Things that annoy me...

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

TimK
Much Mustache

Re: Things that annoy me...

Post by TimK » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:45 am

KyleSchuant wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:08 am Because I am a fucking nerd, I wrote this roleplaying game, and in it equipment can be in one of four conditions: unusable, poor, acceptable, new. It notes that "Unless recently-bought, any equipment owned by a person without the relevant skill will automatically be in poor condition."

You do not usually get a good cook who has blunt knives, a good shot who has a rusty rifle, or a good driver who has a car with bald tyres and a cabin full of shit.

Now, if I go look at the lockers and gear of my lifters... fuck.
Meh, compare Coop's home gym with Dennis Cornelius's garage.

I can also say as a photographer that amateurs with little skill or talent (who sometimes seem to enjoy owning expensive gear as much or more than actually taking photos) are more likely to be precious about keeping their cameras and lenses pristine vs professionals who tend to beat the shit out their equipment because they don't have time to baby it while they're working a job.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:18 pm

LoudMuffin wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:56 am I impulse bought a car from a dope fiend (2000 Mazda Miata) and now I have no money, like, at all (undiagnosed ADHD moment) but like, why don't people take care of their stuff?

It annoys me to no end that people will have (formerly) expensive shit like a tiny sports car and just trash it on the inside. Of course, part of that could have been the first owner but like I imagine that in the year the kid had it he put all these scratches and gouges all over the friggin interior. There's also a massive hole in the carpet for some reason. W T F

Take care of your SHIT
LOL....a zillion years ago a guy I worked with learned that his wife had literally never in something like 72000 miles changed the oil in her car (1990-something Buick). I think he said something to her in casual conversation about making an appointment to get his done and she was like "you what?" and that's when he discovered she had never learned that was something you had to do.

hector

Post by hector » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:32 pm

brkriete wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:18 pm
LoudMuffin wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:56 am I impulse bought a car from a dope fiend (2000 Mazda Miata) and now I have no money, like, at all (undiagnosed ADHD moment) but like, why don't people take care of their stuff?

It annoys me to no end that people will have (formerly) expensive shit like a tiny sports car and just trash it on the inside. Of course, part of that could have been the first owner but like I imagine that in the year the kid had it he put all these scratches and gouges all over the friggin interior. There's also a massive hole in the carpet for some reason. W T F

Take care of your SHIT
LOL....a zillion years ago a guy I worked with learned that his wife had literally never in something like 72000 miles changed the oil in her car (1990-something Buick). I think he said something to her in casual conversation about making an appointment to get his done and she was like "you what?" and that's when he discovered she had never learned that was something you had to do.
I talked to a Mercedes salesman who told me stories like this. Some people (rich kids I guess?) would get a Mercedes as their first car. They they would burn out the engine, not knowing oil changes were a thing, not paying attention to the lights on the dashboard.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:58 pm

Allentown wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:54 am

Take care of your SHIT
Or use their car for storage or as a trash can.
I used to work with a guy that threw his trash on th floor of his car. He got stuff at the drive through a lot and would just fill the car, back seat first then the passenger side. When it started spilling over into the driver's area he would get the car detailed. It was his actual planned out method of living. He never washed the car or threw anything out, just got it detailed every month or so.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:34 am

Hardartery wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:58 pm
Allentown wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:54 am

Take care of your SHIT
Or use their car for storage or as a trash can.
I used to work with a guy that threw his trash on th floor of his car. He got stuff at the drive through a lot and would just fill the car, back seat first then the passenger side. When it started spilling over into the driver's area he would get the car detailed. It was his actual planned out method of living. He never washed the car or threw anything out, just got it detailed every month or so.
I used to work with a guy back in the late 90s who threw his drive-through change under the seat of his car and said whichever of his kids cleaned it could keep the change. Record was something like $86 dollars.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:55 am

hector wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:32 pm I talked to a Mercedes salesman who told me stories like this. Some people (rich kids I guess?) would get a Mercedes as their first car. They they would burn out the engine, not knowing oil changes were a thing, not paying attention to the lights on the dashboard.
The oil temp gauge is actually a coolness meter for determining how 'hot' your car is...
brkriete wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:34 am I used to work with a guy back in the late 90s who threw his drive-through change under the seat of his car and said whichever of his kids cleaned it could keep the change. Record was something like $86 dollars.
This man was living in the future...