Power Rack Thread

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

jwilson625

Re: Power Rack Thread

Post by jwilson625 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:28 pm

Also one of the hooks is missing the plastic liner that protects the rack uprights πŸ˜’πŸ˜’

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:44 pm

jwilson625 wrote: ↑Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:28 pm Also one of the hooks is missing the plastic liner that protects the rack uprights πŸ˜’πŸ˜’
I think they should send you the correct hooks.

Void the $20 credit, and have them make it right.

Oh man, i missed that they sent 4 new and screwed up again.
Fuq
Last edited by Wilhelm on Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

gtl

Post by gtl » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:52 am

jwilson625 wrote: ↑Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:19 pm
jwilson625 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:38 pm Rep has my strap safeties in stock so they're sending me a new set with mirrored pairs of hooks. Unfortunately they have no J-cups of any type in stock, so I was given the option to wait until late October for a new set or keep the non-mirrored set and take a partial refund. I opted to keep the set I have and they refunded me 50% ($20). Mildly annoying but they did what they could and the customer service was good *shrugs*. Once the new set of strap safeties comes in I'll be able to actually start lifting... For now I've been hitting the pullup bar for a set of fahhve a few times a day when I go by the rack. Loving the multigrip bar and am happy to have the variety.

In the meantime, the plan is to build a couple of these: https://www.catalystathletics.com/artic ... late-Rack/
Rep sent me 4 new strap hooks aaaaaaaand they're all the same again... Same orientation as the first set too πŸ˜’
That's some Titan QC right there lol

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:26 pm

Rep killing me on these strap safeties... Sounds like this is a new guy who is not super familiar with the product yet:
I believe I've made an incorrect assumption; I had a customer I was assisting yesterday and they were describing a separate issue with the strap safeties and the orientation is the same for both sides of the uprights. I apologize for the confusion, as I'm still getting product knowledge down myself. If you have two pairs you'd prefer to keep, go ahead and do so, and we can return the spares (and the one without the UHMW lining).
Soooo you don't know.. then who does?

Literally the website and the CAD images on the packaging show different orientations for the left and right sides.... so either the design changed and all this material is out of date, or there is a manufacturing/supplier issue. Sending them a link to their own website for comment... I realize this is a somewhat minor detail to be hung up on, but the strap safeties are a lot easier to deal with in the rack if the two sets are mirrored and I definitely want them that way if possible :x

gtl

Post by gtl » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:51 pm

jwilson625 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:26 pm Rep killing me on these strap safeties... Sounds like this is a new guy who is not super familiar with the product yet:
I believe I've made an incorrect assumption; I had a customer I was assisting yesterday and they were describing a separate issue with the strap safeties and the orientation is the same for both sides of the uprights. I apologize for the confusion, as I'm still getting product knowledge down myself. If you have two pairs you'd prefer to keep, go ahead and do so, and we can return the spares (and the one without the UHMW lining).
Soooo you don't know.. then who does?

Literally the website and the CAD images on the packaging show different orientations for the left and right sides.... so either the design changed and all this material is out of date, or there is a manufacturing/supplier issue. Sending them a link to their own website for comment... I realize this is a somewhat minor detail to be hung up on, but the strap safeties are a lot easier to deal with in the rack if the two sets are mirrored and I definitely want them that way if possible :x
I mean, when you're paying that much for a rack, and upgrading to a premium attachment for spotting, it should mater.

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:27 pm

Rep confirmed that the product photos are out of date and the support guy put in a request to have them changed... so sounds like they definitely simplified the design to a single part, probably to save a little money buying bulk parts in from CHINA. Mildly annoying but I'll survive, plus I can start using my rack now :D

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:36 pm

jwilson625 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:27 pm Rep confirmed that the product photos are out of date and the support guy put in a request to have them changed... so sounds like they definitely simplified the design to a single part, probably to save a little money buying bulk parts in from CHINA. Mildly annoying but I'll survive, plus I can start using my rack now :D
If you had bought a $1200 Rip Rack, you could just go down to the local (Big Bolt i.e. not Home Depot) store and get another 1-1/4"x6" hex bolt and nut (quickly weld a stop-washer to it) and tah dah..... you'd be in business.

Or could just angle the pins thru the channel uprights to facilitate hooks.

Fucking soiboi

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:46 pm

mbasic wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:36 pm
jwilson625 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:27 pm Rep confirmed that the product photos are out of date and the support guy put in a request to have them changed... so sounds like they definitely simplified the design to a single part, probably to save a little money buying bulk parts in from CHINA. Mildly annoying but I'll survive, plus I can start using my rack now :D
If you had bought a $1200 Rip Rack, you could just go down to the local (Big Bolt i.e. not Home Depot) store and get another 1-1/4"x6" hex bolt and nut (quickly weld a stop-washer to it) and tah dah..... you'd be in business.

