A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

broseph
High Fiber

Re: For Your Health (a hunk's log)

Post by broseph » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:01 am

KITTEN URBAN ASSAULT 2.0

That's what I'm doing next.

It scratches me right where I'm itchin', and I was *this* close to doing Baker's KISS, but I think higher rep periods are good for me.
Les has every 3rd week as an optional deload which jives perfectly for what has worked for me lately.
I think I finally have my calories dialed in to make some gainz.

Here's my weekly plan:
1. Bench KUA (Back offs will be comp. bench for given week's rx'd rep range)
OHP 3x6-10 @7
CGBP
Curlz

2. Deadlift KUA (Back offs will be deadlift 4x4 @90% of AMRAP until 4x4 becomes greater than @8)
Front squat 3x6-10 @7. Front squats are my enemy, but keeping them @7 might be helpful.
Horizontal Pull
Dragon Flag attempts

OFF

3. OHP KUA (same as bench)
Pause Bench 3x6-10 @7.
Tricep exercise. Not sure what to do besides CGBP- everything else hurts my elbows. Maybe LTE's with lighter weight will be ok.
Curlz

4. Squat KUA (same as bench)
RDL 3x6-10 @7
Chin Ups
Abwheel

OFF
OFF

I don't know if I'm being smart by modifying it to suit my needs or dumb and now it's not The Program.
Anyone reading- feel free to critique

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:58 am

Looks good to me.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:40 am

10/7/17 KUA Week 1, Bench

Bodyweight 214.6 the last couple days. Because I magically gained 2 lbs overnight. Because that makes sense.

Bench 292.5x 10 @8.5
265x 8, 8, 8, 8 @7.5

Press 165x 6, 6, 6 @7

Close Grip Bench 265x 6, 6, 6 @7

BB Curlz 105x 15, 15, 15 @pumped

Musings: The new program has bench on day 1, and I just benched a few days ago so I felt a little fatigued the entire session. I think next week's numbers will look better. With the lower RPE's I was able to keep all rest periods ~4-5 minutes. I'm not positive what I'll do with the assistance work on this program. My general plan is to increase assistance volume as the weeks progress- this week I'm probably doing the bare minimum.
Allentown wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:58 am Looks good to me.
I know you've ran it before, so thanks. I'm probably just thick, but Les's write up wasn't super clear to me, especially with all the options for drop sets. When you ran this you usually did the top set AMRAP, then the comp. lift for back off sets, but you did 4x4 @7ish for the back offs, regardless of the week's rx'd top set reps. Right?

So in theory, your 4x4's would gradually increase as the weeks progressed. Versus what I'm planning- sets of 8 for the first few weeks, sets of 6 for the next few weeks... and so on.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:21 am

10/8/17 KUA Week 1, Deadlift

Deadlift 395x10 @8? I gave these an @8 based on speed and form, but I pretty much died after the set. I'm sure that factors into RPE somehow.

355x 4, 4, 4, 4 @EZPZ. I'm doing 90% of my top set for 4x4 on deadlifts because I'm not accustomed to any sort of pulling volume. The idea being as the weeks progress I will condition to the higher volume by the time the sets approach @7-8.

Horizontal Pull Ups x 7, 7, 7, 7

Front Squat 225x 5, 5, 5. Deadlifts whooped me. My knee hurts. I hate front squats.

Dragon Flops x 6, 4. Never tried these before and I was expecting them to be impossible. You can see the smug look of self satisfaction on my face after the first set.

Review of the footage showed A LOT more hip hinge than I was perceiving, and I was keeping mid back contact with the bench vs upper back. So I cleaned it up a little on the second set.

