Things that annoy me...

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mbasic

Re: Things that annoy me...

Post by mbasic » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:53 am

alek wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:33 am mbasic, what kind of tree was it?

Dalbergia sissoo. aka Indian Rosewood. aka pain in the ass.

https://arizonareport.com/sissoo-tree-arizona-desert/

"It will drink plenty of water, but it doesn’t depend on homeowners to irrigate it. The serpentine root system can run for 40 feet or more from the base of the tree and wrist-sized roots can break through just at the surface over the distance. Finding water is its specialty. It made its home along river banks in India. It is popular with residential developers and builders here in the Grand Canyon state because it grows quickly, reliably and provides thick shade from the sun in a few short years. Sissoo has also been planted in city parks in both Phoenix and Glendale. Dalbergia sissoo can grow rapidly up to 60 feet in height and up to 25 feet in width in the desert climate. An eight-year-old tree can be 18 feet tall."

I do some site work/civil work for one of the bigger home builders here.
We have a pretty good relationship, and many times they rush over the contracts to me without proofreading them too well.
One time I got the Landscape Subcontractors Special Conditions paragraph in my civil contract by mistake.
There was specific language in there: "NEVER" to plant a D.Sissoo "on any our developments even if its shown on the Landscape Plans".
"you are to notify us immediately if you encounter this discrepancy"...or something along those lines.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:55 am

*bump*

My oldest kid is going through driver’s education, the classroom portion.

There’s instructions on how to set up the side view mirrors. It tells the kids to lean to their limits to set up their mirrors. Like when setting up the left/driver’s side mirror, they’re supposed to have their head against the window.

What the ever-living fuck is this bullshit?

No wonder these drivers up here are fucking imbeciles. They can’t see shit out of their car. Whoever wrote this book needs to be beaten.

When setting up mirrors, the idea is that your torso is stationary (you know, so you can control the wheel) and YOUR HEAD IS ON A FUCKING SWIVEL YOU GODDAMNED MOTHERFUCKING MORONS. Even more so, your eyes can move as well. JFC, this shit annoys me to no end. I told my kid to fucking ignore this instruction in practice because it’s completely stupid and haphazard.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:04 am

mgil wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:55 am *bump*

My oldest kid is going through driver’s education, the classroom portion.

There’s instructions on how to set up the side view mirrors. It tells the kids to lean to their limits to set up their mirrors. Like when setting up the left/driver’s side mirror, they’re supposed to have their head against the window.

What the ever-living fuck is this bullshit?

No wonder these drivers up here are fucking imbeciles. They can’t see shit out of their car. Whoever wrote this book needs to be beaten.

When setting up mirrors, the idea is that your torso is stationary (you know, so you can control the wheel) and YOUR HEAD IS ON A FUCKING SWIVEL YOU GODDAMNED MOTHERFUCKING MORONS. Even more so, your eyes can move as well. JFC, this shit annoys me to no end. I told my kid to fucking ignore this instruction in practice because it’s completely stupid and haphazard.
The only thing I can think of, is you would set up your mirrors to, like you say, sitting there upright and normal. . . .

AND THEN AFTER THAT, maybe, teach the driver if they lean their head around the blind spots/views will overlap eachother from side mirror to rearview mirror or something.

I don't know, newer cars with the slightly-bubbled-mirrors seem to have almost no blind spots anymore. But the kids should learn how that shit works.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:20 am

What’s even more dumb is that the blind spot issue is easily handled by a slight lean FORWARD, and then a rotation of the head. Still nothing as absurd as leaning your head against the goddamn window. What if the window isn’t up? Oops, out of the car you go.

Image…

RobWaskis

Post by RobWaskis » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:14 am

This is, in fact, the correct way to set up your mirrors to eliminate blind spots. If you do it this way, it creates a very slight overlap between the rear view and side view mirrors, with no need for the forward lean you describe to see in said blind spot.

You should try it. No one is suggesting that you put your head against the window while driving, just when setting up the mirror. You have misinterpreted the instructions.

JonA

Post by JonA » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:45 am

mgil wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:20 am What’s even more dumb is that the blind spot issue is easily handled by a slight lean FORWARD, and then a rotation of the head. Still nothing as absurd as leaning your head against the goddamn window. What if the window isn’t up? Oops, out of the car you go.
I always set my mirrors this way. You don't lean your head against the window when you use the mirror, just when you set it up.

The point is that the side view mirrors are supposed to give you a view into the the lanes on either rear side. They are *not* to give you a view of your own car. But when properly setup like that, you don't have a reference point to tell if your mirrors are set correctly. Hence the guidance of placing your head against the window, align the mirror so you can see the rear side of your car. When you sit back properly again, the mirror should be aligned properly.

