"changing business circumstances"

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

unruhschuh
Männlicher Photoshop-Experte

"changing business circumstances"

Post by unruhschuh » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:11 am

E&P Rules
Due to changing business circumstances, we have created new forum conduct policies, which are prominently pasted at the top of every forum and are effective as of 9/6/17. These policies were created as an alternative to a paysite, which has been under serious consideration for over a year. The policies are expected to be followed.
What are the "changing business circumstances"? Does anybody know?

omaniphil

Re: "changing business circumstances"

Post by omaniphil » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:44 am

If I had to guess, I would imagine that they're trying for broader appeal, rather than just narrowcasting as they have in the past. As they grow, they'll probably try to get recognized as an 'official' certification authority, recognized by state regulatory boards and etc. Protecting their 'brand' and making it clear to all you might be interested, or who want to discredit, fact check, etc, that there is an official "SS approved position" on a variety of topics probably led to them cleaning out E&P, and getting rid of dissenting voices. Also, if there were a large influx of new readers, I could see people being turned off by some what went on in E&P. I appreciated the humor, and understood that people were having fun, but using my mother as an example, who is in her 70s, having finally convinced her to go become a client of Sully, I'd be afraid of her logging on to the forum, wandering down to E&P, and getting completely turned off from SS due to the language and what not.

I can understand why they did it, but I'm sad it happened, and I don't feel like that other place is home anymore. I still respect the SS product, and will probably continue to take part in the strengthlifting meets, go to see SSCs from time to time, but I don't need to belong to that community. A lot of the community voices that I respected, learned from, and enjoyed reading are here, and so this is where I will make my home.

unruhschuh

Post by unruhschuh » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:35 am

I would guess, that there is some pressure from the growing number of SSCs, some of which quit their day jobs to become full time strength coaches. They certainly have an interest in being represented by a somewhat 'clean' organization in order to sustain long term success. Kind of ironic, that the head of the organization is himself a bit of a foul mouth, though :lol:

The sad thing is, the SS forums where quite entertaining, which kept me reading even if I didn't have any lingering questions about training. That is no longer the case.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:57 am

It's time to sell some goddamned badges!

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:55 am

mgil wrote:It's time to sell some goddamned badges!
Reported for triggering!

Really, this sums it up. They've gone from selling "strength training" to selling "lifestyle". And when you are trying to teach people how to live you can't let the discussion fall off the rails.

Remember that SSCs are probably trying to keep Rip on the right track too, so they don't suffer from his PR (public relations, you fools) misshandlings.

GregoryDomnin

Post by GregoryDomnin » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:08 am

He's full of it. Look in the Rippening thread and see Chris's explanation.

I and Shaymus were banned and we did not violate any of the new rules. And foul language is still going on down in E&P. sooo why aren't those people banned, when it is now against the rules to use vulgarity.

It makes sense to clean the place up, but the timing and way it is being conducted shows it has nothing to do with business.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:54 am

GregoryDomnin wrote:He's full of it. Look in the Rippening thread and see Chris's explanation.

I and Shaymus were banned and we did not violate any of the new rules. And foul language is still going on down in E&P. sooo why aren't those people banned, when it is now against the rules to use vulgarity.

It makes sense to clean the place up, but the timing and way it is being conducted shows it has nothing to do with business.
You and shaymus were the two most egregious, that I saw anyway.

ETA: egregious, as in, arbitrary an capricious banning, not your behavior.(s)

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:18 pm

Murelli wrote:Remember that SSCs are probably trying to keep Rip on the right track too, so they don't suffer from his PR (public relations, you fools) misshandlings.
I would think that this would've happened with some prior PR mishandlings, e.g., that time he posted an email conversation with a private individual who suggested he-- if not directly ban sexist and misogynist talk on his forum-- at least discourage that kind of discussion. I know for sure that turned away more than one female semi-regular poster. I imagine that many more would-be posters were completely turned off. I would not be surprised if a discussion occurred internally among SSC as well.

