Specific Deadlift Concern

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

broseph
High Fiber

Specific Deadlift Concern

Post by broseph » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:13 am

Today's top set:

The issue in question is that I don't keep leg contact with the bar. I have skinny bony legs and every time I try to keep contact the bar jams into my pattelae on the way up. This kills any speed I have going up and can even rebound the bar forward (probably due to my reaction, not the actual bouncing of several hundred pounds off my knees). Also, I assume my double knee bend is connected to this issue?

I don't mind not making leg contact, I just don't want to short change myself if I could be doing this more efficiently. If it matters, my specific goal here is to deadlift more, not "improve general strength."

I might have an example video of what happens with leg contact... But it will probably require some finding and editing.

slowmotion

Re: Specific Deadlift Concern

Post by slowmotion » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:17 am

I just use knee sleeves on the deads, solves the problem.

CoconutChris

Post by CoconutChris » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:11 pm

I always took the phrase 'drag the bar up your shins' to be a cue, not an actual recommendation to make leg contact.

I think the double knee bend is further down the chain, but it's hard to tell exactly from this angle. As you begin the rep, the bar rolls backwards and your hips come up. This is expected. From there, your shins straighten out early, the bar continues to roll backwards, and your COM shifts further to the heels. From mid-shin to knee, the bar is over midfoot, but your shins are beyond vertical, which creates this gap. By the time the bar gets above your knees (and the bar continues to travel backward) you have no choice but to bring your hips forward to maintain balance.

If you slow down your dynamic start a little, you can control the backwards rolling of the bar. Then, you can continue to push off the ground without having the bar hit your knees.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:22 pm

CoconutChris wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:11 pm If you slow down your dynamic start a little, you can control the backwards rolling of the bar. Then, you can continue to push off the ground without having the bar hit your knees.
Slow down meaning less backward bar roll on the ground, or less dynamic start altogether (set my hips where the pull will actually start)?

I really like the dynamic start, but maybe I should at least try to keep my shin angle a little more constant, with less forward knee travel in the windup?
slowmotion wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:17 am I just use knee sleeves on the deads, solves the problem.
I've tried that. It softens the bony protrusions a little, but there's still a speed bump. Actually 2 speed bumps now- my patella and the bottom lip of the sleeve.

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:52 pm

I think your bar path is pretty good, I don't think you need to actually touch your shins. Agree with CC, I took it as a mental cue, not a specific instruction.

CoconutChris

Post by CoconutChris » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:26 pm

broseph wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:22 pm
CoconutChris wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:11 pm If you slow down your dynamic start a little, you can control the backwards rolling of the bar. Then, you can continue to push off the ground without having the bar hit your knees.
Slow down meaning less backward bar roll on the ground, or less dynamic start altogether (set my hips where the pull will actually start)?

I really like the dynamic start, but maybe I should at least try to keep my shin angle a little more constant, with less forward knee travel in the windup
Less backward bar roll. Or more precisely- the bar roll should happen when the bar is still on the ground. I have nothing against the dynamic start position if it helps you get a flatter back angle. Koklyaev has an excellent pull with a dynamic low hip position, if I recall correctly, and he keeps a pretty good low back position.

I realize now from your log that this is a PR- didn't look like one. With that said, I think this is a minor issue, since you aren't actually losing the bar forward at any point.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:48 pm

simonrest wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:52 pm I think your bar path is pretty good, I don't think you need to actually touch your shins. Agree with CC, I took it as a mental cue, not a specific instruction.
Glad a few people are saying this. I always thought you were literally supposed to drag the bar up your shins.
CoconutChris wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:26 pm Less backward bar roll. Or more precisely- the bar roll should happen when the bar is still on the ground. I have nothing against the dynamic start position if it helps you get a flatter back angle. Koklyaev has an excellent pull with a dynamic low hip position, if I recall correctly, and he keeps a pretty good low back position.

I realize now from your log that this is a PR- didn't look like one. With that said, I think this is a minor issue, since you aren't actually losing the bar forward at any point.
Very helpful, thanks. Yeah, I never jerk the bar and lose back tightness with the dynamic start. Hips seem pretty set by the time the weights actually start moving. Like I said- I just always thought everyone was supposed to keep bar-leg contact throughout the movement- figured I was missing something by never doing it.

It's one of those "technically a rep-PR" things. I've done 5 pounds less for 5 and 25 pounds more for 4, but I haven't been in that territory for several months. So it's not like a "Yay! New 5 rep max!" set.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:13 pm

I don't really maintain contact with my legs all the way up. I start with my shins against the bar and I try to keep it as close as I can, but it's not actually scraping my shins. I've never felt the need to wear long socks or any kind of shin guard like some people do. This might be due to differences in anthropometry?

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:20 pm

TimK wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:13 pm I don't really maintain contact with my legs all the way up. I start with my shins against the bar and I try to keep it as close as I can, but it's not actually scraping my shins. I've never felt the need to wear long socks or any kind of shin guard like some people do. This might be due to differences in anthropometry?
I mostly wear long socks to obscure the view of my cachectic lower legs. Also, I think long socks are regulation- at least in USAPL.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:21 pm

broseph wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:20 pm
TimK wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:13 pm I don't really maintain contact with my legs all the way up. I start with my shins against the bar and I try to keep it as close as I can, but it's not actually scraping my shins. I've never felt the need to wear long socks or any kind of shin guard like some people do. This might be due to differences in anthropometry?
I mostly wear long socks to obscure the view of my cachectic lower legs. Also, I think long socks are regulation- at least in USAPL.
Yeah, they were required at the Fall Classic too, I had to buy a pair since I'd never even considered wearing them for training.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Also I have a top secret calf hypertrophy program available for a low price.

Spoiler: it involves being overweight for a couple of decades

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:50 am

TimK wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:23 pm Also I have a top secret calf hypertrophy program available for a low price.

Spoiler: it involves being overweight for a couple of decades
How fat do I have to be for how long? Can I wear a weighted vest instead? Does your program involve colorful dumbbells? Do you take IOU's? Will big calves help my squat or bench?

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:02 am

AaronM wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:50 amCan I wear a weighted vest instead? Does your program involve colorful dumbbells?
I'm not going to waste my time with some snowflake who refuses to DTFP.

AaronM
Pheasant

Post by AaronM » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:31 am

TimK wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:02 am
AaronM wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:50 amCan I wear a weighted vest instead? Does your program involve colorful dumbbells?
But my chiropractor said calf raises are bad for my knees.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:45 am

Lol’d

SJB

Post by SJB » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:45 pm

I see no no suicide advice, or request to kill himself.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:55 pm

SJB wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:45 pm
I see no no suicide advice, or request to kill himself.
You're obviously not a careful observer.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:43 am

Am I the only one here who does actively try to drag the bar up their legs?!?

One of the ways* I'll lose a limit deadlift is if I let it get away from my legs, especially an inch or two off of the floor.

* just about the only way, unless I round my back, but for the sake of this conversation, let's keep it to flat-back pulling**
** the other way is that I'm just not strong enough to get it past the weak point just off the floor
Last edited by chromoly on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

cwd

Post by cwd » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:47 am

@chromoly, I deadlift according to the SS model, with the bar touching my legs.

Actually, I screw up the descent, and bend my hips too little, so as to bang the bar on my knees on the way down. Gotta work on that.
Last edited by cwd on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:53 am

cwd wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:47 am Actually, I screw up the descent, and bend my hips to little, so as to bang the bar on my knees on the way down. Gotta work on that.
Just gotta sit them hips back as you're lowering the bar. When it gets to my knees, I functionally drop the bar while still holding on with my hands.