Landing the Whale: Beer thread

Recipes and such

Moderator: d0uevenlift

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Landing the Whale: Beer thread

Post by Allentown » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:53 am

Hamburgerfan wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:21 pm How does Bell's expedition stout age? I bought a 6-pack 3 or 4 years ago and drank 1 bottle. Didn't particularly care for it compared to other imperial stouts. Maybe it'll be better now?
I've never tried aging it, but (IMO) it's a pretty darn good stout (though, I still think the Kalamazoo Stout is better, possibly one of the best stouts I've had). Probably depends on how you stored it? Cool basement with very little UV light? Ideal conditions, might be better, might be worse, still totally worth a try. Fridge? Probably tastes pretty similar to how it was when you bought it. I say try it either way. Even better, try and find a bottle of 2018 Expedition Stout, and split both bottles with a friend, then let us know how it goes!

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:26 am

Allentown wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:46 am So I realized yesterday I had finished off all my "Summer Beer" candidates, and didn't particularly like any of them. Outside NE styles and an occasional big, catty, pine-and-weed hop aroma bomb, I just don't care about IPAs any more?
On the plus side, all I need to do to hit 1,000 unique beers this year is average 1 new beer a week.
I had a four pack of Toppling Goliath Golden Nugget this week and thought it was pretty good.

I also had a four pack of Lord Hobo Virtuoso and I think it's my favorite of their so far.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:01 pm

@Allentown, have you tried anything from Ore Dock? I went to the brewery this weekend and got to try a few beers that I've never seen in stores. Might be worth exploring. Lots of belgian-style brews.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:21 pm

Root wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:01 pm Allentown, have you tried anything from Ore Dock? I went to the brewery this weekend and got to try a few beers that I've never seen in stores. Might be worth exploring. Lots of belgian-style brews.
Yup, they brought free kegs to the Ice Fest after-party last year. The Kolsch was very good, as was the porter- lots of vanilla in the porter. The IPA was, confusingly, the most popular, but it was also the highest ABV of the three they brought, and climbers love getting drunk.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:57 am

Someone in a Facebook group I am part of recently posted wondering why they were getting hangovers from drinking 6 - 7 Treehouse beers a night (note: they are best known for high-ABV IPAs and DIPAs, in 16 oz cans). So that's basically like drinking an 18 rack of Bud Light...no wonder you feel like shit!

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:01 am

brkriete wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:57 am Someone in a Facebook group I am part of recently posted wondering why they were getting hangovers from drinking 6 - 7 Treehouse beers a night (note: they are best known for high-ABV IPAs and DIPAs, in 16 oz cans). So that's basically like drinking an 18 rack of Bud Light...no wonder you feel like shit!
Meanwhile I want to know why I am getting hangovers from half a wheat beer. I don't drink a bunch any more, but I can usually get away with 2-3 beers toward the end of a day without a hangover, but give me a half pint of a wheat and nothing else and I'll have a headache within 2 hours.

Also- man, that's gotta be something like $25+ a night!

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:16 am

Average $4+ a beer so yeah around there.

Some drinks make me feel like shit and some don't...Svedka vodka gives me an awful nauseating headache and always has, even consumed in moderation with plenty of water. Beers with lots of spices added (like winter ales or porters) make me feel crappy too. Don't know if it's a specific spice or just that there's some additional load on the liver/other systems.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:19 am

brkriete wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:16 am porters
Weird- stouts don't bother you? Porters and stouts are, functionally, pretty indistinguishable in terms of base ingredients. Certainly there could be porters with ingredients like cloves/anise that bother you, but I've never heard of those being common porter ingredients.

Now that I look back, it was kind of funny that the darkest beer I remember seeing at the beer fest last weekend was a brown or two, lining up with my view that dark beers in general are best suited to colder months.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:25 pm

"including but not limited to porters."

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:04 pm

Allentown wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:01 am
brkriete wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:57 am Someone in a Facebook group I am part of recently posted wondering why they were getting hangovers from drinking 6 - 7 Treehouse beers a night (note: they are best known for high-ABV IPAs and DIPAs, in 16 oz cans). So that's basically like drinking an 18 rack of Bud Light...no wonder you feel like shit!
Meanwhile I want to know why I am getting hangovers from half a wheat beer. I don't drink a bunch any more, but I can usually get away with 2-3 beers toward the end of a day without a hangover, but give me a half pint of a wheat and nothing else and I'll have a headache within 2 hours.

