Power Rack Thread

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

gtl

Power Rack Thread

Post by gtl » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:26 am

Perhaps this could become a sticky, but I think it would be cool to have members contribute to a listing of power rack options.

I'm thinking something like:
Brand Tier (1-3) Quality (1-5) Styles Customizable (y/n) Accessories Price ($, $$, $$$, $$$$)
Legend Fitness 1 5 Power Rack, Half Rack, Double Half Rack, Monolift, Rig, Squat Stands Y Spotter Arms, Safety Straps, Flip Down Safeties, Sandwich Jcups, Pullup bars, Dip attachment, Landmine, Stepup platform $$$$
Rogue Fitness 2 4 Power Rack, Half Rack, Folding Rack, Rig, Squat Stands, 4 post, 6 post, Flat Foot Y Spotter Arms, Safety Straps, Flip Down Safeties, Sandwich Jcups, Monolift attachment, Pullup bars, Dip attachment, Landmine, Stepup platform $$$
Titan Fitness 3 3 Power Rack, Half Rack, Folding Rack, Rig, Squat Stands, 4 post, 6 post, Flat Foot N Spotter Arms, Safety Straps, Flip Down Safeties, Sandwich Jcups, Monolift attachment, Pullup bars, Dip attachment, Landmine, Stepup platform $$

Other brands to add/research:
  • Black Widow Training Gear
  • Edge Fitness Systems
  • Beast Metals
  • Texas Strength Systems
  • Rep Fitness
  • GetRxd
  • York
  • TDS
  • BodySolid

augeleven

Re: Power Rack Thread

Post by augeleven » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:50 am

I got the Fitness Reality 810XLT when they were around 175. standard low end 2x2 construction with holes spaced 3" apart. An upgrade from diy squat stands, but maybe I should have gotten a better one.
A big selling point was that it is 83.75 inches tall. I have it wedged under my basement ceiling joists. Most other rack were taller than this.
I think having dimensions and hole spacing, as well as if the rack needs to be bolted to the ground would be good to have in the chart.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:56 am

Legend isn’t more than Rogue, FWIW

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:56 am

Why the lowish rating for Titan racks? I have a X-3, and that thing is a 343lb beast! I've used Rogue Racks a few times, and I can't tell a difference between the two.

strega

Post by strega » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 pm

I have no idea what @Cody uses but his shit is the bomb. Monolifts, rack, it's cool shit. When I come back in my next lift "strong" that's what I'm going to get.

gtl

Post by gtl » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:04 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:56 am Legend isn’t more than Rogue, FWIW
Depends on how you view pricing, as an entry point or like-like equivalent.. right?

Like you can't get a $600 rack from Legend, but if you have the maxed out config from Rogue, Legend has something comparable for the same price.. right?

I think that's how I was meaning to interpret it.

gtl

Post by gtl » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:05 pm

AaronM wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:56 am Why the lowish rating for Titan racks? I have a X-3, and that thing is a 343lb beast! I've used Rogue Racks a few times, and I can't tell a difference between the two.
I wouldn't say 3 is low. It's middle of the road. Quality is definitely not a 5 (Legend, Sorinex, Powerlift, etc) and not a 4 IMO (that's where Rogue and probably a lot of the other smaller scale non commercial American manufactures sit).

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:42 pm

gtl wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:04 pm
mgil wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:56 am Legend isn’t more than Rogue, FWIW
Depends on how you view pricing, as an entry point or like-like equivalent.. right?

Like you can't get a $600 rack from Legend, but if you have the maxed out config from Rogue, Legend has something comparable for the same price.. right?

I think that's how I was meaning to interpret it.
Yeah. Rogue is tricky because the product range is so wide.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:47 pm

strega wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 pm I have no idea what @Cody uses but his shit is the bomb. Monolifts, rack, it's cool shit. When I come back in my next lift "strong" that's what I'm going to get.
Yeah, that shit is gorgeous.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:58 pm

strega wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 pm I have no idea what @Cody uses but his shit is the bomb. Monolifts, rack, it's cool shit. When I come back in my next lift "strong" that's what I'm going to get.

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:05 pm

AaronM wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:56 am Why the lowish rating for Titan racks? I have a X-3, and that thing is a 343lb beast! I've used Rogue Racks a few times, and I can't tell a difference between the two.
Titan has some quality & consistency issues. You can definitely get a good product, but you can also get some gross looking welds, peeling powdercoat, missing parts, damaged parts due to poor packaging, etc. I would much rather Rep Fitness at that price point from what I've used. Just my opinion.. I know Titan has served many guys very well, including a few of my lifting buddies locally.

