Power Rack Thread

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

gtl

Re: Power Rack Thread

Post by gtl » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:29 am

Nice rack, @Barry

You might try some textured Rustoleum paint on the pullup bar for some grip:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum- ... /100121155

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:16 am

gtl wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:29 am Nice rack, @Barry

You might try some textured Rustoleum paint on the pullup bar for some grip:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum- ... /100121155
I haven't tried that one, but I have used this stuff on farmer handles and pull-up bars and it works pretty well:

Barry

Post by Barry » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:09 pm

I got the dip attachment assembled and tried it out for the REP PR-4000 I like using it extending off the front of the rack as the rack itself is sturdiest this way. There's a little too much slop in the attachment if I'm being picky....mainly side to side wobble which actually doesn't matter honestly in use. But if I'm picking nits, this would be it. So in use, its completely fine. But it seems like the side to side wobble could easily be reduced or nearly eliminated with a snugger fit on the rack. So I'd give it a 9/10...it certainly seems well constructed and attaches easily. I'll add pics later. Phone is charging and I'm way too lazy to get up right now.

Thanks for the tips on the paint...I'll check it out if I have any issues with just using chalk.

Skander

Post by Skander » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:05 am

Ooh, nice to see jcups that don't look like death traps, that's awesome! Beautiful rack I'm kind of jealous.

My pull up bar has no knurling, but let's be honest- I've never done enough that that's an issue #fatandalsoweak

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:17 am

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:33 am

"All hype or the real deal" is not something that Coop is ever going to answer for me.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:37 am

murphyreedus wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:33 am "All hype or the real deal" is not something that Coop is ever going to answer for me.
lol
I absolutely knew the first reply would be about Coop.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:11 am

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:37 am
murphyreedus wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:33 am "All hype or the real deal" is not something that Coop is ever going to answer for me.
lol
I absolutely knew the first reply would be about Coop.
Ha! I watched the vid, and my statement stands.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:12 am

murphyreedus wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:11 am Ha! I watched the vid, and my statement stands.
I'm looking, and all i see are earlier "previews"
Probably there will be more reviews coming from other sources.

hector

Post by hector » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:34 pm

Yeah, but Coop sure as fuck will tell you how pretty he thinks the welds are.

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:09 pm

Finally got my platform done and the rack assembled and bolted down:

As I was setting up this weekend, I noticed that Rep sent me two identical J cups and 4 identical hooks for the strap safeties... Usually half the set is mirror image of the other i.e. so you have specific left and right hooks. Not sure if this is a mistake or by design but we'll find out tomorrow...

Otherwise the rack seems great. I got it bolted down to the platform today and it's super sturdy, though my garage floor is uneven so the platform flexes in spots. Welds on the multigrip pull-up bar aren't the prettiest but otherwise the finish is nice. Huge fan of the blue.

I'll be back to NDTFP in no time!

gtl

Post by gtl » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:32 am

jwilson625 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:09 pm Finally got my platform done and the rack assembled and bolted down:

As I was setting up this weekend, I noticed that Rep sent me two identical J cups and 4 identical hooks for the strap safeties... Usually half the set is mirror image of the other i.e. so you have specific left and right hooks. Not sure if this is a mistake or by design but we'll find out tomorrow...

Otherwise the rack seems great. I got it bolted down to the platform today and it's super sturdy, though my garage floor is uneven so the platform flexes in spots. Welds on the multigrip pull-up bar aren't the prettiest but otherwise the finish is nice. Huge fan of the blue.

I'll be back to NDTFP in no time!
Hey, an extra set of Jcups if they end up sending you the other sides! Nice rack, too.

Is that a garage or basement?

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:24 pm

gtl wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:32 am
Hey, an extra set of Jcups if they end up sending you the other sides! Nice rack, too.

Ya, not sure how they're gonna handle it but it seemed like they agreed it was a mistake. I had to send a photo to verify so should hear back tomorrow.

This is a garage; my landlord has an oversized two car garage that he just cleaned so there's a ton of room behind the cars. He's only around a month or two out of the year so doesn't need to use much of it...

