Training Log Categories (Poll)

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Should we have multiple categories for training logs or just one?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:43 am

One
66%
More than one
34%

Total votes: 38

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Re: Training Log Categories (Poll)

Post by mikeylikey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:00 am

Tags are a great idea.

Man, we are so smart.

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:08 am

mikeylikey wrote:Tags are a great idea.

Man, we are so smart.
This could work I think. I would be ok with one forum or multiples. The only downside to one forum would be if this place got a lot bigger. Everyone on one forum would be a lot to sort through. I like the idea of forums specific to types of training (novice, strongman, powerlifting, general strength training, etc.). But I see where others are coming from who just want one forum. Having to click through multiple forums to follow friends in varying disciplines couple be a pain in the butt.

I guess I feel like Billy Pilgrim with the Rippening and everything else. I am going with the flow! ...so it goes.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:21 am

Les wrote:
mikeylikey wrote: Having to click through multiple forums to follow friends in varying disciplines couple be a pain in the butt.
It appears this forum has a Thread Subscribe feature, something that is sorely lacking at Some Other Forums. Which probably makes it easier to follow logs, whether they're scattered across several categories, or buried on page 6 of one uber category.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:27 am

unruhschuh wrote:The clearest distinction is between novices and beyond, but the question remains, how many novices will end up here.

Maybe this?
  • Novices
  • RPE
  • % based
edit: Those don't have to be subforums. Maybe there is a way to categorize threads via tags. This way someone could go from novice to % to RPE back to %, competing, not competeng etc. There could also be a feature to filter these threads, and only have e.g. RPE+competing listed.
I voted for more than one, but having read this comment, I vote for this. Visible tags, and if possible, filtering by tags, sounds great. With either a predefined list of tags we can select from or a sticky post recommending them(and how to add them to your thread).

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:36 am

While we're on the topic of sticky posts, one suggesting what info to include in the first post of your log would be great. Age, height, weight, training history, PRs, etc.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:42 am

TimK wrote:While we're on the topic of sticky posts, one suggesting what info to include in the first post of your log would be great. Age, height, weight, training history, PRs, etc.
I like to think I did a pretty good job with my initial few posts in my log.

And now that someone mentioned tags, I like that a little better. I'm still sort of on the fence about splitting up the logs- if I had to get to page 6 to find someone's log who hasn't trained in two days, that would be a bit of a pain. But if you could sort/filter by tags, that would be really cool. "Olympic lifting" tag? Uncheck, I'm not going to do the math to convert your lifts from Kilos!

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:48 am

Allentown wrote:
TimK wrote:While we're on the topic of sticky posts, one suggesting what info to include in the first post of your log would be great. Age, height, weight, training history, PRs, etc.
I like to think I did a pretty good job with my initial few posts in my log.
You did, but I think a sticky would be a good idea to get new people to follow suit.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:50 am

Man, we are so smart.
Ahem:
mikeylikey's log wrote:Ugh, the log section on this site really needs to be broken into categories like "Advanced" or "Beginner" or "non-lifting poser" (me)

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:58 am

mikeylikey wrote:It appears this forum has a Thread Subscribe feature, something that is sorely lacking at Some Other Forums. Which probably makes it easier to follow logs, whether they're scattered across several categories, or buried on page 6 of one uber category.
Wait what?

I don't see that here, and I used it extensively on the previous weight training forum I frequented.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:05 am

Well, there are seven other people here with a brain.

There should be multiple categories for the same reason we have different subforum for "training" and "technique." Which is to make it easier to find what you're actually looking for. Especially if we get more and more people on this site, if we only have one list of ALL TRAINING LOGS, it's going to be a fucking headache to try to find the logs of people who are strong and handsome (me) in the pile of aesthetically deficient weenies (you).

EXACTLY how one categorizes them isn't terribly important, as long as the categories are fairly clear. Novice, Competitive, Non-Competitive, as other have mentioned. Novice, Barbell Sports, General Training. People, "people," female, male-to-female.

