A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

bobmen10000

Re: Fat Guy Lifts Light-to-Moderate Weights - Montana Edition

Post by bobmen10000 » Wed May 09, 2018 5:28 pm

Squat

3x4@75%
4x3@75% (185lbs)
Shoulders were really tight, felt as good/bad as normal. Last rep of final set felt better than the rest, saved the best for last.

TnG Bench
1@85%,(235lbs)
3x4@75% (205lbs)
4x3@75%
Doofed on the 1 rep by hitting front of j hook (was a theme today on all my sets, must have been an inch or two higher on the bench than normal); repeated the rep cleany because I am hard headed, programming and progress be damned.

Kettlebell & Rickshaw Rows
7 minute density block
40x35lb kettlebell, 15x100lbs rickshaw bent over row

Density block felt fine, overdid it a little bit by adding bent over rows. Wanted to play with new toy from Edge Fitness Systems. Much smaller than I expected, a nice multi-functional tool for the home gym; my girlfriend had to put it together because apparently I am incapable of the fine motor movements required to use a ratchet and wrench.
http://www.edgefitnessystems.com/rickshaw.html

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Thu May 10, 2018 4:36 pm

Deadlift
4x4@75% (335lbs)
Felt better than the Strength deadlifts. No shoes and a little wider stance. Need to work on
lockout and hip hinge. (haven't been keeping track but wore straps for sets 2&3)

Overhead Press (used BW Viking Press Attachment) 90lbs
10 minute density block
40x90lbs Press; 30x35lbs kb swing, 15x62lbs kb swing
Went off program a little and added kb swings to the block - I like swings, I admit it; I also like Digimon more than Pokemon.

Accessory (lifter's choice)
Squat and Pull Sled 270lbs (plus sled) 10 yards, Rope Pull Sled (270lbs plus sled) 10 Yards;
Rickshaw (farmer) Carry 100lbs x 20 yards - did a total of 4 times each for 160 yards of
total movement.

Got a real big pump doing the mini medley above. The carry portion was too easy though for the distance covered (basement), will add weight next time. Not used to rope pulls, used to pull nearly 400lbs plus the sled for a longer distance. I used to be pretty too.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:12 pm

Squat (225lbs 100%)
3@60%
2@70%
2 singles @77.5%
1@~82%
1@90%
1x2@80%
Squats felt fine. Minor pain in elbow and shoulders decided to go with SSB to maximize
my bench gainzzz.

Thinking about switching week-to-week from power to ssb. If I can get my squat to match
my bench, or at least in close proximity, I may do a local meet late summer to early fall so
having sometime under the bar should help.

Bench (275lbs 100%)
3@60%
2@70%
2 singles @77.5%
1@~82% (225lbs)
1@90% (250lbs)
2x2@80% (225 lbs, miscalculated)

Closed-grip Bench Press
1xamrap @70% (195lbs)
195x12 - NEW PR - Literally had nothing left in the tank, bar path was going sideways, by
the last rep I was on empty, hit the j cup and managed an ugly rack.

Power bench was much tougher than last week. I am beat. Not sure if it is lack of rest, diet or devil goats living in my basement. All of the above is likely.

KB Curls
3x12 25lbs

Jay870

Post by Jay870 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:02 am

Thats a fast 90%!

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:48 am

Jay870 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:02 am Thats a fast 90%!
I imagine my actual max is between 275 and 325. Will take it slow and push up the current max 10% to 15% next cycle if @Hanley approves.

Right now am just working on consistency with the lift and making sure my form isn't complete shit - I tend to overthink squatting and waste a lot of mental and physical energy worrying about it. I mean, seriously, it isn't the most manly of lifts, like the dead lift, and most folks only care about what you bench anyway.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sat May 12, 2018 8:54 am

bobmen10000 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:48 amI tend to overthink squatting and waste a lot of mental and physical energy
Yeah, you've got the yips at the bottom of the squat. But your mechanics are fine.

We might have to have you squat to death-metal with flashing strobes to get out of your head while squatting.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Sun May 13, 2018 2:31 pm

Squat
3 singles @85% 190lbs
6x2@80% 185lbs
Squats felt fine - working on getting my grip in, shoulder mobility still sucks. Went really fast, less than 15 minutes for squatting including rests. This helped because bench and dl went very slowly.

Bench
3 singles @85%, 2 ct pause (235lbs)
3x2@80% (220lbs)
Bench felt good, messed up on the first 2 ct pause, seems to be a pattern.

Deadlift
1@80% (380lbs)
1@85% (405lbs)
8 singles @80% (380lbs)
Looks like I was straight legging them again, last single felt the best by far. Reps didn't feel too bad, used straps for half the single reps.