Or could just angle the pins thru the channel uprights to facilitate hooks.

Fucking soiboi
What Man doesn't already have a 1-1/4x6 hex bolt, washer, nut, and welder in his garage?

Barry

Post by Barry » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:07 pm

I have strap safeties for my PR-4000 and didn't pay any attention to what direction the pins attach to the uprights i.e. whether they pivot onto the uprights from inside the rack or from outside, as this didn't, and doesn't, seem to matter in any way as far as I can tell. I don't see how the orientation can make them any easier or harder or really any different at all. I attach/unattach one side at a time, and I couldn't care less which direction I pivot the bracket.

Skander

Post by Skander » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Barry wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:07 pm I have strap safeties for my PR-4000 and didn't pay any attention to what direction the pins attach to the uprights i.e. whether they pivot onto the uprights from inside the rack or from outside, as this didn't, and doesn't, seem to matter in any way as far as I can tell. I don't see how the orientation can make them any easier or harder or really any different at all. I attach/unattach one side at a time, and I couldn't care less which direction I pivot the bracket.
There's a recently viral video where a powerlifter dropped a huge front squat and the strap orientation did play a part in the strap coming off. Probably an unlikely scenario, but exactly the situation you described as being unlikely.

Sorry, too lazy to find the video, I feel like @mbasic would have the link.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:50 pm

Skander wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:31 pm I feel like @mbasic would have the link.
I don't follow the type of 'people' who front squat inside a cage with safety straps typically.

Unless he/she got horrifically injured .... not interested.

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:02 pm

mbasic wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:50 pm
Skander wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:31 pm I feel like @mbasic would have the link.
I don't follow the type of 'people' who front squat inside a cage with safety straps typically.

I only follow 200lb Adult Males who The Squat outside their antique York rack like the manly men they are

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:03 pm

Barry wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:07 pm I have strap safeties for my PR-4000 and didn't pay any attention to what direction the pins attach to the uprights i.e. whether they pivot onto the uprights from inside the rack or from outside, as this didn't, and doesn't, seem to matter in any way as far as I can tell. I don't see how the orientation can make them any easier or harder or really any different at all. I attach/unattach one side at a time, and I couldn't care less which direction I pivot the bracket.
"A lot easier" was a bit of an overstatement on my part; more of a preference. I like all the hooks to pivot on from the inside. It just feeeeeels easier, maaaaaan.

Skander

Post by Skander » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:38 pm

Ahh, here it is. If those straps had been the other way the safety would have worked better.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:49 pm

jwilson625 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:02 pm
mbasic wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:50 pm

I only follow 200lb Adult Males who The Squat outside their antique York rack like the manly men they are
An Adult Male was 200lb when an Adult Male deadlift was 500lb. Since the Adult Male deadlift is now 800 pounds I can only assume that an Adult Male weighs at least 320lb.

Barry

Post by Barry » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:25 am

The video definitely makes a point for the straps to hook from the outside. I don't see how a dumped bar could push them "out" vs in. But as in the video, dumping one side first certainly unhinged the strap that hinged to the inside of the rack.

And wow, the same guy has a video right after that one of squatting huge weight with the straps about a foot and a half too low to do anything. How does someone lift long enough to rep 700 and not know how to set the safeties???

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:46 am

Skander wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:38 pm Ahh, here it is. If those straps had been the other way the safety would have worked better.
so seeing this, you strap-safety guy's want the C-brackets all facing (the opening) inwards?

220Eric

Post by 220Eric » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:22 pm

I thought the bottom pins in spotter arms were almost useless. This video changed my mind. I had also wondered if there was a correct orientation for j-hooks, I think the opening should face the inside now.

FredM

Post by FredM » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:44 pm

I feel like people didn’t watch the second video where he front squats 500 lbs at RPE 2. How are we still talking about safety straps???

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:29 am

FredM wrote: ↑Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:44 pm I feel like people didn’t watch the second video where he front squats 500 lbs at RPE 2. How are we still talking about safety straps???
yeah

a- he's stronk AF

b- its funny how easy it (finally) was, and that he nearly passed out from the 1st attempt (from rack position I'm guessing).

c- I realize he was blacking out there, but probably had the J-hooks too high.
For front squat I prefer to err on the side of having them too low.
It seems at times the rack position can shift around and squish in to different place, by the time you rerack.
And, obvs, many times you want the thing fucking off you asap....especially a multi-rep heavy set.