All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Re: Training Forum Quotes HERE

Post by Hanley » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:41 am

damufunman wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:27 am
SpinyNorman wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:49 am
Hanley wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:28 am Dude. Fatigue management over multiple sessions. To maximize "hard sets" over - say -a week, the rhythm of stress & fatigue has to be perfectly balanced. That is -- the quality of acute and longer term fatigue from sessions needs to be considered & organized.
I think this pretty much sums up why I couldn't program for myself worth a shit.
Was this a DM? Can't find above quote to bug @Hanley about it.
Bug away, Bruv.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:33 pm

I assume the rhythm of stress & fatigue is the reasoning behind an HLM setupBBM pushes for more of an MMM distribution of stress in order to be able to apply the maximum amount of stress continually, as I understand it. Is there a practical difference, or just different approaches to applying training stress?

cwd

Post by cwd » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:34 am

Hanley wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:48 am
Murelli wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:44 am What if I told you...

That many of the people who "don't make much post novice gains" are actually trying to shed that pile of unnecessary fat they've added to their frames during a DTFP StStLP? (It me!)
Yeah, good point. If you start at 15-20% and end up over 25%, you've kinda fucked yourself and will have to do some damage control.
Monoides wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:25 am Every novice program should basically come with a giant disclaimer reading 'IF IT STOPS WORKING AFTER 8 WEEKS + IT MEANS YOU DID IT RIGHT, JUST MOVE ON ALREADY.'

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:26 am

Hanley wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:02 am
mgil wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:42 amThat’s ultimately the problem with using the barbell as a philosophical device and analog for virtue as opposed to an implement to simply get stronger.
I love this
I’m quoting myself through @Hanley, who’s soul is undeniably (maybe @EricK’s too) at the heart of this statement.

Reason why I was writing that is because when people endow the barbell and/or barbell training (other training as well) with some version of virtue or morals or whatever, it leads them to make mistakes in their training like failing lifts. It takes away the analytical aspect of getting stronger and makes it some weird value system if not a faith-based system.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:28 am

nealstar wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:27 pm
GlasgowJock wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:12 pm
cwd wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:59 am I'm trying to learn how to not constantly overtrain right now.

Taking a very light week as I was hurting and regressing. I basically never do this. Wish me luck.
Surprised to read this mate, why do you feel that is?
CamLeslie wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:10 pm Can you give an example of a pivot week vs randomly light week? Asking for a friend.
Curious myself as I'm doing a "light" week and wondering if it was a "pivot" week in this weeks vernacular.
I can tell you what I did that didn't work well, and what seems to be working better.

What didn't work was saying "I'll just stop doing the main movements for a week or two and do 3X10 on some basically random shit at an arbitrary low RPE in a vaguely full body lay-out." I did use some RTS guidance about pivot duration being 1/3 of the prior block length, and used this article as a rough guide towards movement selection: https://articles.reactivetrainingsystem ... on-blocks/

At the beginning of the next block, I ended up getting DOMS so bad that I wasn't recovered by the beginning of the 2nd cycle, and basically had a downturn in performance while I got re-acclimated to the movements and the volume.

What seems to be working better is:
  1. A slight reduction in work sets per movement pattern compared to the prior and following block
  2. A slight reduction in RPE compared to the prior and following block
  3. An total rep load that is an average between the prior and following block
  4. Keeping the main movements in, but:
    1. artificially reducing the absolute intensity with things like tempo work, and
    2. taking half their volume and allocating it to compound supplemental and accessory movements like split squats and JM presses.
  5. Many of the supplemental and accessory movements were chosen to help "prep" for heavier novel movements to be used in the following block. For example, I'm using Front Squats in my current block, but hadn't done them in a long time. So when I decided to use half of my squat volume on single-leg work, I chose front racked split squats so I could get used to the rack position.
  6. I'm still adding some additional movements in based on that RTS article, but I can't speculate on what effect that might be having.
I'm at the end of the first cycle of the new block, and I have no DOMS issues interfering with performance intra- or inter-session. The main movements feel like they have a "greased groove," and the e1RMs are starting off much closer to where they were in the middle of the last block. What remains to be seen is if my performance plateaus any sooner which might indicate that I did too much in the pivot.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat May 11, 2019 7:06 am

Saw this post on IG and thought I should post it here:

BenM

Post by BenM » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:36 pm

From Andy Baker on Facebook, thought it was worth a mention here as well:
It's hard to get strong without being stupid at least 10% of the time.

DCR

Post by DCR » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:35 am

broseph wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:59 am If you’re sick of tying flies, go slam some bass. If you’re getting fat, injured, and frustrated trying to add 5 pounds to your squat, go do some bodybuilding or calisthenics. Enjoy your fucking hobby, idiot.

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:42 am

Renascent wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:42 am Please don't come visit or look for me at the market. If you need a human hydraulic lift, send for me by smoke signal or send a raven.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:08 am

GeorgeC wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:29 pm
Allentown wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:49 amDo what I do- combine at least 3 of those, preferably ones with opposing objectives, using the structure of a 4th, wildly different, program. Then when that fails to produce results after 17 days, switch to a new program, vow to DTFP, but the moment someone posts a "Race To XXXX" challenge add in at least two days of training dedicated toward that challenge without reducing any of the work you vowed to do in TFP. Then get sick, injure yourself outside the gym, get embarrassed by the status of one of your lifts, and pick a new program. Change out most of the lifts in that new program, while also splitting 2 of the sessions into 4 and rolling bits of all the sessions into those 4 sessions. And also take up running.
This is like one of those fun house mirrors. It may not be exactly what any of us look like, but it ain't exactly somebody else either.
I felt that in my bones.

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:16 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:17 am Balance is something that seems to be lost in the internet era where people identify as "powerlifters" or "bodybuilders" or "strongmen" or whatever. What happen to just being relatively lean, have some decent muscularity and strength, and respectable cardio (aka being "in shape"). If you do not actively compete in those sports you are not any of those things, you are a meathead, like the rest of us.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:33 am

MarkKO wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:44 pm As soon as you're in the gym, you're on the clock. If you're not breathing hard, you're moving too slowly.