Overall not a bad day, started to slow down in the middle, particularly on the 3x3 bench and deadlift singles. Almond M&Ms saved the day. I can only imagine the gainzzz had if I had peanut M&Ms handy - nectar of the chubby Gods they are.

Need to get a pair of shoes for deadlifting, my basement floor is dirty and covered in sharp, rusty objects so continuing to go barefoot will likely lead to catastrophic injury, death and/or lockjaw.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:57 pm

No training to report, have a mini-respite until Wednesday. The following is more of a mission statement/rant-on-self:

Nearly four years ago my mother passed away, due to the nature and flexibility of working for myself, I was able to spend most of the last few months with her. During that time I had what I now believe to be a mid-life crisis, or as I later learned the first in a series of midlife crisis(es). I decided going to the gym was a healthy and productive way to let out the pent up frustration and sadness associated with watching my mother slowly die. I had sporadically went to the gym since college, doing a variety of series bullshit, however this was the first time I constantly trained. Now, it was still mostly the same silly bullshit I had always done, most of my work involving very light dumbbells, machine assisted movements and the leg press (probably the most useful and therapeutic of those exercises.) I also ran quite a few 5K races, and while I hate running as a rule, 5ks are fun because you can drift behind elderly ladies until last half mile, pass them up and hear their curses as you demonstrate your superiority over their frail septuagenarian selves. After about 5 months, spurred in part by mother's passing, I wanted to try something different.

I knew of starting strength, had really enjoyed reading the forum posts and eventually used the wiki (not the book so I did not do the program) to formulate a barbell program. I stayed with it for 4 or 5 months, which included my first foray in deadlifting and squatting, both of which (still) terrified me, managed some decent enough progress with some minimal coaching guidance (lift like this, not like that, good enough, pay me now) - 315 squat, 240 bench and 425 deadlift, lost a lot of weight and then stopped because of another mid-life crisis which was spurred by not having an adequate retirement plan. (3 years later, I still don't have a good plan, although I do have some actual real assets and much less debt, and I fine with the government/my girlfriend (maybe wife) taking care of me when I am old and frail)

Anyway, I didn't do any real exercise for next 30 months and spent a lot of that time in a bit of an existential funk/reading & watching videos of kittens and other people lifting weights. Last September, I was diagnosed with type II diabetes after several months of testing to deduce the cause of severe acid reflux and nocturia - note to self, my online medical file mentions fat deposits on my liver, something my doctor probably should have mentioned as a likely a symptom and/or cause of metabolic syndrome that predated my diabetes diagnosis by many, many months. I decided that being super fat and lazy, while arguably super awesome in a decadent Roman Emperor sense, was probably not a great long term staying alive strategy so I cut out soda, lost a bit of weight (enough to move down from Type III obesity to Type II, morbid no more) and reduced my A1C from 7.3 to 4.4 in a few months without medication with most of my exercise involving a prowler and sled. Since I so easily defeated diabetes imagine what I could do if I was really strong - I am joking, not about defeating diabetes because I totally did but being strong wasn't really a motivating factor. Thus I started training again last November, in large part because exercise makes me happy, I consider myself a hobbyist lifter.

Being much fatter than last time, and formerly diabetic, seemed to makes me stronger, at least on the bench and deadlift, so within a few weeks I had eclipsed my old PRs (except fucking squats which shouldn't count) and am here now. All told I have been actually training with a barbell on the squat, bench and deadlift for about 13 months total with 30 months in between efforts; most of that time has been fairly inefficient, the last month or so with the Montana Method is the first real program I have ever strictly & consistently followed. I hope to stick with it this time. I really enjoy working out, training or whatever you want to call it. I need to lose more weight though and learn how to juggle.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:06 pm

Squat

4x3@80% (185lbs)
2x2@80%
Squats went as well as usual; didn't warm up enough due to spending an inordinate amount of time trying to remove a barbell from its cylindrical cardboard prison but felt good by the end.

TnG Bench
4x3@80% (235 lbs)
3x2@80%
Bench was really tough at first then I moved down slightly towards the front of the rack and voilà, the last couple sets were a cake walk. I think this is why I hit the hooks every so often as well, need to pay attention to positioning and or grow longer.

Deadlift
5 singles @80%
Best deadlift session since I started on Montana. Last set felt nearly effortless, my giant red head notwithstanding.
Wore my shoes for 2 of the 5 sets because I forgot. Didn't seem to matter as much, my form was (seemed?) much better than the previous sessions.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:47 pm

Squat
3@60% (135 lbs)
2@70% (160 lbs)
5 singles @75% (170 lbs)

Squat seemed a little high. Sort of rushed through singles, did warm up a good bit though with hip/mobility band.