No, I suspect it doesn't have much to do with business. Or if it is, it's certainly not the only reason why the most recent Rippening occurred.

ColoWayno

Post by ColoWayno » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:21 pm

If Bill Been visited my account page, does this mean the Eye of Mordor was scanning me?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:27 pm

ColoWayno wrote:If Bill Been visited my account page, does this mean the Eye of Mordor was scanning me?
good catch.

Mine is funny . . a lot of "blanks" between two commas. Are those banned people, or visitors.
No SSC's or Beens in mine.

I do see Mark Rippetoe visited Mikey's profile page.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:33 pm

mbasic wrote:Mine is funny . . a lot of "blanks" between two commas. Are those banned people, or visitors.
I noticed a lot of , , as well. But it shows up after every person, so maybe just a glitch in the matrix, who knows?

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:34 pm

chromoly wrote:
mbasic wrote:Mine is funny . . a lot of "blanks" between two commas. Are those banned people, or visitors.
I noticed a lot of , , as well. But it shows up after every person, so maybe just a glitch in the matrix, who knows?
Yeah, I think it's a programming error.

ColoWayno

Post by ColoWayno » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:34 pm

They may have stopped the mass purging of posts because it was breaking the forum.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:36 pm

ColoWayno wrote:They may have stopped the mass purging of posts because it was breaking the forum.
I was thinking the same. Funny if true.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:58 pm

mbasic wrote:
Such an honor.

ColoWayno

Post by ColoWayno » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:05 pm

mikeylikey wrote:
mbasic wrote:
Such an honor.
I see you are active on the rules committee over there. What is having all that power like?

unruhschuh

Post by unruhschuh » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:25 pm

The forum software they are using produces static HTML files from the database. This saves CPU time as well as bandwidth. If you delete a post in the database, it is still visible in the thread. The software now has to regenerate all the HTML files of The thread. This can take a long time if you delete thousands of posts at once and lead to weired errors.

phpBB generates the HTML files on the fly Everytime you click on a thread (it might be smarter than that, but these are the basics of it).

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

Post by d0uevenlift » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:04 pm

unruhschuh wrote:phpBB generates the HTML files on the fly Everytime you click on a thread (it might be smarter than that, but these are the basics of it).
Also, it's free and vBulletin has gone to shit.
mikeylikey wrote: Such an honor.
He visited mine, too. #urnotspecial

Well, we have this place now, guys and gals. There is no business here but strength and training chatter, so you'll never have to worry about being banned for disagreeing with us on lifting technique, programming, or politics. Unless you're a nazi.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:39 pm

GregoryDomnin wrote:He's full of it. Look in the Rippening thread and see Chris's explanation.

Vulgarity is not against the new rules. It's not mentioned once, and DirtyRed remains unbanned, in spite of copious amounts of less than refined language, even in the fucking Q&A.
chromoly wrote:I would think that this would've happened with some prior PR mishandlings, e.g., that time he posted an email conversation with a private individual who suggested he-- if not directly ban sexist and misogynist talk on his forum-- at least discourage that kind of discussion. I know for sure that turned away more than one female semi-regular poster. I imagine that many more would-be posters were completely turned off. I would not be surprised if a discussion occurred internally among SSC as well.
And what, pray tell, constituted "sexist and misogynist talk"? Is mentioning that women are fucking horrible and speed and power, and only SLIGHTLY less godawful and strength, not okay?
d0uevenlift wrote:Well, we have this place now, guys and gals. There is no business here but strength and training chatter, so you'll never have to worry about being banned for disagreeing with us on lifting technique, programming, or politics. Unless you're a nazi.
But communism is objectively the greater evil, and this board is filled with pinko fucks (read: people who disagree with me).
Last edited by DirtyRed on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:09 am

I looked at my profile and was sad that torrrrrrr hadn't visited my profile. But a few dudes who I'd never seen had. Odd.

All that matters is that DR and I chatted in DMs on Instagram and exchanged dickpics.