Grillroteca

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

Root
Grillmaster

Re: Grillroteca

Post by Root » Wed May 27, 2020 5:05 pm

Asian pork meatloaf on the grill right now. I'm trying putting the loaf right on the grill instead of using any kind of pan. Hasn't fallen through yet!

Jumrobe

Post by Jumrobe » Fri May 29, 2020 6:32 am

Root wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:05 pm Asian pork meatloaf on the grill right now. I'm trying putting the loaf right on the grill instead of using any kind of pan. Hasn't fallen through yet!
This sounds interesting. How did it turn out?

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Fri May 29, 2020 6:41 am

Meat prices are making grilling expensive these days. A rack of baby back ribs used to be around $15 and its now pushing $25. Steak prices are out of control. Saw a 1.5lb flank steak for $27 yesterday.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:23 am

There was something with the humidity last night that made the smoke much worse than normal when I was lighting my charcoal. I'm using starter cubes and a chimney starter with standard briquettes. It's always kind of bad. So, I've started point a fan at the starter to push the smoke away. But last night the smoke just went off to the side of my house, down my driveway, and across the street. One of my neighbors texted me to make sure my house wasn't on fire. . . .

I think I might have to switch over to gas for most cooking. There are too many houses too close by. People are sitting outside. Some have their windows open. I'm making too much smoke.

I'm not sure that switching over to lump charcoal will help much.

Probably going to get a Weber Spirit or something next week. Such sadness.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:29 am

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:11 pm

iamsmu wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:23 amI'm not sure that switching over to lump charcoal will help much.
It'll help tremendously. Seriously. Just get Royal Oak at Home Depot. I can't use briquettes on still days with heavy air...I'll smoke up everyone around me.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:07 pm

Hanley wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:11 pm
iamsmu wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:23 amI'm not sure that switching over to lump charcoal will help much.
It'll help tremendously. Seriously. Just get Royal Oak at Home Depot. I can't use briquettes on still days with heavy air...I'll smoke up everyone around me.
I used to use them. I just can't recall the smoke difference clearly. I stopped because they burn so damn hot and fast. I recall the lump producing very little ash in comparison. . . . . Maybe I'll give them a try tomorrow again before having to fork out all that cash for a decent gas grill. I want to make a steak tomorrow and I know that the gas just isn't going to get hot enough.

Edit: I just went and got a big red bag of Royal Oak.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:20 pm

I only use Royal Oak and light with one of those lighter cubes... don’t get much smoke unless of course I throw wood chips on top. Then again if you think humidity is the cause, there isn’t much of that here.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:13 am

Jumrobe wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:32 am
Root wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:05 pm Asian pork meatloaf on the grill right now. I'm trying putting the loaf right on the grill instead of using any kind of pan. Hasn't fallen through yet!
This sounds interesting. How did it turn out?
A little late on the response, but it turned out great. Meatloaf is so much better when it's brown on all sides.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:16 am

iamsmu wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:23 am There was something with the humidity last night that made the smoke much worse than normal when I was lighting my charcoal. I'm using starter cubes and a chimney starter with standard briquettes. It's always kind of bad. So, I've started point a fan at the starter to push the smoke away. But last night the smoke just went off to the side of my house, down my driveway, and across the street. One of my neighbors texted me to make sure my house wasn't on fire. . . .

I think I might have to switch over to gas for most cooking. There are too many houses too close by. People are sitting outside. Some have their windows open. I'm making too much smoke.

I'm not sure that switching over to lump charcoal will help much.

Probably going to get a Weber Spirit or something next week. Such sadness.
Have you tried a hardwood briquette like Weber or Royal Oak or Stubbs? I don't know if they necessarily smoke less, but they definitely have less "charcoal smell" than the standard Kingsford blue bag.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:06 am

Root wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:16 am

Have you tried a hardwood briquette like Weber or Royal Oak or Stubbs? I don't know if they necessarily smoke less, but they definitely have less "charcoal smell" than the standard Kingsford blue bag.
I grabbed some Royal Oak and am going to give it a shot tonight.