I kept the weight more on my upper back but I'm still cheating on the concentric. Also, shifting the fulcrum from mid to upper back puts much more force on my arms and bench. I think I'll stick with my form on the first set; I believe more cheaty reps are better than a few super strict reps with regards to abzzzorzzzzzzzzzz.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:38 am

When I ran KUA, I started with a weight I could do for ~10 reps with moderate confidence. That was my TM. My first week, depending on my previous programming, was 90% of that- I started with a deload. My top set used the TM, my 4x4 was 80% of my TM. I settled on extending the sets if the 4x4 was only around @5-6, and if I got to 6 sets I would make that 6th set an AMRAP. I moved my TM up by 10lbs on lower body lifts and 5lbs on upper lifts each week, taking the deload or not. My 4x4 went up 5lbs and 2.5lbs each week, regardless of light week. I think I settled on no volume AMRAP for deadlifts, just the top set AMRAP. I did it the way I did partly because it took a little less time, since you don't have to change anything around for assistance work.

broseph
High Fiber

Re:

Post by broseph » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:42 am

10/10/17 KUA Week 1, Press

Press 165x11 @UnKnowablePressRPE. Gun to my head I'd say @9.

150x 8, 8, 8, 8 @8. I'm not too afraid of a higher RPE on the press. Small muscles, faster recovery and all that. Plus I'm still a little toasted from Bench day.

Paused Bench 265x 6, 6, 6 @7. Hard to gauge difficulty on paused stuff.

EZ Curlz 160.5x 8, 8, 8.

Lying Tricep Extension 68x 8, 8, 8. SUPER light weight here because my elbows hate all tricep-targeting exercises. I did them more like bent arm pullovers with elbow extension at the end, which keeps the elbow angles more obtuse. Plan is to increase the reps to 12 and start adding weight from there.

Allentown wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:38 am When I ran KUA, I started with a weight I could do for ~10 reps with moderate confidence. That was my TM. My first week, depending on my previous programming, was 90% of that- I started with a deload. My top set used the TM, my 4x4 was 80% of my TM. I settled on extending the sets if the 4x4 was only around @5-6, and if I got to 6 sets I would make that 6th set an AMRAP. I moved my TM up by 10lbs on lower body lifts and 5lbs on upper lifts each week, taking the deload or not. My 4x4 went up 5lbs and 2.5lbs each week, regardless of light week. I think I settled on no volume AMRAP for deadlifts, just the top set AMRAP. I did it the way I did partly because it took a little less time, since you don't have to change anything around for assistance work.
That makes sense. I probably should have either taken a deload or lowered Les's percentages for the final week and backtracked from there. Short of a miracle, I will probably start failing around week 8 (95%x4). I'll just keep the top set @9 or less and finish out the 13 weeks however I have to. And if those top sets become singles I'll take a bigger offset for the drop sets, etc...

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Re:

Post by Allentown » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:55 am

broseph wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:42 am That makes sense. I probably should have either taken a deload or lowered Les's percentages for the final week and backtracked from there. Short of a miracle, I will probably start failing around week 8 (95%x4). I'll just keep the top set @9 or less and finish out the 13 weeks however I have to. And if those top sets become singles I'll take a bigger offset for the drop sets, etc...
Failing to hit 8 reps? I would probably reset before it becomes singles on the top set, I've learned grinding out heavy singles @10 isn't ideal. What I like about KUA is that it is kind of a slide from high volume low intensity hypertrophy focus to low volume high intensity strength focus. It just hides it all, and tricks you into having fun by hitting exhausting rep ranges and assistance work.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:04 am

Allentown wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:55 am
broseph wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:42 am That makes sense. I probably should have either taken a deload or lowered Les's percentages for the final week and backtracked from there. Short of a miracle, I will probably start failing around week 8 (95%x4). I'll just keep the top set @9 or less and finish out the 13 weeks however I have to. And if those top sets become singles I'll take a bigger offset for the drop sets, etc...
Failing to hit 8 reps? I would probably reset before it becomes singles on the top set, I've learned grinding out heavy singles @10 isn't ideal. What I like about KUA is that it is kind of a slide from high volume low intensity hypertrophy focus to low volume high intensity strength focus. It just hides it all, and tricks you into having fun by hitting exhausting rep ranges and assistance work.
I probably explained it wrong... Week 8 is 4 reps+ at 95%. THAT'S where I plan to fail. And by "fail" I just mean "I'll get less than 4 reps, but keep the set @9." I'll tweak the back off sets however I have to to keep them @8 or less. Me no likey the grindy.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:06 am

I'd have to check my books, but I think I was still hitting 6+ reps into week 9 or something silly.

broseph
High Fiber

Re:

Post by broseph » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:11 am

Allentown wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:06 am I'd have to check my books, but I think I was still hitting 6+ reps into week 9 or something silly.
You and your GD reps. No wonder you love this program.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 am

broseph wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:11 am
Allentown wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:06 am I'd have to check my books, but I think I was still hitting 6+ reps into week 9 or something silly.
You and your GD reps. No wonder you love this program.
I kind of want to see how many front squats @ BW I can do in 15min. That's one way to kill yourself in short order...