SquatsALot

Post by SquatsALot » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:12 pm

Don't really need to worry about knurling on the pullup bar. Just use some chalk. My rogue doesn't have knurling, but the paint is kind of a rougher texture, and it's fine.

Then again, I use chalk for everything, Like, even warmup sets on bench. Keeps the calluses away.

gtl

Post by gtl » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:12 am

jwilson625 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:24 pm

Ya, not sure how they're gonna handle it but it seemed like they agreed it was a mistake. I had to send a photo to verify so should hear back tomorrow.

This is a garage; my landlord has an oversized two car garage that he just cleaned so there's a ton of room behind the cars. He's only around a month or two out of the year so doesn't need to use much of it...
The stairs through me off :lol:

30" inside depth, right? Their safety straps are out of stock. Wonder if they'll put it on backorder, offer you flip down or pin pipes, or $$ back.

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:03 am

gtl wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:12 am
jwilson625 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:24 pm

The stairs through me off :lol:

30" inside depth, right? Their safety straps are out of stock. Wonder if they'll put it on backorder, offer you flip down or pin pipes, or $$ back.
The stairs go to a loft, where most of the crap that used to be down in the garage is now stored :lol:

I got the 24" straps as it was in stock at the time and seemed fine for my needs. The other sizes are supposed to be coming in stock mid-September, so now, I guess.. Not sure if they'll send a whole new set or just the set of 2 hooks; I should find out today. I could probably resolve this immediately with a phone call but I like having the digital record :geek:

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:17 am

Rogue forgot to drill the hole for the safety pin on one of my flip down safeties so they are sending me a new set. Of course they are out of stock until who knows when. I think they are probably OK without the pin, just kind of a belt and suspenders type thing.

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:38 pm

Rep has my strap safeties in stock so they're sending me a new set with mirrored pairs of hooks. Unfortunately they have no J-cups of any type in stock, so I was given the option to wait until late October for a new set or keep the non-mirrored set and take a partial refund. I opted to keep the set I have and they refunded me 50% ($20). Mildly annoying but they did what they could and the customer service was good *shrugs*. Once the new set of strap safeties comes in I'll be able to actually start lifting... For now I've been hitting the pullup bar for a set of fahhve a few times a day when I go by the rack. Loving the multigrip bar and am happy to have the variety.

In the meantime, the plan is to build a couple of these: https://www.catalystathletics.com/artic ... late-Rack/

Barry

Post by Barry » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:53 pm

I've decided to improve the flooring a bit in my home gym, specifically the deadlift area and the flooring inside the power rack. I can't/won't do a full platform as my basement occasionally gets slightly or very wet under worst conditions, and I sure don't want to go through the trouble of moving/lifting/cleaning an enormous, heavy platform. I currently use a single 4x6 horse stall mat in front of the rack, but there are two issues. One is that my feet end up half on the mat and half on the floor when I bench. The other is that my new deadlift bar, coupled with bumper plates I plan to start using, may make the plates wider than the mat when loaded up. Honestly not 100% sure about that though.

Anyway, I'm simply going to buy two new horse stall mats to make the deadlift area 8' wide and 6' deep, and trim my current mat to fit inside the rack. I can't use plywood as my floor is not level/smooth enough and I think a sheet of 3/4 ply would end up wobbly. So , that's the plan. I figure $80 isn't bad.

jwilson625

Post by jwilson625 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:19 pm

jwilson625 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:38 pm Rep has my strap safeties in stock so they're sending me a new set with mirrored pairs of hooks. Unfortunately they have no J-cups of any type in stock, so I was given the option to wait until late October for a new set or keep the non-mirrored set and take a partial refund. I opted to keep the set I have and they refunded me 50% ($20). Mildly annoying but they did what they could and the customer service was good *shrugs*. Once the new set of strap safeties comes in I'll be able to actually start lifting... For now I've been hitting the pullup bar for a set of fahhve a few times a day when I go by the rack. Loving the multigrip bar and am happy to have the variety.

In the meantime, the plan is to build a couple of these: https://www.catalystathletics.com/artic ... late-Rack/
Rep sent me 4 new strap hooks aaaaaaaand they're all the same again... Same orientation as the first set too 😒