Grillroteca

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

Root
Grillmaster

Grillroteca

Post by Root » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:46 am

New thread for the postings of outdoor cookings over fire. And fire only.

And the Root spake, saying: "First shalt thou take out the charcoal. Then, shalt thou cook with fire. No more. No less. Fire shalt be the method thou shalt cook with, and the method of the cooking shall be fire. Oven shalt thou not cook with, nor either cook thou saute, excepting that thou then proceed to fire. Sous vide is right out. Once the grill, being the firey grill, be heated, then, slappeth thou thy Holy Flesh of Animal towards thy grill, who, being tasty in My sight, shall char it."

Root
Grillmaster

Re: Grillroteca

Post by Root » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:53 am

Steaks on the grill last night: choice chuck eye on the Weber kettle. No smoke, Just salt and pepper.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:12 am

Costco pork chop on hickory. Brine with black pepper and brown sugar for 6 hours. Indirect heat for about 45min, then directly over coals for about 9min. I like my pork sweet, so topped with jam of some sort I found in the fridge.

Until I figure out how to internet pictures: Instagram

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:18 am

Allentown wrote:Costco pork chop on hickory. Brine with black pepper and brown sugar for 6 hours. Indirect heat for about 45min, then directly over coals for about 9min. I like my pork sweet, so topped with jam of some sort I found in the fridge.

Until I figure out how to internet pictures: Instagram
Ooh, I saw that on the instant grams. Looks great. When you say brine...did you soak in salted water with black pepper and brown sugar added?

Any idea what your indirect temp was?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:30 am

Root wrote:Ooh, I saw that on the instant grams. Looks great. When you say brine...did you soak in salted water with black pepper and brown sugar added?

Yeah, brine by definition is salt water, right? I started putting brown sugar in the brine after deciding the best part of the Sweet Baby Rays flavor was the sugar. Not sure that still counts as a "brine" though, I'm sure Fishwife will let us know. And I started brining them when I got sick of dry chops, but at something like $2.25 a pound I'm going to keep buying them.

No clue on the temp- I set the lid to "draw" the smoke over the meat, so the lid thermometer was reading 400, with the coal along the left like you have with the beef, chops lined up along the middle of the keddle, and the top vent on the right. Lower vent all the way open. I'd estimate about 325-350 at the chop?
I bought some smaller bags of wood chips this time, without looking, and the pieces are tiny. Put a handful on the coals, and before I could put the meat on my neighbor started talking to me, and they had totally burned up by the time I extracted myself and got back to the grill, so I added another handful. Still got a nice little ring, but I'm going to need something better if I want to get a deeper smoke ring.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:12 am

Allentown wrote:
Root wrote:Ooh, I saw that on the instant grams. Looks great. When you say brine...did you soak in salted water with black pepper and brown sugar added?

Yeah, brine by definition is salt water, right? I started putting brown sugar in the brine after deciding the best part of the Sweet Baby Rays flavor was the sugar. Not sure that still counts as a "brine" though, I'm sure Fishwife will let us know. And I started brining them when I got sick of dry chops, but at something like $2.25 a pound I'm going to keep buying them.
Yes, brine is saltwater, and most brines I've seen also include a little sugar also. I've actually never used a wet brine, as a dry brine (basically just salting at least several hours ahead of time) is much easier and seems to work well.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:18 am

Root wrote:Steaks on the grill last night: choice chuck eye on the Weber kettle. No smoke, Just salt and pepper.

These look great, how were they? I always assumed chuck was only good slow cooked.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:36 am

mikeylikey wrote:These look great, how were they? I always assumed chuck was only good slow cooked.
Chuck eye steaks and ribeyes are similar cuts from the same muscle group on the cow, but usually way cheaper. I think these were 5.99/lb at save a lot for (supposedly) choice grade. They're very good when grilled right, almost as tender and just as flavorful as steaks that cost twice as much.

Link: https://www.thespruce.com/tips-for-chuc ... eak-995240

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:01 am

Root wrote:
mikeylikey wrote:These look great, how were they? I always assumed chuck was only good slow cooked.
Chuck eye steaks and ribeyes are similar cuts from the same muscle group on the cow, but usually way cheaper. I think these were 5.99/lb at save a lot for (supposedly) choice grade. They're very good when grilled right, almost as tender and just as flavorful as steaks that cost twice as much.

