Rogue's Folding, Wall Mount 4 Post | Thoughts?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

OrderInChaos

Rogue's Folding, Wall Mount 4 Post | Thoughts?

Post by OrderInChaos » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:31 pm

What do folks think about Rogue's RML390FULLW / folding 4 post Monster Lite deal?
https://www.roguefitness.com/monster-li ... power-rack

$1225 for a 4 post with a pullup bar and strap safeties is roughly $200 more than the equivalent RML390 BT/Flat with strap safeties (more with color/etc.), preship and pretax.

Seems pretty sick to be able to both park and bench/squat in a 4 post w/straps, especially if you can also afford/manage fully wall-mounted plate, bench, rower/etc.etc. storage.

Rogue seems less appealing for a standard 4 post on its own these days (US and spendy? Legend - cheapest possible? Titan, PR4000, Vulcan...), but still seems to be the king of US-made wall mount folding stuff (and buy the bar holder, weight horns etc. from Titan if you're a real frugal dude), decent shipping costs to boot.

Anyone have one, or see pitfalls?

I did some keyword searching on the model name as well as "Fold OR folding AND Rogue AND four/4 post" and didn't come across any posts, but if I'm missing an obvious thread that deep dived this, sorry y'all!

BigE

Re: Rogue's Folding, Wall Mount 4 Post | Thoughts?

Post by BigE » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:38 am

I used the wall mount kit portion, stringers and 12” beams to mount my Titan rack to the wall. This required drilling into the stringers to get the width to match up. My rack doesn’t fold. I really prefer the wall mount, over floor mounting. I had bolted my rack three times in the past to concrete floors. The wall mount takes away almost all the wobble away vs the floor mount, and the 12” post are useful for hanging stuff from too.

What I want to change about it at this point is the depth of the rack from 24” to 12” and get the spotter arms, so it is like a half rack without feet sticking out. I have a bunch of weight I mount on the rack, which I’ll move to the rear. By my garage engineering calculations, this should be safe enough. I don’t squat in the rack, so I won’t be dropping a bunch of weight on it.
Last edited by BigE on Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:25 am

BigE wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:38 am I used the wall mount kit portion, stringers and 12” beams to mount my Titan rack to the wall. This required drilling into the stringers to get the width to match up. My rack doesn’t fold. I really prefer the wall mount, over floor mounting. I had bolted my rack three times in the past to concrete floors. The wall mount takes away almost all the wobble away vs the floor mount, and the 12” post are useful for hanging stuff from too.

What I want to change about it at this point is the depth of the rack from 24” to 12” and get the spotter arms, so it is like a half rack without feet sticking out. I have a bunch of weight I mount on the rack, which I’ll move to the rear. By my garage engineering calculations, this should be safe enough. I don’t squat in the rack, so I won’t be dropping a bunch of weight on it.
I seriously considered doing this when we moved, these should do the trick:
https://www.titan.fitness/racks/rack-ac ... SSRSB.html

Though to help work against possibly overloading the wall with weight on the spotter arms you could bolt rear uprights to floor as well as the stringers.

I ended up keeping the full rack and mounting just close enough to the wall where I could bench from the back (so I could keep power bar inside rack and WL bar outside; don't want to bench with the bearing bar, and space is too tight to want to move bars into and out of rack).

BigE

Post by BigE » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:43 am

Yeah. Those are what I plan on getting. I shelled out the money for their lat tower, so much gym budget is blown for now.

The reason I went with the wall mount, is that I put down new regupol flooring and didn’t want to mess it up. Over the years I’ve drilled through vinyl and carpet, and don’t want to deal with more holes in the future.

The space consideration that I was worried about with the wall mount was seated OHP. There is just enough room as it. If I go with the spotter arms and 12”, I think I should have just enough room still.

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:55 pm

Hmmm.... has Titan improved in the folding market? I seem to remember Smu not being thrilled with the joint/folding section in comparison to a Rogue. Any thoughts on the frivolity of the 4-post? Seems damn pricey for not necessarily that much more stability... dropping a heavy squat on straps in the 4-post isn't a framing concern?