Bench
3@60% (175 lbs)
2@70% (210 lbs)
5 singles @75% (220 lbs)

Felt fairly easy, did better at positioning, I noticed my lockout is a little soft, tried to remedy on last single.

10 minute Density Block
KB Rows@25lbsx50; Sled Squat & Row 205lbs (plus sled) 5x10yards; Sled Rope Pull 205lbs (plus sled) 5x10yards.

Since I had an extra day of rest due work scheduling, added in sled work. Felt pretty good overall. I can almost do one chin up, however, I need several minutes in-between attempts. Progress, slow, steady and ever so slow...did I mention slow.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Sun May 20, 2018 1:37 pm

Semi-test day, end of cycle 1 (4 weeks plus a couple sessions to the Montana Method>0

Squat
4x2@85% (190 lbs)
or new rep max
Felt alright, last two sets the bar was better situated and I was much tighter than usual, not sure if it helped the movement, although I was more comfortable with the bar so secure.

Bench
250 lbs x6 (AMRAP) @85% (PR)
I lost tightness between reps 4 and 5, really think I had more reps in me if my positioning and form would have held; however, with that said, I didn't have any actual reps in me after 6 - that was an @RPE 9.5. Recently upping my E1RM to 295 was pretty accurate based on this test, although I think that for one actual rep I could bench 300+ right now. I tend to do better, I think, on 1 to 3 rep set as it limits minimizes the chance for my form (lose tightness and leg drive) to break down.

Deadlift
1@92% (435 lbs)
Did not really warm up - which is foolish but I was still pissed and amped about bench so I rushed through some light hex bar reps, did a few reps of 355, a couple at 405 then went right to it. Felt fine until about mid thigh, it felt like it caught on something and looking at the video I think the bar may have snagged slightly on my pants/p. That, or it was just an awkward sticking point. Seriously considered going for a higher weight but decided that I would listen to the professional and wait until the next cycle or two to try for 500 lbs.

Middling results for the semi-test day; overall really pleased with the cycle. I have virtually no fatigue or real soreness for the first time in a very long while - lifting or not.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:28 pm

Belt Squat
6x6@70% (220 lbs)
Belt Squat Machine felt a little weird, the weight was probably right or a little heavy. Definitely felt the burn - will have to experiment with the weights.

Bench
7x6@70% (210 lbs)
Much more volume than I am used to (or as my great aunt was fond of saying What The Fuck, @Hanley.) Final set felt the best. Kept pretty strict to less than 3 minutes between sets, almost hit the wall on the final rep of set 5 but actually felt stronger the last couple sets. Second wind is a real thing or not. I will pretend it is.

KB Rows
10 minute density block
30x35lbs; 20x62lbs
I was sweaty, tired and desiring a twix. Had a twix been readily available it is possible I would managed more reps. Or went into an immediate diabetic coma.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:00 pm

Rickshaw Bar Deadlift
5 sets of 4@~72% (345 lbs)
Weight was fine; grip was a major issue. I didn't think the non-knurled handles would be that big of an issue, I was wrong. My hands were on fire, my actual calluses are fairly worn down so they were in no danger of tearing, however, the pain was nearly intolerable - had trouble touching the bar without flinching on the final set before I put on straps.

Figure 8 straps sucked in this instance but are doable, need to find an alternative I think. Also, even with a shorter ROM, the weight feels comprable or even a little heavier than conventional - I might be fatigued from yesterday though.

Overhead Press
145 lbs top single (I suck at overhead press, go figure that largely ignoring a lift leads to little progress.)

7 minutes with 80% of top single

18x115 lbs - didn't feel like I was moving this slowly, although I forget to set the safeties and was a little skittish after realizing it mid density block, didn't want to hurt my pretty green plates. Also, the hooks were set a little high. Clusterfuck overall today. Tomorrow should be awesome :lol:

bobmen10000

10 LBS PR on Bench

Post by bobmen10000 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:40 pm

Squat (E1RM 240 lbs)
1x3@60%
1x2@70%
2 singles @77.5%
1@~82% (200 lbs)
1@90% (215 lbs)

Squats were good. No real doms to speak of, perhaps Hanley was wrong when he thought they were acoming based on Wednesday workout; although I wish that I had used the SSB as my hands still hurt like hell from yesterday. Even lightly gripping the knurling was inbetween really uncomfortable to outright oh-shit-this-feels-like-my-hands-are-on-fire.

Bench (300 E1RM)
3@60%
2@70%
2 singles @77.5%
1@85% (255 lbs)
1@92% (actual 95% at 285 lbs - NEW 10 lbs PR)

Singles were fine, overshot the last single on purpose - sorry. Wanted to test an actual PR, didn't go too badly. Need more practice obviously with heavier singles, will stick to the program from now on.

