Rogue's New Belt Squat - Monster Rhino - AKA What I wish my nickname was

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Skander

Re: Rogue's New Belt Squat - Monster Rhino - AKA What I wish my nickname was

Post by Skander » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:40 am

bobmen10000 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:31 am ***update*** It finally processed. $461.20 after a $45.00 discount and using $18.75 worth of points. ***update***
While they cannot weld their way out of a paper bag, I think their reward system is genius. I mean, I should get some rogue j cups so I don't die, but I've got $15 worth of reward points so maybe I should get Titan sandwich cups... Oh wait I hate those. But the allure of the points is strong.

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:45 am

murphyreedus wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:49 pmI'd unapologetically have a belt squat, leg press, Smith machine, cable crossover, etc. in the gym if I could fit them all.
That may or may not be approximately half the reason I want to open a gym. Except the smith machine. Still don't see much point there.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:57 am

hmmm....

those belt squat machines look awfully like a deadlift "machine" at my gym.
most bros do shrugs with it.

They should put handles, or an attachment for future handles, just inside the plates so you can do a hex-bar type dead-squat with it.'

I mean I don't like it/those myself ....
... but another bullshitty feature to get these useful machine into the marketplace.... so I can do/try belt squats.
murphyreedus wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:25 pm Can't wait to see the price point and the Titanness of this thing.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:23 am

SeanHerbison wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:45 am
murphyreedus wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:49 pmI'd unapologetically have a belt squat, leg press, Smith machine, cable crossover, etc. in the gym if I could fit them all.
That may or may not be approximately half the reason I want to open a gym. Except the smith machine. Still don't see much point there.
Stronger and smarter men than me have indicated the usefulness of a smith machine for pressing. Brian Shaw and Big Z use them, I think there are videos of Eddie Hall using one as well. Of course, what 400 lbs monsters of flesh use to push around obscene weight is likely not applicable to us (me) mere mortals.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:25 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:57 am hmmm....

those belt squat machines look awfully like a deadlift "machine" at my gym.
most bros do shrugs with it.

They should put handles, or an attachment for future handles, just inside the plates so you can do a hex-bar type dead-squat with it.'

I mean I don't like it/those myself ....
... but another bullshitty feature to get these useful machine into the marketplace.... so I can do/try belt squats.
murphyreedus wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:25 pm Can't wait to see the price point and the Titanness of this thing.

I never tried on the Wenning Model (what this is based on) but on my Edge Fitness machine you can hook up a chain and handle to do rows and similar movements. If you were creative, I imagine you could curls and tons of other exercises, probably shrugs too I guess. If you are looking for the most excercises, the pit shark is probably the best option.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:15 am

Just saw this on FB. Tried to find the clip w/o using FB, no luck so far.

Sorinex belt squat attachment. $449 with belt. Free shipping. Going on pre sale soon.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 am

Wilhelm wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:15 am Just saw this on FB. Tried to find the clip w/o using FB, no luck so far.

Sorinex belt squat attachment. $449 with belt. Free shipping. Going on pre sale soon.
That's a nice looking piece. I like how the stand operates.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:56 am

Wilhelm wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:15 am Just saw this on FB. Tried to find the clip w/o using FB, no luck so far.

that's the thing testiclaw came up with

he should sue

SeanHerbison
Zercher Pro

Post by SeanHerbison » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:22 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:56 amthat's the thing testiclaw came up with

he should sue
Only if he beat Jordan Clarke to it. Or it may have been Joe Kovacs. It was an Instagram quite a while ago, one of the shot putters had something very similar with a jammer arm. Jordan/Joe should sue.

TimGarvey

Post by TimGarvey » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:18 pm

Sorinex updated this device on their site. It is an accessory that you add to an adjustable jammer arm. I was thinking about getting one, but it suddenly went from a $450 belt squat attachment to a $1500 purchase. I searched but couldn't find a picture of testiclaw's rig.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:45 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:56 am

that's the thing testiclaw came up with

he should sue
I think, with shipping, the entire piece we built came to 200-something. Just off-the-shelf parts from Rogue.

