Designing a shed gym

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

alek

Designing a shed gym

Post by alek » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:56 pm

I’m thinking about designing a shed to house a home gym in my backyard. Real preliminary so far, but I was thinking something like 16 feet by 12 feet. Here’s a picture of the layout I was thinking.

I thought of putting the rack on the midline in one direction by not in the exact center to give some more space for who knows what. I also thought not putting it near a wall would be good for allowing another person—wife, kids, or friends—to be able to use it at the same time.

One side would have dumbbells and such with an adjustable bench for bro’ing out.

Thinking a 9’ ceiling.

Questions, comments, insults?

murphyreedus

Re: Designing a shed gym

Post by murphyreedus » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:55 pm

Need room for a rower/bike//cardio thing?

Are the dumbbells going to be on the floor or in a rack?

I like the idea of using both sides of a power rack. Where are the plates going to be stored?

Will the door(s) be swing out or overhead roller?

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:22 pm

What are you doing for heat/cooling? 9 ft is a little low for an overhead, but a propane unit with could fit in the front right corner, and you'd have a toasty squat rack.

alek

Post by alek » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:23 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:55 pm Need room for a rower/bike//cardio thing?

Are the dumbbells going to be on the floor or in a rack?

I like the idea of using both sides of a power rack. Where are the plates going to be stored?

Will the door(s) be swing out or overhead roller?
I was kinda thinking that’s why I’d have that open space to the left in the picture. There would likely be enough room for something.

Any dumbbells would go on a rack. About 1 by 6 feet of floor space seems about right.

Hadn’t thought about plate storage. Maybe a weight tree to the right of the rack in the picture. I was thinking a gun rack for bars on the right wall.

Thinking overhead roller type of door.
5hout wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:22 pm What are you doing for heat/cooling? 9 ft is a little low for an overhead, but a propane unit with could fit in the front right corner, and you'd have a toasty squat rack.
Heating wouldn’t be necessary much. My climate is subtropical—locals freak out over temps in the 30’s. For cooling, I was thinking just a big fan for ventilation and early morning workouts.

Would 10’ ceilings be more better?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:12 am

Are you going to build the entire thing ground up from scratch?

OR are you looking at buying a type of TuffShed thing and plopping that onto a concrete foundation/slab?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:24 am

Overhead door can be pricy. Double doors would be good if you sell the property and someone wants to put a mower in there.

Make sure you have power, something like 3/4 15A circuits. I’d also wire it for a mini-split. And then put in a mini-split. It’s a complete HVAC solution for that space.

Have you checked out the permitting process in your area? My shed is 8x10 because that’s the maximum I can build without pulling a permit. In your case, you’ll probably want to pull one anyhow if you’re going to run electrical power out to it.

For my current shed, I insisted on a window on each wall. Makes a huge difference for light.

You note a maximum ceiling height. Are you talking about the height to the top stringer? Most people leave the rafters open, so if the roof has any pitch, you should have plenty of vertical space in the center.

alek

Post by alek » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:59 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:12 am Are you going to build the entire thing ground up from scratch?

OR are you looking at buying a type of TuffShed thing and plopping that onto a concrete foundation/slab?
I was thinking of building it myself from scratch. I already have an 8x10 (I think) pre-fab shed that holds lawnmower or other various outdoor stuff. I think I’d rather be able to custom build something.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:00 am

10 foot ceilings will require slightly more fan action, but will feel cooler (better temperature gradient, especially if open rafters above). However, it's not my money/time/permitting/HOA approval. You might find that local rules/regulations make the extra foot substantially more expensive or annoying.

alek

Post by alek » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:06 am

mgil wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:24 am Overhead door can be pricy. Double doors would be good if you sell the property and someone wants to put a mower in there.

Make sure you have power, something like 3/4 15A circuits. I’d also wire it for a mini-split. And then put in a mini-split. It’s a complete HVAC solution for that space.

Have you checked out the permitting process in your area? My shed is 8x10 because that’s the maximum I can build without pulling a permit. In your case, you’ll probably want to pull one anyhow if you’re going to run electrical power out to it.

