sure.
  • Found some good quad pumpage with these front foot biased squats again, and the quad tendon is getting less and less irritated. These were hardish but not as bad as last time out. I'm beginning to feel like I'm not miles away from getting a bar on my back again, but I'll do some more goblet squats and stuff this week and just feel it out a bit longer. Course it might be an SSB if my shoulder doesn't sort itself out quick smart.
  • Wanted to try some really light lateral raises - these weren't (quite) full ROM, I just used a pretty slow tempo in both directions, went up until it started to hurt a bit, paused at the top and controlled it back down. Again a little uncomfortable but didn't go beyond that low pain threshold and will monitor how things recover.
  • Was glad to get this done and get caught up for the week - it took 42 minutes. Thanks for reading!