Power Block Dumbbells

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

MattimusMaximus

Power Block Dumbbells

Post by MattimusMaximus » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:03 am

Anyone here own a set of Powerblock Dumbbells? I thought I saw @KDW had them in a home gym pic on one of these threads.

I'm thinking of getting a pair for both cost savings and space saving but they look kind of awkward/bulky and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Are they any good?

gtl

Re: Power Block Dumbbells

Post by gtl » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:25 am

My old gym had the power block dumbbells up to 100lbs.

I have the Bowfelx version up to 52lbs. I got them for "free" in exchange for training someone.

They are good. I mean, as good as adjustable dumbbells can be in my opinion. It sucks because you don't really want to drop them ever (even if by accident). But, they work. I'd prefer real dumbbells, but cost and space would be tradeoffs worth taking.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:47 am

gtl wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:25 am My old gym had the power block dumbbells up to 100lbs.

I have the Bowfelx version up to 52lbs. I got them for "free" in exchange for training someone.

They are good. I mean, as good as adjustable dumbbells can be in my opinion. It sucks because you don't really want to drop them ever (even if by accident). But, they work. I'd prefer real dumbbells, but cost and space would be tradeoffs worth taking.
What happens if you drop them?

gtl

Post by gtl » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:51 am

lol the Ironmaster are not in the same category as power blocks or bowflex

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:54 am

gtl wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:51 am lol the Ironmaster are not in the same category as power blocks or bowflex
OK. Since the price is so much higher, this review might not be fair. But it seems informative.

https://blog.adamantbarbell.com/1901/th ... selecttech

The Ironmasters are kind of slow to setup and the plates take up a lot of room if you don't have the expensive table.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:27 am

gtl wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:51 am lol the Ironmaster are not in the same category as power blocks or bowflex
To me ironmaster and powerblock are the two to pick between. One is more durable and feels/looks just like a real commercial dumbbell while the other is much faster to change weights. Price is similar, ironmasters are actually cheaper I think, at least for the 120lb set.

I don't like the bowflex because they rattle and don't feel very solid, and they are huge even when you're only using light weight because of how they are designed.

RdC

Post by RdC » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:55 am

I like my PowerBlocks. Caveat: I am and will always consider myself a novice lifter and I'm young. But here's what I know about the blocks:

My wife gave me the starter Classic PowerBlock (50lb per block) set and stand for Christmas 2017. I like that the blocks are space saving, they are easy to increment at 2.5lb intervals (using adder blocks that come with the set), they are quick and easy to change weight and, the stand makes handling them so much easier. FYI: I have big paws and I have no trouble with the blocks. I don't drop dumbbells and/or, barbells because I never go to absolute failure, so I don't know how they would respond to a drop test.

I'm about to order the next stage (50-70lbs). The most weight you can get with the classic series is 90lbs, but the urethane series goes to 125lbs. I got a pair of 100lb dumbbells that I bought at 50 cents a pound a year ago and I about died getting them into my workout area, so for my young ass the classic series at 90lbs each will be enough.

I also heard some fellows say that when dumbbells get to 70 pounds or more getting them into position can become a real pain in the butt, particularly if you are a solo lifter. Hence, I'm going to also order some power hooks (different company).

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:04 am

TimK wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:27 am
To me ironmaster and powerblock are the two to pick between. One is more durable and feels/looks just like a real commercial dumbbell while the other is much faster to change weights. Price is similar, ironmasters are actually cheaper I think, at least for the 120lb set.

I don't like the bowflex because they rattle and don't feel very solid, and they are huge even when you're only using light weight because of how they are designed.
Why would anyone spend $1400 on plastic? Surely you can get this cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.roguefitness.com/powerblock ... _cQAvD_BwE

I wouldn't spend that kind of money on something that would break if I dropped it. And the weird box around the hand thing seems odd. But quick change and low clutter would be nice.

The Ironmaster pricing is a little confusing. You have to accumulate the add ons. If you just get the 45 set, you have to buy the 75, and then you have to buy the 120. You can't get the 120 without the 75 first. I was a little surprised at this.

-----

If you get the table and 75 set, the pricing is a little different.