Whatever. The point is that "open minded" jagoffs with way too much time on their hands will still be able to look through logs of different lifters with different goals if they want. But without categories, those of us with a specific target in mind will have undue difficulty finding it, as the number of training logs increases.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:06 am

Root wrote:

Man, we are so smart.
Ahem:
mikeylikey's log wrote:Ugh, the log section on this site really needs to be broken into categories like "Advanced" or "Beginner" or "non-lifting poser" (me)
Yeah I mean, okay you helped turn my kernel of an idea into a more fully formed, developed idea. Which, although resembling the original idea very little, still has its genesis in that idea. Of mine. That I had first.

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:07 am

TimK wrote:While we're on the topic of sticky posts, one suggesting what info to include in the first post of your log would be great. Age, height, weight, training history, PRs, pictures, etc
FTFY.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 am

mikeylikey wrote:
TimK wrote:While we're on the topic of sticky posts, one suggesting what info to include in the first post of your log would be great. Age, height, weight, training history, PRs, pictures, etc
FTFY.
that's going to make for a really sticky post.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:45 am

DirtyRed wrote:Well, there are seven other people here with a brain.

There should be multiple categories for the same reason we have different subforum for "training" and "technique." Which is to make it easier to find what you're actually looking for. Especially if we get more and more people on this site, if we only have one list of ALL TRAINING LOGS, it's going to be a fucking headache to try to find the logs of people who are strong and handsome (me) in the pile of aesthetically deficient weenies (you).

EXACTLY how one categorizes them isn't terribly important, as long as the categories are fairly clear. Novice, Competitive, Non-Competitive, as other have mentioned. Novice, Barbell Sports, General Training. People, "people," female, male-to-female.

Whatever. The point is that "open minded" jagoffs with way too much time on their hands will still be able to look through logs of different lifters with different goals if they want. But without categories, those of us with a specific target in mind will have undue difficulty finding it, as the number of training logs increases.
True, if we're planning for expansion, keeping track of 100+ logs is going to be a disaster. Tags aren't enough to deal with it.

GregoryDomnin

Post by GregoryDomnin » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:05 am

What about categories

Powerlifting
Oly
Generalized Physical Preparedness (GPP) and General Health
Sports Specific (for DirtyRed's Golf blog) <<Sport required to be in title.

cwd

Post by cwd » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:10 am

If we must have categories, we need only 3:
Competitors
Novices
Just Fucking Around

unruhschuh
Männlicher Photoshop-Experte

Post by unruhschuh » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:16 am

We could combine the two approaches: Lets say there is one Forum for all Logs. Then there are e.g. three virtual forums named "novice" "intermediate" "advanced" (or whatever) where all threads with the tag of the same name appear automatically.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:40 am

Personally I am not going to start a new log every time I switch "categories" and I doubt many other people would either.

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

Post by d0uevenlift » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:06 pm

Yeah, this is a tough one. On one hand, having multiple training log forums is going to be annoying if you have to bounce back and forth when following lifters (e.g. I would stalk Cody and Manveer on the SS forums, but Cody, strong as he is, had his log on the Intermediate section, and Manveer in Competitive).

On the other hand, if we had 500 users keeping a log on the site, the Training Logs forum could become a disaster, even with tags. Presumably, you would subscribe to threads so you can keep track, but with hundreds of users on one subforum, it would be less enticing to poke around and see what others are up to, help them out and/or what you can possibly learn from them. I mean, if you're subscribed to 5-10 people, for example, you might not have the mental energy to browse around.

Another potential future issue with having only one forum is that if we grow large enough, your log could get buried in the third or fourth page if you have a day or two off of training and don't update. Again, anyone who really cares about someone's particular log will subscribe/bookmark, but for those casually browsing around a lot of these logs may be hard to find.

My main concern is that a singular training log subforum could become an unfettered mess, but I also understand that some people don't want to bounce around trying to find logs.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:48 pm