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:01 am

10/11/17 KUA Week 1 Squat

Squat 360x10 @8. Again, definitely a couple reps left in the tank. But it took me 12 minutes to recover my composure.

325x 8, 8, 8, 8 @cardio. Brb installing an oxygen bar in the weight room, but not before checking serial troponins. Seriously, I hereby vow to think about maybe doing cardio sometimes.

Chins +90x 5, 5
BW x 15. Les suggests doing 2 different back exercises after a billion deadlift reps on deadlift day, but I spread it out to 2 days.

Abwheel x 20, 20, 20

Note: Squat depth was borderline today due to some recurring knee stuff.

Allentown wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 am I kind of want to see how many front squats @ BW I can do in 15min. That's one way to kill yourself in short order...
That would absolutely literally kill me. Just before dying and detaching from my body, my legs would release enough myoglobin to cause my kidneys to explode. That on top of the myocardial infarction would certainly do me in. But now I want to see you do it.

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:22 am

Nice Job! I look forward to seeing how you do.

I think you are tackling things correctly. For example, if you hit 3 reps on the week you are supposed to hit 4 (especially the second week), it is all good because you are moving to 2's shortly after that. If you are within a rep, I think you are going to be ok. Everyone is different on how they handle intensity, but a couple weeks of doubles normally primes me good enough to get a few nice singles out. As for the 4x4 drop sets, I mentioned a few different methods because I had used them all at one time or another. My last run on KUA 2.0 I did my drop sets based off RPE to get more volume in. But if I had a week where I was totally wrecked, I would just hit the requisite 4x4 and call it a day. I also normally used a variation of the lift for drop sets, but on my current program I am just going down 10% but doing the same lift. My program isn't KUA exactly, but it is a top set/drop set model that is similar with all the assistance work.

Speaking of that, you can slowly acclimate yourself to the assistance work if you need to. You don't need to hammer it all on week 1. And again, if I ever have a shitty day for whatever reason, I may skip an assistance exercise or two here and there. In the end, it all works out.

Best of luck! What kind of PR's are you shooting for?

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:25 pm

Les wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:22 am Nice Job! I look forward to seeing how you do.

I think you are tackling things correctly. For example, if you hit 3 reps on the week you are supposed to hit 4 (especially the second week), it is all good because you are moving to 2's shortly after that. If you are within a rep, I think you are going to be ok. Everyone is different on how they handle intensity, but a couple weeks of doubles normally primes me good enough to get a few nice singles out. As for the 4x4 drop sets, I mentioned a few different methods because I had used them all at one time or another. My last run on KUA 2.0 I did my drop sets based off RPE to get more volume in. But if I had a week where I was totally wrecked, I would just hit the requisite 4x4 and call it a day. I also normally used a variation of the lift for drop sets, but on my current program I am just going down 10% but doing the same lift. My program isn't KUA exactly, but it is a top set/drop set model that is similar with all the assistance work.

Speaking of that, you can slowly acclimate yourself to the assistance work if you need to. You don't need to hammer it all on week 1. And again, if I ever have a shitty day for whatever reason, I may skip an assistance exercise or two here and there. In the end, it all works out.

Best of luck! What kind of PR's are you shooting for?
Hey- thanks for stopping by!

Sounds like I'm on the right track. The assistance work really is not much more than I was doing previously- I just like complaining about it. And the top set plus 4 drop sets is accomplishing my previous weekly squat tonnage in 1 day, so that will take a little getting used to.

