Power Rack Thread

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Power Rack Thread

Post by Allentown » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:54 am

throwinshapes wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:03 am Yes, that's easy. Contact customer service. You can piece together the rack how you want it. (Internally when you order a standard rack off their website, it's actually all the individual parts as line items anyways).
Also: did they charge you any extra for "custom" bits?
Because if there is an upcharge to get a 3-post R-3 in similar dimensions to the Rep-4000 (16" weight storage & 30" interior) on top of the price...
The Rep with all the bells came to around $1,500. R-6 with multi-grip bar, strap safety (assuming they can cut it down to the 16" and 30") is $1,800.

throwinshapes

Post by throwinshapes » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:01 pm

Allentown wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:54 am
throwinshapes wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:03 am Yes, that's easy. Contact customer service. You can piece together the rack how you want it. (Internally when you order a standard rack off their website, it's actually all the individual parts as line items anyways).
Also: did they charge you any extra for "custom" bits?
Because if there is an upcharge to get a 3-post R-3 in similar dimensions to the Rep-4000 (16" weight storage & 30" interior) on top of the price...
The Rep with all the bells came to around $1,500. R-6 with multi-grip bar, strap safety (assuming they can cut it down to the 16" and 30") is $1,800.
No upcharge to customize the order, and none of the parts were custom. The 30in crossmembers and straps are sold on the RML-390, for example. Just paid the difference for upgraded J-cups and safeties.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:21 pm

Oh, nice. Well I contacted them to see if they could do 16" cross members for the weight storage. I should have also asked if I could mount the multi-grip bar inside a 16" section, so I could then turn the whole thing around. Still not 100% sure I want or need storage, but it would sure be nice if I could get that pull up bar on the outside of the cage space.
Honestly, (especially if I could get the "orders with a rack ship free" thing) not too bad. I might even think about adding an OPB if I did get free shipping...

throwinshapes

Post by throwinshapes » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:29 pm

Allentown wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:21 pm Oh, nice. Well I contacted them to see if they could do 16" cross members for the weight storage. I should have also asked if I could mount the multi-grip bar inside a 16" section, so I could then turn the whole thing around. Still not 100% sure I want or need storage, but it would sure be nice if I could get that pull up bar on the outside of the cage space.
Honestly, (especially if I could get the "orders with a rack ship free" thing) not too bad. I might even think about adding an OPB if I did get free shipping...
Ya, I'd be curious what the extra cost would be for those. Might as well get shortened pullup bars while you're at it. I'd bet on a long lead time.

Ragholmes

Post by Ragholmes » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:14 am

Allentown wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:40 am Weight storage uprights need to be, what, 6" away from a wall?
Measured last night, my uprights are about 11" away from the wall which leaves the plates just under 4" clearance for my hand, I personally wouldn't want to go much more than an inch closer than that. You could go real tight, but it will bug you every time you use it.
Also, I saw you mention getting the crossmembers cut down to 16". Thats what I had asked for, Rogue wouldn't go less than 18".
I too really obsessed on getting things as tight as I could, but saving a few inches here and there didn't make as much of a difference as I thought it would, and in some places it bugs me not having a little more room to move. For example, if I had to do it over I would give myself at least another 6 inches clearance down the side. I went as tight as I thought I could to the wall on the side and it's now annoying when loading/unloading plates. I don't know your space limitations though.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:33 am

throwinshapes wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:03 am
Allentown wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:20 am My current rack is 30" ID, I think that's ideal, personally, enough room but still less space than the huge 48. If Rogue won't do a 30" depth cage, I might NEED to look at Rep. I guess I could probably live with a 24"...
Yes, that's easy. Contact customer service. You can piece together the rack how you want it. (Internally when you order a standard rack off their website, it's actually all the individual parts as line items anyways).

I ordered a RML-690, but substituted a bunch. I chose a 30in depth, straps instead of pin/pipe, sandwich instead of standard j-cups, and I think one of the pull up bars wasn't standard.

My sales order looked like this:

Code: Select all

(1)     RA0955-30     Monster Lite Strap Safety System 2.0 - 30in   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
(1)     RA0516     Monster Lite Sandwich J-Cup Pair   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
(1)     RF0523     Rogue RML-690 Power Rack   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
(1)     RA0201     Rogue 43" Fat/Skinny Pullup Bar   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
(4)     RA0375     SP58 Plate Storage Pair - Long for Infinity & MLite   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
(2)     RA0400     XML-24 Monster Lite 3x3x24 Crossmember Pair   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
(2)     RA0496     XML-30 Monster Lite 3x3x30 Crossmember Pair   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
(3)     RA0430     Monster Lite 90" Leg - Pair   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
(1)     RA0470     X-431 - 43" Single Skinny Pull-Up Bar   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
(1)     RA0475     RML-6 Bolt Kit   Ship Date: 12-Jun-2017
I hear you too on the inside width on the Rogue 3x3 racks, hence why I did this:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2680
But obviously you should get the rack you want from the start.
@throwinshapes , i'm wondering if this shows that the statement in the Garage Gyms review of the Rep PR-5000, that Rogue forces you to pay for the offered pin pipes (or j-hooks) and then also pay full price for the safeties or hooks you really want on top of that, is indeed not true.
Rep doesn't include safeties in the price, and you just choose what you want.
And they offer the sandwich hooks, and multi grip pullup bar in the base price.

