Deadlift shoes

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Re: Deadlift shoes

Post by BostonRugger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:08 pm

Les wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:23 pm
Coming to the dark side I see! :-)
Haha, I don’t think there’s any hate flowing through me. Perhaps a bit of butthurt.

I benefited greatly from learning the lifts as described in The Book and running LP. Lately though I’ve been seeing some considerable strength gains from doing things that are way outside of the old StSt playbook i.e. pulling in flats, rpe...VOLUME. It’s made me a bit grumpy about the time I wasted by not opening myself up to more sources of information and diversity of thought.

Also I didn’t know you posted non-kitten memes. I guess we all can change.

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:09 am

I use the Reebok power shoe for deads too, with the insole removed.

Better for me than lifting barefoot and stubbing my toes on loose plates and stuff.
I will not deadlift in heeled shoes.
( I do like walking around barefoot, tho. )

But like the others here say, try different things and see what works for you.
There is always at least 144 perfect ways of doing anything.

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:13 am

I tried DLs today in my Vibrams. Wow, they are tough to get on with sweaty feet.

I like them more than the squat shoes, for sure. I'm going to stick with them for now, since I already have them and they were just gathering dust in the bottom of the closet.

But, I could only get 1 rep of today's weight of 160#, anyway. I think I might have had a 2nd rep in me, but gave up too soon because I don't have any practice grinding out tough deadlifts... But still. Not 5 reps. I guess it might be time for 2.5# jumps on the DL. And/or 3 sets of 2 instead of 1 set of 5. :( Was hoping to get more weight on the bar before I had to do that.

Maybe I am doing something wrong with my form...

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:53 am

The change in shoes is probably enough to make things feel "off".

I'd never advise doing 2.5lbs jumps on DL. Daily variance of being human is greater than that. Move it over to a different scheme. Maybe time for a little more pulling volume as well?

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:28 am

mgil wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:53 am The change in shoes is probably enough to make things feel "off".

I'd never advise doing 2.5lbs jumps on DL. Daily variance of being human is greater than that. Move it over to a different scheme. Maybe time for a little more pulling volume as well?
What would you suggest for more volume? Like 3x3?

I'm so confused. I don't know if I'm over-fatigued and that's why I'm struggling with DLs or if I'm not doing enough and therefore not getting stronger.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:43 am

laikabear wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:28 am
mgil wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:53 am The change in shoes is probably enough to make things feel "off".

What would you suggest for more volume? Like 3x3?

I'm so confused. I don't know if I'm over-fatigued and that's why I'm struggling with DLs or if I'm not doing enough and therefore not getting stronger.
This is always hard to figure out!

3x3 would be a good taste of additional volume, since you can pull 3 at your last 1x5 weight for 3 sets and nearly double the volume without incurring as much inflammation. If that doesn't respond, then things get trickier.

Chebass88
Big E

Post by Chebass88 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:25 pm

laikabear wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:13 am I tried DLs today in my Vibrams. Wow, they are tough to get on with sweaty feet.

I like them more than the squat shoes, for sure. I'm going to stick with them for now, since I already have them and they were just gathering dust in the bottom of the closet.

But, I could only get 1 rep of today's weight of 160#, anyway. I think I might have had a 2nd rep in me, but gave up too soon because I don't have any practice grinding out tough deadlifts... But still. Not 5 reps. I guess it might be time for 2.5# jumps on the DL. And/or 3 sets of 2 instead of 1 set of 5. :( Was hoping to get more weight on the bar before I had to do that.

Sure - if you've met the number of reps at a given weight, you've earned the opportunity for an increase. If you cannot do the set completely (e.g., doing singles instead of a set of five), sure, you can increase the weight, but you've changed both the programming and the loading. I would keep the weight the same and make sure I nail the number of reps before increasing the weight.

There is nothing wrong with doing multiple sets of doubles or triples in lieu of sets of five. Doing three perfect doubles is far superior to doing a mediocre or shoddy set of five. If you decide to pursue that option, make every rep perfect, and nail all reps/sets before increasing the weight.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:45 pm

I'm betting it's the change in shoe - it's only a small difference but it massively changes the feel of the pull, and it may take you a few sessions to get into it.

also, I think your puppy may be sick, he's hardly moving at all.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:52 pm

I wear my Nano 7s pulling.
I bought them before my romys on the recommendation that they were a good kind of all purpose lifting shoe.
I took the insoles out.
I'm not interested in slippers, and am following a self imposed moratorium on spending on weight stuff for as long as possible, so i'm definitely not buying a shoe just to deadlift in.
I like them a lot actually.
They are super grippy too. I'll be interested to see how that works for bench on the carpet at my USAPL meet.
I've heard it can be quite slippery sometimes.

