Grillroteca

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

iamsmu

Re: Grillroteca

Post by iamsmu » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:14 am

Emus prefer starting the coals on the grill grate.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:39 am

Searching the thread yielded no results... so I will raise the question...

Anybody here using a pellet grill? I'm considering adding/replacing a grill at some point and I'm leaning more and more towards a pellet. Buddy of mine swears by his Green Mountain. Biggest hang up is that I would have to get used to it living in the gym garage because all the electronics are probably not robust enough to survive a WNY winter. Not that it being stored in my gym garage doesn't have some advantage like grilling burgers between sets. There's the whole 'can't grill with the power out' thing, but I'd still have my old gas grill up on the deck for those occasions.

DonaldFagen

Post by DonaldFagen » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:27 pm

mouse wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:39 am Searching the thread yielded no results... so I will raise the question...

Anybody here using a pellet grill? I'm considering adding/replacing a grill at some point and I'm leaning more and more towards a pellet. Buddy of mine swears by his Green Mountain. Biggest hang up is that I would have to get used to it living in the gym garage because all the electronics are probably not robust enough to survive a WNY winter. Not that it being stored in my gym garage doesn't have some advantage like grilling burgers between sets. There's the whole 'can't grill with the power out' thing, but I'd still have my old gas grill up on the deck for those occasions.
I'm obsessed with my Traeger. Went from Charcoal to propane to this and I'll never go back. The wifi connectivity is amazing and prevents me from ruining meat when I get too busy with work or home life. The cook is thorough, it keeps its temperature and it's easy to clean and maintain.

I ship in elk meat from the midwest and the Traeger has changed my whole outlook on cooking meat and enjoying the process. If you have patience, wait til around Labor Day and head to your local Ace Hardware and buy a Pro 575 or 780 with WiFire capabilities on a big discount.

Like SS, they have their legions of haters online - but in this case, I just don't get why they hate the company.

Here's a recent elk backstrap cook with jalapeños and sweet potatoes. The "Joe Rogan" special.

EDIT: On the power/weather thing, I leave mine outside all winter covered. I cooked this winter in 8º cold. It worked perfectly.

Last edited by DonaldFagen on Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PC

Post by PC » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:41 pm

mouse wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:39 am Searching the thread yielded no results... so I will raise the question...

Sounds like you need a generator to go with your grill.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:59 am

PC wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:41 pm Sounds like you need a generator to go with your grill.
I mean you're not wrong. We don't go through a lot of outages around me but I really should get a genny...
DonaldFagen wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:27 pm EDIT: On the power/weather thing, I leave mine outside all winter covered. I cooked this winter in 8º cold. It worked perfectly.
*scratches chin with great consideration*

I honestly don't know if I could bring myself to be comfy with the risk, especially if I invested in a Traeger haha. Much to consider but thanks for the info. My one hang up has been that (apparently) pellet grills are notoriously bad at searing steak... but internet consensus seems to be that https://www.grillgrate.com/ helps that...

DonaldFagen

Post by DonaldFagen » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:59 am

mouse wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:59 am*

I honestly don't know if I could bring myself to be comfy with the risk, especially if I invested in a Traeger haha. Much to consider but thanks for the info. My one hang up has been that (apparently) pellet grills are notoriously bad at searing steak... but internet consensus seems to be that https://www.grillgrate.com/ helps that...
If it's inside the garage, even at colder external temps than I experience here, you'll be in a better spot than me. My grill has never been inside. It often will do a "cold weather start" when it's under 40º. They prepared it for cold. Plus you can get one of these blankets for it, too: https://www.traegergrills.com/accessori ... -20-series

On the searing, when I do elks or filet - I cook at 225º until internal temp is 132º. I then take them off, put them in foil for 10 mins or so, and put cast iron pan in the grill and crank it to 500º to sear. The steaks come out perfectly every single time.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:43 am

DonaldFagen wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:59 am
mouse wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:59 am*

If it's inside the garage, even at colder external temps than I experience here, you'll be in a better spot than me. My grill has never been inside. It often will do a "cold weather start" when it's under 40º. They prepared it for cold. Plus you can get one of these blankets for it, too: https://www.traegergrills.com/accessori ... -20-series

On the searing, when I do elks or filet - I cook at 225º until internal temp is 132º. I then take them off, put them in foil for 10 mins or so, and put cast iron pan in the grill and crank it to 500º to sear. The steaks come out perfectly every single time.
You mind me asking how long you've had it? You just keep it covered up? I'm curious because I really want the convenience of it being on the deck like my current grill...