If Rogue allows you to choose, that's a pretty big deal.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:47 am

Ragholmes wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:14 am Measured last night, my uprights are about 11" away from the wall which leaves the plates just under 4" clearance for my hand, I personally wouldn't want to go much more than an inch closer than that. You could go real tight, but it will bug you every time you use it.
Also, I saw you mention getting the crossmembers cut down to 16". Thats what I had asked for, Rogue wouldn't go less than 18".
I too really obsessed on getting things as tight as I could, but saving a few inches here and there didn't make as much of a difference as I thought it would, and in some places it bugs me not having a little more room to move. For example, if I had to do it over I would give myself at least another 6 inches clearance down the side. I went as tight as I thought I could to the wall on the side and it's now annoying when loading/unloading plates. I don't know your space limitations though.
Right now, I have 0" on either side of my 45lb plates to pick them up. I'd be 100% fine with 1" of clearance to the wall. I just pick the plates up from the top.

I've got an extra ~12-16"" or something on either side of my platform to the wall, most of which on one side is right now taken up by a homemade TV stand. I'd want to narrow that and put the stuff on the other half-empty set of shelves in a different part of the garage.
The biggest issue is my 7' platform. I don't want to make it any deeper, the doorway into the gym side of the garage is 7' from the back wall, and if/when I get around to pouring some concrete to level it out I don't want to go beyond the doorway.
Also, being 6'2 with long arms, and not wanting to compromise on doing seated presses or something, if I ever decide to overhead press again.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of putting the weight storage on the front end of the platform with the PU bar in that section, though. Is there some reason I am not thinking of that I wouldn't want to do that?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:18 am

throwinshapes wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:29 pm Ya, I'd be curious what the extra cost would be for those. Might as well get shortened pullup bars while you're at it. I'd bet on a long lead time.
$134.50 for 4 with 2-3 week lead time.
Shortened pull up bars to narrow the cage? Because I'm looking at the R-3/4ish, with 2x3 posts, and a multi-grip PU bar, which I guess they could shorten by cutting out the middle, but with the 2x3 posts I don't think I'd need or want it any narrower.

I don't know what their manufacturing process looks like, but worst case: all the parts are assembled by robots. Rogue would have to take a 24", cut out 8", re-weld 11ga together (straight, no warping), clean and re-powder coat. $140 isn't actually outrageous, but it's not a 3-week job. 4 hours for the steel work, couple hand's off hours for the powder coat. If I put the chin bar in there it would reinforce it, if they did the weld in the middle, and the bottom cross members wouldn't be load-bearing...

If I put the weight storage on the front and stuck with the 24" and a 30" cage...

R-3
Wall|4" (space between post and wall) |3" (post) |30" (ID) |3" (post) |24" (storage ID) |3" (post) |

I'd have to deadlift inside, but that would leave me 17" on the outside. That's pretty reasonable...
So for a 30" R3BT, multi-grip, strap safety, pair of long weight storage posts, and if they sell me the uprights for the $300 we talked about here, that's $1,500. Same price as an R6, but less depth, fewer plate storage posts, no band pegs, but adding the strap safeties.

Actually... I wonder if I could just get one set of cross bars and use 2 of my current uprights...
Except I could probably sell my cage for the same price as an extra set of uprights and cross bars.

BigE

Post by BigE » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:02 am

I’ve been comparing the Rogue Monster Series to the Rep Fitness 4000/5000 series too. The customization to get the Rogue narrowed and plate storage shortened, plus the better hole spacing on the PR4000, continues to push me towards the Rep. I would prefer to buy semi-locally from Rogue too. By the time the Rogue was modified, it would be approaching fancier rack prices.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:22 am

BigE wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:02 am I’ve been comparing the Rogue Monster Series to the Rep Fitness 4000/5000 series too. The customization to get the Rogue narrowed and plate storage shortened, plus the better hole spacing on the PR4000, continues to push me towards the Rep. I would prefer to buy semi-locally from Rogue too. By the time the Rogue was modified, it would be approaching fancier rack prices.
To get the PR4000 set up the same way as the cobbled R4 I am leaning toward would be $1,275, around $225 cheaper than the Rogue. And if the "Orders with racks ship free" on Rogue is true, it's only $75 difference. Though, free shipping didn't auto-pop at Rogue when I went to the shipping estimate. True, the Rep is going to be a little shallower, and I could get red cross bars to make it look all Darth-Vadery, but... Rogue is Rogue.