The problem was all the smoke produced when it was lighting in the chimney starter. It was very humid and still. Even in better conditions, the initial smoke is pushing the limits of what's neighborly here. . . .

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:11 pm

iamsmu wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:06 am
Root wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:16 am

I grabbed some Royal Oak and am going to give it a shot tonight.

The problem was all the smoke produced when it was lighting in the chimney starter. It was very humid and still. Even in better conditions, the initial smoke is pushing the limits of what's neighborly here. . . .
Also, maybe just try getting the coals going faster with better airflow? If you're lighting your chimney in the grill on the charcoal grate, try putting it up on the cooking grate, or outside the grill on a piece of concrete. Also, increase whatever starter you're using. Twice as much paper, or two cubes or whatever.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:30 pm

Root wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:11 pm
Also, maybe just try getting the coals going faster with better airflow? If you're lighting your chimney in the grill on the charcoal grate, try putting it up on the cooking grate, or outside the grill on a piece of concrete. Also, increase whatever starter you're using. Twice as much paper, or two cubes or whatever.
Interesting suggestion. Ya, I usually light on the charcoal gate. I can't recall how open the bottom vents were or how much ash might have been down there. Hmm. . . . I'll try the cooking grate tonight with the Royal Oak.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:20 pm

iamsmu wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:30 pm I'll try the cooking grate tonight with the Royal Oak.
How'd it go?

Man...I don't if Kingsford added a bunch of filler recently or something, but their briquettes produce ridiculous amounts of smoke on light-up (I use the Weber kettle with the built-in propane starter). If the air is still, I can't use Kingsford. My neighbor thought her house was on fire last year (seriously almost called the fire department)...nope just fucking Kingsford briquettes at my house.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:08 pm

Hanley wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:20 pm
iamsmu wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:30 pm I'll try the cooking grate tonight with the Royal Oak.
How'd it go?

Man...I don't if Kingsford added a bunch of filler recently or something, but their briquettes produce ridiculous amounts of smoke on light-up (I use the Weber kettle with the built-in propane starter). If the air is still, I can't use Kingsford. My neighbor thought her house was on fire last year (seriously almost called the fire department)...nope just fucking Kingsford briquettes at my house.
I just dumped the coals. I'll put the steak on soon. . . . The Royal Oak on in the chimney starter on the grill grate didn't produce much smoke. The first few minutes were a little tense. But it was pretty clean after. This is the way to go! I don't have to buy a gas grill!! I can buy another gun (or gun parts)!!!

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:11 pm

iamsmu wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:08 pmThis is the way to go! I don't have to buy a gas grill!
Lump does burn hot as hell though..like you said. Sometimes annoying. I've had to replace a lower grate due to warping.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:22 pm

Hanley wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:11 pm
iamsmu wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:08 pmThis is the way to go! I don't have to buy a gas grill!
Lump does burn hot as hell though..like you said. Sometimes annoying. I've had to replace a lower grate due to warping.
I have definitely seen some creep on the grates of the Kamado Joe. 1000F pizza FTW.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:39 pm

iamsmu wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:08 pm
Hanley wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:20 pm
How'd it go?

I just dumped the coals. I'll put the steak on soon. . . . The Royal Oak on in the chimney starter on the grill grate didn't produce much smoke. The first few minutes were a little tense. But it was pretty clean after. This is the way to go! I don't have to buy a gas grill!! I can buy another gun (or gun parts)!!!
Cool. Do you think it was more the coal or the increased airflow? Did you get Royal Oak lump or briquettes?

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:48 am

Root wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:39 pm Cool. Do you think it was more the coal or the increased airflow? Did you get Royal Oak lump or briquettes?
I got the lump. It burns clean, hot, and fast. Lot of it was broken up. They must have abused the bag. . . . I'll still use normal briquettes for long smoking. I don't think I could control the lump well enough.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:00 am

Root wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:39 pm Cool. Do you think it was more the coal or the increased airflow?
Both, most likely The air flow had to help.

Thanks guys. I'm glad that it looks like I won't need to buy a gas grill. One of my cats needs to have some teeth pulled. That's not going to be cheap. . . .

I'll try again when it's a little sticky outside and see if I get similar results.