Closed-grip Bench Press
2-3x8@65% bench (195 lbs)

Did two sets since I overshot the heavy single. Felt relatively easy. Overall: happy with the session, relatively pain free and managed to complete with less than stellar rest the last couple nights. A day's rest will do me good, provided I can actually sleep in.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri May 25, 2018 6:11 pm

Nice bench PR!

Keep kicking ass.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Sat May 26, 2018 4:11 pm

Watching some of the initial Exodus meet videos inspired me to not rest today. Probably not a great idea, nonetheless here is a snipped from my chubby guy medley.

5x Medley below, a 3-4 minute break between sets

Rickshaw Carry 190lbs@20 yards; Sled Squat & Row 325lbs (plus sled) @10 yards; Sled Rope Pull 325lbs (plus sled) @10 yards; 20lbs Slam Ball @ 5 slams; 35lbs Kettlebell Swings @5 swings

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Sat May 26, 2018 4:13 pm

mgil wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:11 pm Nice bench PR!

Keep kicking ass.
Thanks for the kinds words, really appreciate it.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:54 pm

Squat

5x3@195 lbs
Squats were good. Nothing major to report, may use SSB next time to save time as it takes me a good long while to loosen up my shoulders to get under the bar.

Bench
6x3@240lbs (slight pause on first rep of each set)
Bench seemed fine. Not sure I held the pause long enough for the first rep each set. Tried to position my feet differently, really do not like my bench as the wide base makes it hard for me to position. Last set felt a little weird, think I touched a little too low on the chest the first rep - could feel a substantial difference in the pressure on my shoulders.

Deadlift
6x2@390 lbs
Chalk makes a difference with grip. Who knew? Everyone else but me apparently. Grip felt fine after using a little of the white stuff...and then some chalk. Need to watch out on lowering the weight, it looks like I really round my back at the bottom of the descent, which I can kind of feel in my left lat - doesn't really hurt perse, just feels more fatigued immediately after the sets, feeling does dissipate after a few minutes however.

Good session overall. Off to walk five miles and enjoy the beautiful day - and hopefully not be charged with indecent exposure because I will have to urinate at some point along the bike path, and there is a dearth of available bathroom facilities on the trail.

***update*** walking 5 miles while suffering with seasonal allergies is stupid. Voluntary hardship my ass - throat nearly closed up half through my walk due to the swelling and excessive amounts of mucus draining down my throat; nature is dumb, albeit beautiful.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:41 pm

Belt Squat
3x4@200lbs
4x2@270lbs; 1x11@270lbs
Finding a groove is difficult. Since my actual squat 1rm is still fuzzy, it is really hard for me to find a proper weight to correspond to the percentage. Also, by changing where I hookup and the width of my feet, the movement, and difficulty therein, is considerably different. I did 3x4@220 and 4x2@270 and 1x11@270, the last set (videoed) I changed placement and feet width throughout the set - the one downside is that it is very easy to squat on my toes and put a lot of pressure on my knees, wider is better and I am thinking I should go with flats/no shoes as well.

I think it is a good movement, I just need to play with it some more to discern the best positioning and proper weight. Regardless, I really feel the burn in my quads, much more so than high bar squatting.

Bench
4x4@225lbs
4x3@225lbs
Bench felt good. A little fatigued but more so to feeling like shit due to seasonal allergies and explosive diarrhea earlier in the day/week.

7 minute density block
The aforementioned explosive diarrhea began to rear its ugly head so I did a quick set of back exercises in lieu of a full density block:
Supersetted 2x10@25lbs KB rows; 2x5@145lbs pendlay rows; several sets of banded face pulls.
To borrow an inspirational quote from the esteemable @Austin : What Are You Gonna Do, Not Shit Yourself?

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:56 pm

Rickshaw Bar Deadlift
5 sets of 4@370 lbs
I spent so much time at gyms that forbade the use of chalk that I neglected to include it in my home gym workouts because I didn't know better. It really helps. I did use straps for a couple sets but not really necessary, no pain whatsoever. Need to get vaseline next - and it is probably useful for deadlifts too.

Overhead Press
top single @9 (135 lbs)
7 minutes with 80% of top single (115 lbs)
135@9, tried 155 and it was a nope.
Managed 115x20@80% of top single. The press ain't my thing.

Feeling underweather still from the last few days, cut back on caffeine today in hopes of getting a decent sleep. I may rent a hotel room as my girlfriend almost sodomized me with a wooden spoon for causing a major mess in the freezer - note to self/everyone: don't leave cans of soda in the freezer, they will explode. I managed to escape with my man(butt)hood intact and was forced to clean up my own mess, the horror...- sphincter splinters may have been preferable.