Skander

Post by Skander » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:44 am

Just curious- with all these customizations, did you ever hear back from Legend?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:12 am

Skander wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:44 am Just curious- with all these customizations, did you ever hear back from Legend?
After Mgil said the power station basically wouldn't work, I actually stopped looking. But looking again, the Power cage/power station are 62" deep. Add in another 8" for the plates in back, and I still have 14" in front of the cage. 3" less than Rogue, but the plates are in the back instead of in front. Wouldn't hurt to get a quote!

BigE

Post by BigE » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:38 pm

Allentown wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:22 am
BigE wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:02 am I’ve been comparing the Rogue Monster Series to the Rep Fitness 4000/5000 series too. The customization to get the Rogue narrowed and plate storage shortened, plus the better hole spacing on the PR4000, continues to push me towards the Rep. I would prefer to buy semi-locally from Rogue too. By the time the Rogue was modified, it would be approaching fancier rack prices.
To get the PR4000 set up the same way as the cobbled R4 I am leaning toward would be $1,275, around $225 cheaper than the Rogue. And if the "Orders with racks ship free" on Rogue is true, it's only $75 difference. Though, free shipping didn't auto-pop at Rogue when I went to the shipping estimate. True, the Rep is going to be a little shallower, and I could get red cross bars to make it look all Darth-Vadery, but... Rogue is Rogue.
Cool. I miss understood what you wanted. I thought you basically wanted an 30” R6 with 18” plate storage. What is it that you’re going for?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:57 pm

At this point, it's basically just a 30" R4 with a few extra bits (extra uprights, multigrip, straps). No custom cutting. Like a "budget R6"

throwinshapes

Post by throwinshapes » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:02 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:33 am @throwinshapes , i'm wondering if this shows that the statement in the Garage Gyms review of the Rep PR-5000, that Rogue forces you to pay for the offered pin pipes (or j-hooks) and then also pay full price for the safeties or hooks you really want on top of that, is indeed not true.
Rep doesn't include safeties in the price, and you just choose what you want.
And they offer the sandwich hooks, and multi grip pullup bar in the base price.

If Rogue allows you to choose, that's a pretty big deal.
Confirming I only paid the difference in price for the upgrades.

throwinshapes

Post by throwinshapes » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:04 pm

Allentown wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:18 am
$134.50 for 4 with 2-3 week lead time.
Shortened pull up bars to narrow the cage? Because I'm looking at the R-3/4ish, with 2x3 posts, and a multi-grip PU bar, which I guess they could shorten by cutting out the middle, but with the 2x3 posts I don't think I'd need or want it any narrower.
Ah, that's right. Nevermind, I was only taking about shortening the width to equal the width with 2x3 posts.

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:58 am

If you’re space constrained have you considered a four post rack with a separate weight tree?

I prefer 6 post racks but I would think about the space penalty vs benefit offered.

Skander

Post by Skander » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:31 am

Wayne wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:58 am If you’re space constrained have you considered a four post rack with a separate weight tree?

I prefer 6 post racks but I would think about the space penalty vs benefit offered.
I was thinking something similar, what's the situation of that back wall? Could you put storage on the wall along the studs, then just get something nice and beefy with 30" depth?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:27 am

Wayne wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:58 am If you’re space constrained have you considered a four post rack with a separate weight tree?
That's what I've got now.

Skander wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:31 am I was thinking something similar, what's the situation of that back wall? Could you put storage on the wall along the studs, then just get something nice and beefy with 30" depth?
The back wall is, AFAICT, a false wall. There HAS to be a stud in there somewhere between both ends, but I put a dozen holes in it trying to find one. Stud finder was useless. There seems to be a 2x4 on each end, and I have to assume there is at least one more where the two sheets of drywall connect.
I don't really need weight storage, I primarily want a pull up bar attached to the front of the cage.

Actually... I could probably just get the 30" R4, multi-grip chin bar, and https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-neutral-grips
This would be cool too but I can't find a way to mount in to the front:
https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-crown-pull-up-bar

Ironically... REP has the same thing, and you CAN attach it to the front. Weird. I mean weird that they have the exact same product...

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:25 pm

Skander wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:44 am Just curious- with all these customizations, did you ever hear back from Legend?
$2,271 for power station, custom paint, pro-style pull up bar, beefy spotter arms, dip attachment, and delivery.