But I still drive around with my tow mirrors extended. :lol:

JonA

Post by JonA » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:48 am

mgil wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:55 am My oldest kid is going through driver’s education, the classroom portion.
And if you think you are annoyed now, just wait until you have to re-adjust every mirror and seat in your car every time after the kids been driving.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:10 am

Hey look, it's mgil!

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:13 am

Root wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:10 am Hey look, it's mgil!

Correct!

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:15 am

JonA wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:48 am
mgil wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:55 am My oldest kid is going through driver’s education, the classroom portion.
And if you think you are annoyed now, just wait until you have to re-adjust every mirror and seat in your car every time after the kids been driving.
All the cars have seat/mirror memory. Only the rear view needs to be adjusted.

I'll try this method out. Problem is that I've been driving for 30 years with the view of the side view mirrors just off the back end. This might be too much technology for me to handle.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:21 am

mgil wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:15 am All the cars have seat/mirror memory. Only the rear view needs to be adjusted.
The last 3 or 4 (personal) vehicles I have bought do not have this feature.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:19 pm

update

Tried this new mirror method. It is better at the blindspot elimination, but there’s a bit more angular velocity at the edges or something that makes it a little more distracting.

Not giving up yet and will continue to try it out.

Hamburgerfan
Possibly Vegan

Post by Hamburgerfan » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:26 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:19 pm update

Tried this new mirror method. It is better at the blindspot elimination, but there’s a bit more angular velocity at the edges or something that makes it a little more distracting.

It works every time it’s applied correctly

Culican

Post by Culican » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:28 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:19 pm update

I've used it for ~15years. I was taught it by my employer during safety classes for driving work vehicles. I think it works very well.

SquatsALot

Post by SquatsALot » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:01 pm

Growing up I was taught to bsaically point them at the side of the car, which always made the side mirrors useless. Driver's Ed taught us to physically turn our body to look over our shoulder to check the blind spot before switching lanes. To be fair, there is not a single 4 lane road in my hometown, so we practiced this exactly zero times in a moving car.

Nobody actually taught me the right way until I took a car control course on a race track. Which is as simple as 'hey dumbass, adjust your mirrors so they overlap and you don't have blind spots'.

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:27 am

I read a Cracked article like 10 years ago that said to adjust the mirrors so you just barely stop seeing the side of your car to eliminate that blind spot, but I'm not sure how accurate that is without the head against the window thing.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:56 am

I impulse bought a car from a dope fiend (2000 Mazda Miata) and now I have no money, like, at all (undiagnosed ADHD moment) but like, why don't people take care of their stuff?

It annoys me to no end that people will have (formerly) expensive shit like a tiny sports car and just trash it on the inside. Of course, part of that could have been the first owner but like I imagine that in the year the kid had it he put all these scratches and gouges all over the friggin interior. There's also a massive hole in the carpet for some reason. W T F

Take care of your SHIT

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:54 am

LoudMuffin wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:56 am I impulse bought a car from a dope fiend (2000 Mazda Miata) and now I have no money, like, at all (undiagnosed ADHD moment) but like, why don't people take care of their stuff?

It annoys me to no end that people will have (formerly) expensive shit like a tiny sports car and just trash it on the inside. Of course, part of that could have been the first owner but like I imagine that in the year the kid had it he put all these scratches and gouges all over the friggin interior. There's also a massive hole in the carpet for some reason. W T F

Take care of your SHIT
Or use their car for storage or as a trash can.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:08 am

MPhelps wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:26 amThe idea that dogs are people's children has become an acceptable thing these days. Except that actual real children need to be taught things beyond sit, come here, don't eat that dog's shit, etc.
One of the reasons I left Lamebook was people posting pictures of themselves with their dogs and referring to themselves as "mummy" or "daddy." Did you birth a litter when no-one was watching?
LoudMuffin wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:56 am I impulse bought a car from a dope fiend (2000 Mazda Miata) and now I have no money, like, at all (undiagnosed ADHD moment) but like, why don't people take care of their stuff?
It's a sign of no driving skill.

Because I am a fucking nerd, I wrote this roleplaying game, and in it equipment can be in one of four conditions: unusable, poor, acceptable, new. It notes that "Unless recently-bought, any equipment owned by a person without the relevant skill will automatically be in poor condition."

You do not usually get a good cook who has blunt knives, a good shot who has a rusty rifle, or a good driver who has a car with bald tyres and a cabin full of shit.

Now, if I go look at the lockers and gear of my lifters... fuck.

JonA

Post by JonA » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:18 am

Take care of your SHIT
How much would that 2000 Mazda Miata have cost if the inside had been immaculately taken care of?

Sometimes it's nice that other people don't take care of things. (Well, superficially at least. Hopefully they changed the oil every couple of years and didn't put too much washer fluid in the coolant tank.)