We just had to buy a long 5/8" bolt to attach it to the rack.

I'll throw this up here just in case it helps anybody get an idea of what we did;

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:50 pm

@Testiclaw

Are you using it more for injury work-a-rounds, or more for additional leg strength volume/work?

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:56 pm

mbasic wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:50 pm @Testiclaw

Are you using it more for injury work-a-rounds, or more for additional leg strength volume/work?
Additional leg strength. We really emphasize keeping the weight forward and keeping the knees forward on the way up.

It has two major benefits for programming;

First, if a lifter is built in a way or tends to goodmorning their squats they'll never really get the leg development needed for weightlifting from squats, so the belt squat is a great way to circumvent this.

Second, if we're throwing a lot of our training stress towards heavy or extended ROM pulls and strength work the belt squat lets us hammer the legs without putting additional load on the back.

It's been a great piece of equipment for us.

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:39 pm

Has anyone tried to use a double pulley system for belt squats? It seems like you could use a low pulley, such as one set up for seated rows, and attach a belt to it. The other pulley would be high and connected to a loading pin. I'm not sure if the cross member would get in the way of your feet. . . . . I guess you could also just stand on blocks and use the loading pin with smaller plates and skip the pulley complexity.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:03 am

iamsmu wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:39 pm Has anyone tried to use a double pulley system for belt squats? It seems like you could use a low pulley, such as one set up for seated rows, and attach a belt to it. The other pulley would be high and connected to a loading pin. I'm not sure if the cross member would get in the way of your feet. . . . . I guess you could also just stand on blocks and use the loading pin with smaller plates and skip the pulley complexity.
I've used homemade lever ones, machined/manufactured lever ones, and a pulley one (the original Westside version, not their newer "ATP").

I prefer the lever versions.

The pulley ones just...feels weird.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:52 am

Looks like an easy improvement for the Titan belt squat:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthre ... 1562478191

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:33 am

It does look good and an easy fix. Sadly my order was cancelled due to my credit card information being stolen (unrelated to Titan but if you need $800.00 worth of makeup and moisturizer I have a "free" box that was charged to my account.) Thus, I will have to wait for another chance to try one out.

The review and followup in the bodybuilding.com Titan equipment thread linked above makes the machine sound like a fantastic value. V2 is likely to be even better.

gtl

Post by gtl » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:09 pm

Not a "Rogue Belt Squat" but a Rogue "Belt Squat"

https://worcester.craigslist.org/spo/d/ ... 51055.html

I actually think it looks pretty cool. Jammer arms are $500, plus he's got the other post and 2 shackles. Total cost probably was $600 to make, but I'm not sure you can really ask for that much. I'd be curious to know how well it works.

victrhugochavez

Post by victrhugochavez » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:40 am

I think the main draw to Rogue's (and westsides) is the angle of pull. When I've used a lever style belt squat, I felt like I was trying to push my hips back instead of up. You could just mount the system backwards, but then it's a little harder to rack the weight. It's still hella easy to rig a contraption up inside a rack with a loading pin and still get a straight pull. Doesn't require dedicated floor space and it's cheap

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:56 am

Testiclaw wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:03 am
iamsmu wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:39 pm Has anyone tried to use a double pulley system for belt squats? It seems like you could use a low pulley, such as one set up for seated rows, and attach a belt to it. The other pulley would be high and connected to a loading pin. I'm not sure if the cross member would get in the way of your feet. . . . . I guess you could also just stand on blocks and use the loading pin with smaller plates and skip the pulley complexity.
I've used homemade lever ones, machined/manufactured lever ones, and a pulley one (the original Westside version, not their newer "ATP").

I prefer the lever versions.

The pulley ones just...feels weird.
Could you elaborate on this? I'm thinking of the pulley/cable version as well, cuz then I'd could get a low row (and probably pull down) set up as well.