For my current shed, I insisted on a window on each wall. Makes a huge difference for light.

You note a maximum ceiling height. Are you talking about the height to the top stringer? Most people leave the rafters open, so if the roof has any pitch, you should have plenty of vertical space in the center.
Not set in stone on any kind of door, but a double door that swings out would not be in the way of anything inside.

Yep, I’d run power to it for lights and stuff. At the moment, I’d rather not think about hvac, which would probably require sealing and insulating it, but it’s not completely off the table. I’d also like the power to be run power tools—if we do sell, it could be used as a work/woodshop.

Haven’t checked permitting yet, but it’s Georgia. There’s no telling.

Yeah, there’d be windows, too. I was also thinking about doing a lean-to style roof where the rafters and such would be wrapped with plexiglass rather than osb/plywood.

Yeah, the rafters would be left open. With the roof style I’m thinking, there’s be lots of vertical space in the “front” and less in the “rear”.

alek

Post by alek » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:09 am

5hout wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:00 am 10 foot ceilings will require slightly more fan action, but will feel cooler (better temperature gradient, especially if open rafters above). However, it's not my money/time/permitting/HOA approval. You might find that local rules/regulations make the extra foot substantially more expensive or annoying.
No HOA, but not sure about permitting. I’ll have to look into it.

For a fan, I was thinking a stand up style rather than installing ceiling fans.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:37 am

If you’re installing power, then maybe put in a power roof/attic fan. That would vent off the heat quickly and you could use a pedestal fan for added comfort.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:02 am

Second attic/roof fan, or at least a commercial box fan or something bigger than a pedestal. Really moving the air will help keep the space fresh on humid days. Of course, this could just be my Michigan speaking. If you're used to the heat/humidity and a tiny fan than avoiding this will cut costs.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:45 am

These dumbbell seem good for saving space and not buying the weight over and over again. I'm thinking of having the same when I build my next home gym.

https://www.roguefitness.com/nuobell

I was just watching this last night. He makes such projects look easy. With my skills, it would be hard.

Rack against the wall will save you space. Some cardio equipment would be nice. I get a lot of steps on an incline treadmill.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:08 pm

I am not telling you to break the law (I am telling you that) but you are infinitely better off not dealing with code enforcement for HVAC, electrical or plumbing for a small garage gym/storage shed - it isn't likely to code anywhere at this point but running a dedicated electrical line from your home to a shed/pole barn/garage is usually not a major deal in my limited experience for a lot of tradesman and handyman.

Can't speak to Georgia, but in Ohio there tends to be a lot of union tradesman willing to do jobs on off days & after hours to the standards of code without involving county inspectors. It could save you many thousands of dollars and hours of headache...depending on the level of asshole present in your local inspection process. Even if you are structure exceeds the county square footage and requires a permit for the actual structural building, still would get final approval and do the electrical later on the side, probably the same for HVAC and even plumbing if that is even feasible or required for your use.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:26 pm

Yeah, running electrical is pretty easy. I’d probably run something like a single 40/50A 240V (6/3 UF-B pulled through schedule 40 pvc buried 18” below surface) line into a small sub-panel in the shed fed off a 2 pole 50A breaker in the main panel. The national electric code is open book, and generally easy to follow. The hardest part is probably getting the power out of the main house.

Thinking about this some more, I’d be tempted to see what can be done with solar in your situation.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:45 pm

bobmen10000 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:08 pm... there tends to be a lot of union tradesman willing to do jobs on off days & after hours to the standards of code without involving county inspectors. It could save you many thousands of dollars and hours of headache...depending on the level of asshole present in your local inspection process.
Seconded.

The extent of my own personal, DIY experience with electrical shit starts and ends with swapping out sockets and replacing a breaker once.

I don't have a shed per se, but I know a guy, and ... let's just say he's been a lotta help. Last time I dealt with the permit office was a fucking nightmare.

alek

Post by alek » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:51 am

Thanks, all. You've given some more to think about.