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Chebass88 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:25 pm
Sure - if you've met the number of reps at a given weight, you've earned the opportunity for an increase. If you cannot do the set completely (e.g., doing singles instead of a set of five), sure, you can increase the weight, but you've changed both the programming and the loading. I would keep the weight the same and make sure I nail the number of reps before increasing the weight.

There is nothing wrong with doing multiple sets of doubles or triples in lieu of sets of five. Doing three perfect doubles is far superior to doing a mediocre or shoddy set of five. If you decide to pursue that option, make every rep perfect, and nail all reps/sets before increasing the weight.
I think I'm going to drop back to 150#, try to get 3x3, and then work my way back up...

At first I thought you were saying that my 135x5 set in that video was so slow that it's actually 5 singles. That may be true... I do need to do the setup each time. I can't just put the weight down in the right spot and pick it right up again like some folks do.

I definitely want to DL with good form, because I don't want to hurt myself. Did the ones on the video look ok?

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:19 pm

laikabear wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:13 pm
Chebass88 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:25 pm

I think I'm going to drop back to 150#, try to get 3x3, and then work my way back up...

At first I thought you were saying that my 135x5 set in that video was so slow that it's actually 5 singles. That may be true... I do need to do the setup each time. I can't just put the weight down in the right spot and pick it right up again like some folks do.

I definitely want to DL with good form, because I don't want to hurt myself. Did the ones on the video look ok?
I don’t see anything injurious here. The only way to perform a really ‘risky’ deadlift is to pull with a rounded lumbar spine. I see you actively putting your chest forward (can also be thought of as ‘shoulders back’ before the pull. Do that more/harder.

I also think that you’re starting with the bar too far forward. That’s why the first thing that happens when you pick it up is that the bar swings in toward your shins. Make sure the bar is over the middle of your foot when you start, about an inch to an inch and a half from your shin while standing up straight. Then keep it in contact with your legs all the way through the pull.

Like Very Strong Deadlifter CheBass88, I’d also recommend keeping your hands on the bar through the whole set. If you keep the bar on your legs the whole way down as well, you’ll get more consistent placement.

Fear not! Pull hard! Keep up the good work and post another video next time you lift.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:49 am

laikabear wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:13 pm I do need to do the setup each time. I can't just put the weight down in the right spot and pick it right up again like some folks do.
If i'm saying anything way off base here, hopefully people will correct me.

You can still "reset" while staying hands on bar and feet placed where you started. I believe that's almost standard practice.
That's different than touch and go where you stay tight and pull again immediately, but you'll still be repping a lot faster than doing a 100% complete let go and stand up reset
I can only comment on how i do that.
i raise my hips to take another big breath, drop hips back down into position getting tight, pull the bar with my lats back again etc...
There may be people who get another breath etc without raising their hips. I simply haven't stored that detail in my mind.
The idea is the same though, just taking a very short moment to get a breath and reset, getting tight again while staying basically in position between reps.

I just wanted to bring this up because i couldn't tell for sure what you were saying you couldn't do.
I have not yet been able to rep in the touch and go style myself.
I hear it can be highly beneficial, but afaik, it's a little bit more of an advanced technique.

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:58 am

If I may comment a little too, feel free to ignore...

When you start the lift your hips go upwards more than your shoulders.
If you try to make your shoulders go up together ( at the same speed ) with your hips at the beginning of the lift it will feel easier.

And I would try to do the lift in reverse, only faster, when you drop the bar down to the floor again.
Keep your back tight when you lower the bar.

( ok, so sometimes I wish I was better at describing procedures in English )

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:03 am

LexAnderson wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:14 am @omaniphil I keep my insoles in, never liked them out. But that's just me I guess.
I just bought a pair of Vans "pro skate" for deadlifting. These come with a removable insert so its quite easy to take out. Another good shoe with a removable insert is the Adidas Superstar Vulc that is made for skateboarding.

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:27 am

I am slowly starting to think about removing the heel from a pair of lifting shoes.
I know several of our esteemed members have done something like that.
Time will show.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:33 am

slowmotion wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:27 am I am slowly starting to think about removing the heel from a pair of lifting shoes.
I know several of our esteemed members have done something like that.
Time will show.
#flats4life

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:35 am

Yeah, something like that.

DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:51 pm

laikabear wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:13 am I tried DLs today in my Vibrams. Wow, they are tough to get on with sweaty feet.

The idea that flats should improve my DL (which I thought it would) hasn't worked for me. Don't fully understand it, but I'd take @mgil's advice on the programming.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:54 pm

DoctorWho wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:51 pm

The idea that flats should improve my DL (which I thought it would) hasn't worked for me. Don't fully understand it, but I'd take @mgil's advice on the programming.
Some of this depends on the quality of the flats you’re using.

DoctorWho

Post by DoctorWho » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:00 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:54 pm
DoctorWho wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:51 pm

Some of this depends on the quality of the flats you’re using.
I was just using socks. I felt stable with regular deadlift, but just setting up in sumo to try it out didn't feel right at all.