Training Log Categories (Poll)

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Should we have multiple categories for training logs or just one?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:43 am

One
66%
More than one
34%

Total votes: 38

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Re: Training Log Categories (Poll)

Post by DirtyRed » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:45 pm

d0uevenlift wrote:My main concern is that a singular training log subforum could become an unfettered mess, but I also understand that some people don't want to bounce around trying to find logs.
Categories should make it even EASIER to find logs one is looking for. If you have a specific log in mind, you should remember what subforum it is in, and will have fewer other logs to wade through (or you could just subscribe). If you don't, but want to see what Super Stronk people are doing, you can go to the Super Stronk subforum instead of having to wade through a master list that includes Mikey's (the other one) log.

The only problem that might arise is people that stop training for powerlifting and start training for synchronized shitposting (totally a sport) or some such, and don't want to bother starting a new log in the other subforum. Though I'm sure a mod could move the thread if asked, but that would likely lead to a thread titled TRAINING FOR MAX SNATCH (aka Root's mom) being in the DirtyRed's Frontal Lobe Memorial Rugby forum.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:54 am

DirtyRed wrote:If you don't, but want to see what Super Stronk people are doing, you can go to the Super Stronk subforum instead of having to wade through a master list that includes Mikey's (the other one) log.
Who gets to decide that they are super stronk? The OP? Set a minimum Wilks score? Must be at least this tall to ride this ride?

Stratifying logs by arbitrary distinctions is silly. I always hated that about the other forum. Using tags is brilliant.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:17 am

Cody wrote:
DirtyRed wrote:If you don't, but want to see what Super Stronk people are doing, you can go to the Super Stronk subforum instead of having to wade through a master list that includes Mikey's (the other one) log.
Who gets to decide that they are super stronk? The OP? Set a minimum Wilks score? Must be at least this tall to ride this ride?

Stratifying logs by arbitrary distinctions is silly. I always hated that about the other forum. Using tags is brilliant.
+1

Assuming it's possible to filter by tags, then tags accomplish the same thing as categories (in terms of browsing random logs of a similar type) without the extra step of clicking back to the index and into a different forum. If the tags are done right they could be much more powerful for narrowing down exactly what you're looking for, too. There should probably be tagging conventions set forth from on high to make it work properly... so one person doesn't use the tag "powerlifting" while another uses "power lifting," etc.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:53 am

If the forum permissions allow it I'd prefer just one training log section where people could perhaps change or add several "tags" to their log e.g. "novice", "HLM", "TM", "GPP", "powerlifting", "competition" etc.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:18 am

GlasgowJock wrote:If the forum permissions allow it I'd prefer just one training log section where people could perhaps change or add several "tags" to their log e.g. "novice", "HLM", "TM", "GPP", "powerlifting", "competition" etc.
The initialism spam is going to be confusing for those that don't already know what they stand for.

Though a tag system where one could select certain tags and thereby filter logs that don't include one or all of the selected tags would solve any issue finding what one is looking for rather nicely. I'm not sure what the reality of actually implementing a system like that is given the software in question and such, however.

unruhschuh
Männlicher Photoshop-Experte

Post by unruhschuh » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:06 am

mikeylikey wrote:
Les wrote:
mikeylikey wrote: Having to click through multiple forums to follow friends in varying disciplines couple be a pain in the butt.
It appears this forum has a Thread Subscribe feature, something that is sorely lacking at Some Other Forums. Which probably makes it easier to follow logs, whether they're scattered across several categories, or buried on page 6 of one uber category.
I just found out the Other Forum has this feature as well. On any thread, at the top gray bar click on "Thread Tools" and then "Subscribe to this Thread". You can access the subscribed threads via the blue bar at the top clicking on "Quick Links" -> "Subscribed Threads"

cwd

Post by cwd » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:24 am

unruhschuh wrote:
mikeylikey wrote:
Les wrote:
mikeylikey wrote: Having to click through multiple forums to follow friends in varying disciplines couple be a pain in the butt.
It appears this forum has a Thread Subscribe feature, something that is sorely lacking at Some Other Forums. Which probably makes it easier to follow logs, whether they're scattered across several categories, or buried on page 6 of one uber category.
I just found out the Other Forum has this feature as well. On any thread, at the top gray bar click on "Thread Tools" and then "Subscribe to this Thread". You can access the subscribed threads via the blue bar at the top clicking on "Quick Links" -> "Subscribed Threads"
Yes, I use this feature on that forum (hereafter referred to as Egypt).

I couldn't find a "subscribed threads" link here on Exodus.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:28 am

cwd wrote:Yes, I use this feature on that forum (hereafter referred to as Egypt).

You can subscribe to a thread in the bottom right portion of the page (link at the bottom).

You can view your subscriptions in the user control panel (upper left corner).

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:05 am

So, it seems like we've settled on one training log category with tags? We'll figure out how to do that. Might come with the update to phpBB.

OCG

Post by OCG » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:12 am

I feel like this forum doesn't currently have enough users that this is a huge immediate concern. But I guess it's probably useful to think about going forwards.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:14 am

Could each person get something like "subscription groups?" Like I could have a group of subscriptions for people's logs who are way stronger than me, a group for those I'd consider peers, a group for friends, a group for shitposting threads I like, etc.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:15 am

OCG wrote:I feel like this forum doesn't currently have enough users that this is a huge immediate concern. But I guess it's probably useful to think about going forwards.
Well, the forum has been open for less than a week and we already have 43 logs. So...seems appropriate to address now.

Also, welcome.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:17 am

Manveer wrote:
OCG wrote:I feel like this forum doesn't currently have enough users that this is a huge immediate concern. But I guess it's probably useful to think about going forwards.
Well, the forum has been open for less than a week and we already have 43 logs. So...seems appropriate to address now.

Also, welcome.
The appropriate buzzword is "Scalable solution"

OCG

Post by OCG » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:58 am

Manveer wrote:Also, welcome.
Thanks. WTFGilchrist invited me. Blame him for everything that follows.

DirtyRed
Champion in his own mind

Post by DirtyRed » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Manveer wrote:
cwd wrote:Yes, I use this feature on that forum (hereafter referred to as Egypt).

You can subscribe to a thread in the bottom right portion of the page (link at the bottom).

You can view your subscriptions in the user control panel (upper left corner).
You sure the subscribe link isn't in the bottom left? Because that's where it is for me.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:42 pm

Yeah, bottom left. My mistake.

cwd

Re: subscribe

Post by cwd » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:49 pm

But subscribing isn't very useful on this forum.

Back in Egypt, there's a quick-link to list my subscribed threads list, which works as my own private report on the threads I'm interested in. Here I have to click several times to reach a similar display.
Also, subscribed threads cause an email on every update here, which I don't like.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Right now we are running the most basic, out of the box forum software. We wanted to get the site up quickly because there was a lot of demand. It will improve over time. It's a volunteer crew, so it will take a little longer.

cwd

Post by cwd » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:31 pm

Manveer wrote:Right now we are running the most basic, out of the box forum software. We wanted to get the site up quickly because there was a lot of demand. It will improve over time. It's a volunteer crew, so it will take a little longer.
Thank you for your work. It's a good forum.