That being said, I'm very happy with my Rogue racks. I've had three over the years (Infinity R3 --> Monster Lite flat foot--> Monster RM3). :) I've had zero quality issues on any of my Rogue racks.

gtl

Post by gtl » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:16 pm

thejosef wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:05 pm I would much rather Rep Fitness at that price point from what I've used.
I think if Rep Fitness had westside hole spacing, they would sell more racks. Not saying its 100% necessary, but a lot of people are sold on this now that its offered by almost every other company.

Also, shipping costs starting at $115 for a rack. Do they offer a flat rate after you buy so much? Typically once something is going freight, its 1 rate.

Skid

Post by Skid » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:31 pm

Cody wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:58 pm
Very nice set up. The only issue I see is the safety slots look to be around 4" apart. Depends on the set up but they might be too low or too high depending on the lifter. Also for pin presses and such it's nice to have the slots closer together for the different variations. I like that the safeties are square for more surface area.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:37 pm

Skid wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:31 pm Very nice set up. The only issue I see is the safety slots look to be around 4" apart. Depends on the set up but they might be too low or too high depending on the lifter. Also for pin presses and such it's nice to have the slots closer together for the different variations. I like that the safeties are square for more surface area.
The safeties can flip upside down and have a simple latch to hold them in place that way, so the adjustments are actually in 2" increments. It's pretty genius.

My monolifts can adjust in 1" increments.

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:54 pm

gtl wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:16 pm
thejosef wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:05 pm I would much rather Rep Fitness at that price point from what I've used.
I think if Rep Fitness had westside hole spacing, they would sell more racks. Not saying its 100% necessary, but a lot of people are sold on this now that its offered by almost every other company.

Also, shipping costs starting at $115 for a rack. Do they offer a flat rate after you buy so much? Typically once something is going freight, its 1 rate.
Good point on the westside spacing. I had it on two racks and it was definitely neat. My current rack doesn't have it, but i'l live.

Two of my buddies both bought Rep Fitness racks off Amazon with free shipping.. I'm not sure if all of Rep's racks are on there or how they compare with their website prices + shipping. I know both paid in the neighborhood of $325-350 shipped for their racks. I've lifted on them and they seemed like a great rack for the money, Especially for those starting out. I'm not sure how they'd feel with 500+ lbs. on them, but below that they seem fine.

Skid

Post by Skid » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:42 pm

Cody wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:37 pm
Skid wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:31 pm Very nice set up. The only issue I see is the safety slots look to be around 4" apart. Depends on the set up but they might be too low or too high depending on the lifter. Also for pin presses and such it's nice to have the slots closer together for the different variations. I like that the safeties are square for more surface area.
The safeties can flip upside down and have a simple latch to hold them in place that way, so the adjustments are actually in 2" increments. It's pretty genius.

Very cool! 2 inches is perfect, and is the spacing my rack has (mostly). I've worked out in commercial gyms with the same set up (Hammer Strength?), and didn't know you could do that. Learning something new every day!

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:54 pm

Skid wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:42 pm
Cody wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:37 pm

Very cool! 2 inches is perfect, and is the spacing my rack has (mostly). I've worked out in commercial gyms with the same set up (Hammer Strength?), and didn't know you could do that. Learning something new every day!
Nebula was the only brand to incorporate that. This rack is superior to everything on the market that's not a high end Rae Crowther.

strega

Post by strega » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:44 am

Cody wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:54 pm
Nebula was the only brand to incorporate that. This rack is superior to everything on the market that's not a high end Rae Crowther.

I believe that's a capital "WAS"

Rogue Fitness Acquires Nebula.

http://www.nebula-fitness.com/

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:09 am

strega wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:44 am
Cody wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:54 pm

I believe that's a capital "WAS"

Rogue Fitness Acquires Nebula.

http://www.nebula-fitness.com/
Yeah, and they've squandered that IP. They even had the lead Nebula designer on contract, but never released any of his products he was working on.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:03 am

Cody wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:09 amYeah, and they've squandered that IP. They even had the lead Nebula designer on contract, but never released any of his products he was working on.
This irritates me. I want your rack.