DonaldFagen

Post by DonaldFagen » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:50 am

mouse wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:43 am You mind me asking how long you've had it? You just keep it covered up? I'm curious because I really want the convenience of it being on the deck like my current grill...
I got it during Labor Day 2019 sale. Got the grill cover, the tray and a few bags of pellets for free as well as a discount on the price. I keep it covered on the deck. I've never brought it inside one time. I cooked elk on the coldest day of the year, too. I found it to be more reliable in the cold than my propane grill if I'm being honest...

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:56 am

DonaldFagen wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:50 am
mouse wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:43 am You mind me asking how long you've had it? You just keep it covered up? I'm curious because I really want the convenience of it being on the deck like my current grill...
I got it during Labor Day 2019 sale. Got the grill cover, the tray and a few bags of pellets for free as well as a discount on the price. I keep it covered on the deck. I've never brought it inside one time. I cooked elk on the coldest day of the year, too. I found it to be more reliable in the cold than my propane grill if I'm being honest...
Cool man, I appreciate the info... definitely giving me some more optimism about not having to give up more space in the gym garage haha...

DonaldFagen

Post by DonaldFagen » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:05 am

mouse wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:56 am Cool man, I appreciate the info... definitely giving me some more optimism about not having to give up more space in the gym garage haha...
My pleasure - feel free to PM me if you have any other questions or anything...

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:22 am

I got to cook over the fire for a small party recently. Those are chuck eye steaks and trout stuffed with lemons and herbs from our garden. Tarragon. summer savory, and thai basil IIRC.

I should have made an attempt at a two-zone fire; it was too hot for the fish, but just right for the steaks. The skin was a little too well done, but the meat turned out great.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:28 am

Lost the cross section picture after they rested, but solid pink all the way through. Let them rest on the counter for about 3 hours till they were pretty solidly room temp, really makes a difference for thick cuts.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:03 pm

5hout wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:28 am

Lost the cross section picture after they rested, but solid pink all the way through. Let them rest on the counter for about 3 hours till they were pretty solidly room temp, really makes a difference for thick cuts.
Those look delicious. NIce crust

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:07 am

So I've been pawing through this thread from the start and by about page 18 I'm pretty much ready to just go buy a kettle on my way home haha...

Edit: Watched a bunch of videos on break and caved... sprung for a Master Touch, update when I get home haha

Edit edit: got it together and just threw some chicken on... holy crap... how have I allowed myself to be missing this for as long as I have?

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:02 pm

First ribs...

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:48 am

Nice looking ribs!

5hout

Post by 5hout » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:36 pm

Those look damn good. Amazing grilling weather here, but due to laziness and lack of speaking up I somehow ended up eating sad frozen burger patties quickly grilled over gas all weekend.

PC

Post by PC » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:54 am

Every so often I ask the butcher for full plate of these things. Turned out perfectly this time. ~8 hrs @ 225(ish) for 4.25 lbs.
20200622_123848.jpg
20200623_165811(2).jpg

And an obligatory Wagyu (American cross-breed) NY.
20200701_192346(1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:30 pm

5hout wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:36 pm Those look damn good. Amazing grilling weather here, but due to laziness and lack of speaking up I somehow ended up eating sad frozen burger patties quickly grilled over gas all weekend.
Root wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:48 amNice looking ribs!
Thanks, I was a nervous wreck pretty much the whole time... running out every 15 minutes to look at temps... I thought I'd have to be playing with vents and stuff but for the most part it stayed pretty steady around 250-275... did steaks yesterday and some burgers today... I've got a chuck that I'll smoke soon and at some point soon I'll have to do a meatloaf...

mouse

Post by mouse » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:31 pm

If you haven't tried it you should...