I squatted 500x1 and deadlifted 545 before cutting some fat this summer, and I'm *this* close to benching 405 touch and go. So short term goals are to get my squat back up to 500, pause 405, and gain more quality bodyweight. I don't have a deadlift number in mind, but I'm really excited to put more focus into it. Previously it was kind of an afterthought on my way to a 500 squat.

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:54 pm

Awesome. I think you should demolish your old squat PR if you are already doing 360x10. :-)

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:15 am

broseph wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:01 am 10/11/17 KUA Week 1 Squat

Squat 360x10 @8.
Awesome. I think you will beat my 10RM, if you can keep it up (and if I am remembering my PR correctly)
broseph wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:01 am Seriously, I hereby vow to think about maybe doing cardio sometimes.
I totally think prowler work is very good for all-around training. I liked slotting it in after squats and DL, or if just one then after DL.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:38 am

Allentown wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:15 am Awesome. I think you will beat my 10RM, if you can keep it up (and if I am remembering my PR correctly)
My old 10 rep PR is 370. Even though I hate higher reps, I think I'm good at them. Which is actually just saying I'm bad at 1RM's. Like saying I'm really good at letting the other team win when I play online shooters.
I totally think prowler work is very good for all-around training. I liked slotting it in after squats and DL, or if just one then after DL.
I'm not as ballsy as you (work filter allows "ballsy"?). I'm embarrassed enough about how much shirtless yardwork in sub-70°F weather I do. Pushing a loud implement in the road (obviously shirtless) would just be too much.

I have an idea for some cheap DYI farmers handles though, and there's room in my backyard for a shirtless 40 yard walk. What's your heaviest farmers walk compared to your deadlift? The way I'm thinking of building these, they would only be loadable to ~175# each.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:05 am

Right now, 170lbs of plates on each 20lb handle for 40y. Back when I was DL >550, I'd done a few 140lb walks, but don't know that I could have gotten more than that back then. I've been using them far more regularly recently though, as they don't seem to bother my back. It's a totally different feel, though- 90lb prowler sprints are far more brutal than 320lb farmers carries.

broseph
High Fiber

Re:

Post by broseph » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:37 am

10/12/17 Cardio

C2, damper @8
25:00
4950 m

These number include a very brief warmup and a very long cool down, with a heart rate 125-135 during the actual work portion. I bought this cheapo heart rate monitor (when it was only $20) and it works for real time feedback, but I think the AVG function works on something like a running 1 minute average instead of a per session average.
Allentown wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:05 am Right now, 170lbs of plates on each 20lb handle for 40y. Back when I was DL >550, I'd done a few 140lb walks, but don't know that I could have gotten more than that back then. I've been using them far more regularly recently though, as they don't seem to bother my back. It's a totally different feel, though- 90lb prowler sprints are far more brutal than 320lb farmers carries.
"less brutal" is right up my alley. Even though more intense conditioning would no doubt help my interset recovery, I think doing cardio at the other end of the spectrum is probably better for my personality (lazy). And I have to think that some LISS is better than nothing.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:49 am

10/14/17 KUA Week 2 Bench

Bodyweight 215. I think I finally tipped the scales from maintain to gain, and I'm theorizing that the initial tip results in fuller glycogen stores- even in the morning after fasting (sleeping). More glycogen=more water, plus more daily sodium (incidental from eating so much), more gut contents on average.... What I'm saying is I didn't actually gain 3 lbs of flesh in 8 days. At least I hope not.

Bench 307.5x 10 @9... I listen to really weird music.

275x 8, 8, 8, 8 @8

Press 165x 6, 6, 6 @7

Close Grip Bench 265x 6, 6, 6 @7

Standing Barbel Humps (aka BB curlz) 110x 15, 15, 15

Musings: As the rep pendulum swings from sets of 8 to sets of 2 over the course of KUA, I intend to swing my assistance reps in the opposite direction. So during this wave of 8's for the main lifts I've been doing ~6's for the assistance work. By the time I get to 2's on the main lifts I will be doing ~12 reps on the assistance (with lighter weights- I'm obviously not planning on doubling my rep strength for each lift).