They are pretty, durable, and have a lifetime guarantee. But they are slower to change than blocks. They are faster and easier to change than spin locks. And the smooth side makes getting them up friendly on the thighs.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:16 am

One other thing, the powerblocks have some odd jumps in the increments. It's not that bad though. From their website:
Increments achieved: 2.5 (adder weight), 5, 7.5, 10,15, 17.5, 20, 25, 27.5, 30, 35, 37.5, 40, 45, 47.5 ,50, 55, 57.5, 60, 65, 67.5, 70, 75, 77.5, 80, 85, 87.5 90, 102.5, 105, 107.5, 120, 122.5 and 125 lbs per hand
40-45
50-55
60-65
70-75
80-85
90-102.5!
107.5-120!

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:24 am

Ya, no way. Look at the steel pin hack for smaller increments. That would make me sad.

Look how much trouble he's having around 3:30 to get it over 90. These are inelegant to say the least.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:24 am

The ones you linked are their "commercial" line. The home set is closer to the ironmaster pricing but still more expensive:

http://www.powerblock.com/prod_homeuse_u90stage3.php

As far as droppability, I've seen YouTube reviewers that claim the Urethane powerblocks can be dropped, but they aren't warrantied for drops from greater than 1 foot so not sure if I believe it. I don't necessarily believe that plastic=crap or that anything that can't be dropped is a piece of shit. Personally I don't think I've ever dropped a dumbbell in training, although I realize that in certain situations that might be the safest way to fail a lift. With the powerblocks I guess you would just have to be careful to avoid those situations. Quick change might be worth that tradeoff for a lot of people.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:30 am

iamsmu wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:24 am Ya, no way. Look at the steel pin hack for smaller increments. That would make me sad.

Look how much trouble he's having around 3:30 to get it over 90. These are inelegant to say the least.
I mean, it still looks a lot easier/faster than changing weights on the ironmasters.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:32 am

TimK wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:24 am The ones you linked are their "commercial" line. The home set is closer to the ironmaster pricing but still more expensive:

As far as droppability, I've seen YouTube reviewers that claim the Urethane powerblocks can be dropped, but they aren't warrantied for drops from greater than 1 foot so not sure if I believe it. I don't necessarily believe that plastic=crap or that anything that can't be dropped is a piece of shit. Personally I don't think I've ever dropped a dumbbell in training, although I realize that in certain situations that might be the safest way to fail a lift. With the powerblocks I guess you would just have to be careful to avoid those situations. Quick change might be worth that tradeoff for a lot of people.
Ah. More like $1k on their site. That makes a little more sense, I guess.

I see how a low weight set of PBs might be nice for people who do drop sets or supersets, moving from curls to flys or something like that. But the gaps still suck. Over 90 the gaps are odd and the locking system is clugy.

I don't drop them either, but I do something set them down a little hard. I'd hate to have to worry about that. Ya, not all plastic is crap, but there's no way I'd spend a grand on them given the durability worries and the ugly locking mechanism.

KDW
HODGE

Post by KDW » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:44 pm

I have the 50 lb metallic powerblocks.
Guess what I never change the weight from 50 lbs unless my forearm starts acting up. The 50s are pretty easy to switch the weights up since it is pretty light. You just need to make sure that the pin makes it all the way across. I've had it not go all the way across and it sucks. Also sometimes even when you get it all the way across, one or two of the nonselected weights stick. It probably because most of the time I just use 50 lbs.

thejosef

Post by thejosef » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:24 pm

I've had both sets.. Ironmasters and the Urethane Powerblocks. I prefer the Urethane Powerblocks, but both are pretty phenomenal. The quick changes on the PBs are hard to beat and they feel really well made. The PBs do look blocky, but they are fine in use, IMO. The bulkiness is a little different on bicep curls, but for presses it's no issue for me at al. The ironmasters feel like more of a traditional dumbbell, but are a little slow/annoying to change weights, and I prefer the contoured handle of the Powerblocks.. it just centers in the hand nicely. . The Ironmaster handle is a bit long and you really have to make sure your hand is centered on presses. The positive of the IMs if you get a 75 lb. set with stand for the price of a 70 lb set of U90s.

And just an FYI, Powerblock.com has FREE SHIPPING on their site from Feb. 9th til Feb. 14th. Coupon Code: VAL18. Pretty nice deal.