Also- man, that's gotta be something like $25+ a night!
It’s hell getting old. I predict that I won’t drink at all within five years.

Jumrobe

Post by Jumrobe » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:16 am

6-7 a night of something thats 6% or better? Yeah that'll have you shittered the next day. Not to mention is about 2300 kcals so I imagine consuming that many per day would be about like doing GOMAD in terms of weight gain.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:09 am

Hit my 1,000th unique beer checked in. (since 2012)

Allentown
Likes Beer

Founders Barrel Aged series

Post by Allentown » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:55 am

Tried the Founders Barrel Runner (rum barrel aged DIPA) yesterday. Terrible. I almost couldn't get through a 4oz pour. It tasted like rum flavoring. Almost as bad as Founders Lizard of Koz, which tasted like blueberry-flavored cold medicine.
If I had a bigger glass, it probably would join the list of drain-pour beers.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:07 am

We have a local place that does a lot of experimental brews....they made a PB&J flavored version of their Framinghammer (actually it looks like it's regularly available). I got a 2 or 4 oz pour of it, thought it didn't taste that different than the regular version, until at one point about 2/3rds of the way through it must have hit the perfect temperature and I took a sip and it tasted *exactly* like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I wouldn't want 12 or 16 oz of blueberry cold medicine but I think I'd like a couple sips...

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:18 am

There is a place about an hour away that does a peanut butter stout, and a raspberry beer, and combined does the same thing. Its fun in a "share a glass with someone" kind of way. Grand Armory in Grand Haven, MI.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:44 am

So, it looks like once every summer i have a 24 oz can of beer.

It feels good drinking it.
I suspect in five minutes i'll feel a little crappy.

The buzz is actually welcome today.

**Ok. Now i feel like crap. *sigh*
maybe next summer i'll skip it. :D
Last edited by Wilhelm on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:15 pm

I had some time off last Thursday without my kids and decided to do a little beer tour of Massachusetts. I hit Trillium in Canton, got lunch at Corner Grille in Worcester then Treehouse in Charleston then on my way back stopped at Wormtown in Worcester. I wanted to stop by Greater Good in Worcester as well but they don't open until 4 on Thursdays and I had to go pick my kids up. Trillium was cool and not very busy, my first time there. Treehouse also wasn't too bad, had to wait maybe 5 minutes in line.

I picked up a small growler of AHTTE at Trillium that was delicious (plus a couple 4 packs I haven't tried yet), a variety at Treehouse (Eureka was great, Pride & Purpose nothing special, Haze is a little bitter but it might mellow out after a couple weeks in the can), and a couple hoppy DIPAs and some barrel aged stout at Wormtown, which I haven't tried yet.

Next time I get a day off and feel like driving around I want to try Vanished Valley in Ludlow, Medusa in Hudson, maybe some others. Seems like there is a new brewery popping up somewhere a couple times a month.

Root
Grillmaster

Post by Root » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:17 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:44 am So, it looks like once every summer i have a 24 oz can of beer.

Maybe you're drinking the wrong kind of beer? Like, the kind that comes in a 24 oz can?

Either way, my advice is to steer into the skid and drink another one.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:43 pm

Root wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:17 pm
Wilhelm wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:44 am So, it looks like once every summer i have a 24 oz can of beer.

Maybe you're drinking the wrong kind of beer? Like, the kind that comes in a 24 oz can?

Either way, my advice is to steer into the skid and drink another one.
It's not something i have in my diet anymore.
But i have drank many a good beer in my time. : )

GrizzlyAdam

Post by GrizzlyAdam » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:42 am

Hamburgerfan wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:21 pm How does Bell's expedition stout age? I bought a 6-pack 3 or 4 years ago and drank 1 bottle. Didn't particularly care for it compared to other imperial stouts. Maybe it'll be better now?
I've aged Expedition for 4 years and thought it was great. Mellowed very nicely. But I enjoy it fresh, too.
Allentown wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:55 am Tried the Founders Barrel Runner (rum barrel aged DIPA) yesterday. Terrible. I almost couldn't get through a 4oz pour. It tasted like rum flavoring. Almost as bad as Founders Lizard of Koz, which tasted like blueberry-flavored cold medicine.
If I had a bigger glass, it probably would join the list of drain-pour beers.
Barrel aging jumped the shark as soon as someone tried it with an IPA. Every one I've tasted was disgusting.