In Brazil I've never seen chuck eyes being used for anything other than ground meat products (meat balls, hamburgers, etc.). We also don't grill brisket around here, so there's that.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:10 am

Murelli wrote:
Root wrote:

In Brazil I've never seen chuck eyes being used for anything other than ground meat products (meat balls, hamburgers, etc.). We also don't grill brisket around here, so there's that.
Well, the full chuck, or chuck roast or whatever, is a popular piece of the cow to grind here also. But the chuck eye is only a small part of that, suitable for grilling.

Also, we don't "grill" brisket either. We smoke it or barbecue it.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Root, will you please just buy a damned sous vide.

You can sous vide the entire honking chuck roast for 24-48 hours...turn it into tender, meaty heaven, then sear the shit out of it on a screaming hot grill for a nice crust.

Come on.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:49 pm

AlanisHanley wrote:Root, will you please just buy a damned sous vide.

You can sous vide the entire honking chuck roast for 24-48 hours...turn it into tender, meaty heaven, then sear the shit out of it on a screaming hot grill for a nice crust.

Come on.
There's already a sous vide thread! It's the one with......ZERO replies.

I do want to smoke a chuck roast. The smoke n' sear people posted a video of it one time and it looked awesome.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:00 am

Root wrote:
Murelli wrote:
Root wrote:

Well, the full chuck, or chuck roast or whatever, is a popular piece of the cow to grind here also. But the chuck eye is only a small part of that, suitable for grilling.

Also, we don't "grill" brisket either. We smoke it or barbecue it.
Maybe we use the full chuck, I don't know. Our cuts are different from your cuts, so they don't translate well. Sorry for the confusion between smoking and grilling. We don't smoke much, except for ribs (costela no bafo).

fishwife
Olde English

Post by fishwife » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:11 pm

Allentown wrote:I'm sure Fishwife will let us know.
I'm not your brine adjudication monkey.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:15 am

Went home over lunch and fired up the Akorn for a smoked chuck roast. It's about 3 pounds, dry brined (need a ruling on this, fishwife) for about 16 hours, rubbed with olive oil and basic texas-style rub. Using a combination of hickory chips and chunks. Since that fucking slacker Hanley hasn't made me a Wifi-enabled BBQ monitor, I'm relying on my grill-fu to stick the temperature at 225. Might be able to scoot home this afternoon to check on it.

Plan is to smoke it like this at 225 for about 5.5 hours (should have a healthy bark by then), then put in a pan with a little liquid and and put a lid on it, at a higher temp (300?) until it hits 200 degrees.

Next day edit:

It turned out okay. When I got home from work, my grill temp was 300. Not great. The meat temp was about 175. So I put it in a pan with half a stout and some worcestriserchsheer sauce, covered and put back in. Then I left it too long. Meat temp was like 210 when I took it off. So it was a little dry, but very tasty, especially when the stout/worshetersacher mix was poured back over it after slicing.

Didn't get a pic sliced. Here it is in the pan:

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:13 am

Full lamb loin

Kinda blurry cause we were half the way through a bottle of Blood Oath

Hey, fuck it. It was a Tuesday!

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:32 am

Idlehands wrote:Full lamb loin
We need details. How'd you cook it?

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:14 pm

um
i forget what it was rubbed with
he did trim the fat, jam holes in it an put a bunch of garlic cloves.

Grilling I suggested indirect on the BGE with the place setter at about 400* I didn't have wood so straight charcoal(Lies I always have wood)
We just watched it till it looked done, so 1-2 hours or so?
Let set for 10 minutes and seared a bunch of tuna cubes on the grill with a ginger cinnamon sauce. Made my tongue feel like i was allegic to something. Very intense flavor. Good.
Then sliced up the lamb and plowed through most of it.
Seriously I didn't eat enough that day, and we stared drinking bourbon at about 4

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Prepped a pork shoulder with a rub of brown sugar, kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic, and cayenne. Making pulled pork tacos for dinner tomorrow. Pictures to come. Early dinner, so I need to start the smoke around 7am.

DeriHughes

Post by DeriHughes » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:59 pm

I am slowly getting into brining & smoking

This (https://www.instagram.com/p/BY_sLt3F79x/) was 8 pounds of brisket, brined for 12 days (salt, bit of sugar, onion, garlic) then rubbed with black pepper, coriander, mustard seeds, garlic and smoked for 8 hours @ between 200 & 300 (my temp controlling was shit...) on a Monolith Kamado, over apple chips.

Possibly the best thing I've ever tasted. Can't wait to make another.